Rear ended and have an insurance question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
Rear ended and have an insurance question

I was rear ended around 4 or so today. Nothing major just scraped up my bumper and there is a slight bulge in the bumper by the tail light.

Well, the person that rear ended me was rear ended by a person behind them and I'm assuming caused them to run in to me. So who's insurance should be convering my damage? The person that hit me or the person that hit the person behind me causing them to hit me?
Old 05-09-2008, 12:06 AM
cdd

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
N/A
This happened to my brother (in California) he was the second car hit just like you. In his case the car that caused the original impact was responsible for repairs on both cars.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by cdd
This happened to my brother (in California) he was the second car hit just like you. In his case the car that caused the original impact was responsible for repairs on both cars.
I would say +1 but if you were rearended by the car behind you that could mean they were following too close to begin with as such that they ended up hitting you so I say let your insurance sort it out for you...just explain what happened and let them determine who is at fault its there job anyway...don't worry about it
Old 05-09-2008, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by c32used
I would say +1 but if you were rearended by the car behind you that could mean they were following too close to begin with as such that they ended up hitting you so I say let your insurance sort it out for you...just explain what happened and let them determine who is at fault its there job anyway...don't worry about it
I'm assuming that he was stopped and the car right behind him was pushed into his car? Either way, I also believe it would be the car that made the original impact that is responsible.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by Chazz
I'm assuming that he was stopped and the car right behind him was pushed into his car? Either way, I also believe it would be the car that made the original impact that is responsible.
Well if the car behind him is stopped and was forced then it was the original car that caused the accident.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Originally Posted by c32used
Yeah, I received a call and it seems they are going to try to place blame on the driver that hit the person behind me and that most likely they will be getting in contact with her insurance.

I received a call from that driver asking me if she could pay for the damages out of pocket, but I'm a little worried that their could be some risk associated with that. The insurance rep told me that they will most likely be getting in contact with her insurance, so I may just have to go through her insurance any ways.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:02 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
I have been through this many times. The person at the end of the "parade of crashed cars" will be responsible.

DO NOT LET HER PAY OUT OF POCKET- Really bad idea.

Go through the insurance, as there is a lot of stuff that could happen if you dont.

Had a friend that had that happen, and he took the cash. A month later the responsible parties insurance contacted him about a medical claim that "he caused"

Better safe then sorry.

You do have a police report??
Old 05-09-2008, 12:06 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
+1

Originally Posted by loungn14
I have been through this many times. The person at the end of the "parade of crashed cars" will be responsible.

Go through the insurance, as there is a lot of stuff that could happen if you dont.

Had a friend that had that happen, and he took the cash. A month later the responsible parties insurance contacted him about a medical claim that "he caused"

Better safe then sorry.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Exclamation

Better safe then sorry.

+1

LET THE INSURANCE GUIDE YOU...
Old 05-09-2008, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG

Better safe then sorry.

No, I didn't call the cops. I didn't think that it was necessary. Every one was safe and I didn't want the cop to give any one a ticket. I was at a complete stop and I had slowly been following a bus, plus I had two passengers with me. If I need evidence that I was not at fault, I think I'm covered.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E350 Iridium Silver with pano
This happened to my car last December. Our car was in the middle. As long as you state the facts to your insurance, they will take care of everything. A police report is not necessary in this case. It actually delayed us because the officer did not submit the paperwork until after a week or so.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:25 PM

C32 AMG
Do you have rental included in your policy? Sounds like your car is driveable but will still be out of commission a week or so to get fixed. If so, your insurance co will definitely want an accident report.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:25 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
I would definately call your insurace and start the paperwork. A lot of townships let you file an accident report after the fact just for documentation purposes (and some ins agencies need it)

So, i would look at that.

I cannot stress enough to go through insurance and file a police report. I have had friends get screwed without going this route by someone who was very nice..........

Old 05-09-2008, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
Originally Posted by loudandheard
No, I didn't call the cops. I didn't think that it was necessary. Every one was safe and I didn't want the cop to give any one a ticket. I was at a complete stop and I had slowly been following a bus, plus I had two passengers with me. If I need evidence that I was not at fault, I think I'm covered.
I was in accident (not my fault) years ago where the only witnessess were the passengers in each vehicle. I was informed none would be allowed to testify if the case went to court because they would be biased.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:04 PM

'05 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by loudandheard
I was rear ended around 4 or so today. Nothing major just scraped up my bumper and there is a slight bulge in the bumper by the tail light.

Well, the person that rear ended me was rear ended by a person behind them and I'm assuming caused them to run in to me. So who's insurance should be convering my damage? The person that hit me or the person that hit the person behind me causing them to hit me?
you have a couple choices. 1) you can either use your insurance to fix the car, in which case your insurance will go through intercompany arbitration to collect the money from either of the 2 insurances involved if there is a dispute about liability. 2) wait for liability to be determined and claim from the responsible insurance

liability will hinge on whether the car behind you was stopped or slowing down. if clearly stopped, then it should be entirely the 3rd car's fault. if the 2nd car was just slowing down, then the 3rd car can try to make the argument that the 2nd car was following too closely and is therefore responsible for a % of the damage.

the downside of using your own insurance if having to pay for the deductable up front and waiting for it to be reimbursed later. upside is having your car fixed faster instead of waiting for all parties to complete their investigations.

pm if you have any further questions. i deal with auto accidents all the time.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:06 PM

'05 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Derspeed
I was in accident (not my fault) years ago where the only witnessess were the passengers in each vehicle. I was informed none would be allowed to testify if the case went to court because they would be biased.
i'm sorry but that's complete BS. if you follow that logic, the drivers of the cars would also not be allowed to testify because they have an even bigger reason to be "biased". here's a wild guess...did the other side's insurance adjuster tell you that?