C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Dealer Scratches Rims

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 06:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C32 AMG, 2003 E39 M5
Angry Dealer Scratches Rims

So after long thought I just decided to put my snows on the stock rims. If I decided to get C55 rims over the winter I was just going to keep my snows on the stock rims. The car will probably never be driven in the winter but it is a nice back up if I needed it with snows.

So I decided since I am so particular I will have the snows installed at the MB dealer. I brought the tires in and ask the advisor are these rims going to get any scratches on them by putting on the snows. He said they deal with high end cars everyday and there is nothing to worry about.

So I get in the car when they are done and drive around the corner to the store. As I get out for the car I look at the back rim and see what looks like to be a black scratch . I get closer and sure enough almost all the way around the rim right up on the outer lip there is a black score mark in the clear coat that encompasses the entire rim. I then check each one and they all have this mark . There is only one where there were just a couple marks. I took a rag and a little water and when I rubbed off the black you can see where the clear coat is scored. It's almost like someone took a sharp tool and went all the way around the rim.

I called the advisor back and he said to bring it back and he will take a look. All he could say is I am not sure what happened here I am sorry I will call you tomorrow. I asked what he thought it could be and he said MAYBE the machine that takes the tires off the rim had a burr in it.

Anyone have this happen? This is why I brought it to the dealer rather than any tire place and look what happens.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
If it is a scratch, make them pay to fix all the rims and get them to give you free service or oil change or something. This kind of behavior is unacceptable. I usually like taking the car to the tire place so that I can go in and watch the technicians handle the rims. I warn them every five minutes: "careful with this, careful with that, please don't scartch this, etc...."

Please keep us updated......
Old 12-26-2007, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c32 AMG
Ya... kinda similar story happened to me. Instead of scratches i witnessed the mechanic let my tire tilt and fall on the face on the rim. I got scuff marks and immediatley brought it to the MB dealer's attention. They were pretty good and gave me many options. One option was to send the rim out to get it fixed by a company called the WHEEL WIZARD. But i ttolled them if it did not turn out right i would be expecting a brand new rim.

The damage was not bad at all but they did take it seriously and gave me many services for free such oil change, tire services etc..

I know this may be to the extreme but I would be wanting four new rims. If they had a bur in the machine, that still is their neglagence. Its their machine, they are operating it and they should have been more careful.

Go off the chain on their ***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-26-2007, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by Tectite.Metal
Ya... kinda similar story happened to me. Instead of scratches i witnessed the mechanic let my tire tilt and fall on the face on the rim. I got scuff marks and immediatley brought it to the MB dealer's attention. They were pretty good and gave me many options. One option was to send the rim out to get it fixed by a company called the WHEEL WIZARD. But i ttolled them if it did not turn out right i would be expecting a brand new rim.

The damage was not bad at all but they did take it seriously and gave me many services for free such oil change, tire services etc..

I know this may be to the extreme but I would be wanting four new rims. If they had a bur in the machine, that still is their neglagence. Its their machine, they are operating it and they should have been more careful.

Go off the chain on their ***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
+1

Don't let them get away with it
Old 12-26-2007, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had scratches in my wheels from the dealer washing the car. They had their EXPERT repaint both wheels but that was an absolute joke. The color was not even close and there was more dirt in the paint than you can imagine. They ended up replacing them with two new wheels.

Just today I was having the summer wheels swapped for winter wheels and tires and asked the service advisor to remove and replace the lugs by hand so the lug holes would not get scratched or scuffed. He was really indignant and said "PLEASE sir...this is a Mercedes Dealership...dont worry about it". It was all I could do to keep from laughing in his face. I generally leave with more scratchs and scuffs to the interrior and exterior of my car every time I leave the dealership after service. I hate having to go there for anything.

Ask for new wheels...they will never fix them to your satisfaction.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by bud4ya
So after long thought I just decided to put my snows on the stock rims. If I decided to get C55 rims over the winter I was just going to keep my snows on the stock rims. The car will probably never be driven in the winter but it is a nice back up if I needed it with snows.

So I decided since I am so particular I will have the snows installed at the MB dealer. I brought the tires in and ask the advisor are these rims going to get any scratches on them by putting on the snows. He said they deal with high end cars everyday and there is nothing to worry about.

