Quick vent about an un-named sponsor/vendor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W203 C230SS
Quick vent about an un-named sponsor/vendor

I have grown used to the typical cheap price and screw-job you get on shipping charges from ebay vendors as well as no name companies. However, I never thought I would have that from a well respected company/sponsor of the boards.

So- I found what I thought was the cheapest price, by a fair amount, on a set of sway bars. I went through the entire checkout process- only to see that there would be a shipping charge of $77.xx for standard shipping!!!! I checked the price of shipping through another site sponsor- $24.xx which is realistic. I also went to UPS.com in order to get an idea on real world shipping- came up with about $19.xx- so $25 is understandable since they do have to pay someone to box things up and other odds an ends.

Now, because of this- I am going to go to the other vendor and spend a little more money because of the principal of the matter. One company would have had the sale, had they not tried to put the screws to people on shipping. I'm not going to mention names of either company, as they are both sponsors. I am just hoping this particular company reads this post and makes some changes. You just lost out on a $450 sale.

On a more positive note- I just ordered a set of adjustable endlinks from Code3Performance- expecting to see a charge for shipping. Much to my suprise- shipping was included in their advertised price. for Code3
Old 02-03-2008, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
CLK Cabrio
very nice, i pm'd them about a set for my car and if i would need all corners and they never got back to me. keep us posted on how they come out. and as for shipping yeah it pisses me off too.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:47 PM

Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by bumpnzx3
I have grown used to the typical cheap price and screw-job you get on shipping charges from ebay vendors as well as no name companies. However, I never thought I would have that from a well respected company/sponsor of the boards.

So- I found what I thought was the cheapest price, by a fair amount, on a set of sway bars. I went through the entire checkout process- only to see that there would be a shipping charge of $77.xx for standard shipping!!!! I checked the price of shipping through another site sponsor- $24.xx which is realistic. I also went to UPS.com in order to get an idea on real world shipping- came up with about $19.xx- so $25 is understandable since they do have to pay someone to box things up and other odds an ends.

Now, because of this- I am going to go to the other vendor and spend a little more money because of the principal of the matter. One company would have had the sale, had they not tried to put the screws to people on shipping. I'm not going to mention names of either company, as they are both sponsors. I am just hoping this particular company reads this post and makes some changes. You just lost out on a $450 sale.

On a more positive note- I just ordered a set of adjustable endlinks from Code3Performance- expecting to see a charge for shipping. Much to my suprise- shipping was included in their advertised price. for Code3
Good for you man!
Just for the hell of it, you should contact them and ask for justification of their shipping charges.
Better still, name 'em. There's a serious flaming session going on over on the E55 board with a sponsor so now would be a good time.

If the shipping charges are justified, that's just fine.
If not, don't treat us like morons - increase the price of your product so we really know what it costs.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by bumpnzx3

Yeah I hate the price and shipping inflation by Ebay and other as well but so far been very fortunate with the Vendor/Sponsors here...I say lets make a sticky of business that gives anyone legit issues so all vendors will know we are serious about our hard earned dollars...
Old 02-04-2008, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by boohooramblers
Good for you man!
Better still, name 'em. There's a serious flaming session going on over on the E55 board with a sponsor so now would be a good time.

really know what it costs.
Hey there:

Sorry to hyjak the thread but:

Now there are two flame sessions going on in the E55 board. And the second by a very DRIVEN individual, that I know will exhaust ALL MEANS nesacary to get the job done, GOOD FOR HIM BTW, he deserves resolution and monies returned. I guess its a REALLY sad day for ALL of us MB nuts, that pay LARGE sums of money hoping for minor HP gains, and then get SCREWED in the end. I know one thing, until a resolution is found and POSTED, I won't be sending my ECU to ANYONE.

See yeah

PS: ALL modders whatch what happens my frineds BEFORE you spend your HARD earned money on this one
Old 02-04-2008, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
its a old internet trick. What vendors use to do is sell stuff at cost and make up for it in shipping.

Thats how they stay on the top of those pricing sites. Thats why the new pricing sites include the cost of shipping to remain one of the low price leaders.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 C230SS
I'm aware that it's common internet practice. However- they are the first respectable name that I've came across to do it.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Hey there:

Sorry to hyjak the thread but:

Now there are two flame sessions going on in the E55 board. And the second by a very DRIVEN individual, that I know will exhaust ALL MEANS nesacary to get the job done, GOOD FOR HIM BTW, he deserves resolution and monies returned. I guess its a REALLY sad day for ALL of us MB nuts, that pay LARGE sums of money hoping for minor HP gains, and then get SCREWED in the end. I know one thing, until a resolution is found and POSTED, I won't be sending my ECU to ANYONE.

See yeah

PS: ALL modders whatch what happens my frineds BEFORE you spend your HARD earned money on this one
I don't spend much time on the E55 forum, but I decided to check out the post you're talking about. All I can say is "wow."

I was disappointed to see that the ECU tuner in question was/is Evotech, as that's who LET uses as well. When a handful (and who knows how many others who don't want to come forward) of E55 owners start posting "the Evotech ECU tune ruined my engine, and I have the datalogging to prove it" it certainly makes one pause... doesn't it?
Old 02-05-2008, 07:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
All I can say is "wow."

