C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Funny story.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 ///AMG
Funny story.....

Not C32 related but wanted to share. So I take my company car in for servicing on a quick recall at the Pontiac dealer this morning. I drop the car off for a quick 1/2 fix and roam through the lot looking at the Solstice and new G8.

Slick salesman come up to me all bubbly and sees me looking at the G8. He spouts out "Looking at the G8 are ya?" I reply "yep". He then reply's "Great, shall we take it for a test drive". I look up at him and say "sure". We take it out for 5-10 minutes and get back to the lot and he 'closes' me with the "shall we go in and write up a contract?". I look at him and say "contract?, you asked me if I was 'looking' at the G8 and I was doing just that! You didn't ask me if I was looking to buy one! My 07 is in for servicing and I thought you were just being nice." I wish I had a camera at the moment to capture the expression on his face.......priceless......
Old 04-02-2008, 10:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02 c32 99 superduty
Old 04-02-2008, 10:54 PM

06 C55
yep

I love these games.....

Idiot forgot to even ask you if you were in the market.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Old 04-03-2008, 10:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C63S,2013 C63 AMG Coupe, 2002 C32 AMG (gone but not forgotten)
How does the G8 compare to the c32?
Old 04-03-2008, 12:02 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
That is pretty funny......
Old 04-03-2008, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by silver_metallic
How does the G8 compare to the c32?

I remember seeing a video showing a G8 doing the quarter in 13.1@108...so I presume it should compete especially that it has 361 hp and 385 tq only the GT version but it weights 3995lbs according to manufacturer so . Now a I say that the G8 and C32 are in totally different classes...so I think it will compete in the straightline not the track.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:43 PM

2002 C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by c32used
I remember seeing a video showing a G8 doing the quarter in 13.1@108...so I presume it should compete especially that it has 361 hp and 385 tq only the GT version but it weights 3995lbs according to manufacturer so . Now a I say that the G8 and C32 are in totally different classes...so I think it will compete in the straightline not the track.
Where did you read that at? Curious becasue I't really didn't feel like a 13 second car at all. Whenever the salesman tell me "its ok to step on it" he doesn't have to ask twice. I had it up to 85-90 then backed off. Not a bad car but not worth the hype -- I see ads in every magazine and billboard in town. The G8 in on our 'list' of available cars BUT Company policy is no V-8's! Boooo! The V-6 is still a decent motor though. It will be this or the Malibu next go around.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:43 PM

2002 C32 ///AMG
....and I like my Krautmobile much better!
Old 04-03-2008, 11:42 PM

Cars
The G8 GT stock is a high 13 low 14 second car running a conservative factory tune and regular unleaded. With a good tune and running premium the car could dip lower. The G8 GT is set up to be a very capable handling car. In Oz the Monaros are run in road racing quite frequently. It'll be interesting to see how much a G8 can be hopped up as there's already quite a few companies making parts or that have parts in development...such as exhaust and super chargers. The G8 GXP coming out by the end of the year should be interesting as it's running a detuned Corvette LS3 at 405 hp, large Brembo brakes and a sportier suspension.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
How did we figure you would chime in to defend the Poncho contingent?

Do you know the OP? j/k!
Old 04-04-2008, 12:11 AM

Cars
Originally Posted by splinter
How did we figure you would chime in to defend the Poncho contingent?

Do you know the OP? j/k!
Yeah, I met him once or twice... I remember selling him his second car...a Pontiac. Now that I think about it his first car was a Pontiac. He drives a company car that's a Pontiac and wants a Pontiac Trans Am.....Hmmmmm..... LOL

I like performance machines in all shapes or forms. I get all the car rags and they've been plastered with Challenger, G8, M3 and C63 road tests so by osmosis I can spew stats on all of 'em!!! LOL

Last edited by tripower; 04-04-2008 at 12:19 AM.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by hkycoldrct
Where did you read that at? Curious becasue I't really didn't feel like a 13 second car at all. Whenever the salesman tell me "its ok to step on it" he doesn't have to ask twice. I had it up to 85-90 then backed off. Not a bad car but not worth the hype -- I see ads in every magazine and billboard in town. The G8 in on our 'list' of available cars BUT Company policy is no V-8's! Boooo! The V-6 is still a decent motor though. It will be this or the Malibu next go around.
Here is a stock G8 drag time...
http://www.dragtimes.com/Pontiac-G8-Timeslip-14653.html

I can't remember where I saw the video...sorry.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator

He and I are both jonesing for a clean and straight SD. F-body Formula for me, preferably.

Don’t tell my MB bros…
Old 04-04-2008, 12:31 AM

Cars
He and I are both jonesing for a clean and straight SD. F-body Formula for me, preferably.

Don’t tell my MB bros…
Formula 400 or 455....That's my favorite of the 2nd Gen F-bodies. More understated than the TA with all the punch if ordered the right way. You have very good taste my friend!

Last edited by tripower; 04-04-2008 at 02:32 AM.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:32 AM

2005 C55 AMG
That story is priceless! I was rolling after reading it, and could imagine it playing out in a sitcom fashion. Good job!

