C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Possible Alternator problem..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 C32, G60 Corrado
Possible Alternator problem..

Hope all is well with everyone. Couple of days a go I drove the C32 after it had been sitting for 7 days. The red Alternator/Battery warning came up after a hard acceleration. Thinking that perhaps the Battery is low and driving it would charge it up, I kept on driving the rest of the day. Well the classic symptoms starting happening and finally the car died and had to take tow it home.

I have read all the threads related to alternator failure both C32 related and others. From the looks of it I have a bad alternator, however there are also mentions of Voltage Regulator being bad. All the C32 related threads however ended up with changing the alternator and there was no mention of voltage regulator being change or bad. I think there was a E55 thread that ended up being just the regulator.

My question is: Is there any way to DDX between a voltage regulator failure and alternator failure? And how easy is it to change the regulator? I believe it is attached to the alternator at the back.

Thanks to FairfaxC32's thread I am going to attempt to change the alternator myself if it comes to it. I have found a new Valeo unit at alleuropeanautoparts.com for $285 shipped. (The stealership wants $985 w/core!!) However, it doesn't come with the Voltage Regulator which seems strange. The dealer has the regulator for $145.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:24 PM

02 C32, G60 Corrado
Some backround info about the car:
-the battery is less than a year old
-the seat modules have been replaced
-the car sat for 2-3 weeks couple of months back it had no problems starting up

Oh I haven't had the chance to check the Voltage reading using the climate control display yet.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W203 C230SS
not sure about mercedes- but i do know that in some cars- the voltage reg. is part of the alternator and they are replaced together. is it possible that's the case here?
Old 07-31-2008, 03:30 PM

02 C32, G60 Corrado
That is what I thought as well.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by bumpnzx3
not sure about mercedes- but i do know that in some cars- the voltage reg. is part of the alternator and they are replaced together. is it possible that's the case here?
+1

When my alternator went out a while back, the tech thought it might be the voltage reg too. Unfortunately, the alternator specific to the C32 does not have a replacable VR. It is integrated into the alternator. Either way, you will need to pony up for the entire unit.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:25 PM

silver 2002 c32 amg
my alternator went bad about 18 months ago

after being told the price for a replacement from the dealer

I took it to a trusted auto electrician instead,
he replaced it with a Bosch equivalent for about a 1/3 of the cost
Old 07-31-2008, 04:40 PM

02 C32, G60 Corrado
Thanks guys. I am just bit confused since when I called the website above and asked if the voltage regulator is part of the alternator they said no and that I have to buy it seperatly. Then when I called the dealer they said they have a voltage regulator for the car seperatly at $145??? I am going to call around some more that website might have the wrong info. But, how come the dealer sales the voltage regulator seperatly..
Old 07-31-2008, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by SUPR C
Thanks guys. I am just bit confused since when I called the website above and asked if the voltage regulator is part of the alternator they said no and that I have to buy it seperatly. Then when I called the dealer they said they have a voltage regulator for the car seperatly at $145??? I am going to call around some more that website might have the wrong info. But, how come the dealer sales the voltage regulator seperatly..
As I said, my tech thought the same thing as the standard W203 does allow for a separate VR. When he ran the part number through the system, he found that the less expensive Bosch would not work for my C32 and I would need a very uncommon Valeo alternator. This guy is an old frind of my Father-in-law's and a well respected independent tech. I doubt he would have screwed with me. Besides, he now had to send the other unit back to the parts guys, costing him time and money.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:11 PM

02 C32, G60 Corrado
Thanks Scott,

I did call a local parts place they said the same thing that the VR is part of the alternator. The guys at the dealer are absolutly clueless!! I am going to double check with that website again and just order the Valeo from them as they had the best price.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:16 PM

02 C32, G60 Corrado
For those who have installed the alternator them selfs, how hard is it? I am going to just follow FairfaxC32's thread. Is there a good access from underneath the car?
Old 07-31-2008, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Thanks Scott,

I did call a local parts place they said the same thing that the VR is part of the alternator. The guys at the dealer are absolutly clueless!! I am going to double check with that website again and just order the Valeo from them as they had the best price.
Good luck to you.

