E55 supercharger on a C55?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
Originally Posted by Quicktwinturbo
This is what I learned from mod'n/ tuning cars..
Do not try to make slow car go fast... Get a faster car from the start and enjoy driving it... I'm not saying C55s are slow but E55 would murder C55..

Yes, it is possible to slap on an E55 SC with mod'n and tune'n but trust me...you will have problems sooner or later. If not, it will take AWHILE to make it run right. Then you'll have some sort of problems.. Could be small as re-tune'n or big as replaceing internals of ur engine... Once u starts to have problem, you need to spend more money and less time enjoying the ride..

If it was like swaping Type R motor into a civic, everyone with C55 would've done it already... I learned that it's alot more complicated with benz cars and if one thing goes wrong, it will cost alot to fix..

But, if you have $ to blow, time to waste, it would be a neat project for sure... hell, if you got all that, why not just drop in SL65 motor...

Just my 2cents..

1+ exactly what i'm trying to say.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
1+ exactly what i'm trying to say.
well i dont want a E55, cars too big! but these guys have a great point. if u want some serious power move up. or cough up the bucks and get a kleemann or renntech s/c
Old 04-15-2008, 02:22 AM

2005 C55 AMG
I'm 23 and the E55 is out of my price range. It is also bigger then what I would like to drive. I thought it might be cheaper to put the SC from the E55 on my car but I doubt that will be an option for me now. I'm going to be NA for a while. I cant afford the Kleeman right now.

Thanks for all the info guys.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:35 AM

2005 C55 AMG
I don't really want to get into a debate with anyone over this. We've all had our own experiences with various projects. I've owned and raced three V6 turbocharged applications, and one V8 stroker application, and have developed a learning curve along the way.
I will say however, at the end of the day, I'd bet the farm on the durability and reliability of the engine in the C55. It has all of the strong internals it would need. A cast piston will hold up to boost as long as it is supplied with enough fuel and controlled spark timing so that it doesn't detonate. Boost doesn't kill motors --- detonation does! The engine in the C55 is advertised as having "reinforced" internal components from top to bottom, including pistons and the block itself. I would interpret those as being "forged aluminum" and/or steel, depending on the component it applies to. We're not dealing with the little lawnmower engine quality that comes in a Civic or Tercel, or any of the other garbage that "tuners" try to turn into “race cars”. Instead, we're dealing with a well-built, extremely reliable performance engine. We're also not talking about adding 150+ hp to it either, but rather a moderate controlled amount of boost that'll give some added hp w/o risking blowing the heads off the car. (Everything in moderation…)
What do you think happens when you introduce nitrous to one of our engines? There are numerous people on the board here that have done this with success on stock engines. I assure you that hitting an engine with an instant 75-100hp shot of nitrous will shock the entire drivetrain much worse than a phased-in supercharged boost approach.

The only significant difference in the E55 and C55 engine is the compression ratio being lowered to allow for the introduction of boost, which can be achieved by a different piston dish and/or combustion chamber on the head itself, and possibly a thicker head gasket.
If we were to add a supercharger from an E55 to a C55, then "yes", we'd need to adjust all the computer controlled parameters that go with it, i.e. the same thing Kleemann or any other ECU tuner would do if they sold you a supercharger kit. What “magic” do you assume their supercharger setup has over a stock MB unit? I'd be willing to bet it's manufactured by the same company, or a design derivative of it. The supercharger will do ONE thing --- force air through the engine. It may be a root style blower, or a screw type blower, or a centrifugal blower, but they all do the same thing --- blow air. It's up to the end-user to then manage that extra air through various means, i.e. bigger injectors and/or fuel pump, intercooler, and programming. If someone really wanted to do it up right, they'd go through the effort of pulling the heads and having them ported as well as making the combustion chamber bigger, which would then lower the compression while allowing more air flow. However, that's where the big bucks would come into play, so it's unlikely any of us will go that far.

When adding horsepower and torque to the engine/drivetrain, it doesn't really matter how you achieve it. The number remains the same, and the components will tolerate it accordingly. If you increase yourself by 50hp by doing a tune, headers/cat back system, underdrive pulleys, etc,,, it's no different than choosing to add that same amount of power by nitrous or a blower, or a turbo. You still have to supply an equal amount of fuel to manage the additional horsepower. It's just a matter of how you want to reach the end goal.