So I get in the car when they are done and drive around the corner to the store. As I get out for the car I look at the back rim and see what looks like to be a black scratch . I get closer and sure enough almost all the way around the rim right up on the outer lip there is a black score mark in the clear coat that encompasses the entire rim. I then check each one and they all have this mark . There is only one where there were just a couple marks. I took a rag and a little water and when I rubbed off the black you can see where the clear coat is scored. It's almost like someone took a sharp tool and went all the way around the rim.

I called the advisor back and he said to bring it back and he will take a look. All he could say is I am not sure what happened here I am sorry I will call you tomorrow. I asked what he thought it could be and he said MAYBE the machine that takes the tires off the rim had a burr in it.

Anyone have this happen? This is why I brought it to the dealer rather than any tire place and look what happens.
Bud4ya don't ever discount a real tire shop I have used Discount tire locally and have no complaints..they even store mine and my soon to be ex-wives summer rims. The Stealership does some of everything but by no means are they the best or cheapest at it...You need to find respected shops by you and make sure they have warranties against this type of abuse. The Stealership should replace your damaged rims if not with new then in same condition as yours. Find shops for every aspect of car repairs....more cost does not mean any better quality. But if its for warranty repairs then stick with the Stealership. Feel bad for ya!
Old 12-27-2007, 09:49 AM

Still waiting to hear back. They did wash the car, which I asked them not to do. I am wondering if that may of caused the damage. I will have to as if they drive it into wheel chucks or not. Something scored the rims all the way around. There was only one rim that only had it about half way around.

Let me tell you I was pissed. I will have to do some research and find a new tire shop. I will ask them if they will replace the rims with new one's. I have a feeling they will tell me to pound sand though. The advisor said I will check into getting these repaired but no promises till I speak with someone.

I am hoping to hear back today and will let you all know. If they say they will refinish them only I will tell them if they do not meet my criteria I want news ones.

Trending Topics

Old 12-27-2007, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Still waiting to hear back. They did wash the car, which I asked them not to do. I am wondering if that may of caused the damage. I will have to as if they drive it into wheel chucks or not. Something scored the rims all the way around. There was only one rim that only had it about half way around.

Let me tell you I was pissed. I will have to do some research and find a new tire shop. I will ask them if they will replace the rims with new one's. I have a feeling they will tell me to pound sand though. The advisor said I will check into getting these repaired but no promises till I speak with someone.

I am hoping to hear back today and will let you all know. If they say they will refinish them only I will tell them if they do not meet my criteria I want news ones.
If they use a good shop they will look new.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:11 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
'02 C32, '10 135i M-Sport, '10 E63, '17 GLE63S
Originally Posted by c32used
If they use a good shop they will look new.
Will they *drive* new? Would definitely suck hard if he got on the highway and the "good as new" refinished rims had a nasty shimmy or something...

I know it's only clear-coat in his case, but how exactly do these type of shops "fix" scuffed/dinged/scratched rims?
Old 12-27-2007, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by evilsaint
Will they *drive* new? Would definitely suck hard if he got on the highway and the "good as new" refinished rims had a nasty shimmy or something...

I know it's only clear-coat in his case, but how exactly do these type of shops "fix" scuffed/dinged/scratched rims?

I use resurfaced rims on my Benz with no issue and on other cars I owned..I had 4 badly scuffed and DENTED rims on my old IS300 and it drove excellent. If the shop is good then I don't foresee any issues but in his case the resufacing doesn't involve dent repair so even better...
Old 12-27-2007, 11:44 AM

Still waiting for the call . It did not dent the rim in anyway it just scratched each one all the way around each lip. It was like a black mark around the lip of each rim. When I rubbed out the black that is when you could see the scratch. Seems like if they sanded and re painted they would be new again. Just like when they arrived there. But like it was mentioned it is all who does the work.

I should of listened to my buddy who said you need to have the advisor come outside and look at the rim's so there is no questions if anything happens. My fault for not doing this. I just thought MB dealer I should not have to there will be no problems.

Would I be a a hole to ask for a loaner while they are repaired if they even decide to repair them I should say? In the spring I will probally put my summer tires back on those rims if I do not get the C55. So I am wondering if I should wait till spring when I switch out the tires to have this done again if they say they will.

