C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Technical issue (C55)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 01:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche
Technical issue (C55)

As I mentioned in another thread, Mercedes-Benz had replaced the motor on my C55 as a result of an oil consumption issue... About a week after the replacement, I noticed a squeaking noise and it sounded like a belt/pulley issue.. Anyways, I took it into the dealership and they told me that it was the A/C pulley on the drive belt... The tech's repair report reads "Engine drive belt was noisy.. Referred to DTB P-B-83.55/87a. Installed shorter belt to eliminate AC compressor in belt drive system.. Noise was no longer present.."

After I got the car back, I noticed a loss of power.. If I'd floor it from a stand still it didn't even chirp the tires, which was definitely not the case before... I'm guessing the elimination of the pulley and shorter drive belt is the culprit... I'd appreciate some feedback....
Eric...
Old 09-14-2007, 04:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09 GL 550, 08 BMW X5 4.8, 05 C55 AMG, 05 GSX-R1000 (sold), Denali XL (sold)
Interesting!! I have the same sensation after an updated re-flash. Did you get a re-flash? Maybe it is time for an ecu upgrade thru Renntech.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2005 C55; 2003 360 Modena
The two are unrelated. The DTB that you note, and the use of the shorter belt, is merely to determine if the A/C compressor pulley design is the cause of the noise. The dealer, as instructed, used a shorter belt to eliminate the A/C compressor and verify that the noise is gone. If yes, then they have diagnosed the noise properly, update the pulley of the A/C compressor to the new design, and returned the original belt back to the engine.

Virtually impossible that this would lead to a loss of power complaint.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:57 PM

Porsche
Originally Posted by kjb55
The two are unrelated. The DTB that you note, and the use of the shorter belt, is merely to determine if the A/C compressor pulley design is the cause of the noise. The dealer, as instructed, used a shorter belt to eliminate the A/C compressor and verify that the noise is gone. If yes, then they have diagnosed the noise properly, update the pulley of the A/C compressor to the new design, and returned the original belt back to the engine.

Virtually impossible that this would lead to a loss of power complaint.

Thank you very much for the response.....
When I got the new motor it felt pretty much how my old motor felt when it was new.... After I had the belt work done I can definitely tell the difference in power, especially off the line.. If the ECU was flashed, then I would have noticed the power lag after the motor was replaced, which wasn't the case...
Eric...
Old 09-14-2007, 06:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG - RIP :(
maybe the new a/c compressor has more "drag" to it. Does it feel weak when the A/C is off?
Old 09-15-2007, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2005 C55; 2003 360 Modena
Originally Posted by 1FSTAMG
maybe the new a/c compressor has more "drag" to it. Does it feel weak when the A/C is off?
The A/C compressor would not have been changed.

This was only an update to the pulley design. See the attachment, the left picture explains how the shorter belt was used to eliminate the compressor pulley to verify the noise complaint, the right picture shows the new pieces exchanged to eliminate the noise.

It was probably a short block that was exchanged, thus the accessories from the original engine were fitted to the new engine, hence the old pulley design.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Picture 8.pdf (73.7 KB, 206 views)
Old 09-15-2007, 06:54 PM

Porsche
Originally Posted by kjb55
The A/C compressor would not have been changed.

This was only an update to the pulley design. See the attachment, the left picture explains how the shorter belt was used to eliminate the compressor pulley to verify the noise complaint, the right picture shows the new pieces exchanged to eliminate the noise.

It was probably a short block that was exchanged, thus the accessories from the original engine were fitted to the new engine, hence the old pulley design.

So then I'm guessing this is probably a software issue.... I really appreciate your help..
Eric...
Old 10-28-2008, 01:31 AM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ekaru: Can you give me any further info on how you got them to replace the motor? I have gross oil consumption as well and they even drove my car 300 miles without my permission. I would like to know whom to contact. Thanks for your help in advance. Sean
Old 10-28-2008, 01:48 AM

C55
Originally Posted by spr
Ekaru: Can you give me any further info on how you got them to replace the motor? I have gross oil consumption as well and they even drove my car 300 miles without my permission. I would like to know whom to contact. Thanks for your help in advance. Sean
sean, ekaru is a friend of mine from a diff forum but hes never online anymore
Old 10-28-2008, 01:02 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

Can you find out whom he contacted to actually get some action on replacing the motor? I note he wrote a letter to MB USA and AMG. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. Sean
Old 10-29-2008, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
C63
The tech put the shorter belt to isolate the noise (thus pointing out the ac as the source of noise) Did he change out your ac comp?
Old 10-31-2008, 11:35 AM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

Anyone have input on their driving my car over 300 miles without giving me notice nor obtaining my consent to do so? When speaking with the "group leader" he stated oh, we don't abuse the car, hell we don't even get paid to do it. #1 yeah right. #2 if you weren't paid for it, that means it was driven after hours, at night likely, and stored off premises wherein who the hell knows what was going on with it or with whom! Further the guy was absolutely unapologetic and dismissive.

