C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

EBC "Red Stuff" Pads and Brake Sensors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 12:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 E450 Coupe 4Matic; 2018 Audi Q5; 2019 Toyota Corolla Hatchback
EBC "Red Stuff" Pads and Brake Sensors

Anyone knows whether I have to modify the front pads for the OEM brake sensor to fit in during the installation?

Part number is DP31363C EBC "RED STUFF".

The pads will be installed on the C32.

Thanks.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Ultraman
Anyone knows whether I have to modify the front pads for the OEM brake sensor to fit in during the installation?

Part number is DP31363C EBC "RED STUFF".

The pads will be installed on the C32.

Thanks.
The EBC pad should come pre-drilled with a hole. The "nose" of the sensor goes in there and the pad back is notched to slide the sensor into place. The EBC pads come with a sensor that does NOT fit our cars, so you either need to re-use the sensor (if it was not worn through) or buy a new sensor ($10). There will be a sensor on the right front and right rear wheels only, and only on one side (inside) pad.

Worst case, if there is no hole, or it is not big enough, it's very easy to drill it out.

EBC Redstuff is a great brake pad. Good luck.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:05 AM

Thanks,

I see, so basically, the installer can just remove the OEM pads and slide in the new "EBC" with anti-squeal compound and connect the sensors.

I will tell him tomorrow. Any special precautions while breaking-in the pads?
Old 08-01-2007, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Thanks,

I see, so basically, the installer can just remove the OEM pads and slide in the new "EBC" with anti-squeal compound and connect the sensors.

I will tell him tomorrow. Any special precautions while breaking-in the pads?
Sure, although I've never used anti-squeal compound. The only thing to look out for is that the rear pads are just a smidge too tall to slide in the caliper easily, and will need to be ground/sanded down on the top and bottom edges.

Break in should be like any pad. I'm probably ****, but I like to give them a workout to heat up the pads, then let them cool. You may get some squeal while breaking in, but give it a week.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
Sure, although I've never used anti-squeal compound. The only thing to look out for is that the rear pads are just a smidge too tall to slide in the caliper easily, and will need to be ground/sanded down on the top and bottom edges.

Break in should be like any pad. I'm probably ****, but I like to give them a workout to heat up the pads, then let them cool. You may get some squeal while breaking in, but give it a week.
I need only the front pads to be replaced and the brake senor is fine.

How come you don't need anti-squeal for the pads? I thought it is a must because squealing is so annoying while you are braking.

Regrading the break-in, do I need to step the brake pedal a little bit harder in order to stop? Also, any harms that I use my OEM rotors and EBC for the stepup?
Old 08-01-2007, 12:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
when I bought my red-stuff pads, the sensors were a bit too small. wasn't hard at all to make it a hair larger to make the sensor fit.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
I need only the front pads to be replaced and the brake senor is fine.

How come you don't need anti-squeal for the pads? I thought it is a must because squealing is so annoying while you are braking.

Regrading the break-in, do I need to step the brake pedal a little bit harder in order to stop? Also, any harms that I use my OEM rotors and EBC for the stepup?

Anti-squeal is basically a goo that prevents a wobbly pad from vibrating in the caliper and making noise. Some cars need it, others don't. I've never needed it in any of my cars (MB and Audi). I don't know if this is why my pads never squeal, but as a DIY-er, I know that our pads come with a metal shim (thin, stainless sheet) that clips over the back of the pad. MAKE SURE that your shop keeps and re-uses that shim. Maybe that's the secret weapon to defeat squealing.

Break in requires that you do a few hard stops (controlled by firm -- a book should slide off your front seat!) in succession to heat up pads. Nothing crazy. If you can smell the pads cooking, then they're hot enough.

And EBC pads are fine on OEM rotors. The RedStuff ceramic did no harm to my rotors. You might find some *****in' on the web about EBC RedStuff pads hurting rotors, but that refers to an earlier formulation that has been changed. The old Reds were not ceramic.

