weird symptom day with the car.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 08:20 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
weird symptom day with the car.

excuse the grammar. family reunion right now...gotta type quick.

11am: pulled out of the drive way to head to the post office. put it in drive steps on the gas and nothing. no throttle response at all. pulled to the side and restarted the car and went back to normal.

12:30pm: got to downtown LA with no issue for taking aunt/uncle to take care of some visa thing for taiwan for their daughter. no issue when leaving the place. throttle went dead again just before getting on the freeway. did a restart and it went back to normal for a bit and dead again. pulled off to the side of the road again, shut the car off, and turned it back on, but now the check engine light came on and felt like the car lost all power while throttle is working again.

1:30pm: got home, shut the car off, popped the hood and found "water" leak next to the ESP and a black pump looking thing behind the power steering. (having tried to ID what that black thing is yet). yes, it's water. i touched it and smelled it.

1:35pm: thought I try to restart the car and did. check engine light went away and I shut off the car again. all the possibility faults going through my mind and decide to check the oil level. showed 1qt needed (first time ever in 6 yrs it's telling me i need to add oil in between 5k miles oil change). added a 1qt of my mobil1 0w-40 left overs (good thing I have left overs) and the oil lvl checked 'ok'.

1:40pm: started taking airbox apart to check for valve cover leak and there are some signs of leak on the driver side valve cover gasket. checked all other fluid level and they were all normal.

1:50pm: restarted the car again. no check engine light.

haven't driven it again yet since friggin family from dad's side are all here. I'm lost on what happened today. absolutely puzzled.

some possibility I came up with.

1. throttle position sensor. could be the pedal sensor or the throttle sensor next to the TB. BUT do either of these create check engine light error?

2. low oil level creating check engine light? and turn the car into limp mode?

3. CM30 going bad? bad cooler pump shouldn't create check engine light and it wasn't losing power once the car restarted with throttle act normally.

4. O2 sensor? I do have a leak recently after the header was put in. haven't got time to fix that leak yet (possible leak at where the collector meets the down pipe)

gonna have the error code read tomorrow or wednesday.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:22 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
#2 !!!

Throw a 1/2 - 1 quart of oil in and see if it goes away. Check the oil level first using the dash.

Originally Posted by FrankW
excuse the grammar. family reunion right now...gotta type quick.

11am: pulled out of the drive way to head to the post office. put it in drive steps on the gas and nothing. no throttle response at all. pulled to the side and restarted the car and went back to normal.

12:30pm: got to downtown LA with no issue for taking aunt/uncle to take care of some visa thing for taiwan for their daughter. no issue when leaving the place. throttle went dead again just before getting on the freeway. did a restart and it went back to normal for a bit and dead again. pulled off to the side of the road again, shut the car off, and turned it back on, but now the check engine light came on and felt like the car lost all power while throttle is working again.

1:30pm: got home, shut the car off, popped the hood and found "water" leak next to the ESP and a black pump looking thing behind the power steering. (having tried to ID what that black thing is yet). yes, it's water. i touched it and smelled it.

1:35pm: thought I try to restart the car and did. check engine light went away and I shut off the car again. all the possibility faults going through my mind and decide to check the oil level. showed 1qt needed (first time ever in 6 yrs it's telling me i need to add oil in between 5k miles oil change). added a 1qt of my mobil1 0w-40 left overs (good thing I have left overs) and the oil lvl checked 'ok'.

1:40pm: started taking airbox apart to check for valve cover leak and there are some signs of leak on the driver side valve cover gasket. checked all other fluid level and they were all normal.

1:50pm: restarted the car again. no check engine light.

haven't driven it again yet since friggin family from dad's side are all here. I'm lost on what happened today. absolutely puzzled.

some possibility I came up with.

1. throttle position sensor. could be the pedal sensor or the throttle sensor next to the TB. BUT do either of these create check engine light error?

2. low oil level creating check engine light? and turn the car into limp mode?

3. CM30 going bad? bad cooler pump shouldn't create check engine light and it wasn't losing power once the car restarted with throttle act normally.

