C32 Supercharger

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 02:39 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
C32 Supercharger

One of the spare S/C's arrived today and I took some pictures for everyone. I'm going to send this unit to 1FastC32 so he can take a look at the insides and whatnot.

Here are some pics.

If you want to see something specific, please let either 1FastC32 or myself know.

I hope to rebuild the two units I bought off of ebay, so if someone knows the needed parts and have their part numbers, please post it up. I think it would be nice to be able to rebuild these as needed without buying a refurb.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
AMG-Jerry (and 1FastC32) - I was on the C203 forum looking at what people have done w/ their 2002 Coupes (m111 2.3L supercharged engine) and I noticed a couple people talking about porting their S/C through a company called Stiegemeier (http://www.stiegemeier.com/) - apparently Cobras and Lightnings do this a lot and make pretty nice gains. Anyway, since you guys seem to tackle every conceivable project in the quest for more power (please take that as a compliment - it's intended as one), I wondered if you'd looked into this for the C32 S/C. I'd presume that someone would only pursue this if they're already at Stage II (i.e. ECU, pulley, headers) or higher... but it's an interesting idea.

Your thoughts?
Old 06-28-2007, 09:26 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
AMG-Jerry (and 1FastC32) - I was on the C203 forum looking at what people have done w/ their 2002 Coupes (m111 2.3L supercharged engine) and I noticed a couple people talking about porting their S/C through a company called Stiegemeier (http://www.stiegemeier.com/) - apparently Cobras and Lightnings do this a lot and make pretty nice gains. Anyway, since you guys seem to tackle every conceivable project in the quest for more power (please take that as a compliment - it's intended as one), I wondered if you'd looked into this for the C32 S/C. I'd presume that someone would only pursue this if they're already at Stage II (i.e. ECU, pulley, headers) or higher... but it's an interesting idea.

Your thoughts?

Thanks!

I took a look at the website and they have a MB S/C pictured on the lower left side of the page. So, I think that someone should give them a call to see what they could do.

I did notice that the S/C has room for improvement, but I'm not sure how much power will be gained.

It's worth a shot though... and depending on the price, I might be willing to do it. If not, I will be more than happy to beg 1Fast to port mine for me. I would also like to polish the blade again and clean everything out.

But before I open her up, I need to find gaskets and the oil so I can put it back together correctly.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM

Your thoughts?
Hey guys:

Interseting point from the above website:

Never run a phenolic spacer between a Lightning plenum and blower, this will cause extra heat to remain in the blower case and failure will follow.

This was what I have been saying about the heat transfer issue with phenolic spacers, ie what side are you trying to protect, since the blower generates heat PV=NRT.

Oh well, food for thought

See yeah
Old 06-29-2007, 11:26 AM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Vadim has mentioned before that there is very little to be gained from porting the SC, as that is not where the bottleneck is.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Audi C7.5 S6
not really

Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Hey guys:

Interseting point from the above website:

Never run a phenolic spacer between a Lightning plenum and blower, this will cause extra heat to remain in the blower case and failure will follow.

This was what I have been saying about the heat transfer issue with phenolic spacers, ie what side are you trying to protect, since the blower generates heat PV=NRT.

Oh well, food for thought

See yeah
The spacers that Evosport sells, go between the air surge tank plenums, above the supercharger mounting plate. They have no effect on the supercharger temp.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by m444
The spacers that Evosport sells, go between the air surge tank plenums, above the supercharger mounting plate. They have no effect on the supercharger temp.
I agree,

But

They do have the effect of blocking the supercharger from LOOSING its heat. This is what the article was detailing. Since the supercharger operates around 250 degrees farenhiet, at boost, how will it loose this heat?

Oh well, I am not looking for an argument, just wanted to point out a little info. Suit yourself, But I know I WON'T be running Phenolic on my toy.

See yeah
Old 06-29-2007, 12:44 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
I agree,

But

They do have the effect of blocking the supercharger from LOOSING its heat. This is what the article was detailing. Since the supercharger operates around 250 degrees farenhiet, at boost, how will it loose this heat?

Oh well, I am not looking for an argument, just wanted to point out a little info. Suit yourself, But I know I WON'T be running Phenolic on my toy.

See yeah
I hate to say it, but I think you are confused on where the spacers go on a C32...They go between the manifold and the surge tanks
. What you are thinking happens, does not happen on our car. Here is a picture of them on my car. Notice the SC is next to spacers pictured.

In the article you are refering to, they are isolating the SC from the manifold with a phenolic spacer. This is different than the spacer for our car.

Not arguing. Just pointing out that what you are refering to has nothing do do with the spacers for our car. The phenolic spacers for the C32 work very well.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:18 PM
SPONSOR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by code3smith
I hate to say it, but I think you are confused on where the spacers go on a C32...They go between the manifold and the surge tanks
. What you are thinking happens, does not happen on our car. Here is a picture of them on my car. Notice the SC is next to spacers pictured.

In the article you are refering to, they are isolating the SC from the manifold with a phenolic spacer. This is different than the spacer for our car.

Not arguing. Just pointing out that what you are refering to has nothing do do with the spacers for our car. The phenolic spacers for the C32 work very well.
agreed...

although, as i have said before, they can only do so much with all of the heat that is being produced...
Old 06-29-2007, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by 1FASTC32
agreed...

although, as i have said before, they can only do so much with all of the heat that is being produced...
Okay, me bad

Fast, do you have a link so that I can see the air path through our engines please

Thanks in advance

See yeah
Old 06-29-2007, 06:28 PM
SPONSOR

Okay, me bad

Fast, do you have a link so that I can see the air path through our engines please

Thanks in advance

See yeah
i sent jerry a diagram of what this looks like so that he can post it up...but here is the order:

Air box-->throttle body-->supercharger-->intercooler-->air intake plenums-->head

hope that makes sense...
Old 06-29-2007, 07:22 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
Here you go...
Attached Thumbnails C32 Supercharger-erick.jpg  
Old 06-29-2007, 07:57 PM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by AMG-Jerry
Here you go...

thanks! i know my drawing skills are pretty crappy, but i just did that quick to give you an idea of what direction the air flows...