I will certainly agree with all of you --- in that there's a lot more to it than just bolting on a supercharger and proclaiming; "I'm fast now!” It's not a project for an amateur, but it certainly is an achievable project for someone with a little bit of skill, money, and a willingness to take the proper precautions. If my C55 weren't my daily driver I'd be jumping at the chance to do it, but for now I'll have to leave my boost experience to cramming 20+ psi through the little V6 in my Grand National. BTW, it's a stock cast iron block and heads with a stock crankshaft, but somehow it holds up to 450+ rwhp and asks for more... It seems to work fine with conservative timing, ample fuel delivery, and a big intercooler. All of this on a 21-year-old GM basic computerized vehicle that was never designed or intended to handle these power levels. And,,, mine is one of the weaker ones out there.

I could provide countless examples of GM LS-platform engines that survive ridiculous hp levels by simply bolting on a blower and being reprogrammed. And as much as I love the ol' General, I tend to believe MB (AMG) designs and engineer their engines with greater strength and ability than a domestic pushrod V8. I've had my C55 up on the rack a couple times, and I've been amazed at the engineering underneath it, along with the durable drivetrain components I could see. I tend to believe the rest of the AMG package would follow suit... The C55 block and E55 block are the same I believe. The block itself is not the weakest link. How often do you hear of a block splitting in half or "breaking". It's usually damaged by throwing a rod through it, or chunking the crankshaft out the bottom, etc. Our blocks are not where the threat of damage would come into play.

I certainly respect everyone's input regarding this type of mod. I disagree with some of it, but that's kinda' the point of a web forum to begin with --- sharing knowledge and healthy debates therein.

Alright, I've written so much I'm not sure I even remember what the original topic was. To whomever is able to try the supercharger mod from an E55, I hope you'll share all of the details along the way. It sounds very intriguing, and would certainly make the smaller, lighter-weight, more nimble C55 one heck of a fun ride!!!

Goodnight!

Last edited by JToups386; 04-15-2008 at 03:43 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CThirtyTwo
I'm 23 and the E55 is out of my price range. It is also bigger then what I would like to drive. I thought it might be cheaper to put the SC from the E55 on my car but I doubt that will be an option for me now. I'm going to be NA for a while. I cant afford the Kleeman right now.

Thanks for all the info guys.
yeah i would keep it NA or trade it in and buy a c32. Its easier to get power out of a car thats already supercharged or turbo'ed from the factory.

That way all your really have to do is upgrade the turbo. Also its easier to pass smog since most techs won't know the difference between a stock turbo and a aftermarket one. Long as you pass the breather test.

if you get the kleeman kit, you might want to ask them if its carb legal. It doesn't say it is or not on the website.

Last edited by TemjinX2; 04-15-2008 at 04:52 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:53 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by bmjdevelopment
Best way to supercharge of C55 is with Kleemann.

http://www.kleemann.dk/site/Main/eng...es/nav8engines

Other board members have done it with great success.
+1
Old 04-15-2008, 04:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JToups386

I certainly respect everyone's input regarding this type of mod. I disagree with some of it, but that's kinda' the point of a web forum to begin with --- sharing knowledge and healthy debates therein.

Alright, I've written so much I'm not sure I even remember what the original topic was. To whomever is able to try the supercharger mod from an E55, I hope you'll share all of the details along the way. It sounds very intriguing, and would certainly make the smaller, lighter-weight, more nimble C55 one heck of a fun ride!!!

Goodnight!
I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm just wanted the poster to be aware of the risks and whats involved.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:36 AM

C55
even the honda 1.8 litre B blocks can sustain around 20psi of boost. i'd like to think a 5.5 M113 can handle 6psi without any problems.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by crazeazn
even the honda 1.8 litre B blocks can sustain around 20psi of boost. i'd like to think a 5.5 M113 can handle 6psi without any problems.
I think people are misinterpreting my statement. When i meant block as the weakest link, I meant the internals of the block, specifically the rods and pistons. More so the rods.

I have no doubt the blocks themselves can handle a lot of power.

Also going off of psi is not a good measurement as well. 20psi on a gt28 will give different amount of hp then 20psi on a gt35.

The stock block integra block can hold up to 500whp before it needs to be sleeved. It is recommended you sleeve the block if you go past 300whp.

Its just like wearing a seat belt. You can drive your car and function well without using a seat belt, but if you get into a accident. Your glad you put it on.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
I think people are misinterpreting my statement. When i meant block as the weakest link, I meant the internals of the block, specifically the rods and pistons. More so the rods.

cut

According to the MB press kit, M113's use forged steel connecting rods.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:33 PM

C55

Also going off of psi is not a good measurement as well. 20psi on a gt28 will give different amount of hp then 20psi on a gt35.