4. O2 sensor? I do have a leak recently after the header was put in. haven't got time to fix that leak yet (possible leak at where the collector meets the down pipe)

gonna have the error code read tomorrow or wednesday.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Please let us know what you find
Old 07-21-2008, 09:56 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
so I just went on two quick run from the "we still need this and that for dinner" request. so far so good after adding little less than a qt of oil (all i have left). will update after getting the error code pulled out probably wednesday.

also found the front most spark plug was loose on the driver side. pushed it back in. didn't felt like miss fired, but maybe it was and caused oil consumption?

anywayz...it's 3/4" thick rib eye steak for dinner....after dad and uncle comes back refilling the propane tank.

jerry, car looking good wit those mono-lite when did you get'em.

Last edited by FrankW; 07-21-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Merc power
I experienced the same thing about 6 months ago... i pm u on what i fix to slove the (*&^%$ problem . HOLD that item for me man

Last edited by 1qikctr; 07-21-2008 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 ///AMG
Weird you bring up a "water" leak. I noticed on the driveway today that there was a puddle of what appeared to be water. I checked it throughly. I swear it was water. Ran around town a bit and checked it again while parked in a different place. Same thing. Where's the water coming out of? Something to do with the A/C?
Old 07-22-2008, 01:49 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by Chazz
Weird you bring up a "water" leak. I noticed on the driveway today that there was a puddle of what appeared to be water. I checked it throughly. I swear it was water. Ran around town a bit and checked it again while parked in a different place. Same thing. Where's the water coming out of? Something to do with the A/C?
a/c will leak water like any other cars. it's condensation actually.

the leak i saw today wasn't from a/c. it didn't leak again when the two times i took it out.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:22 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
ok...the crap went from weird to totally weird.

after 3 days of "normality" it acted again today except this time along with the check engine light the ABS error also came on which locks the transmission in 1st and limp. the check engine and the ABS light came on at the same time at I was heavy on the throttle while it was about to shift into second.

aside from ABS causing the ESP and BAS error I also got a brake lining wear error which is highly unlikely since I still have 50% on the front pads and 80% at least on the rear. (checked the 4 fuse for ABS and they're all fine) restart the car after checking the fuse for ABS the error went away.

after the check engine light came on the speedo = not working, digital speedo = not working, trip computer also reset itself and not working. check engine light still on.

at this point I'm completely clueless.

anyone...anyone at all feel free to shed some light on this

p.s. all these never happened before I got the cluster replaced by the dealership. it leads me to suspect that the retarded techs at dealer messed something up.

Last edited by FrankW; 07-26-2008 at 12:25 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 C55
ok...the crap went from weird to totally weird.

after 3 days of "normality" it acted again today... all these never happened before I got the cluster replaced by the dealership. it leads me to suspect that the retarded techs at dealer messed something up.
Problem identified. Now go get the dealer to fix it.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Merc power
yo, have you check what the engine code is ? i thought we had the same problem check ur CEL code asap.

Last edited by 1qikctr; 07-26-2008 at 12:53 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:55 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by 1qikctr
yo, have you check what the engine code is ? i thought we had the same problem check ur CEL code asap.
meeting up with someone that can pull out the code tomorrow noon-ish. I'll post up the codes etc when I know more. right now it's
Old 07-26-2008, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Merc power
keep us posted.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:43 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
just pulled the codes with the check engine light on.

P0120 TPS/pedal A circuit malfunction
P0720 output speed sensor malfunction
P0600 serial comm link malfunction

the first two I can guess they're related, but the third one I have no clue what it is. gonna do some search on technical forum to see if there are some answers perhaps.

no error from ABS seen from the reader used. I guess I'll leave that to dealer to find out what's going on. I'm guessing it could be one of the brake lining sensor simply went bad.

at least the first two problem was one of the thing I suspected it that went wrong.

the check engine light mysteriously disappear after the code was read. we didn't try to reset the CEL at all.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Merc power

these are the same code i had toooo. from what i remeber they got me a new pedal... and some how the speed sensor reset by itself if you can let me know how much that part cost the p0720.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:11 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
I think the P0720 might be triggered by the P0120, so only replacing the pedal was needed. I need to remind them monday that don't throw away my old pedal because I have the Carlsson pedals on it.

