Dealer Scratches Rims

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Originally Posted by bud4ya
They did wash the car, which I asked them not to do. I am wondering if that may of caused the damage.

The car wash, if it is a drive through type with the guide rails, is what caused the damage.
Does their car wash fit that description???????
Old 12-28-2007, 04:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C32 AMG, 2003 E39 M5
I will ask them

Originally Posted by trumpet1
The car wash, if it is a drive through type with the guide rails, is what caused the damage.
Does their car wash fit that description???????
Old 12-28-2007, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
..... If I do not hear from him I will make a call to the owner.
Do not get the owner involved. Just threaten to get the owner involved. The whole idea is to inform the service manager that you are not happy with the service so far, and that if things get any worse, you would be happy to talk to the owner.

Please NOTE: do NOT involve the owner unless things get really bad.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Well he called be back and said all they will need the car for is the day. If I drop it off in the AM they will have it done by 5:00 or before. I have never had rims refinshed so does this sound right. It does not to me.

I need to call him back soon if I want it done Mon.

Help
Whatever he is going to do, make it very clear to him that if it does NOT look like it came out of the AMG factory, they'll either fix them or replace them. This must be in writing. There must be a letter or a work order from him stating that they will fix the rims to your satisfaction, and if it is not, then they will replace all 4 rims.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:58 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
'02 C32, '10 135i M-Sport, '10 E63, '17 GLE63S
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Whatever he is going to do, make it very clear to him that if it does NOT look like it came out of the AMG factory, they'll either fix them or replace them. This must be in writing. There must be a letter or a work order from him stating that they will fix the rims to your satisfaction, and if it is not, then they will replace all 4 rims.
+1

MB dealerships = Rolls Royce dealerships = Kia dealerships. They'll screw you at any and every turn if they get the chance, but getting something in writing denies them that opportunity
Old 12-28-2007, 06:32 PM

I told him I could not do Mon. I wanted to wait to see what you guys had to say about having rims refinished within a day. I told him we would chat next week. I am going to say just like you mentioned go ahead and do whatever you need to do. If they do not meet my expectation and or start to peel or flake within a year or so I want new rims or them done over. I will make sure he puts this in writing. If he does not or cannot I will speak with the Service manager. At this point it has just been between the SA and myself.

I asked if he has a drive through car wash and he said no. I asked if he checked out the wheel machine and he said yes and it is fine. Yours are the only ones we have had a complaint about . I was like ya right to myself. I can tell you these rims were in like new condition when I brought them there. When I left they were all scratched up. I am the type of person to know every flaw in my car. I check it daily so I know what they looked like before it went in.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
I told him I could not do Mon. I wanted to wait to see what you guys had to say about having rims refinished within a day. I told him we would chat next week. I am going to say just like you mentioned go ahead and do whatever you need to do. If they do not meet my expectation and or start to peel or flake within a year or so I want new rims or them done over. I will make sure he puts this in writing. If he does not or cannot I will speak with the Service manager. At this point it has just been between the SA and myself.

I asked if he has a drive through car wash and he said no. I asked if he checked out the wheel machine and he said yes and it is fine. Yours are the only ones we have had a complaint about . I was like ya right to myself. I can tell you these rims were in like new condition when I brought them there. When I left they were all scratched up. I am the type of person to know every flaw in my car. I check it daily so I know what they looked like before it went in.
You're 100% right about the they tell you that "you're the first and only customer that this happens to......" This is a classic line they use when they get in trouble.

Like I said, as long as things are in writing, it doesn't matter what they do to the wheels. Because then you can take it back for them to fix or have them replace it. And if this goes to court, it is an easy win for you because that letter stating that they will fix it is actually an admission of fault on their behalf.

Again, I'm sorry that you had to go through that horrible experience. I know how it feels to have your car mis-handeled by the dealer especially after you warn them to be careful. It kills even more if you really care for every detail on the car.......
Old 12-28-2007, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
He said they are going to refinsh right there. Someone know if this is even possible?
Since you are telling Service guy you need time before taking it in check out resurfacing places and ask if a job like that can be done in hours not just days...explain you scratches to him and ask what would be involved that way you know what to expect.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:47 PM

I will call Rim Pro in MA and ask

Originally Posted by c32used
Since you are telling Service guy you need time before taking it in check out resurfacing places and ask if a job like that can be done in hours not just days...explain you scratches to him and ask what would be involved that way you know what to expect.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:49 PM

Just planning ahead what if he says we will not put anything in writing? He may just say we will fix your wheels like I said we would.

Just trying to be prepared before I call back

Thanks

You're 100% right about the they tell you that "you're the first and only customer that this happens to......" This is a classic line they use when they get in trouble.