The G8 will have plenty of performance potential. Like any GM LS-based motor, they'll be leaving a lot on the table that is ready to be unleashed via computer tuning, a little better airbox breathing, and exhaust. It's certainly a step in the right direction for GM, but I agree I'll stick w/ my nice 4-door Krautmobile.
I can't believe I've become so MB loyal this early in the game. Sheesh, I'm defending it over my lifelong ownership of GM vehicles. I guess it's proof that people can change...
However, I'll still choose the GM for drag racing purposes.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:12 AM

2002 C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by tripower
I remember selling him his second car...a Pontiac. Now that I think about it his first car was a Pontiac. He drives a company car that's a Pontiac and wants a Pontiac Trans Am.....Hmmmmm..... LOL

I like performance machines in all shapes or forms. I get all the car rags and they've been plastered with Challenger, G8, M3 and C63 road tests so by osmosis I can spew stats on all of 'em!!! LOL
Brother, you wouldn't catch me dead rolling in a GTO. The only thing that got the family Pontiac hand-down going was an Olds engine! As fur the company ride, I'm a trying one of everything and it was Pontiac's turn. Sorry Darth, Luke is staying put! Only Ponco I'm buying would be a 70 TA and I hadn't much luck finding one.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tripower
...I like performance machines in all shapes or forms...
It’s not exactly what I would do with my GTO, but this gent ran very strong at the digs today:

Old 04-07-2008, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Well I feel that if I had a car like that I wouldn't keep it in a garage collecting dust til an event...I would take it ramdomly to drag sessions just wouldn't overdo it.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:04 AM

Cars
Looks like a 66 GTO. Do you know what he was running? Which track was he running at?
Old 04-08-2008, 01:13 AM
Super Moderator

You are, of course, correct. It is indeed a ’66. The owner is a dedicated enthusiast and devotee of the marque. He was running on the 1/8 mile at Irwindale. Its best ET was 6.56, which when converted to 1/4 mile times by NHRA accepted formula, equates to ~10.25 seconds.
Darn quick by any street legal (and registered) point of reference.

c32used- I can always respect a guy who gets after it. That’s what a proper car is built for, regardless of venue. Witness the gentlemen who risk their irreplaceable machines at vintage road races. Takes some serious huevos and healthy wallet to do it. If I’m ever fortunate enough to own a valuable GTO, it’ll be a clean restomod without any graphics or overt doodads. Alas, it wouldn’t yank the front end off the line, either.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by hkycoldrct
Not C32 related but wanted to share. So I take my company car in for servicing on a quick recall at the Pontiac dealer this morning. I drop the car off for a quick 1/2 fix and roam through the lot looking at the Solstice and new G8.

Slick salesman come up to me all bubbly and sees me looking at the G8. He spouts out "Looking at the G8 are ya?" I reply "yep". He then reply's "Great, shall we take it for a test drive". I look up at him and say "sure". We take it out for 5-10 minutes and get back to the lot and he 'closes' me with the "shall we go in and write up a contract?". I look at him and say "contract?, you asked me if I was 'looking' at the G8 and I was doing just that! You didn't ask me if I was looking to buy one! My 07 is in for servicing and I thought you were just being nice." I wish I had a camera at the moment to capture the expression on his face.......priceless......
Old 04-09-2008, 12:43 AM

Cars
You are, of course, correct. It is indeed a ’66. The owner is a dedicated enthusiast and devotee of the marque. He was running on the 1/8 mile at Irwindale. Its best ET was 6.56, which when converted to 1/4 mile times by NHRA accepted formula, equates to ~10.25 seconds. Darn quick by any street legal (and registered) point of reference.

c32used- I can always respect a guy who gets after it. That’s what a proper car is built for, regardless of venue. Witness the gentlemen who risk their irreplaceable machines at vintage road races. Takes some serious huevos and healthy wallet to do it. If I’m ever fortunate enough to own a valuable GTO, it’ll be a clean restomod without any graphics or overt doodads. Alas, it wouldn’t yank the front end off the line, either.
That is a very quick Goat! At those times it must've had a roll cage. There's a series called "Pontiac Drag Days" that runs every year for dedicated Pontiac racers. GTOs, Firebirds, late model Grand Prixs, etc. run. They used to run at Palmdale and I'm not sure where they'll run now. This GTO may have been involved with PDD. I haven't gotten mine sorted out enough to run at the track yet.

Like you, I have respect for the guy who takes out a classic and runs it like he stole it! As you said, the guys running some of those very rare exotic machines in vintage road races have some serious "steel *****"!

My Goat is a restomod: Modern 4 wheel disks, upgraded del-a-lum bushings, tubular control arms. The car handles more like a modern car while retain classic looks. I've taken great pains to keep the car looking stock. Other than 18" American Racing Grey centered Torque Thrusts and the big Baer brakes, the car looks pretty stock.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
I suspect it'll be a bit slower than that. Two month ago at Famoso, in near perfect weather conditions, the GTO ran a best of 13.1 and averaged 13.3 seconds in the 1/4 mile. And since the G8 is heavier and has less hp, I'd predict high 13s to low 14s unless running at a DA of -2000 ft @ 38 F temps.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
I respect every mans opinions on how they would use their cars rather valuable or not...I would probably be the same if I owned something with great value...but at the same token its not a life so its value to me is that "its a thing"..somethings have extreme value to alot of people but there is always a small percentage(I guess) of people that just don't care and value only living things..coming from extreme poorness I learned everything is only the value that one portrays it to be...I would drive a Bugatti Veyron as a daily driver and wouldn't be bothered by it...at the same token would value more taking my pet to a vet appointment. I love history but its that to me...just history. I know the value history can be but I live for tomorrows offering not yesterdays. I love how the past molded the future but I prefer to live knowing I lived for that day instead of letting value change my mind in thinking.