Last edited by Fifth Ring; 08-01-2007 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:06 PM

Anti-squeal is basically a goo that prevents a wobbly pad from vibrating in the caliper and making noise. Some cars need it, others don't. I've never needed it in any of my cars (MB and Audi). I don't know if this is why my pads never squeal, but as a DIY-er, I know that our pads come with a metal shim (thin, stainless sheet) that clips over the back of the pad. MAKE SURE that your shop keeps and re-uses that shim. Maybe that's the secret weapon to defeat squealing.

Break in requires that you do a few hard stops (controlled by firm -- a book should slide off your front seat!) in succession to heat up pads. Nothing crazy. If you can smell the pads cooking, then they're hot enough.

And EBC pads are fine on OEM rotors. The RedStuff ceramic did no harm to my rotors. You might find some *****in' on the web about EBC RedStuff pads hurting rotors, but that refers to an earlier formulation that has been changed. The old Reds were not ceramic.
Your explanations and experiences made me feel more comfortable for using the new pads.

Okay, I make sure the shop will use the same the shims.

Thanks.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:54 PM

Just installed the front pads this afternoon, they are great compared to the OEM except there is squealing noise while braking at low speed.

The pad did have a hole for the brake sensor and the sensors included in the package DO NOT fit. As a result, I am using my unworn brake sensor!
Old 08-02-2007, 11:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
Just installed the front pads this afternoon, they are great compared to the OEM except there is squealing noise while braking at low speed.

The pad did have a hole for the brake sensor and the sensors included in the package DO NOT fit. As a result, I am using my unworn brake sensor!
mine squeeked for a little while but it stopped after a couple days
Old 08-03-2007, 12:09 AM

Do I really need to do some hard braking in order to stop the noise (i.e. break-in the pads)?

People keep looking at my car while I am preparing to stop at the traffic lights, it is so annoying.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Do I really need to do some hard braking in order to stop the noise (i.e. break-in the pads)?

People keep looking at my car while I am preparing to stop at the traffic lights, it is so annoying.
You hate the squealing, but you don't want to do the bedding-in procedure? Seems to me you could skip the bedding in if the brakes did NOT squeal.

Find a long open road, and do a series of brutal stops from 45 (or more) down to 10. Then park the car (DON'T use the parking brake at this point), and let it cool.

It took my brakes about a week or 10 days to get silent.

It's a fact of life that big, high-performance brakes require more careful bedding in. If you want easy quiet brakes, get a Lincoln Town Car!
Old 08-03-2007, 09:27 AM

You hate the squealing, but you don't want to do the bedding-in procedure? Seems to me you could skip the bedding in if the brakes did NOT squeal.

Find a long open road, and do a series of brutal stops from 45 (or more) down to 10. Then park the car (DON'T use the parking brake at this point), and let it cool.

It took my brakes about a week or 10 days to get silent.

It's a fact of life that big, high-performance brakes require more careful bedding in. If you want easy quiet brakes, get a Lincoln Town Car!
Ok, I may try doing your suggestion during this long weekend.

Ha Ha, Lincoln Town car may have other issues as well.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:18 AM
SPONSOR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just FYI, i have a 2 sensors for the front and one for the rear...

you might want to check before you start changing pads....
Old 08-03-2007, 10:30 AM

I have one only on the front passenger side.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
I have one only on the front passenger side.
Same here. One front, one back. Both on passenger side.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by 1FASTC32
just FYI, i have a 2 sensors for the front and one for the rear...

you might want to check before you start changing pads....
Yours may be a special edition and you have to buy 2 instead of 1 if they worn out (j/k).
Old 05-23-2008, 09:32 AM
Almost a Member!

Do the pads from autowearhouse come with the pins needed for install? I lost a pin and the pad slipped on my OEMs... so I will need the pins when installing
Old 05-23-2008, 09:40 AM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by highvoltz
Do the pads from autowearhouse come with the pins needed for install? I lost a pin and the pad slipped on my OEMs... so I will need the pins when installing
no
Old 05-23-2008, 10:20 AM
Almost a Member!

Do we know where I can purchase the pins online? Nearest Dealer is 1.5 hours away.