S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

prepaid maintainence Service A & B

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2024, 12:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 S550
prepaid maintainence Service A & B

So I just purchased a 3 year prepaid Oil Change service from my dealership for a total of $1,516. It includes 2 B-Services, and 1 A-service. The regular price charged by this dealership is: $713 for Service B, and $265 for Service A ($1,691 total). So I saved a total of $175 (roughly 10% off) by buying a package "prepaid maintainence" . It locks in the rate for 3 years (instead of having inflation increase the cost from year to year, plus I save $165). If I were to get rid of my car, they deduct the regular price for services already done, and refund me the balance.

Based on my calculations - my local indy shop charges $180 for oil change, $75 to change cabin filter, 150 to change brake fluid, $25 for a hand car wash, and does not top off fluids (I estimate this would be about $40 if i bought coolant, wiper fluids, etc myself). So total cost for semi-equilivant Service B = $180+$75+$150+$25+$40 = $470 vs $642 ($713 Service B @ 10% off discount for package deal). A savings of only $172 on Service B, which doesn't seem like much extra to have it done at a trusted dealership, and also getting a loaner car for the day.

For service A the difference would be $180 vs. $238 ($265 x 10% off) = difference of only $58

So do you guys think it is worth it to get this Prepaid Service B,A,B package vs. going to an Indy shop?

Old 05-19-2024, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 601 Likes on 453 Posts
W212 FL
I mostly prefer dealership, and purpose of such discounts is to attract customers to the dealerships as well . Some say it stealerships as they charge more extra to what you would have done it at a lower price in other shops
Old 05-19-2024, 09:10 AM

Received 108 Likes on 59 Posts
Mercedes S560
Not havng ever owned or run a dealership, I cannot speak with authority, but I'd have to guess the dealers have a good bit of overhead to cover that an independent shop would not have, or would have to a lesser extent.

The loaner itself is a huge plus.

I could maybe find an independent where my dealer is - Cincinnati - actually, there are 3 MB dealerships in the area, but why bother?

Old 05-19-2024, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 953 Likes on 729 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by BenzV12
I mostly prefer dealership, and purpose of such discounts is to attract customers to the dealerships as well . Some say it stealerships as they charge more extra to what you would have done it at a lower price in other shops
Indeed -- like any storefront business, the objective is getting a customer through the front door (aka, service bay entrance). How many times are A/B services performed without being sold a new set of wipers, an engine air filter(s), brakes or tires? It all adds up. Express oil change franchises have used this "load up on the extras" business model for decades.

If saving 10% by pre-paying for service is a big deal, try the DIY alternative where you can save 70%.
Old 05-19-2024, 10:08 AM

Mercedes S560
Originally Posted by streborx
Indeed -- like any storefront business, the objective is getting a customer through the front door (aka, service bay entrance). How many times are A/B services performed without being sold a new set of wipers, an engine air filter(s), brakes or tires? It all adds up. Express oil change franchises have used this "load up on the extras" business model for decades.

If saving 10% by pre-paying for service is a big deal, try the DIY alternative where you can save 70%.
It depends or what you like doing, what your time's worth, etc. Can you substantiate your 70%, or is that a ballpark guesstimate?
I am totally non- mechanical, other than at the gas pump, and way too old to handle anything else.
Old 05-19-2024, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,556 Likes on 1,653 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
I would do it if you like using the dealer. The dealer is convenient, nice, loaners are easy. My issue with the dealer is they are very slow...what takes my independent mechanic 3 hours takes them 3 days. It goes in and sits there for a whole day or two before they ever even take it back. I found a good independent mechanic who has loaners, they are all MB owners and huge fans of the brand and I find I get better service there for less. Its annoying having to take it back to the dealer though if they find something that needs to be repaired under warranty. For instance I just had my 50k service and spark plugs done and they found a valve cover gasket leak, and I had to take it over to the dealer where as had it been there already they would have just fixed it while it was in there.

Your dealer's service prices are better than mine, A Service at my dealer is $500, B service is $1,000. My independent charges $600 or so for the B service and $250 or so for the A service. They are MUCH cheaper for other things too, I had pads and rotors all around done there for what just pads would have cost at MB, they did my spark plugs for $550 when the dealer wanted $1,500. So the savings is very real and they are just as convenient since they have loaners. I have to drive a VW Passat for a day vs an MB loaner, but I can do that for that savings.

Originally Posted by Lou B
Can you substantiate your 70%, or is that a ballpark guesstimate?

With DIY there is no labor charge because you're doing the labor, so that makes total sense. For instance my spark plugs, the plugs were $168, the labor was $378, so the labor was 70% of the job.

Like you I just have no time, energy or desire to screw around trying to do this stuff myself.

Last edited by SW20S; 05-19-2024 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-19-2024, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
It depends or what you like doing, what your time's worth, etc. Can you substantiate your 70%, or is that a ballpark guesstimate?
I am totally non- mechanical, other than at the gas pump, and way too old to handle anything else.
My A-Service is the following:
Oil & Filter Change - $70
Cabin Filter (intake) - $20
Wipers (front & rear) - $55
Inspection & Fluid Check - $0
Tire Rotate/Balance - $0 (free at tire dealer every 5K)
Total: $145

B-Service:
All A-Service items - $145
Brake Fluid - $30
Engine Air Filters - $50
Total: $225

I don't fault anyone for not being a DIY'er. Many folks' time is more valuable than mine or the the dealer's prices. Others make a living with their hands and fingers, and a scraped knuckle or finger cut just isn't worth the risk. But there are plenty of instruction YouTube videos on every maintenance topic, many tutorials on this forum, and many shade-tree mechanics in your local car club. Some of the tools require an investment, but with the 4 vehicles I own, the payback is immediate.

