EBC red stuff brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
EBC red stuff brakes

Okay, after searching for a few weeks, there really aren't anyone out there that makes a performance brake pad for us, other than EBC. I bought their RED stuff, vs their track pad "Yellow" as I only track her twice a year, or so it seems. Anyway, NICE pads, very easy install following the DIY instructions under USEDc32 sticky. Only problem, the sensor they give you is a one wire, and of course we use a two wire. It is the right size, but obviously does not work. Will report back after a few weeks with data from my G-tech.

And yes, I bedded them according to the enclosed instructions. AKA 50 Mph down to 10 Mph ten times and let the brakes cool off overnight.

See yeah

PS: 1/2 hour for both sides, then beer
Old 06-16-2008, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Okay, after searching for a few weeks, there really aren't anyone out there that makes a performance brake pad for us, other than EBC. I bought their RED stuff, vs their track pad "Yellow" as I only track her twice a year, or so it seems. Anyway, NICE pads, very easy install following the DIY instructions under USEDc32 sticky. Only problem, the sensor they give you is a one wire, and of course we use a two wire. It is the right size, but obviously does not work. Will report back after a few weeks with data from my G-tech.

And yes, I bedded them according to the enclosed instructions. AKA 50 Mph down to 10 Mph ten times and let the brakes cool off overnight.

See yeah

Congrats. I've used the EBC Red and now have EBC Yellow. I had intended to do a track session with the Yellows but then bought a track beater. The Yellows have performed just fine as a street pad. More dust than the Reds but otherwise fine.

In some forums, the EBC brand gets dismissed. EBC may not have the racing following of Hawk or Carbotech, but they always worked well for me.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG

See yeah

Congrats. I've used the EBC Red and now have EBC Yellow. I had intended to do a track session with the Yellows but then bought a track beater. The Yellows have performed just fine as a street pad. More dust than the Reds but otherwise fine.

In some forums, the EBC brand gets dismissed. EBC may not have the racing following of Hawk or Carbotech, but they always worked well for me.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:21 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
I tried the Reds (C350 has the same brakes as the C32/C55) and I didn't like them. To each his own. Pagid, Porterfield, and Akebono make pads for the C32/C55.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by e1000
I tried the Reds (C350 has the same brakes as the C32/C55) and I didn't like them. To each his own. Pagid, Porterfield, and Akebono make pads for the C32/C55.
Yes you are correct my friend, they do make pads for our toy. However, NONE of them recomend open tracking with their pads, hence I had to go with EBC. Anyway, why didn't you like them, Noise, Dust, eating rotors

Thanks in advance

See yeah
Old 06-16-2008, 01:32 PM

Location: dayton ohio hopefully it will be some place warm and sunny when i finish med school
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C32 AMG silver & 2003 Lancer Evolution 8 black very moded
Try
Axxis or Centric
Old 06-16-2008, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 Designo 030
Yes you are correct my friend, they do make pads for our toy. However, NONE of them recomend open tracking with their pads, hence I had to go with EBC. Anyway, why didn't you like them, Noise, Dust, eating rotors

Thanks in advance

See yeah
From my limited experience I can tell you that the best pads for the C32 on the track (I have tried 3 sets) are the Axxis Ultimate. The pads are also low dust but noisy when cold.

I tracked my car last month with fresh akebonos and after 2 laps, the car was a mess. They only difference (and probably a big mistake) was going with the OEM brake fluid instead of the Motul.

I'm not happy with the akebonos in general. They are OK for street use but nothing special from the performance point of view.

I've never used EBC though.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
They left hot spots on my rotors. Slightly less grippy than stocks. Low dust, and after bed-in, low noise.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by ///AMG4EVER
From my limited experience I can tell you that the best pads for the C32 on the track (I have tried 3 sets) are the Axxis Ultimate. The pads are also low dust but noisy when cold.

I tracked my car last month with fresh akebonos and after 2 laps, the car was a mess. They only difference (and probably a big mistake) was going with the OEM brake fluid instead of the Motul.

I'm not happy with the akebonos in general. They are OK for street use but nothing special from the performance point of view.

I've never used EBC though.
Thanks AMG4EVER:

Thats what Tirerack informed me too, and why I didn't go with them as they were on my short list. Thanks for confirming that I went with the best option available my friend, IMHO. Sorry to hear that they were that bad on the track.

I'll report back after my next Beaverun day for all.

See yeah
Old 06-17-2008, 07:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5

Thanks in advance

See yeah
While most who use Porterfield choose the R4S high-performance street pad for the C32, I believe they also make the R4 race pad in a fitment for our car... not sure though

I have the Akebono euro ceramics and they're a great street pad (almost zero dust, quiet, good initial bite), but I've never tracked them... maybe later this year.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:16 AM

Location: dayton ohio hopefully it will be some place warm and sunny when i finish med school
2002 C32 AMG silver & 2003 Lancer Evolution 8 black very moded
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
While most who use Porterfield choose the R4S high-performance street pad for the C32, I believe they also make the R4 race pad in a fitment for our car... not sure though

I have the Akebono euro ceramics and they're a great street pad (almost zero dust, quiet, good initial bite), but I've never tracked them... maybe later this year.
make sure you buy new pads in advance so you can change them out after your track adventure. The Akebono is ok for daily driver use. but its too expensive when you can go with something more like Axxis pads that are less expensive and just as good and have some creditability on the track as well.

and in my opinion only i think the R4S pads are WAY TOO HARD on the rotors...
Old 06-18-2008, 03:25 AM

Z06, M3, Mini Cooper S. Sold: C55

Thanks in advance

See yeah
Porterfield doesn't recommend the R4S for track, only street & autocross.
For track use Porterfield makes the R4.

They works great. Higher friction than stock, and take higher tamps. Even with the rotors on 1 side of the car venting the wrong direction & no cooling ducts they held up well.

I even have a front set of the R4 that's only seen 1 event if anyone wants to buy them. Got rid of my C55 and don't need them anymore.