I am pissed out of my mind still! This makes me want to go back to Porsche and NEVER buy another AMG, (I have had several).

Thought with dealing with it? It seems writing a letter to MB NA and AMG is the only route, (I am an attorney). I am to speak with the "service manager" today. Any other person with whom I should speak with, e.g. who is the highest level of authority or oversight at a typical dealership (position)?

Thanks! SPR.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:44 AM

06 C55
The GM is pretty much the top of the food chain, shy of the owner, at the dealership. A letter to MBNA is probably the best option but they are likely to tell you to talk to the dealer.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:52 AM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good to know. I put in a call to my friend who I usually take the car to in LA who is the Shop forman, Master Mechanic and Mr. AMG. He is however on vacation.

I think the relevant concerns are no notice, no consent, driven after work, likely at night, don't know where, how, or with whom, and likely stored offsite.

They have had the car for about a month all to tell me nothing is wrong re: oil consumption.

FYI they replaced a fuel pump for the CEL and dying issue.

Last edited by spr; 10-31-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by spr
Anyone have input on their driving my car over 300 miles without giving me notice nor obtaining my consent to do so? When speaking with the "group leader" he stated oh, we don't abuse the car, hell we don't even get paid to do it. #1 yeah right. #2 if you weren't paid for it, that means it was driven after hours, at night likely, and stored off premises wherein who the hell knows what was going on with it or with whom! Further the guy was absolutely unapologetic and dismissive.

I am pissed out of my mind still! This makes me want to go back to Porsche and NEVER buy another AMG, (I have had several).

Thought with dealing with it? It seems writing a letter to MB NA and AMG is the only route, (I am an attorney). I am to speak with the "service manager" today. Any other person with whom I should speak with, e.g. who is the highest level of authority or oversight at a typical dealership (position)?

Thanks! SPR.

Counselor, what are your damages?? I agree that this is excessive for a "test drive", BUT other than a tank of gas and an AMG hat, what do you think they're going to give you (probably an apology letter, tank of gas and an AMG hat!!). Its the dealer who did this, NOT Affalterbach NOR MBUSA. Its a dealer issue. (and we wonder why stealerships in IL are going out of business at a rapid rate; We just lost Champion Dodge in Barrington and Extreme Ford in Crystal Lake. Champion had been there for probably 40 years or more. Its all about loyalty and customer service and this dealer gave you neither of those.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:07 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

You fail to note the overall goal of resolving the oil consumption issue- The 300m drive is tangental and pendant.

Don't comment if you don't have anything relevant on point.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Old 10-31-2008, 07:44 PM

06 C55
The flying pig beat me to that point about damages. I agree that it is a crappy thing to do without authorization but as a civil litigation defense lawyer I'd be happy to defend the case if it was against one of my dealers. The point that I'd make with them is regarding potential premature expiration of the warranty as a result of the additional miles you did not get the use of, combined with the fact that if there is an over-rev or some other driver related issue you could end up being the one that pays the price. You might convince them to put some quantity of good-will onto the car at some point in the future. MB dealers have a monthly allowance of good will dollars from NA that they can allocate to customers that need some massaging.

Personally, I think a pleasant, rational, and firm approach will probably work best in getting either the dealer or NA to do something appropriate. Let them make the first offer of resolving a serious customer service faux pas.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:53 AM

05 C55
Originally Posted by spr
Good to know. I put in a call to my friend who I usually take the car to in LA who is the Shop forman, Master Mechanic and Mr. AMG. He is however on vacation.

I think the relevant concerns are no notice, no consent, driven after work, likely at night, don't know where, how, or with whom, and likely stored offsite.

They have had the car for about a month all to tell me nothing is wrong re: oil consumption.

FYI they replaced a fuel pump for the CEL and dying issue.
+1 on the General Manager. That is usually the biggest cheese, although my place actually has a president for some reason. if we submit a warranty claim with road test time on it, they will not pay it. he was probably honest about that part, but i would definitely like to know who had my car, and where it had been. the fact that it was returned to you still having an oil consumption issue would not make me very happy either. a registered letter to the General Manager is the place to start. that way if his response is not to your satisfaction, you have it on paper and you then make a case with MB corporate. good luck.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:30 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the more helpful replies. I spoke with the GM friday and was firm etc. I obtained the mb na address from him regarding the issue and got him to agree to do the weighted oil test with me driving it to confirm the consumption. I have yet to receive the car back however. It's been at the dealer for about a month now!

What do you suggest regarding the good will compensation? I don't really want a key chain...