CODE3 Supercharger Pulley/Intake Combo Feedback

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
CODE3 Supercharger Pulley/Intake Combo Feedback

So I got the Code3 Supercharger pulley and Intake combo installed. I don't have any other pulleys, just K&N's,IK20's and resonator delete. I have 19" Brabus Reps which slowed me down a little over the stock wheels, but this combo gave me back what I lost and so much more.

I don't race or drag really, but just wanted a little more easy power, something to keep up with some of the newer cars. I also wanted something that could be easily removed if I had trouble with smog.

Installation of the intake was simple, but was a little difficult cause it's such a tight squeeze getting the much fatter phenolic intake pieces to squeeze past the rear firewall.

The pulley, well I was getting a mid-service oil change, so I had my mechanic install the pulley as it didn't cost much since so little time was involved. I was also afraid I might get the belt tension wrong, so I preferred that he did it.

I'm extremely happy with the modification. It's like getting a new car again. Much more responsive, and it just throws you back in the seat while accelerating now. The rear end really hunkers down and the front end tips up when launching.

The sound:
I'm enjoying it now cause it's new. On the highway at speed, I love the way you can just gas it a little and you hear the whoosh of the intake and the supercharger. But only time will tell. Maybe I'll get sick of it and think it's obtrusive later, but probably not.

Overall, I think it's a very affordable mod, quality is good and I think it's totally worth it. Since I'm on a bit of a budget, I try to calculate price per HP and see if it's worth it to me.

$700/34 RWHP=$20.58 per HP
Plus I think other Mods rate HP at the crank which is even less worthwhile.

P.S. I started this new thread so people can give their feedback and experiences with this mod. rather than searching though pages of off topic rants on the original thread.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32, 2007 E550 4matic
Thank you for the info.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 CLK55
Thanks for the info. You don't have a heat exchanger? How does the car stand to heat now with the Code3 Combo installed? Did you have a chance to run on a hot day?
Old 06-13-2008, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32, 2012 S550
Originally Posted by D_Star
Thanks for the info. You don't have a heat exchanger? How does the car stand to heat now with the Code3 Combo installed? Did you have a chance to run on a hot day?
No heat exchanger yet. The temperatures here in the bay area, especially where I am are very mild. we've had a few days here in the 80's, but that's pretty rare.
That plus I'm not "ON" it WOT all the time, esp. with today's gas prices. I like a little burst now and then for fun. One of my future mods will probably be a heat exchanger though.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:42 AM

07 E550, 02 C32, 91 300E
I've gotta go stalk your car or something haha, I wanna hear it in action.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Just wanted to keep up with this combo and all that have a cranked pullied car with the SC pulley and with or without intake please post review.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
if the sounds its a bit too much.. then you have a few options.

Use electrical tape heavy duty to cover some of the intake and leave a nice square opening.

add 2 second filter.. (Brandon can sell you one if you like) will muffle the sound but will loose some of the gains. However the throttle response will remain, which is the best part of this mod.

last.. you will get used to it and will probably think is not loud enough. At first its very aggressive, but after a while you get used to it.

BTW: Be ready to use your new sound to make oposing cars head's turn and probably think twice. Good Gas saver !!
Old 06-16-2008, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32, 2012 S550
BTW: Be ready to use your new sound to make oposing cars head's turn and probably think twice. Good Gas saver !![/QUOTE]

Funny, I think I already experienced that.

There was a BMW 328i coupe in front of me with his windows all down and he was weaving in and out of traffic. I ended up passing him at a stop light and gave a brief nudge of the throttle and the supercharger whine. After that, he slowed way down and stayed behind me.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32, 2012 S550
Question about ECU Learning?

So I think our ECU is self learning.

Does that mean I should expect a little more performance once the ECU gets used to the pulley/intake combo? or is it pretty immediate?

TIA!
Old 06-16-2008, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 C32, 2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2007 Harley NightRod, 2013 Harley Road Glide Custom
Was there ever a pic of the intake mod? I looked at their site but didn't see a picture of it.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32, 2012 S550
Originally Posted by trbo2nr
Was there ever a pic of the intake mod? I looked at their site but didn't see a picture of it.
I can't seem to attach photos, so I'll just have to post the links:

https://mbworld.org/forums/engine-performance/247986-fs-code3-intake-c32.html

and post # 650 in this page:
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...234573&page=13
Attached Thumbnails CODE3 Supercharger Pulley/Intake Combo Feedback-foam.jpg   CODE3 Supercharger Pulley/Intake Combo Feedback-011.jpg   CODE3 Supercharger Pulley/Intake Combo Feedback-intake-011.jpg  
Old 06-16-2008, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 C32, 2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2007 Harley NightRod, 2013 Harley Road Glide Custom
Originally Posted by Gramma_Benz
I can't seem to attach photos, so I'll just have to post the links:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=247986

and post # 650 in this page:
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...234573&page=13
Nice. Thanks for the pics.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Merc power
Good to see another Bayarea member.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32, 2012 S550
SMOG

Can anyone tell me if I should remove my Code3 pulley combo when I'm about to get my car smogged?

I'd hate to have it classified as a gross polluter and have to take it to special smog stations each time.

TIA!
Old 06-18-2008, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Can anyone tell me if I should remove my Code3 pulley combo when I'm about to get my car smogged?

I'd hate to have it classified as a gross polluter and have to take it to special smog stations each time.