Like I said, as long as things are in writing, it doesn't matter what they do to the wheels. Because then you can take it back for them to fix or have them replace it. And if this goes to court, it is an easy win for you because that letter stating that they will fix it is actually an admission of fault on their behalf.

Again, I'm sorry that you had to go through that horrible experience. I know how it feels to have your car mis-handeled by the dealer especially after you warn them to be careful. It kills even more if you really care for every detail on the car.......
Old 12-29-2007, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32, 2011 VW GTI
So I get in the car when they are done and drive around the corner to the store. As I get out for the car I look at the back rim and see what looks like to be a black scratch . I get closer and sure enough almost all the way around the rim right up on the outer lip there is a black score mark in the clear coat that encompasses the entire rim. I then check each one and they all have this mark . There is only one where there were just a couple marks. I took a rag and a little water and when I rubbed off the black you can see where the clear coat is scored. It's almost like someone took a sharp tool and went all the way around the rim.
Yup, it happens with these low profile tires and soft aluminum rims. Modern tire machines are a lot more gentle than machines in the past so you really want to find a shop which has the most up to date equipment. In '01 or so, the same thing happened to my '97 M3 when I had new tires put on it -- at a small independent tire shop. I got a nice circular gouge in all of my rims.

I definitely learned my lesson and have since found a tire store that has a good machine, and scratches haven't been repeated in several years of having snow tires/summer tire changes twice a year on two cars. It's kind of surprising that it would happen at a dealer but my guess is they're less experienced at replacing tires than a modern tire store that does 100 or so tire changes per day. The ideal route is to have a set of rims for summer and for winter. That way the swaps are kept to a minimum.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:34 PM

A one day turn around on wheel repair does not sound right to me. I am in the process of having the dealer repair 4 rims on my wifes CLK 500. They were originally done in a one day fashion using spray paint versus powder coating.

I am having all 4 wheels refinished by Keystone. As I understand it, Keystone will strip the wheel of the original paint and clear and re-powder coat with color and again with a clear coat using manufacturer formulas for color. This will be much more durable and look better than the spray paint repair done by the dealers "expert".

A freind of mine at a large collison repair chain told me that going this route (powder coating) will result in a high quality repair that will survive the harsh existence rims go through (salt, heat, brake dust).

You can find Keystone on the web. I would be interested on what others have experienced with this process.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:40 PM

Let me now add to this jerk off that did my car. I looked at the rear bumper today and you can see where he pulled the tires out of the trunk and ran them accross the bumper. I was able to tell it was from the tires because I could rub the rubber off the chrome piece on my bumper. Man am I really pissed now. Rather than picking the tires up out of the trunk he must of just grabbed them and let them drag accross the top of the bumper.

What an A Hole. Now what am I susposed to say to them they scratch the heck out of my bumper. At that time the service guy is just going to say I am looking for something for nothing. I do not want my bumper re painted but I almost have the nerve to say who ever did my car plan sucks.

Done venting
Old 12-29-2007, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Just planning ahead what if he says we will not put anything in writing? He may just say we will fix your wheels like I said we would.

Just trying to be prepared before I call back

Thanks
Demand and insist that everything is in writing. Tell them if it is not in writing then you can not go forward with the repairs, and that they would receive a very large "bill" for replacing all 4 rims at retail price along with a letter from your lawyer + a call from MBUSA Corporate office. Also, make sure you talk to the owner at this point and that he understands what course of action you will pursue. When you do talk to the owner, it'd be beneficial to take a witness or two with you as well.

Be very tough with them if they play games. You have to make sure that they understand you will give them a ton more problems and headaches for the next couple of years at least if they want to take that route.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:21 PM

c32 AMG
I agree.......demand four new stock rims and make their life hellish for the next few years..
Old 12-29-2007, 06:25 PM

I have made sure not to drive the car or clean up the rims so they can see first hand the grease and rubber still in the scratches.

I saw today the moron just literally pulled the tires out of my trunk and ran them right accross the top of my rear bumper. Put a couple good scrapes in the clear coat. I am not happy. I could still see the rubber on the chrome piece.

I should of left ot parked for the winter like I have always done with my cars. The wheels and rear bumper would'nt be screwed up if I did.

Oh well

TY

Demand and insist that everything is in writing. Tell them if it is not in writing then you can not go forward with the repairs, and that they would receive a very large "bill" for replacing all 4 rims at retail price along with a letter from your lawyer + a call from MBUSA Corporate office. Also, make sure you talk to the owner at this point and that he understands what course of action you will pursue. When you do talk to the owner, it'd be beneficial to take a witness or two with you as well.