When a handful (and who knows how many others who don't want to come forward) of E55 owners start posting "the Evotech ECU tune ruined my engine, and I have the datalogging to prove it" it certainly makes one pause... doesn't it?
I know I will be waiting before I use ANY tuner. I think I will just stay VERY happy with my pulley/HE, and Spacers for now

See yeah

Truely a sad time for ALL modders
Old 02-05-2008, 07:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 C230SS
Makes me glad I went with SI on my ECU.

Seems Evo is getting a lot of people mad these days
Old 02-05-2008, 11:18 AM

C32 AMG
Can somebody post a direct link here to the E55 thread in question??
Old 02-05-2008, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 E63 Obsidiant Black; '06 R350 Alabaster White; 05 C55 Obsidiant Black (sold)
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/229113-tunning-horrific-nightmare.html

have fun reading all 7 pages
Old 02-05-2008, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by dkflipse
Can somebody post a direct link here to the E55 thread in question??
and don't forget this one as well

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/228982-creative-renntech.html

See yeah
Old 02-06-2008, 12:00 PM

Fun car: 1964 Fiat 500 D
I think we are dealing with a double edged sword here.

On the one hand the origninal poster was price shopping looking for the lowest price. While there is nothing specifically wrong with this, this practice does not promote business loyalty and growth. Things such as service, holding inventory, etc. gets scrapped in order to always be a price leader and get the sale of the one time low price customer.

On the other hand the poster is upset because he spent time filling out the checkout (all the while thinking he got a great price to brag about) only to discover that the shipping was not what he 'expected'.

I don't understand while people get all up in arms about what sellers charge for shipping. It is a total perception thing and nothing more. All that matters is the FINAL price you pay delivered to your hand. If you shop that way and not attach labels to the various costs along the way you will then be truly 'price shopping'.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 E63 Obsidiant Black; '06 R350 Alabaster White; 05 C55 Obsidiant Black (sold)
I think as long as they've listed out all the price & shipping cost, they've done nothing wrong
Old 02-06-2008, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 C230SS
9 times out of 10- all of my price shopping is done within the circle of forum sponsors. I've bought something from just about every one of them and have been happy with everything. So- the only way for me to decide is by the cheapest price.

i agree- what they did is not "wrong", but in my opinion it's a shady way to go about things.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:16 PM
SPONSOR

I don't spend much time on the E55 forum, but I decided to check out the post you're talking about. All I can say is "wow."

I was disappointed to see that the ECU tuner in question was/is Evotech, as that's who LET uses as well. When a handful (and who knows how many others who don't want to come forward) of E55 owners start posting "the Evotech ECU tune ruined my engine, and I have the datalogging to prove it" it certainly makes one pause... doesn't it?

just to clarify, we have several members on this board that are using the Evotech Programming without issue. this includes the numerous clients that have purchased the Evotech Programming through LETMotorsports. there are 2 sides to every story...

just something to think about...
Old 02-06-2008, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Even if EE is guilty which I am not saying so its EE not LET thats in question....I am happy so far with my Evotech Tune...and if something goes wrong I am sure EE would help provide resolution...One case is not equal to all.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by c32used
Even if EE is guilty which I am not saying so its EE not LET thats in question....I am happy so far with my Evotech Tune...and if something goes wrong I am sure EE would help provide resolution...One case is not equal to all.
Honestly, I do agree with you guys, and certainly understand and appreciate the distinction between Evotech and LET. I have the utmost confidence in LET's products - every owner to date sings their praises for quality, performance, and value... which is no small feat.

However, you really shouldn't dismiss the Evotech thing as "one case" either - apparently (from what I gathered, reading that whole thread) several 55 owners have had issues with Evotech's ECU tuning. I tend to agree with them that when you're dealing with AMG engines that cost tens of thousands of dollars to replace, it's a reasonable expectation that the ECU tuning wouldn't be a direct cause for damage.

This could be just me, but when I think of ECU tuning, my priorities (in order) would be:

1. Engine safety
2. Reliability/driveability
3. Increased/optimized performance
Old 02-06-2008, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
I can tell you that PowerChips did a wonderful job on mine and Aaron with StealthAuto took good care of me throughout the process.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Honestly, I do agree with you guys, and certainly understand and appreciate the distinction between Evotech and LET. I have the utmost confidence in LET's products - every owner to date sings their praises for quality, performance, and value... which is no small feat.

However, you really shouldn't dismiss the Evotech thing as "one case" either - apparently (from what I gathered, reading that whole thread) several 55 owners have had issues with Evotech's ECU tuning. I tend to agree with them that when you're dealing with AMG engines that cost tens of thousands of dollars to replace, it's a reasonable expectation that the ECU tuning wouldn't be a direct cause for damage.

This could be just me, but when I think of ECU tuning, my priorities (in order) would be:

1. Engine safety
2. Reliability/driveability
3. Increased/optimized performance
Maybe I should have worded it this way that they did fine with me thus far...so I won't take any bashing to seriously til it happens to me.