C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Same brand tire different sidewall stiffness

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 03:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 and 2009 Audi S5
Same brand tire different sidewall stiffness

A few of you might remember I had an issue with the 32 feeling a bit floaty after changing my two rear tires and that same day hitting a deep hole at high speed getting on the freeway. The two rears were the same tires as my two fronts, so I didn't think too much about them.

I assumed it was something up with the suspension after confirming the alignment specs with the company that put on the tires.

After two trips to the dealer and nothing to report, I went back to the installers and discovered that my two new rear tires were Y rated, and my fronts were W rated. Different sidewall stiffnesses.

I then found out that Cooper Zeon 2XS's don't come in matching sets for our cars, or at least that's what the installers are telling me. I can't believe they didn't tell me they wouldn't match. I just figured the same brand, same tread pattern, hell they must be the same. That'll teach me. The manager told me that's why they recommend always changing all 4. Well thanks pal, I appreciate the words of wisdom after the fact. And yes, I wll be getting a steep discount on my next set.

I just thought I'd throw that out there just in case some of you end up with the same issue and chase your tails.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E36M3 race car/Ferrari F355 GTS/1973 Mini 1275GT/Fiat Abarth/ML63/SLK55
why on earth would you put a $100 tire on a hi po precision car like a c32?

should have kicked in another $200 to budget and gotten some decent rubber.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Y and W ratings don't mean that the sidewall is necessarily stiffer.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by e1000
Y and W ratings don't mean that the sidewall is necessarily stiffer.
Yeah. And I really don't think you'd experience a radically altered ride. My fronts/backs are currently mismatched (ContiSports up front and Yoko AVS100 rear) and I've flipped them front-to-back with only minor variation in ride quality (the Yokos are a harder compound).
Old 09-20-2007, 03:58 AM

First of all, I don't track the car, I just drive it on the street and though I'm moderately aggressive in the corners, the wife gets a wee bit upset every now and then if I only slightly push it.

Secondly, they may be a bit less expensive, but they're good enough for this car, which is by no means an incredible handler in stock form.
I didn't want to spend a few hundred more on tires because I bought coilovers and as soon as I put them on I will change all four tires to something better. The wife will have to hold on a little tighter.

These tires have decent grip, are relatively quiet and when they begin to slide they do it predictably. They also give me a bit more miles than others and that's why my friends!

As for different ratings, the same brand tire with different ratings usually means a differing sidewall stiffness, perhaps not always, but usually. And believe me, I have had everything else checked and rechecked. The shop foreman who builds and races cars also felt this was the issue.

I guess we shall see.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by ralleyone
Secondly, they may be a bit less expensive, but they're good enough for this car, which is by no means an incredible handler in stock form.
I didn't want to spend a few hundred more on tires because I bought coilovers and as soon as I put them on I will change all four tires to something better. The wife will have to hold on a little tighter.

These tires have decent grip, are relatively quiet and when they begin to slide they do it predictably. They also give me a bit more miles than others and that's why my friends!

As for different ratings, the same brand tire with different ratings usually means a differing sidewall stiffness, perhaps not always, but usually. And believe me, I have had everything else checked and rechecked. The shop foreman who builds and races cars also felt this was the issue.

I guess we shall see.
Hey there ralleyone:

As far as the C32 handeling, YOU ARE DEAD WRONG

It IS a precison handling car, my G-tech shows 0.97 G's max and I average 0.95 at the track using Bridgestone 050 PP's

Decent grip is a very relative term, subject to experience. I agree with the other posts here that Yokohama ev100, or even Kuhmos would have been a better choice for our toys. And yes, tire wear is a very valid point, just not one I care about, which is why I went with a 140 treadwear.

As far as sidewall stifness, the rating on the tire does NOT automaticaly indiocated this, ratings are for speed, ie temperature.
Kepp in mind that SOME manufactures DO vary the side wall stifness, as in Goodyear GS-D3's from a W to a Y rating.

Oh well, to each his own, but I could not have rationalized Coppers for my toy. My life/fun is worth more to me that a $100

See yeah
Old 09-20-2007, 06:27 PM

2005 Renntech C class
funny....my car definitely don't drive like a precision handling car. Front end is sluggish and heavy and definitely not 'precise'.

Tire manufacturers change all sorts of stuff from size to size...let alone speed ratings. Usually tires generate a lot of heat at sustained high speeds so the tire company will take measures to engineer around that.

Last edited by dorikin_86; 09-20-2007 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by dorikin_86
funny....my car definitely don't drive like a precision handling car. Front end is sluggish and heavy and definitely not 'precise'.

Tire manufacturers change all sorts of stuff from size to size...let alone speed ratings. Usually tires generate a lot of heat at sustained high speeds so the tire company will take measures to engineer around that.
Hey dorikin:

Not trying to bust your chops, but this little car REALLY does handle well. I have raced alot of cars in my life, and I am not saying that it is GT3, or Corvette, but it REALLY empresses alot of guys at the track. IT OUT HANDLED MY M NOTICABLY. Although my M had Michelle pilots which SUCK!

Anyway, if your car plows, is sluggish, etc, etc, and you checked the basics, GET HER LOOKED AT NOW

Something must be a miss, as the C should amaze you, ie being a 4 door

See yeah
Old 09-21-2007, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ralleyone
First of all, I don't track the car, I just drive it on the street and though I'm moderately aggressive in the corners, the wife gets a wee bit upset every now and then if I only slightly push it.

I guess we shall see.
you don't have to push a car to feel the benefit of good tires...but anyways i hear you re the coilovers.

not sure of your rims but if stock then why don't you swop rears to front and see if it makes a diff. go into a large parking lot if you want to push the car don't do it on the road as you will be oversteering to some degree.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by dorikin_86

not sure the statement re heat is correct. i've never heard of that being in issue........i do know that being able to withstand centrifugal force w/o shedding tread or belts as essential.

Dorkin what tires do you have on your car?
Old 09-22-2007, 12:30 AM

I hear all of you, but I definitely disagree this is a great handling car.

A great handling car for a typical 5 year old 4 door sedan maybe, but let's agree that in stock form, during the transition from left to right as in a slalom you can feel alot of weight transfer going on before anything starts to go in the right direction. In addition, the off-center feel of the steering just doesn't feel quite right.

I remember reading a mag that compared the m3 to the 32 and the quote was perfect. It said that the c32 basically took the corners as fast as the M3 but felt crazy doing it or something like that.

Now don't get me wrong, I love this little car to death. But I'm also honest about its limitations. Power, you bet. Looks, comfort, utility all there. Handling, good but not great. Better tires would probably make a great difference, "but I don't need great tires to tell it's not all in the tires."

I appreciate your comments and appreciate your taste in vehicles. This is definitely one car I will never forget.