The stock block integra block can hold up to 500whp before it needs to be sleeved. It is recommended you sleeve the block if you go past 300whp.

Its just like wearing a seat belt. You can drive your car and function well without using a seat belt, but if you get into a accident. Your glad you put it on.
The block no doubt, but i meant the internals. the pistons and rods specifically. granted the psi argument is inane but take for example the IS300, you can run 1 bar with the stock motor (with headgasket) on pretty much a variety of turbos (t04, GT45, etc al) using stock pistons rods.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MarcusF
According to the MB press kit, M113's use forged steel connecting rods.
link?
Old 04-15-2008, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

here's a link another c55 owner who tried to do forced induction. Its more detailed in what is involved.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ghlight=tt+c55
Old 04-16-2008, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
link?
Press kits are available to members of the automotive press. You'd need a user ID and password. I typically download mine from manufacturer press sites. The spec sheet for the 2005 press kit stopped being available at the Mercedes-Benz media site when the 2007 press kit became available. The only part of the 2005 press kit that is still available at the Mercedes-Benz media site is the table of contents.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by MarcusF
...I typically download mine from manufacturer press sites...
MarcusF- OT here, but I’ve read your contributions to the ‘best oil’ thread and your Signal to Noise site.

Exceptionally well done.

Stop by our section more often, would you please?
Old 04-16-2008, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
Thank you. And I'll make it a point to stop in more often.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:52 AM

C55
c55 per MBUSA:

Engine 5,439-cc AMG-built SOHC 24-valve 90° V-8. High-pressure die-cast alloy cylinder block. Alloy heads. Lightweight camshafts. Reinforced engine block, oil pan structure, pistons, connecting rods, crankshaft and valvetrain.

Net power 362 hp @ 5,750 rpmNet torque 376 lb-ft @ 4,000 rpmCompression ratio 11.0:1
Fuel requirement
Premium unleaded gasoline.
Fuel and ignition system ME 2.8 engine management. Integrated sequential multipoint fuel injection and phased twin-spark ignition with individual cylinder control of fuel spray, spark timing and phase, and antiknock. Electronic throttle. Two high-energy ignition coils and two spark plugs per cylinder. 100,000-mile spark plug intervals.
Intake system Magnesium 2-stage resonance intake manifold increases intake runner length at lower rpm for improved response.
Transmission Standard AMG-enhanced 5-speed automatic. Electronically controlled shifting. Driver-adaptive programming adjusts shift points to the driver's current driving style. Touch Shift allows driver to manually downshift and allow upshifts by nudging the shift lever left or right from the Drive position. Shift into Optimum Gear programming allows one-touch selection of the best gear for maximum acceleration or engine braking by holding the shift lever to the left of Drive for one second. Driver-selectable Comfort mode starts vehicle moving in 2nd gear or a second Reverse gear, and upshifts at lower rpm, to help improve control on slippery surfaces. Instrument-cluster readout of selected gear range and Standard/Comfort mode.
AMG SpeedShift™ AMG SpeedShift programming provides up to 35% faster gear changes, automatically downshifts during braking, prevents unwanted upshifting while cornering, offers one-touch selection of the best gear for maximum acceleration (Shift into Optimum Gear), and features torque converter lockup in all forward gears. Fingertip manual mode allows direct-access shifting through forward gears via buttons on back of upper steering-wheel spokes (left button downshifts, right button upshifts) or via Touch Shift feature of shift lever, and will automatically intervene only to select 1st gear when the vehicle stops. In Standard and Comfort modes, the steering-wheel buttons operate the Touch Shift feature.

Drive configuration Rear-wheel drive

Rear axle ratio 3.06:1

E55:

Engine 5,439-cc AMG-built supercharged SOHC 24-valve 90° V-8. Reinforced high-pressure die-cast alloy cylinder block. Alloy heads. Counter-rotating balance shaft.

