C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

BEWARE of STUCK GAS PEDAL on C55 and maybe other C-class mercs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 04:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG
BEWARE of STUCK GAS PEDAL on C55 and maybe other C-class mercs

Last week I was getting onto a freeway onramp at WOT. The gas pedal got stuck and at the time I didn't know what was going on. The car kept accelerating past 100 mph. Luckily after pressing on the brake pedal to no avail, I was able to jar the gas pedal loose and slow down. I stopped at a gas station to see if I could determine the problem. With the engine off, I floored the gas pedal firmly several times and one time it got stuck while fully depressed. Upon closer inspection, the flimsy gas pedal had flexed and the top edge became wedged under a plastic ridge underneath the footwell. I had to reach down and pull it out to dislodge it. Seems like a design flaw, as other members have posted similar experiences. A recall needs to be issued for this pedal design. Looks the same as the ones in the new C63s too...

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...as+pedal+stuck
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...as+pedal+stuck

If this ever happens to anyone else, remember you can always shift to neutral.

Car: 2005 C55 AMG w/ roughly 30k miles
Old 10-13-2007, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
If this was truly a design flaw, this would have been addressed by MB long ago. Can you imagine the lawsuits and negative PR from shows like 60 Minutes? Any sign of a life threatening flaw turns into an instant mandatory recall. Heck, when MB found relays that got too hot it turned into a big recall.

If this really did happen, I'd imagine it is specific to your car, due to some modification or damage to your under-dash. I've never heard of this happening to anyone else.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:56 PM

AMG
You are right, it could be isolated to my car, but there was never any damage to the car and no modifications have ever been made. The car is essentially brand new... that's why I wrote the warning.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:27 PM

2005 Brabus C55
hey arnold (the big guy that used to lift weights & roid a bit) ...

could have crushed the pedal and deformed it ... it's a pedal, not a hammer of the gods to unleash the unearthly wrath of a C55.

thanks for the heads up.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:33 PM

2005 Brabus C55
Omg

you're not arnold! you're chuck norris ... happy high kicks.

next ufc: chuck vs chuck ... sorry my $ on the mohawk.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
1. Submit it to NTSB (or NHTSA) can't recall which keeps track. If there are others, it might get some action.

2. I'm pretty sure that if you press the brake and the gas, the computer cuts off the gas eventually. Don't know why yours did not. By any chance, are you running a "Sprintbooster"? Were you in "Dyno Mode"?

3. Brakes should still overcome the engine eventually.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:59 AM
Almost a Member!

I have had the same problem recently! My shoe catches a piece of plastic trim located to the top of the accelerator which in turns traps the pedal in a depressed position! I had a few scary moments until I realised what it was.

Trending Topics

Old 10-17-2007, 01:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 C55 AMG Silver Bullet
i've almost killed myself with this happening to me... i was on the freeway mergeing into a tight spot and the car almost got away from me... for a seccond i thought it was the floor mat getting stuck in the pedal but it was the actuall flimsy part that bent underneath .... sucked *** and it scared me ...

my car has almost been determined a lemon...

the list of problems are ridiculous ...

ohhh and try not to shift into neatural like the other guy did.. i did that once.. and in doing so the tranny went down to 1st gear and the entire car almost lost control due to the tranny jumping down to 1st gear and spinning tires on a transition road going about 80mph that was really wierd.. after the mayhem i pulled it out of gear again and then slowed down and put it in gear the car had no power and errored out the tranny had to turn the car off and restart twice in order to get back on the road...

this car has had the worst track record of all the 16 cars i've owned..
Old 10-17-2007, 07:12 PM

1988 535i 5 speed
Sh*, that would scare the hell out of me! Yeah, if you shift into neutral, its not like a manual where there's nothing connected inside anymore, the tranny thinks it should shift into first, and of course the whole internal shebang is gonna be a huge load, almost like engine braking. Man, hope you get that fixed.