I had a quote of over $1600 from the dealer. My guy did the sha-bang for about $650. Oh yeah, that also included a new belt.

Last edited by ScottW911; 07-31-2008 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:36 PM

02 C32, G60 Corrado
Just ordered a new Valeo one from alleuropeanautoparts.com for $284 shipped. And it does include the VR apparently the description was wrong. Hopefully, I am going to get it by Tue or Web next week. I am going to take out the old one this weekend.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
And apparently Mercedes put different alternators on all the different models, so the C32 alternator is very specific and very hard to find a re-manufactured one.

You may be able to find someone local who can remanufacture it for you, but you will also have a longer down time.

Mine went out and I think failed prematurely as I had a bad seat module that kept draining my battery and thus overtaxing my alternator.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:52 PM

02 C32, G60 Corrado
I just hope the one I ordered is not a wrong one...
Old 07-31-2008, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Make sure the alternator you bought for the C32 has an 8 rib pulley.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:16 PM

02 C32, G60 Corrado
As far as I know it doesn't come with a Pulley. I have to use the one that is on the old alternator.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:21 AM

02 C32, G60 Corrado
Guys, Just a little update on the alternator problem I am having. Well finally after over a month I got a chance to work on the car today. As I mentioned I did get a Valeo unit from the website I mentioned. Taking the old one was a b**th, just a lot on work and not much space. You do have to take a lot of stuff out to get the alternator out. FairfaxC32 DIY is accurate. Thanks.

Well, AFTER putting the new one in I notice that the pully doesn't not have the 8 ribs, it has 6. So my question should I just put the pully from the old unit on the new one? Or is it just the wrong alternator. Comparing the two it looks exactly the same except the pully. I appreciate any help.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 gone, 06 CLS55, 16 Tesla X
Guys, Just a little update on the alternator problem I am having. Well finally after over a month I got a chance to work on the car today. As I mentioned I did get a Valeo unit from the website I mentioned. Taking the old one was a b**th, just a lot on work and not much space. You do have to take a lot of stuff out to get the alternator out. FairfaxC32 DIY is accurate. Thanks.

Well, AFTER putting the new one in I notice that the pully doesn't not have the 8 ribs, it has 6. So my question should I just put the pully from the old unit on the new one? Or is it just the wrong alternator. Comparing the two it looks exactly the same except the pully. I appreciate any help.
Assuming everything is the same from the outlook and label on the alternator, the pulley side (diagonal) is the same, and assuming that you could not return the electrical part, I think you should try it. One part may be used for different application. I believe C32 and C320 share many many parts.

Good luck and please let us know the result
Old 09-08-2008, 02:33 PM

02 C32, G60 Corrado
Well I just talked to alleuropeanautoparts.com, they did send me the wrong alternator for a C320, eventhough I asked numerous times to make sure they know I have a C32. However the guy was very nice is overnighting another one for my car which I should have by tomorrow . It is the same price, I guess the only difference is the pulley. I'll keep you guys up to date.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:31 PM

02 C32, G60 Corrado
OK they just called me from the parts place again saying that the alternator I recieved is the only one listed for my car. They gave me the option to return it, I am going to do some more research, I might try swaping the pulleys since they look exactly alike.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:08 AM

W211 E55 AMG Kompressor
Help!!!!
Hello everyone, can someone please provide some feedback on this tread, last night while idling my E55 in the garage I smelled a faint burning scent, popped the hood and could not find nor describe the source of this burning smell, however, after checking the forum on the matter it's come to my attention that the alternator/voltage regulator could be on it's way out, convienience message comes on and off now so i know there is low voltage (11.1v) sometimes a bit less, here's my question,,, if, it is the regulator thats bad, would I still get the burning smell???? Or is the burning smell a clear sign that the alternator itself is toasted internally....feedback please!!!!!!!