Net power 469 hp @ 6,100 rpmNet torque 516 lb-ft. @ 2,650 - 4,500 rpmCompression ratio 9.0:1
Fuel requirement
Premium unleaded gasoline, 91 pump octane.
Fuel and ignition system ME 2.8 engine management. Integrated sequential multipoint fuel injection and phased twin-spark ignition includes individual cylinder control of fuel spray, spark timing and phase, and antiknock. Electronic throttle. Two high-energy ignition coils and two spark plugs per cylinder. 100,000-mile spark-plug intervals.
Intake system Helical high-pressure supercharger with liquid-to-air intercooler.
Transmission AMG-enhanced 5-speed automatic with AMG SpeedShift™ and fingertip manual mode. Driver-adaptive programming adjusts shift points to the driver's current driving style. Touch Shift allows driver to manually downshift and allow upshifts by nudging the shift lever left or right from the Drive position. Shift into Optimum Gear programming allows one-touch selection of the best gear for maximum acceleration or engine braking by holding the shift lever to the left of Drive for one second. Driver-selectable Comfort mode starts vehicle moving in 2nd gear or a second Reverse gear, and upshifts at lower rpm, to help improve control on slippery surfaces.
AMG SpeedShift™ AMG SpeedShift programming provides up to 35% faster gear changes, automatically downshifts during braking, prevents unwanted upshifting while cornering, offers one-touch selection of the best gear for maximum acceleration (Shift into Optimum Gear), and features torque converter lockup in all forward gears. Fingertip manual mode allows direct-access shifting through forward gears via buttons on the back of the upper steering wheel spokes (left button downshifts, right button upshifts) or via the Touch Shift feature of the shift lever, and will automatically intervene only to induce an upshift at redline, to downshift as needed upon full throttle and to select 1st gear when the vehicle stops. In Sport and Comfort modes, the steering wheel buttons operate the Touch Shift feature.
Drive configuration Rear-wheel drive.
Rear axle ratio 2.65:1
Old 04-16-2008, 12:54 AM

C55
http://www.mbusa.com/models/features...C55&class=06_C

http://www.mbusa.com/models/features...E55&class=06_E

personally, i believe there is no difference in the block/pistons/rods reading that spec sheet. i think the only thing thats diff is the compression ratio. we need a real mb tech to tell us the difference between the m113 and m113ml
Old 04-16-2008, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by CThirtyTwo
I was going to get a C32. But the dealer was giving me nothing but problems. The car was not ready on 2 occasions..I found a C55 that I liked and decided to get it. I put a request to change my SN.

I figured that since the E55 and c55 have same basic engine, that it would be easy to fit the E55 S/C onto the C55 with very little modification.
By the way, you can change your name to CFiftyFive if you like by e-mailing one of our Admins, and they'll be happy to help you....
Old 04-16-2008, 03:33 AM

2005 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
By the way, you can change your name to CFiftyFive if you like by e-mailing one of our Admins, and they'll be happy to help you....
Who is an admin. I dont know where to find them.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:41 AM

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
'19 AMG E53 Cpe, '23 EQS 580 SUV, '88 560SL, '35 Ford 5w coupe, '53 MGTD and others
E55:

Engine 5,439-cc AMG-built supercharged SOHC 24-valve 90° V-8. Reinforced high-pressure die-cast alloy cylinder block. Alloy heads. Counter-rotating balance shaft.
A balance shaft on a V-8!
Old 04-16-2008, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Merc power
Originally Posted by Quicktwinturbo
Too much hassel, time, money imo....
Just buy E55 and call it a day...
dito, since the price now days are in mid 30g's ish... not expensive anymore.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:19 PM

2002 C32, 2011 VW GTI
Just because it fits doesn't mean it'll work correctly. Your going to need the e55 ecu or retune your stock ecu to run the correct air and fuel maps.

Even then considering how oversensitive the mercedes sensors are, you still might get some cels. If this is your daily driver, i would recommend against this, unless you can afford a lot of down time on your car.
Hehe, no kidding. You can't even install cruise control on a modern German car not originally so equipped without the "check engine" light coming on and everything going dark. These things are so complicated that I wouldn't even think about embarking on something like this unless I was NASA engineer, and even then, I don't know.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Slater126
Hehe, no kidding. You can't even install cruise control on a modern German car not originally so equipped without the "check engine" light coming on and everything going dark. These things are so complicated that I wouldn't even think about embarking on something like this unless I was NASA engineer, and even then, I don't know.
yeah i recently my oem tail light bulb went out and i replaced it with one from autozone. Its the same size bulb and everything and i still get a gay alarm saying using subsitute bulb warning light.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
your biggest question should be reliability. the compression ratio throws a ring into all the above.
Not necessasarily. I agree with what you wrote further down, that the C55 M113 engine can sustain some amount of forced induction/boost. Even with the higher compression ratio, I'd take the risk, and reliability is not a question for me.