Be very tough with them if they play games. You have to make sure that they understand you will give them a ton more problems and headaches for the next couple of years at least if they want to take that route.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
I have made sure not to drive the car or clean up the rims so they can see first hand the grease and rubber still in the scratches.

I saw today the moron just literally pulled the tires out of my trunk and ran them right accross the top of my rear bumper. Put a couple good scrapes in the clear coat. I am not happy. I could still see the rubber on the chrome piece.

I should of left ot parked for the winter like I have always done with my cars. The wheels and rear bumper would'nt be screwed up if I did.

Oh well

TY
Its not your fault that the place you trusted has careless morons working there.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:25 PM

2017 GLE 350 W4, 2016 C 300, 2012 E 350 W4 Lux, 2006 ML 350
Originally Posted by evilsaint
+1

MB dealerships = Rolls Royce dealerships = Kia dealerships. They'll screw you at any and every turn if they get the chance, but getting something in writing denies them that opportunity
I've been following your post and just want you to know, I feel your pain.

I firmly agree with evil on this one. It doesn't matter what kind of car you own, dealers will screw you all the same.

I thought when I stepped up to being a MB owner things would be different but was very unpleasently surprised and discouraged to find out they're only out for #1 and will screw you any chance they get.

My guy put a USED steering wheel in my new ML to replace the original and thought I would'nt notice.

When I bought it to the SA's attention he denied it at first, then when I pressed he gave me some story.

First I was shocked, then I was pissed. They wound up getting me a new wheel but it was a major inconvinience not to mention he took me for a fool which bothered me the most.

Your guy sounds OK so far but don't assume he'll do the right thing just because he should or because it's Mercedes Dealership.

Good luck, We're all rooting for you.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport

Oh well

TY
You should probably take lots of high resolution pictures of all the scratches and date them just in case you need to use them later.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:25 AM

I think what it comes down to is shear laziness and ambition on the techs part. I would never dream of messing up someone’s car no matter what they drive.

I will call the SA Mon and demand in writing if the wheels do not meet my needs or peel within the next 2 years I want new ones. If he cannot do this I will take it to the Service Manager.

I will let you know what he says.

You should probably take lots of high resolution pictures of all the scratches and date them just in case you need to use them later.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:31 PM

Help with e-mail to SA

Can you guys take a look at this and add or take away what I should send as an e-mail to the service advisor. I would rather start having this in writing than a phone conversation.

Thanks I am open to any and all input with this e-mail I will send.

To Whom It May Concern (SA),
Before I bring the car down I would like a couple things in writing. I would like it stated that if the refinishing job does not meet my expectation (Factory Color Etc) I will want all four rims replaced.

Second if the rims do look ok I want some sort of warranty with this work. Like if they start peeling within the next two years I will want the rims replaced or done over.

I am very skeptical that someone can come in and do over a set of AMG rims in about 5 hours. When these come from the factory I am sure they a heat-treated and coated over and over again to with stand harsh conditions.

Bottom line is I brought in a set of rims that were in like new cond and left with ones that were not in that same cond. I would like to have my rims back to the new Factory cond they were. If you look at the rims there are no other deficits besides the score line that goes around the lip or each rim. I have not driven the car or cleaned up the rims in case someone else needs to take a look at these.

I stressed the importance when I came in about the process used to change out the tires. I was assured that there would be no issues at all.

I do want to say I know this is not your fault and you are just the messenger here. I do appreciate how you have handled this so far. You have been very concerned and professional.

OR

Or should I just call the Service Manager and asked him WTH is going on and tell him I want new rims? I cannot believe no one from the dealership has called and at least said I am sorry to hear what happened.

The more I think about this the more pissed off I get. Especially when I saw they dragged the tires out of the trunk right over the bumper.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:16 PM

2017 GLE 350 W4, 2016 C 300, 2012 E 350 W4 Lux, 2006 ML 350
Go get 'em

My experience has been that the dealership, especially the SM is very slow in getting back to you. It took them 6 weeks and multiple calls from me to resolve my wheel issue. I think it is because of the volume of work they are doing which is no excuse.

The best way to get a quick response is to go to the dealership and talk with these guys.

Ask the SA if he has spoken with the Service Manager. This is the guy who can really do something for you. I don't think the SA is high enough on the food chain to make a difference and is probably more concerned about covering his own *** more than your car.

I would go in to feel him out and find our where exactly in the process your complaint lies.

I would make him understand you don't want to bring this too the next level but would not hesitate to do so if you feel he is not moving in the right direction or lacks the authority to get something done.

