C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Pulley Decision

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 05:34 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulley Decision

Right! I have a C32 and am based in the UK, it already has an sl55 airbox and resonator delete.

I really want to get a pulley and hold off on an ecu tune for the time being. Until today I was likely to purchase a pulley from LET to be installed by my merc mechanic over here. Now I read of Code3's pulley and I cannot decide what to do!

Please give me your two cents worth and unbiased opinion of what road I should take.

Thanks
Old 03-12-2008, 05:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
i would buy the code 3 pulley. 30whp for $600 is a pretty good deal and just buy the let pulley later. I would get a ecu tune, if you want to keep the car as reliable as it came from the factory. Plus since your in the Uk and how our dollar has sank like fat chick in water. It should be like christmas for you..lol.

The dollars probably going to go down even more to the british pound and euro after the fed cut later this month.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by warnhammarc32uk
Right! I have a C32 and am based in the UK, it already has an sl55 airbox and resonator delete.

I really want to get a pulley and hold off on an ecu tune for the time being. Until today I was likely to purchase a pulley from LET to be installed by my merc mechanic over here. Now I read of Code3's pulley and I cannot decide what to do!

Please give me your two cents worth and unbiased opinion of what road I should take.

Thanks
They BOTH will accomplish the same thing, ie more boost by spinning the blower faster. And BOTH LET and Code3 are TOP notch people and companies. So the choice is really up to you. Either way you go, I can assure you, you will be VERY happy with the results.

I have the crank pulley on mine. However there was NO option when I idid it so I had no choice.

The ONLY drawback to the crank pulley is that it spins EVERYTHING faster, where as the SMALLER blower pulley ONLY works the supercharger harder. Time will tell which is a better choice.

Of course, I am even thinking about using Both now, as I am an addict for HP, sad but true, I confess my addticition.

See yeah
Old 03-12-2008, 10:12 AM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Personally, I am going to go for the LET system, as I have a tendancy to not be an early adaptor to the new technology.

Either way....wont be a bad decision!

Old 03-12-2008, 10:16 AM
Almost a Member!

Thanks for all of your views! I will take the Code3 route for the time being purely on cost benefits!
Old 03-12-2008, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by loungn14
Personally, I am going to go for the LET system, as I have a tendancy to not be an early adaptor to the new technology.

Either way....wont be a bad decision!

You won't be disapointed, Erick and Jerry are TOP notch guys, with GREAT products. Lets us know when its on with results please.

See yeah
Old 03-12-2008, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by warnhammarc32uk

Thanks
I would have to say the LET route cause the Code3perfomance pulley is just to new and no critics yet to give it props or lows....Erick and Jerry sell quality stuff backed by their own diy on their cars and months upon months of testing including the track. Once there are enough people trying Code3 pulley on the track then showing what it can do then it will have more cred in my eyes. A track day showing LET VS CODE3 pully would be nice...a dyno day vs both is great also.

Trending Topics

Old 03-13-2008, 01:55 AM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
I hate to say it, but even though the concept is new to the MB world, this is the way everyone else makes power on a supercharged vehicle. Even when I talked to Magnuson, the current Eaton reps, they thought it was silly that no one made a smaller pulley. Check out the new dyno charts I posted from tonights results in the sc pulley thread. I had a boost leak that I tracked down, and picked up some more power.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:32 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by Code3 Performance
I hate to say it, but even though the concept is new to the MB world, this is the way everyone else makes power on a supercharged vehicle. Even when I talked to Magnuson, the current Eaton reps, they thought it was silly that no one made a smaller pulley. Check out the new dyno charts I posted from tonights results in the sc pulley thread. I had a boost leak that I tracked down, and picked up some more power.
true, Brandon but we haven't seen you post the pictures of how it looks even if it's just a prototype people would be interested in seeing the actual thing and on how it works. hell, i'm interested in seeing the actual thing even if it's just the prototype.

right now the Code3 s/c pulley only sums up as:

1. 30whp
2. very good dyno graph

while the other brands sums up as proven with lots of us running them.

i mean if it'll work out to be great and reliable I may be interested to part with the evosport pulley setup. depends on how much boost the s/c pulley provides.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by FrankW

right now the Code3 s/c pulley only sums up as:

1. 30whp
2. very good dyno graph

while the other brands sums up as proven with lots of us running them.

i mean if it'll work out to be great and reliable I may be interested to part with the evosport pulley setup. depends on how much boost the s/c pulley provides.
Agree w/ Frank that more pictures/specs would be greatly appreciated by all...

Frank, FWIW, I think many are interested/intrigued by the idea of adding the Code3 S/C pulley ON TOP of whatever modded crank pulley they already have (if any). You'd probably want to add one of the larger HEs also (don't see one in your sig.), but for about a grand, you might be pushing 370-380 rwhp or more! Not too shabby...
Old 03-13-2008, 08:26 AM

C32
I appreciate Code3's effort, the S/C pulley is truly new to all of us.

The crank pulley approach has been for long and it has been proven by numerous tests and by end users. Tuners like Renntech, Evosport and recently LET has their success stories.

Frankly, to switch all, if not all, but a good fraction of pending crank pulley buyers to the S/C approach requires more proven successes.

IMO, I would say at this time, Lets LET.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:02 AM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by cnchung
I appreciate Code3's effort, the S/C pulley is truly new to all of us.

The crank pulley approach has been for long and it has been proven by numerous tests and by end users. Tuners like Renntech, Evosport and recently LET has their success stories.

Frankly, to switch all, if not all, but a good fraction of pending crank pulley buyers to the S/C approach requires more proven successes.

IMO, I would say at this time, Lets LET.

Wow....couldnt have said it any better!!!
Old 03-13-2008, 11:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the Evosport on mine, because LET and Code3 were not available yet. If I had it to do over, I'd do LET followed by a custom ECU tune from a shop that knows AMG cars well, i.e. Renntech, Kleemann, etc. For only a few hundred dollars more, you'll do WAY better than I did, and end up with a tune that is both higher performance and better for your car too
Old 03-13-2008, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203, W211, W219, W212
I'd say Brandon needs to get on it quick. Give us some pics, this is the perfect time to sit down and take care of us, potential customers!
Old 03-13-2008, 12:43 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
I posted up new dyno numbers, af numbers, and my take on the sc versus crank pulley. But I did it in the sc pulley thread. I want to try and keep my answers in the same place for everyone to see.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:34 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Agree w/ Frank that more pictures/specs would be greatly appreciated by all...

Frank, FWIW, I think many are interested/intrigued by the idea of adding the Code3 S/C pulley ON TOP of whatever modded crank pulley they already have (if any). You'd probably want to add one of the larger HEs also (don't see one in your sig.), but for about a grand, you might be pushing 370-380 rwhp or more! Not too shabby...
with the claim spec on the Code3 pulley seems like it is running around the same boost as the evo/let/asp etc crank pulley kits. adding that to the crank pulley kits might mean detonation...

if they can work in conjunction with the evo/let/asp pulley and increase the boost to around 20psi which is what the LET guys has with their largest pulley kit then it would be awesome.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:28 PM

SLK32
Depends how quickly you want to get the pulley and how much boost you want to run.

If I was going to purchase a pulley today I would go with the LET 181 or 185. I have a 185mm pulley on order and am impatiently awaiting its arrival.

Eric & Jerry are both great guys, very helpful, and stand behind their products. I am a happy customer.

If you are not in a hurry I might wait a couple of months and see what develops with Brandon's (Code3) pulley.

Once more data is available you can make an informed decision.