TIA!
The pulley and intake should have zero effect on your smog output. The only other aspect to fear would be the visual inspection. I am positive you have nothing to fear here. Who (especially some smog-jockey) would recognize a smaller pulley or look on the backside of the engine for an added intake? If by chance you got the C32 guru inspecting your car, and he found those mods, why would more air be a cause of gross pollution?
Old 06-18-2008, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32, 2012 S550
Originally Posted by ScottW911
The pulley and intake should have zero effect on your smog output. The only other aspect to fear would be the visual inspection. I am positive you have nothing to fear here. Who (especially some smog-jockey) would recognize a smaller pulley or look on the backside of the engine for an added intake? If by chance you got the C32 guru inspecting your car, and he found those mods, why would more air be a cause of gross pollution?
Awsome!
I don't really know everything they test for or what affects smog output.

One more question, would an ECU tune affect smog output?

Thanks again!
Old 06-18-2008, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Awsome!
I don't really know everything they test for or what affects smog output.

One more question, would an ECU tune affect smog output?

Thanks again!
Maybe a bad one would.

Look, I don't really see that you are putting any undo strain on the emissions here. Last time my car was checked, it was so far under the allowable, I could have sat left a lit stogie in the tailpipe and still passed. You should be fine.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32, 2012 S550
Originally Posted by ScottW911
Maybe a bad one would.

Look, I don't really see that you are putting any undo strain on the emissions here. Last time my car was checked, it was so far under the allowable, I could have sat left a lit stogie in the tailpipe and still passed. You should be fine.
Cool, thanks so much for your input!
Old 06-18-2008, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
i dont think they do the sniffer test on OBDII cars. I heard they just plug the machine into the ecu and long as there no codes it should pass.

i've only smogged OBDI cars. Even with the sniffer test, i had headwork on my integra done and it still passed.

You can also do a pretest as well. The records are not sent back to the state on a pretest.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:57 PM

C32 AMG
Code3 pulley combo with crank pulley

Ok, I have an existing evosport pulley and added the Code3 SC pulley and my experience has not been a good one.

After installing the SC pulley and intake I take the car for drive, with normal driving for a few klms. Then I decide to stick it and the car splutters and engine light comes on. I had 95 octane rated fuel so I thought I'd try 98 octane rating.

Did that the next night (98 fuel), the car splutters less but still does at WOT. So I'm thinking not enough fuel and the car needs a new ECU map. I thought I'd try 100 octane fuel (we have that here in OZ and its $2/litre).

Anyway tried the 100 octane fuel and no splutter but the car doesn't seem faster. Seems like the belt is slipping and is causing it to be sluggish. A couple of days later the engine light comes on again on WOT.

I take the car to get the codes checked and there were 7 mainly relating to misfiring, charge air temp sensor.

i have no doubt this SC pulley works very well as a stand alone (ie no other pulley upgrade) however I've not been able to get it to function properly with another pulley as a combo.

I've taken it off the car for now and I'm looking at getting a smaller belt to see if that helps, then the next step will be to get a "Jerry" tune (which I'll prob do anyway).

any thoughts/suggestions????

BTW the intake is great and love the sound.....
Old 06-19-2008, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by LAZA_C32
Ok, I have an existing evosport pulley and added the Code3 SC pulley and my experience has not been a good one.

After installing the SC pulley and intake I take the car for drive, with normal driving for a few klms. Then I decide to stick it and the car splutters and engine light comes on. I had 95 octane rated fuel so I thought I'd try 98 octane rating.

Did that the next night (98 fuel), the car splutters less but still does at WOT. So I'm thinking not enough fuel and the car needs a new ECU map. I thought I'd try 100 octane fuel (we have that here in OZ and its $2/litre).

Anyway tried the 100 octane fuel and no splutter but the car doesn't seem faster. Seems like the belt is slipping and is causing it to be sluggish. A couple of days later the engine light comes on again on WOT.

I take the car to get the codes checked and there were 7 mainly relating to misfiring, charge air temp sensor.

i have no doubt this SC pulley works very well as a stand alone (ie no other pulley upgrade) however I've not been able to get it to function properly with another pulley as a combo.

I've taken it off the car for now and I'm looking at getting a smaller belt to see if that helps, then the next step will be to get a "Jerry" tune (which I'll prob do anyway).

I feel you definitely will require a retune to sort things out in the ECU so Jerrytune is probably your best bet but will probably have to run on your Evosport pulleys for a week so the ECU can go back to normal operation. Keep in mind a Tune is most likely needed with this combo and I think Brandon mentioned it before...call Jerry or Erick to get there thoughts if you can't reach Brandon.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID

See my posted under Ordered my JerryTune today!!! Your engine is starving for fuel. I can't blame Brandon or Code III, the pulley is doing what its supposed to, i.e. shove more air in there! You need to remap the ECM. My car was starting to do the same thing. Remapping works wonders.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:22 PM

C32 AMG
Tune needed

Yep absolutely agree, ECU tune is needed.

Discussed this with Brandon the issue with the spluttering is related to map sensor volatge and ECU. Seems the map sensor is picking up too much air/boost with the mods as a safety feature. So will be getting the ECU remapped (for more fuel, etc) and I'll ask if Jerry can modify the map sensor voltages so the engine light does not come on.

As an interim fix Brandon suggested removing the intake filter to reduce the amount of boost and air. Almost like sufficating it. I never tried that but did this about doing that.

Will share updates.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:21 AM
M_M

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32 AMG

remove your "intake mod" and reinstall your sc pulley, and you'll be fine. trust me, you were running over-boost.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Agree w/ others, a retune should be on your short-list of "to do" items

Also, you might want to get plugs one stop colder than your current ones, and gap them down slightly. Check with C3P or LET for advice on this, I'm sure they can steer you in the right direction.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CODE3 Supercharger Pulley/Intake Combo Feedback