I searched around the tech bulleten thread on w203 and all the forum, but not having luck finding any info. I did find info on benzworld's w208 forum, but no resolution was posted and the thread is about a year old. hopefully the one that had that problem would return my post up there. or i'll just have to wait and find out from the dealership.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Merc power

from what i know through the shop, sensor might be expose to heat or oil, thus cost the malfunction, but they did not replace my b/c they say it was still good after clearing up all the codes etc... I thought th dead pedal as cost by my new verison of sprinitbooster only time can tell (*&^%$#$ hope u get it resolved ASAP.

Last edited by 1qikctr; 07-27-2008 at 03:18 AM.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
just pulled the codes with the check engine light on.

P0600 serial comm link malfunction

the first two I can guess they're related, but the third one I have no clue what it is. gonna do some search on technical forum to see if there are some answers perhaps.

no error from ABS seen from the reader used. I guess I'll leave that to dealer to find out what's going on. I'm guessing it could be one of the brake lining sensor simply went bad.

at least the first two problem was one of the thing I suspected it that went wrong.

the check engine light mysteriously disappear after the code was read. we didn't try to reset the CEL at all.
Frank,

Output speed sensor is the N3 RPM sensor on the transmission. I think the sensors are on the conductor plate under the valve body. You might want to check the transmission wiring harness for oil contamination first. Also check the plug connections on the TCM module for oil contamination. I think you should check the side of your 722.6 transmisson for a leaking o ring. Josh found it leaking on mine and fixed it avoiding any tranny oil contamination issues. This leaky o ring on the transmission is very common on these cars.

There is a link to a star bulletin on how to fix the leaky o ring on this page. Scroll down past the distracting pictures and you should see the link to the pdf file.

I just used my DAS to clear the codes on my car today. Had an issue with the water pump.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:36 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by pshek
Frank,

Output speed sensor is the N3 RPM sensor on the transmission. I think the sensors are on the conductor plate under the valve body. You might want to check the transmission wiring harness for oil contamination first. Also check the plug connections on the TCM module for oil contamination. I think you should check the side of your 722.6 transmisson for a leaking o ring. Josh found it leaking on mine and fixed it avoiding any tranny oil contamination issues. This leaky o ring on the transmission is very common on these cars.

There is a link to a star bulletin on how to fix the leaky o ring on this page. Scroll down past the distracting pictures and you should see the link to the pdf file.

I just used my DAS to clear the codes on my car today. Had an issue with the water pump.
thanks peter

i'll have dealer check it out monday. extended warranty FTW!
Old 07-29-2008, 01:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 C32 1987 190E 2.3 334K miles and going
Lightbulb

I had BAS assist prompt show up. When this shows up, the cruise control goes away. Solution: Brake switch replaced under brake pedal. Part cost: $90.00.
Does this help?
Old 07-29-2008, 02:45 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by 60n5pt1
I had BAS assist prompt show up. When this shows up, the cruise control goes away. Solution: Brake switch replaced under brake pedal. Part cost: $90.00.
Does this help?
car's at the dealership now. I was told by my advisor that the ABS/brake wear was probably triggered by the P0720 output speed sensor malfunction. he's gonna give me a call tomorrow.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:48 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
oh my...this distracting picture is awesome

Old 08-03-2008, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Merc power
hhahahahaha i remeber seeing this on some one from e46 fanatics.com
Old 08-12-2008, 04:11 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
motherFARK!!

1 day after coming back from SoCal Euro the car has the same exact problem as before...........................just when I was about to take it to VRP to fix the exhaust leak.

it's back to the dealership again...
Old 08-12-2008, 09:21 AM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Sorry bud!!

Hope all is well soon...
Old 08-12-2008, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Merc power
what did the dealer fix for you so far ?? keep us posted man.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: weird symptom day with the car.