C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Dumb question...Downshift_upshift..etc...C55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Dumb question...Downshift_upshift..etc...C55

So this is a really dumb question,
Its related on how to downshift and upshift. When driving and I need torque/power I can down shift? If so how many gears? Can i screw up my car if I do it to often?

If I want to burn rubber while already running, how do I do that? Do I down shift 2 gears and step on gas? can a C55 do that?

I know I am probably going to get blasted...All I can say is that i am just learning....
Old 10-10-2007, 03:07 PM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by rhernand07
So this is a really dumb question,
Its related on how to downshift and upshift. When driving and I need torque/power I can down shift? If so how many gears? Can i screw up my car if I do it to often?

If I want to burn rubber while already running, how do I do that? Do I down shift 2 gears and step on gas? can a C55 do that?

I know I am probably going to get blasted...All I can say is that i am just learning....
You will not do any harm to your car by downshifting. Car will match gear to your speed and revs, it is "foolproof".It works both ways, Computer to protect engine and transmission won't let you go past red line. I've done it many times w/ my C32 ( same tranny I think -don't quote me on this one). BTW I don't think you will burn rubber doing so, even w/ ESP OFF it will still cut power to the wheels.
I didn't try this in dyno mode yet.
But it will give you nice kick in the rear.

Regards

Jack
Old 10-10-2007, 03:43 PM

2006 C55 AMG, 2.8L Quattro, Softail Nostalgia 1550 (Stage III), Sporster (slammed)
Definitely down-shift! I do it all the time in M and S modes. Try blipping the throttle a teenie bit just as you are bumping it left. It will sync up better and be a little smoother. It's a little tricky when you are breaking but you can do it just before or practice your heel-toe. I like M mode and love the way the up/down shifts hit noticeably harder. It saves your brakes and keeps you in the power curve better. Don't do it if you are cornering hard because it can upset the balance. Best to stay on the power a bit while cornering to keep the weight transfered to the rear tires better. If you shift/let off the weight jumps forward and the tail will swing out on you. The AMG programming will hold it while cornering on purpose for this same reason. Your tranny can take it. Also you can "shift to optimum", a feature of most of the MB transmissions, by holding the manumatic left for about 1 full second and it will skip to the best gear. This can really whack you though if you don't blip-sync. But I don't do that much at all because it has a real lag built in that I hate.

Last edited by Drop-a-Daimler; 10-10-2007 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:47 PM

Thanks!!!
Old 10-12-2007, 06:54 PM

05 CLK55
Originally Posted by Drop-a-Daimler
Try blipping the throttle a teenie bit just as you are bumping it left. It will sync up better and be a little smoother. It's a little tricky when you are breaking but you can do it just before or practice your heel-toe.
If the C32 transmission is the same as the one in C55, then I wouldn’t recommend feathering the throttle as you downshift. This technique is indeed heard and practiced by many, but rev matching by heel-toe and throttle feathering is more for manual cars or the SMG, which runs on a clutch transmission. For the C class, we use a different transmission that hardly allows or needs rev matching. I could be wrong, but its just my 2cents.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:46 AM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

We're only talking about doing it for manual mode otherwise it jerks hard and puts stress on the tranny. With a little throttle blip before it's smooth.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:00 AM

E320
What about downshifting to come to a hard stop? The other day I tried to beat a yellow light, and as I approached, realized that there was a cop waiting to my left. To avoid a ticket, I hit the brakes and went throught the gears (from D to 2). I went from 50 to 0 in a few seconds...Does that damage the tranny?

Thanks.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:47 AM

2005 C230KSS 6spd
D is all gears. Therefore, from what you tell me D to 2 doesn't seem like you downshifted at all. matter of fact, it seems as if all you did was brake.
that aside, no it probably won't damage your tranny but i can't say for sure. it's kind of like when people tell you running your engine to redline is harmless/harmful for ur car its in the air.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:29 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

I know what he's talking about. You can actually manually screw witht the gears while in S much like M. The tranny won't let you downshift if it is going to hurt it just think of that.