C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Parking lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 09:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C32 AMG, 2003 E39 M5
Parking lights

I do not have access to my book on the car till tommorow so I thought I would ask a question on parking lights.

Now you can turn the light switch for the headlights to the left which say parking lights. There are two clicks you can do to the left. I turned it one click and no lights. I turned it one more click and still no lights. I then turned the switch to the right and each click I believe there are 3 gave me some sort of light each time.

So my question is when I turn it one click to the left what am I susposed to get lights?

When I turn it one more click which is the second click to the left what am I susposed to get for lights?

I wonder if I was doing something wrong or if there is an issue?

Thanks
Old 04-27-2008, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E90 M3
the farthest left click turns on your standing lamps on the left side of the car
the 2nd click from the left turns them on for the right side
Old 04-28-2008, 10:09 AM

Guess there is something wrong with my lights then. Because when I turned the knob to the left 1 click and then 2 clicks I got no lights.

Thanks

Originally Posted by kevblah
the farthest left click turns on your standing lamps on the left side of the car
Old 04-28-2008, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by kevblah
Standing lamps?
Old 04-28-2008, 12:55 PM

2005 C55 AMG
This is actually a common usage in Europe for people parking on the street. We don't have nearly as much of a need for it in the US.

To my understanding, these lights do not come on while the engine is running. Try it again with the car off.

They are designed to illuminate whichever side of the vehicle is facing the lane of traffic, so that someone doesn't come along and sideswipe you. For example, in the US, you'd typically parallel park on the street with the driver's side facing outward towards the street, therefore you'd select the setting that would illuminate it. These lights do not pull much of a drain on the battery, therefore they can be left on while parked for dinner, a movie, ball game event, etc.

I'd be willing to bet yours do work with the engine off. If not, then you'll need to check fuses or take it for service.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:08 PM

Pretty cool. The car was running when I tried it. I will try it with the car off.

Originally Posted by JToups386
This is actually a common usage in Europe for people parking on the street. We don't have nearly as much of a need for it in the US.

To my understanding, these lights do not come on while the engine is running. Try it again with the car off.

They are designed to illuminate whichever side of the vehicle is facing the lane of traffic, so that someone doesn't come along and sideswipe you. For example, in the US, you'd typically parallel park on the street with the driver's side facing outward towards the street, therefore you'd select the setting that would illuminate it. These lights do not pull much of a drain on the battery, therefore they can be left on while parked for dinner, a movie, ball game event, etc.

I'd be willing to bet yours do work with the engine off. If not, then you'll need to check fuses or take it for service.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:46 PM

2003 C32 AMG; 2005 Ducati 749D
I tried it when I got home this evening and they do turn on as described. My Ducati has a similar feature with a parking lamp position on the ignition.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:22 AM

If they do not drain the battery where do they get power from. I am just curious.

Thanks

Originally Posted by JToups386

Old 04-29-2008, 09:57 AM

'02 C230 Coupe, '87 EVO II Turbo
These parking lights are a cool feature. I use it whenever I'm parked in a small street. However, every single time I use them, someone always tells me I left my lights on...
Old 04-29-2008, 09:42 PM

06 C55
Originally Posted by evo2turbo
These parking lights are a cool feature. I use it whenever I'm parked in a small street. However, every single time I use them, someone always tells me I left my lights on...
+1
Old 04-30-2008, 01:14 AM

2005 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by bud4ya
If they do not drain the battery where do they get power from. I am just curious.

Thanks
They pull it from the battery just like anything else. However, they do not pull a lot of power to run them. In other words, you can feel safe using them for a few hours without coming back to a dead battery. Keep in mind it's only two bulbs being illuminated at once, which certainly won't kill the car's battery over the course of 4 or 5 hours. (assuming your battery is fine to begin with...)
Old 04-30-2008, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 108 Likes on 101 Posts
2005 w203 C230
They are an old old old M-B European feature, especially for the narrower roads and non illuminated roads there. These lights can easily run over night...If you want I can scan the feature out of one of my w123 sales books...The w203 should have no problem with these lights. I use them a lot as well (along with the rear fog light) and people always are saying WTF...You can not blame them...it is too easy to get a license in this country and not enough people that do drive are properly educated to be able to drive well...

Good luck!
Jake

(Speaking of fog lights…can anyone here run their front and rear fogs at the same time? My w203 can only run the rear fog if the front MAIN beams are on…the w123 can run front and rear fog only – with NO main beam…I want to be able to run fog only in heavy rain / snow with the w203…)