I use resurfaced rims on my Benz with no issue and on other cars I owned..I had 4 badly scuffed and DENTED rims on my old IS300 and it drove excellent. If the shop is good then I don't foresee any issues but in his case the resufacing doesn't involve dent repair so even better...
Old 12-27-2007, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Still waiting for the call . It did not dent the rim in anyway it just scratched each one all the way around each lip. It was like a black mark around the lip of each rim. When I rubbed out the black that is when you could see the scratch. Seems like if they sanded and re painted they would be new again. Just like when they arrived there. But like it was mentioned it is all who does the work.

I should of listened to my buddy who said you need to have the advisor come outside and look at the rim's so there is no questions if anything happens. My fault for not doing this. I just thought MB dealer I should not have to there will be no problems.

Would I be a a hole to ask for a loaner while they are repaired if they even decide to repair them I should say? In the spring I will probally put my summer tires back on those rims if I do not get the C55. So I am wondering if I should wait till spring when I switch out the tires to have this done again if they say they will.
If the Stealership agrees to repair them and they keep your car then I say they have to lend you a loaner....C55? You do know if you chose to mod the C55 it will cost you.....imo not a great move....try for a E55 they are getting closer in price range and you won't get as many complaints from your wife about car being cramp.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:07 PM

They happen to have a used E55 there now. I think it is still priced pretty high. It has been sitting in their showroom for a couple months now. Time to get the carbon cleaned out of it.

You should of heard the complaints coming home from X-mas with all the gifts in the car and two kids. I was about ready to see if those doors really do stayed locked while you are driving

If the Stealership agrees to repair them and they keep your car then I say they have to lend you a loaner....C55? You do know if you chose to mod the C55 it will cost you.....imo not a great move....try for a E55 they are getting closer in price range and you won't get as many complaints from your wife about car being cramp.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
They happen to have a used E55 there now. I think it is still priced pretty high. It has been sitting in their showroom for a couple months now. Time to get the carbon cleaned out of it.

You should of heard the complaints coming home from X-mas with all the gifts in the car and two kids. I was about ready to see if those doors really do stayed locked while you are driving
If they give you the used rims be sure they install the tires and balance them. That way you have the right to go to that shop and complain.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:28 PM

So I was promised a call back and never received on which really pisses me off now. I called the advisor who is very nice but was the one that said he would call today and let me know. He says I am still waiting to hear back from the guy that does our rims and he has not called me back. He says he needs to speak with him for whatever reason and will get back with me. This is sounding fishy to me now.

I am floored I did not get a call from the service manager this AM. I thought for sure someone would call and at least say I am sorry we will take care of this. All I can get is I have to speak with the guy that refinishes our wheels.

Now I am steaming and about ready to call the service manager and vent. Like I said this service advisor is a good guy just do not want to get him in trouble.

Any suggestions here? Should I call the service manager and express my dissatisfaction with the rims and not even a freakin call from anyone there.

I just do not know what the hell talking to the refinishing guy is going to accomplish. What is the refinishing guy going to say I cannot do the rims. Just not adding up right now. Maybe I am over reacting because I am pissed now.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
So I was promised a call back and never received on which really pisses me off now. I called the advisor who is very nice but was the one that said he would call today and let me know. He says I am still waiting to hear back from the guy that does our rims and he has not called me back. He says he needs to speak with him for whatever reason and will get back with me. This is sounding fishy to me now.

I am floored I did not get a call from the service manager this AM. I thought for sure someone would call and at least say I am sorry we will take care of this. All I can get is I have to speak with the guy that refinishes our wheels.

Now I am steaming and about ready to call the service manager and vent. Like I said this service advisor is a good guy just do not want to get him in trouble.

Any suggestions here? Should I call the service manager and express my dissatisfaction with the rims and not even a freakin call from anyone there.

