C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Dropped benz

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 02:32 AM
I1 ULOOZ

Dropped benz

Im thinking of lowering my c32, anybody have pics of dropped w203??

Last edited by I1 ULOOZ; 01-03-2003 at 02:34 AM.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:37 AM
I1 ULOOZ

heres what my car looks like now>
Old 01-03-2003, 02:38 AM
I1 ULOOZ

and another
Old 01-03-2003, 10:25 AM
jfo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lowering Rear for $3

Before you spend hundreds on special springs to lower the car, see what $3 of sand will do. I always felt the ride height of the rear was much higher than the front, compared with the S class. If you have ever loaded heavy luggage in the trunk, you have noticed that there is a good 1/2 to 1 inch that the rear can be lowered to make it look level with the front. Of course, you could just carry the luggage around all the time. But a cheap alternative is to buy 50 lbs of sand. In order to disperse the sand to make for trunk space, buy a bunch of zip lock quart bags. Fill each of them with this sand. Then load the bags in all the available space in the spare tire area. Each bag is flexible so as to fit as needed. You can add as few or many as you wish, but I found that 50 lbs is just right to level out the rear ride height with the front.
Old 01-03-2003, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
JFO,

That does not make any sense, putting sand in the trunk. Why add 50 pounds of useless wieght to the car. $250 for springs on a $55000 car is nothing. Why not just remove the supercharger and toss it in the trunk, thats about 50 pounds.
Old 01-03-2003, 12:18 PM
Almost a Member!

Bicycle
Re: Lowering Rear for $3

Originally posted by jfo
Before you spend hundreds on special springs to lower the car, see what $3 of sand will do. I always felt the ride height of the rear was much higher than the front, compared with the S class. If you have ever loaded heavy luggage in the trunk, you have noticed that there is a good 1/2 to 1 inch that the rear can be lowered to make it look level with the front. Of course, you could just carry the luggage around all the time. But a cheap alternative is to buy 50 lbs of sand. In order to disperse the sand to make for trunk space, buy a bunch of zip lock quart bags. Fill each of them with this sand. Then load the bags in all the available space in the spare tire area. Each bag is flexible so as to fit as needed. You can add as few or many as you wish, but I found that 50 lbs is just right to level out the rear ride height with the front.
I will ignore this one for many reasons. You did manage to get a laugh from me though.
Old 01-03-2003, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C200K (w204)
changing the rear spring pad will do the same
Old 01-03-2003, 06:27 PM
krm

adding sandbags is an old trick for adding weight to pickup trucks since they are especially front heavy. I would highly advise against that idea for the C32 since you don't want to compromise performance with the added weight.
Old 01-03-2003, 09:14 PM
I1 ULOOZ

Originally posted by krm
adding sandbags is an old trick for adding weight to pickup trucks since they are especially front heavy. I would highly advise against that idea for the C32 since you don't want to compromise performance with the added weight.
Ya, I dont think the sand bag idea will work!~
Old 01-03-2003, 09:17 PM
I1 ULOOZ

Originally posted by Zeppelin
JFO,

That does not make any sense, putting sand in the trunk. Why add 50 pounds of useless wieght to the car. $250 for springs on a $55000 car is nothing. Why not just remove the supercharger and toss it in the trunk, thats about 50 pounds.
What kind of springs do you prefer, and approximately how much would it cost for the instalation? Also what do you think about coil overs?
Old 01-04-2003, 08:55 AM

2002 C32 AMG Orion Blue Charcoal/Blue
I would highly recommend the RENNtech springs if you are looking to improve handling as well as improve the looks of your car. The RENNtech springs are $525 dollars and much more expensive than other brands but customer satisfaction with the product on this board is very high.

Including a four wheel alignment with more negative camber dialed in, I paid about $700 dollars for the installation in the Northern VA/Washington, DC area.

There is a pictures of my car, some before and some after the modifications, in the picture thread. Please note you can adjust the rear ride height with the different Mercedes spring pads. I left my stock ones on and I suspect they are the thicker ones because I have the ski sack option. It has a nice raked look but if you want it lower in the back get the thinnest spring pad from Mercedes before you have your installation done.

Good luck!
Old 01-04-2003, 06:01 PM
I1 ULOOZ

Originally posted by Carl AMG
I would highly recommend the RENNtech springs if you are looking to improve handling as well as improve the looks of your car. The RENNtech springs are $525 dollars and much more expensive than other brands but customer satisfaction with the product on this board is very high.

Including a four wheel alignment with more negative camber dialed in, I paid about $700 dollars for the installation in the Northern VA/Washington, DC area.

