C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Key Remote - Doesn't work with "Radio" Freq. only IR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63 AMG Steel Gray
Unhappy Key Remote - Doesn't work with "Radio" Freq. only IR

So, the other day I noticed my car was very hard to lock/unlock with the remote. The key was brand new (6 months old), but I still suspected it was the issue.

It's not. The old keys do the exact same thing.

The car does not react to any key presses (lock, unlock, trunk) unless they key is very close and pointing towards the front door IR receptor.

Has anyone else seen this problem? It looks like the car radio receiver for the remote control has gone out.

Sucks, cause I'm at 50,500 miles now.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

-Jeff
Old 12-14-2007, 04:00 PM

C32 AMG
Replace battery in your key.
I had that problem b4. Changing battery fixed it.

Reagrds
Jack
Old 12-14-2007, 10:21 PM

2009 C63 AMG Steel Gray
But I've tried all three of my keys, and yesterday they worked fine, and today not so much.... you really suspect it's a battery issue?

Even sitting inside my car the key will not work, unless I aim it at the IR receiver on the door. That can't be a battery, when it had 100Yd reception just yesterday... No?

-Jeff
Old 12-15-2007, 05:54 PM

C32
Coming form an M3, I was really surpised that the RF remote wouldn't shut the windows .... soooo much better now that it does.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:53 PM

MB C32 AMG
There's another (hidden) receiver where your rear windshiled and the roof meet. Stand behind your car and see if it works any better
Old 12-15-2007, 08:31 PM

2009 C63 AMG Steel Gray
Still no go from the back of the car. Only IR is working.

I did have the car tinted recently, and after 101 searches I think that may be related. The tint used was non-metallic, and radio reception is not affected at all.

Could the tint install shop somehow disconnected/cut the RF receiver wire? I tried with the key inside the car, and even right against the roof near the rear of the car, absolutely nothing.

At this point I would be hesitant to take it to the dealer, since if the tint install is causing the issue, the extended warranty won't do anything. Even if it was MB issue, I'm not sure the ext. warranty would cover it regardless.

I think I'm just going to be stuck with IR only going forward....

-Jeff
Old 12-16-2007, 07:31 PM

2002 C32 AMG
My car just had the rear antenna amp replaced. There is an amp under the headliner attached to the top of the rear window glass. The amp and antenna are for the radio and the RF portion of the remote. I had the exact problem you are describing. In some instances the connections between the glass go bad. Other times the amp does. In my case the radio still seemed to work OK but the RF part of the remote was dead. I think the part is about $250. You have to remove the headliner to install so the repair at the dealer is alot of money. Mine was done under extended warranty and cost about $800 total. If the RF portion of the remote died at the same time as the tint I would suspect the tint guy could have cut through the antenna trace on the glass while trimming it.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C63S,2013 C63 AMG Coupe, 2002 C32 AMG (gone but not forgotten)
Originally Posted by chuckactor
....I would suspect the tint guy could have cut through the antenna trace on the glass while trimming it.
Also possible that he got the part wet when installing the tint.

Don't be surprised if the dealer makes that claim. I had a power window motor die and the stealer refused to replace it citing moisture from the install and added friction from the film. The kicker is that I had the tint installed at the dealer.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:05 PM

2009 C63 AMG Steel Gray
chuckactor - Thanks for the advice.

Just to follow your logic, even if the antennea trace was cut during the tint installation, I would still expect the key to work when pressed up against the rear headliner.

I held it everywhere, and have gotten no response. Even with no antennea, I should get something when held up against the receiver.

I too have an MB extended warranty, just not sure it will cover it. I could always bring it to the dealer to check it out. Who knows.

-Jeff
Old 12-17-2007, 10:14 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Mine wouldn't work no matter how close I got it. Best bet is to bring it to the dealer. If its like mine you'll be on the hook for a 1 or 2 hour diagnosis fee unless its covered. Since you have the extended warranty, ask for a loaner. Everytime mine goes in for repair, they have it for a week.

Chuck
Old 06-17-2018, 03:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E500 rwd, 2004 E320 4matic
Same issue

Just replaced pse pump and I can lock/unlock and pop trunk from ir sensor on door but i cant lock/unlock pop trunk from a distance and need to figure out how to fix that. I have star but still no answer to figure this out