Being there is key, because while they he has your problem in the back of his mind he also has all the new ones that came after yours on his desk and in his face. Who knows where yours is in his priority order, so it may be time to bring it back uo to the top of the pile.

I don't know how it is where you are but in NY there’s allot going on at these MB dealers. They are very busy putting out fires.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Can you guys take a look at this and add or take away what I should send as an e-mail to the service advisor. I would rather start having this in writing than a phone conversation.

Thanks I am open to any and all input with this e-mail I will send.

To Whom It May Concern (SA),
Before I bring the car down I would like a couple things in writing. I would like it stated that if the refinishing job does not meet my expectation (Factory Color Etc) I will want all four rims replaced.

Second if the rims do look ok I want some sort of warranty with this work. Like if they start peeling within the next two years I will want the rims replaced or done over.

I am very skeptical that someone can come in and do over a set of AMG rims in about 5 hours. When these come from the factory I am sure they a heat-treated and coated over and over again to with stand harsh conditions.

Bottom line is I brought in a set of rims that were in like new cond and left with ones that were not in that same cond. I would like to have my rims back to the new Factory cond they were. If you look at the rims there are no other deficits besides the score line that goes around the lip or each rim. I have not driven the car or cleaned up the rims in case someone else needs to take a look at these.

I stressed the importance when I came in about the process used to change out the tires. I was assured that there would be no issues at all.

I do want to say I know this is not your fault and you are just the messenger here. I do appreciate how you have handled this so far. You have been very concerned and professional.

OR

Or should I just call the Service Manager and asked him WTH is going on and tell him I want new rims? I cannot believe no one from the dealership has called and at least said I am sorry to hear what happened.

The more I think about this the more pissed off I get. Especially when I saw they dragged the tires out of the trunk right over the bumper.
I would do both. I would send the e-mail and if you don't hear something back from on Wednesday or Thursday, take a couple of friends and go talk to the Service Manager.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:24 PM

E-mail I sent

I hope you had a great X-mas and Happy New Year. I now have had some time to look into the rim re finishing.

I am very skeptical that someone can come in and do over a set of AMG rims in about 5 hours. When these come from the factory they a heat-treated and coated over and over again to with stand harsh conditions. So I did some research on re finishing rims. From the places I spoke to Rim Pro etc they said there is no way that someone can come in a PROPERLY fix 4 rims within 5 hours or so. This is what these guys do for a business and have for many years so they know what they are talking about. They said two things will happen. Either the color is not going to match the factory color or worse they will flake peel and chip within a year’s time. Someone coming in and sanding them down and paining them with a spray can is not the correct way to do the job. When rims are re finished they are totally stripped and done over.

So with that said I would be willing to bring the rims to a professional rim repair shop that both parties can agree upon and have them done over. I would need to bring the car to you and have you remove them from the car. The car would need to stay there while this repair is taking place. When they are done your dealership can pay the repair shop. Before the work is started we will get an estimate so we are all on the same page. If we take this route I will need a loaner to use while the car is out of commission.

Or second option is to replace all 4 rims with new AMG rims. This is what I think should be done to accommodate me as the customer. I should not have to be without my car because of a mistake the dealer made.

I am really upset that I take such nice care of my things and think that the MB dealership would do the same. This is the reason I decided to pay more and bring it to your dealership to avoid damage. Bottom line is I brought in a set of rims that were in like new condition and left with ones that were not in that same condition. It is a shame that I have to worry about damage to my car when it comes in for service. I would expect this from a hole in the wall place not a MB dealer. I would like to have my rims back to the new Factory condition they were. If you look at the rims there are no other deficits besides the score line that goes around the lip or each rim.

I do want to stress I know this is not your fault personally. I do appreciate how you have handled this so far. You have been very concerned and professional about this whole deal. What I need to do I guess is call the owner and explain the deal if we cannot come to a resolution that makes me happy. Like I said above I will share how great you have been to work with but this is probally a management call. If you could let me know who to call that would be great otherwise I can call in and ask the operator. I am just a little shocked that I did not receive a call from someone in management apologizing up and down for probally $3,500-$4,000 in damages.

Thanks and I look forward to your quick response.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:28 PM

Dealer Reply

So I got a call right back. He said he did not tell the manager who was not very happy about that. He said he is the assistant manager and thought he would just handle it.

So anyway he said I can bring the car there and leave it. They will remove the wheels and send them out to Rim Pro for me. He said I can have a loaner while the car is out of service.

My only concern is the rims are never going to be the same. But I have heard Rim Pro is pretty darn good.

Anything else I am missing or should mention. I would rather have new rims but I do not think they will go for that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dealer Scratches Rims