C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

First track day in the "track beater." Like learning all over again!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
First track day in the "track beater." Like learning all over again!

I just got back from VIR after two days with the Audi Club (great group - open to all brands). This was my first day on track with the 944. After spending the past 7 years driving powerful, heavy, automatic sports sedans on track, the 944 was eye-opening. It churns out about 158 HP if everything's perfect, which means that I can't expect to power past anyone. The tires are top -notch (Toyo RA1s) and wide (235 up front, 255s in back) but the suspension is 20 year old OEM stuff. As a result, she leaned like an America's Cup racer. But the suspension dynamics kept the car very well planted. (Yeah, I'll be working on the suspension.)

The biggest challenge was integrating shifting and clutch work with actual driving. It took me 3 full sessions (3 x 20 min.) before I felt somewhat comfortable. Hard braking and downshifting is hard work. I had brain overload more than once.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:55 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Great picture! I imagine going back to a manual after so long can be daunting.

I really wish I lived closer to Willow Springs or Laguna Seca. Of course I live right in the middle of the two...
Old 11-19-2007, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
[QUOTE=Fifth Ring;2511498]I just got back from VIR after two days with the Audi Club (great group - open to all brands). This was my first day on track with the 944. After spending the past 7 years driving powerful, heavy, automatic sports sedans on track, the 944 was eye-opening. It churns out about 158 HP if everything's perfect, which means that I can't expect to power past anyone. The tires are top -notch (Toyo RA1s) and wide (235 up front, 255s in back) but the suspension is 20 year old OEM stuff. As a result, she leaned like an America's Cup racer. But the suspension dynamics kept the car very well planted. (Yeah, I'll be working on the suspension.)

The biggest challenge was integrating shifting and clutch work with actual driving. It took me 3 full sessions (3 x 20 min.) before I felt somewhat comfortable. Hard braking and downshifting is hard work. I had brain overload more than once.
QUOTE]

Hey fifth:

Ah yes, the good old days of heal toe, and trail braking

Some real road workouts my friend. I do miss having to blip the old throttle a few times before entering a bend. As the old saying goes, "The fun has just begun"

Great to see you out there fifth, and enjoy the ride!!!

See yeah
Old 11-19-2007, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E36M3 race car/Ferrari F355 GTS/1973 Mini 1275GT/Fiat Abarth/ML63/SLK55
cool. your 944 looks to be real good shape.

my swift has great pedal set up (wide momo carbon fiber) and makes H&T easy.

i'm sweating with snow tire install...but hey good to know at least someone is having fun.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
Congrats taking the 944 onto the track. I used to drive VW GTi with a 5 speed stick shift before moving to Mercedes and getting spoiled with the AMG Speedshift system.

I had never taken the GTi on the track before, but I can certainly imagine how much harder it is to drive at the limits on a track when you have to worry about things like 1) proper downshift points, and 2) heel and toe downshifting technique to keep the revs up and not to unsettle the car during braking, and doing all this while maintaining maximum braking pressure before a turn.....

But as a track enthusiast, I'm sure you'll agree that your peers will respect you more by doing it the "old fashion" way, without any fancy sequential gearbox or "smart" automatic gearbox. I'm confident that mastering gear shifting on a manual transmission car on a track will make YOU feel a lot more accomplished as well.......I know I would feel that way.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:57 PM
SPONSOR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great Pic Fifth! i bet it was a blast to be on the track with that car...i need to use up the track time that i have been accumulating at MSR-H...should be a good time!
Old 11-19-2007, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by AWDman
cool. your 944 looks to be real good shape.

my swift has great pedal set up (wide momo carbon fiber) and makes H&T easy.

i'm sweating with snow tire install...but hey good to know at least someone is having fun.
Before my first session, I said to my instructor that I did not like the pedal configuration on the 944. The brake seemed to high off the floor, making it hard to blip the throttle while braking. By the first turn I realized the Porsche genius. On-track, you press the brake MUCH harder than on the street; and as a result, it drops lower and matches up perfectly for heal-toe action.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
...It churns out about 158 HP if everything's perfect...
Is that accounting for the K&N?

Even with the stock underpinnings, I’d imagine your apex velocity already exceeds that of the W203. A colleague had a well prepared (ITS) 944 that never failed to deliver great balance and prodigious grip. He traded it for a ’89 Turbo S. His times are considerably quicker than mine. Of course, he knows how to drive!

The upside is that Porsche has several desirable pieces in its suspension and brake parts’ bins that can be easily retrofitted. The aftermarket is teeming, as well. A little horse trading and you’ll soon be even quicker.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
I just got back from VIR after two days with the Audi Club (great group - open to all brands). This was my first day on track with the 944. After spending the past 7 years driving powerful, heavy, automatic sports sedans on track, the 944 was eye-opening. It churns out about 158 HP if everything's perfect, which means that I can't expect to power past anyone. The tires are top -notch (Toyo RA1s) and wide (235 up front, 255s in back) but the suspension is 20 year old OEM stuff. As a result, she leaned like an America's Cup racer. But the suspension dynamics kept the car very well planted. (Yeah, I'll be working on the suspension.)

Great pic! Nice car
Old 11-21-2007, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Update

A friend pointed out the picture below. It shows (i) my left front sway bar hanging loose, and (ii) what happens when you don't have a functioning sway bar! What's funny is that I did not notice the handling difference, and what got me to the pits was the clunking sound. I re-attached the bar and was back out the next session. Still leaning a LOT, but not this much.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by splinter
Is that accounting for the K&N?

Even with the stock underpinnings, I’d imagine your apex velocity already exceeds that of the W203. A colleague had a well prepared (ITS) 944 that never failed to deliver great balance and prodigious grip. He traded it for a ’89 Turbo S. His times are considerably quicker than mine. Of course, he knows how to drive!

The upside is that Porsche has several desirable pieces in its suspension and brake parts’ bins that can be easily retrofitted. The aftermarket is teeming, as well. A little horse trading and you’ll soon be even quicker.

Thanks for sharing.
I'm already scouting around for 968 sway bars. The shocks are also 19 years old, so they can use a refresh.

The combination of less weight, fat R-compound tires, and balance showed up in a few key areas.

1. MUCH easier braking. I could start braking later, and actually never found the lock-up threshold. The lack of ABS never hurt me. (And these are SINGLE caliper brakes. Never faded, never seemed overwhelmed.)

2. Amazing turn-in. On a typical slower turn (e.g. Turn 4 at VIR taken about about 45 MPH in 3rd gear), I could be track right with the apex cone in my driver's side window, and in an instant, nail the apex without even provoking any protest from the tires.

3. STAY IN THE THROTTLE!!! This was a big learning experience. In the AMG (and my old Audi), if you were late in a turn and risking an "off" on the exit, you could lift throttle without any concern. The front would tuck in, and you'd scrub speed and make the exit. I learned IMMEDIATELY, that in a balanced car, lifting throttle in a turn creates a much more dramatic change in attitude, and a spin is always possible. So, in the same situation (too deep and fast in a turn) the adjustment is just a tiny lift, but an immediate return to the throttle to keep the tail in place. After a while, you use this "instability" to perfect each turn. I fell in love with VIR turn 16-17-17A combination (called "Hog Pen") once I learned that it could be run basically flat out.

Last edited by Fifth Ring; 11-21-2007 at 09:49 AM.