My 70% is a ballpark guess based on what I've read posted here and elsewhere. That "free" espresso and the comfy customer lounge have to be paid for somehow!
Old 05-19-2024, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by SW20S
I would do it if you like using the dealer. The dealer is convenient, nice, loaners are easy. My issue with the dealer is they are very slow...what takes my independent mechanic 3 hours takes them 3 days. It goes in and sits there for a whole day or two before they ever even take it back.
Like you, I find this extremely annoying. You make a service appointment, show up on time, and learn that the 3 hour procedure will take 3 days. Why? Because the service manager wants nobody idle. So he queues up a dozen cars for each mechanic in the backlot, and tells the customer "we'll call you". This is the reception I received when I went to a dealership to get a 1 hour recall item serviced. I walked out. But apparently some dealers are hurting a bit with the current inflation and people finding other priorities for their money. I've been called 3 times by a dealer I've never visited offering to do this recall for me.
Old 05-19-2024, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Drives me nuts. No other car brand I have ever owned does that, when I make an appointment a week out I expect the car to be looked at it that day. If I just came by unannounced and they fit me in that would be one thing, but they act like they are ALWAYS fitting me in when I have an appointment booked way in advance.

Last December I had it in for something minor, booked an appointment 2 weeks out and they had it 5 full days and never started it. I actually went and picked it up and told them to just forget it.

Lexus, Toyota, CHRYSLER…all look at the car the day of my appointment.
Old 05-19-2024, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Drives me nuts. No other car brand I have ever owned does that, when I make an appointment a week out I expect the car to be looked at it that day. If I just came by unannounced and they fit me in that would be one thing, but they act like they are ALWAYS fitting me in when I have an appointment booked way in advance.

Last December I had it in for something minor, booked an appointment 2 weeks out and they had it 5 full days and never started it. I actually went and picked it up and told them to just forget it.

Lexus, Toyota, CHRYSLER…all look at the car the day of my appointment.
This is apparently what MB service department training has evolved to -- forget anything technical related to fixing the problems. Just make sure you're maximizing profit with the fewest number of techs and long turn-around times.
The following users liked this post:
SW20S (05-19-2024)
Old 05-19-2024, 11:31 PM
VII

Received 94 Likes on 73 Posts
2016 S65, 2014 SLK55 (Previous 2013 SLK350, 2008 CLS63, 2006 E350, 2006 CLS500, 2005 C230K)
10 percent discount for giving them money years early?
Financially not a great deal.
Value of a dealership is in the quality of the techs but that seems to have gone downhill over the years for most, a good indie is better bet.
Old 05-20-2024, 08:40 AM

Mercedes S560
Originally Posted by VII
Value of a dealership is in the quality of the techs but that seems to have gone downhill over the years for most, a good indie is better bet.
Each of you suffering from poor dealer service certainly deserves our sympathy...but as I believe all of us have surely seen this in other businesses...it's a human failing. As a friend of mine reminded me, "If humans are involved, there will be problems."
So far as dealers' failures are concerned, this happened to me, oh, a dozen years ago? Took my Audi in for something, and a week later it hadn't been looked at.
So - what fo we do? Look for alternatives, just as we always have from the days of a blacksmith who couldn't trim a hoof for a new horseshoe, or a vet who didn't know to treat your milk cow properly. Or the AT&T store who couldn't halp you resolve an iPhone problem. Human nature.

Old 05-20-2024, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by VII
But its all refundable if unused, its a small amount of money that one doesn't worry about ROI on and its nice knowing you can just roll in for service and have it all taken care of.

Each of you suffering from poor dealer service certainly deserves our sympathy...but as I believe all of us have surely seen this in other businesses...it's a human failing. As a friend of mine reminded me, "If humans are involved, there will be problems."
So far as dealers' failures are concerned, this happened to me, oh, a dozen years ago? Took my Audi in for something, and a week later it hadn't been looked at.
So - what fo we do? Look for alternatives, just as we always have from the days of a blacksmith who couldn't trim a hoof for a new horseshoe, or a vet who didn't know to treat your milk cow properly. Or the AT&T store who couldn't halp you resolve an iPhone problem. Human nature.
Issue is this didn't just happen once, it happens every time, I've tried other dealers too and they are the same. There are only 2 dealers out of 3 around me that offer loaners, so I'm kind of stuck between them. As a luxury brand Mercedes needs to do better, all their competitors can make an appointment and serve the car when it comes in.
Old 05-20-2024, 01:55 PM

Mercedes S560
But its all refundable if unused, its a small amount of money that one doesn't worry about ROI on and its nice knowing you can just roll in for service and have it all taken care of.

Issue is this didn't just happen once, it happens every time, I've tried other dealers too and they are the same. There are only 2 dealers out of 3 around me that offer loaners, so I'm kind of stuck between them. As a luxury brand Mercedes needs to do better, all their competitors can make an appointment and serve the car when it comes in.
Then, you are truly SOL.
Old 05-20-2024, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Thats why I found a good independent mechanic.

I bought the MB extended warranty and I actually considered getting an aftermarket warranty so I could let the independent do covered repairs too.