Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Low Coolant Level, Need Clarification

Hey guys

I was driving home late last night and got the "Low Coolant" notification.

When I got home, I looked it up on the forum. I read about the different radiators and IC leaking and the glycol tests and tranny contamination. My warranty just went up on Sept 29 and right now, I am not quite sure what to do. After reading all the threads on this, I am still a little confused and would appreciate some elucidation as I am not automotively and mechanically inclined.

a) If I need to add more coolant for the time being, is it the tank on the left side of the engine bay with the black cover?

b) My car is currently hot and I don't want to open it yet because it warns me not to if it is hot. Is there a way I can tell by looking when I open it up that the level is low?

c) If I do have a low level of coolant, do I need to replace the IC? Or can I just replace the radiator (obviously with a Behr one)?

d) If I test positive for the glycol test, does this automatically mean that I need to get my tranny replaced? Or will replacing my radiator or IC resolve this?

I apologize if my questions don't make sense. I am a bit confused.

Thanks
Old 10-05-2008, 07:09 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by jturkel
Hey guys

I was driving home late last night and got the "Low Coolant" notification.

When I got home, I looked it up on the forum. I read about the different radiators and IC leaking and the glycol tests and tranny contamination. My warranty just went up on Sept 29 and right now, I am not quite sure what to do. After reading all the threads on this, I am still a little confused and would appreciate some elucidation as I am not automotively and mechanically inclined.

a) If I need to add more coolant for the time being, is it the tank on the left side of the engine bay with the black cover?

b) My car is currently hot and I don't want to open it yet because it warns me not to if it is hot. Is there a way I can tell by looking when I open it up that the level is low?

c) If I do have a low level of coolant, do I need to replace the IC? Or can I just replace the radiator (obviously with a Behr one)?

d) If I test positive for the glycol test, does this automatically mean that I need to get my tranny replaced? Or will replacing my radiator or IC resolve this?

I apologize if my questions don't make sense. I am a bit confused.

Thanks
Open the tank on the left side with the black cap when the engine is somewhat cool. Look inside, it should be pretty full. If not, go to mercedes and get a gallon of fluid, and start filling till that tank is almost full.

If the problem comes back, then start researching the other options. The car should be fine...
Old 10-05-2008, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
...I apologize if my questions don't make sense. I am a bit confused.
Not at all. That’s why our forum exists.

a) Yes.

b) Not really. Wait until everything has cooled down, and then top it up with distilled water. Take note of how much is necessary to raise the fluid level to just below the bottom of the filler neck. That could be all that’s necessary to extinguish the light for the foreseeable future.

c) Discounting its minuscule normal evaporation, there are a few places from which coolant can be consumed or escape; eternal hoses or fittings, heater core, intercooler core, heat exchanger, or the radiator. Assuming there is no evidence of it leaking externally, we’ll then have to delve deeper. If the intercooler core is leaking, there will be evidence of it in the intake tract:

images credit amgstyle

If the integral ATF cooler in the radiator has been breached, then the transmission fluid level will have risen accordingly. Of course, a glycol contamination test will reveal the same condition.

d) No, not if it’s been caught in time. My defective Valeo was replaced before any catastrophic transmission damage occurred. A DIY with what’s involved. If that’s indeed the cause, and you go that route, you’re welcome to borrow my requisite specialty tools.

My intercooler core has just recently started leaking. I’ve been topping up the reservoir with a few ounces a week until time and funds permit its replacement. DIY to follow…

Such challenges are merely another one of the pitfalls of owning a highly-strung supercharged machine. I’ve come to take ‘em in stride. Good luck.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:14 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
great pics and info....

Couldnt agree more...
Old 10-05-2008, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
what is a reasonable amount of distilled water to add to just below the filler neck? mine appears to be a bit low, though i havent added distilled water yet to determine how much is missing. if a lot is missing, can that denote some kind of leak or a major problem? or perhaps im genuinely just running low b/c i cant recall the last time coolant has been added or changed?
Old 10-05-2008, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RENNtech C32 AMG
you may as well do a flush of the coolant just for the sake of its age/mi for AZ climate and keep an eye on it to see it it still leaks. Go to the dealer and have them do the glycol contamination test. I'll fill till it wont take more. Just use something that shows the ounces on the side so you can keep track of how fast its loosing the fluid. It may take a little more after starting the car and warming up. Also be sure to check the windshield washer fluid level. Its on the right side with a little pic of a windshield with water spraying up. If the fluid is low in there, it will give the same error code too.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Old 10-06-2008, 04:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
hmm.....added about a quart....i'll see how far this takes me.....can i just fill the windshield reservoir with distilled water too?
Old 10-06-2008, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 Designo 030
hmm.....added about a quart....i'll see how far this takes me.....can i just fill the windshield reservoir with distilled water too?
Yes, you can do that, no problem.

Also, keep in mind that sometimes, the low coolant warning light comes off simultaneously with a low washer fluid level light.

Keep us updated if the warning comes back.