I just do not know what the hell talking to the refinishing guy is going to accomplish. What is the refinishing guy going to say I cannot do the rims. Just not adding up right now. Maybe I am over reacting because I am pissed now.
Bud4ya first relax and welcome to MB also you might want to keep in mind the Service guy who attended you might of had a busy day...the call from the rim guy is important cause he needs to know how much MB has to pay and get it approved thru higher authority be calm give it another day and if by tomorrow nothing happens then vent by all means. I don't think its fishie I just think that your Service guy had alot on his plate today...even though its common curtosy to call even if he cannot help you at the moment not all are the same. As I see it you can drive right so another day won't kill ya.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:45 PM

That makes sense now on why he is waiting for the guy to call back about the refinshing. The advisor is rally nice guy. He said he would call either way tomorrow and let me know if they called back.

I will keep you up to date.

Thanks for the input.

Bud4ya first relax and welcome to MB also you might want to keep in mind the Service guy who attended you might of had a busy day...the call from the rim guy is important cause he needs to know how much MB has to pay and get it approved thru higher authority be calm give it another day and if by tomorrow nothing happens then vent by all means. I don't think its fishie I just think that your Service guy had alot on his plate today...even though its common curtosy to call even if he cannot help you at the moment not all are the same. As I see it you can drive right so another day won't kill ya.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport

If it comes to the point where you have to unleash on the service manager....... if he does not cooperate, uses tougher language, like "let me talk to the owner", "I want a MB regional rep down here", "I'll contact MBUSA corporate office", etc......

Talking to the owner is usually your most poweful tool. Because if too many complaints against his/her dealership are filed, he/she faces the possibility of losing it forever. If you do talk to the owner, explain to him that the manager never called you back when he should have even if it was just to tell you I need a bit more time to get an estimate. He should've called you and said, I'm waiting to hear from so and so..........

Good luck, and as usual, keep us updated........

Last edited by MB_Forever; 12-27-2007 at 11:11 PM.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
I agree with MB_FOREVER only on talking to the owner if the Service guy continues with not calling to let you know or continuing same behavior and if nothing with Owner try MBUSA.

Last edited by c32used; 12-28-2007 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Be a little bit more restrained though if the issue is elevated or taken to the owner. You can get aggressive with the service manager all you want, but not the owner because things can get really bad if the owner red-flags your car.

Make sure you document in writing what they offer you. For example, if they offer you to fix it, have them print you a letter that if the "fix" is not to your satisfaction, they will replace it, etc.....
Old 12-28-2007, 11:02 AM

Good idea to have it in writing. I am going to give the SA the opportunity to call me back today and let me know what he found out. If I do not hear from him I will make a call to the owner.

I will let you know as soon as I hear. The SA did apologize and said I should of called you even though I had not heard back from the wheel repair guy. He promised to call back today either way.

Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Be a little bit more restrained though if the issue is elevated or taken to the owner. You can get aggressive with the service manager all you want, but not the owner because things can get really bad if the owner red-flags your car.

Make sure you document in writing what they offer you. For example, if they offer you to fix it, have them print you a letter that if the "fix" is not to your satisfaction, they will replace it, etc.....
Old 12-28-2007, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Good idea to have it in writing. I am going to give the SA the opportunity to call me back today and let me know what he found out. If I do not hear from him I will make a call to the owner.

I will let you know as soon as I hear. The SA did apologize and said I should of called you even though I had not heard back from the wheel repair guy. He promised to call back today either way.
Hopefully today will yield better results.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:17 PM

Well he called be back and said all they will need the car for is the day. If I drop it off in the AM they will have it done by 5:00 or before. I have never had rims refinshed so does this sound right. It does not to me.

I need to call him back soon if I want it done Mon.

Help
Old 12-28-2007, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Well he called be back and said all they will need the car for is the day. If I drop it off in the AM they will have it done by 5:00 or before. I have never had rims refinshed so does this sound right. It does not to me.

I need to call him back soon if I want it done Mon.

Help
Resurface that fast! Sounds fishie but I am not in that business I would ask Service guy what are they doing. Maybe they sent out another set to resurface already or guy has a set done already hey make sure the rims are re-balanced after they re-mount snow tires.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:46 PM

He said they are going to refinsh right there. Someone know if this is even possible?

Resurface that fast! Sounds fishie but I am not in that business I would ask Service guy what are they doing. Maybe they sent out another set to resurface already or guy has a set done already hey make sure the rims are re-balanced after they re-mount snow tires.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dealer Scratches Rims