There is a pictures of my car, some before and some after the modifications, in the picture thread. Please note you can adjust the rear ride height with the different Mercedes spring pads. I left my stock ones on and I suspect they are the thicker ones because I have the ski sack option. It has a nice raked look but if you want it lower in the back get the thinnest spring pad from Mercedes before you have your installation done.

Good luck!
Your car looks great, the HUGE ugly gap Disappeared! Do you happen to have any more pics of your car besides this one??

Last edited by I1 ULOOZ; 01-04-2003 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-04-2003, 07:05 PM

02 C32AMG

Isn't it a little bit too much for the installation?
Old 01-05-2003, 05:05 PM

I don't think the labor charges are too far off base considering that you do need a four wheel alignment when you install new springs. The shop I chose to do the work does a lot of performance work on high end cars and I don't think their customers are too price sensitive. In other words, they probably aren't the cheapest place around but I wanted the work done properly.

I didn't get a chance to shop around for quotes on the job. If you're concerned about the labr charges I suggest you call around and make sure to let them know you will need the alignment done. I also had no idea what to expect because I couldn't get any feedback from any of the boards. One of the canadian posters has since had RENNtech's installed and, translated back to US dollars, his labor was a little less but not a whole lot.

I have pics before the drop on the board here and not a lot with drop but here is another that gives you a good look at the ride height (but has a nasty shadow).
Old 01-06-2003, 12:34 AM
I1 ULOOZ

I don't think the labor charges are too far off base considering that you do need a four wheel alignment when you install new springs. The shop I chose to do the work does a lot of performance work on high end cars and I don't think their customers are too price sensitive. In other words, they probably aren't the cheapest place around but I wanted the work done properly.

I didn't get a chance to shop around for quotes on the job. If you're concerned about the labr charges I suggest you call around and make sure to let them know you will need the alignment done. I also had no idea what to expect because I couldn't get any feedback from any of the boards. One of the canadian posters has since had RENNtech's installed and, translated back to US dollars, his labor was a little less but not a whole lot.

I have pics before the drop on the board here and not a lot with drop but here is another that gives you a good look at the ride height (but has a nasty shadow).

Thanks for the info, its very helpful! Are you planning on getting wheels for your beast?
Old 01-07-2003, 01:01 AM

C32 AMG
Mine is slammed, well not really its 1.5'' lower in the front and 1'' in the back. I used the H&R's. Installed for 350. Much better deal than the renntechs.
here is a picture

not the best quality, but you can see.
Old 01-07-2003, 02:45 AM
I1 ULOOZ

Originally posted by AMGDood
Mine is slammed, well not really its 1.5'' lower in the front and 1'' in the back. I used the H&R's. Installed for 350. Much better deal than the renntechs.
here is a picture

not the best quality, but you can see.

For some reason it wont show the picture???
Old 01-07-2003, 03:50 AM
Out Of Control!!

After testing various suspension setups on our C32 as well as customers' cars, we've decided that the H&R coilovers offer the best in looks and performance. For $1349, you get a matched set of springs and struts, and the ability to adjsut the height to your preference. Vadim's car handles awesome with the coilovers and our sway bars ($549), and looks much more agressive with its lower stance.

Thanks,
Ben
Old 01-07-2003, 12:57 PM
I1 ULOOZ

What would be the approximate instalation costs for the h&r coil overs?
Old 01-07-2003, 06:33 PM

If you were primarily going for looks and didn't intend to track your car don't you think springs are a better and cheaper option than coil overs?
Old 01-07-2003, 09:25 PM
Almost a Member!

Mercedes C32
Here you go

Last edited by amgc32; 01-07-2003 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-08-2003, 01:05 AM

C32 AMG
i just busted a nut. I want your car.
Old 01-08-2003, 01:06 AM
I1 ULOOZ

Originally posted by amgc32
Here you go

sweet set up, now thats with the h&r cup kit right?
Old 01-08-2003, 01:32 AM
Out Of Control!!

If you were primarily going for looks and didn't intend to track your car don't you think springs are a better and cheaper option than coil overs?
No, the stock shocks are valved to work with the stock springs. They will not dampen as effectively as an aftermarket shock, especially one designed for the spring as the coiloivers are. Eventually, the stock shocks will wear out, as Vadim's did in only a few months.
Old 01-08-2003, 01:33 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally posted by I1 ULOOZ
What would be the approximate instalation costs for the h&r coil overs?
We charge by the book, which is 6 hours of labor (@ $85 per hour) including an alignment.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dropped benz