C32 with secondary cats removed passes CA smog test

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
C32 with secondary cats removed passes CA smog test

Just wanted to let any of you who are contemplating removing the C32 secondary cats that, while the removal of the secondaries is illegal in California, a C32 with the secondaries removed will pass California smog test with no problem. I am not speaking from personal experience, of course. However, I was provided this information by a 100% reliable source.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Vomit
Just wanted to let any of you who are contemplating removing the C32 secondary cats that, while the removal of the secondaries is illegal in California, a C32 with the secondaries removed will pass California smog test with no problem. I am not speaking from personal experience, of course. However, I was provided this information by a 100% reliable source.
If they test the same way as NJ, then they plug into the OBDII port. The second set of O2 sensors (the one's that monitor pollution control) are located directly after the first set of cats. The secondary cats are not monitored by the ECU in any way. The new smog tests use the ECU itself to give them the info they need (which I believe is basically a pass or fail status). They used to plug an instrument into the tailpipe and actually analyze the exhaust gasses. Now that all cars ('96 and up) have to conform not only to certain pollution standards, but also specific on board monitoring and control standards, they just trust the ECU to be able to accurately monitor emissions.

B.T.W. if your state uses the OBDII test, you can also remove your front cats and pass (assuming they don't look under the car) as long as you can trick your ECU into believing nothing is wrong. This can be achieved with MIL eliminators.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by Eleventeen
...They used to plug an instrument into the tailpipe and actually analyze the exhaust gasses...
Some states still do.

before =

after =
Old 10-11-2008, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Yup, they snaked a tube up the exhaust, and it still came out clean. In fact, the tester commented that the car was running extemely cleanly I have a theory that the second set of cats (in addition to the resonator) is mainly for noise reduction, not air cleanliness.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:37 PM

05 C55
Originally Posted by Eleventeen
If they test the same way as NJ, then they plug into the OBDII port. The second set of O2 sensors (the one's that monitor pollution control) are located directly after the first set of cats. The secondary cats are not monitored by the ECU in any way. The new smog tests use the ECU itself to give them the info they need (which I believe is basically a pass or fail status). They used to plug an instrument into the tailpipe and actually analyze the exhaust gasses. Now that all cars ('96 and up) have to conform not only to certain pollution standards, but also specific on board monitoring and control standards, they just trust the ECU to be able to accurately monitor emissions.

B.T.W. if your state uses the OBDII test, you can also remove your front cats and pass (assuming they don't look under the car) as long as you can trick your ECU into believing nothing is wrong. This can be achieved with MIL eliminators.
Do we still have a visual inspection? Id like to remove mine and do an xpipe with duals, but i dont need the hassle of searching for someone to pass me. im sure i could just punch them out and leave the shells, but thats not exactly what i was looking for.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Merc power
Originally Posted by Vomit
Yup, they snaked a tube up the exhaust, and it still came out clean. In fact, the tester commented that the car was running extemely cleanly I have a theory that the second set of cats (in addition to the resonator) is mainly for noise reduction, not air cleanliness.
Its not a theory, its a fact. I seem in person c32 with 2nd cats removed passed smog * the car sounds a bit too loud for my taste.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:38 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by mkonei
Do we still have a visual inspection? Id like to remove mine and do an xpipe with duals, but i dont need the hassle of searching for someone to pass me. im sure i could just punch them out and leave the shells, but thats not exactly what i was looking for.
The last couple of times I've gone, I haven't noticed them looking under the car. They used to walk around the car with that mirror to see underneath, but it's hard to see what the technician is doing anymore, since you now have to stand in that stupid waiting booth while they test your car (at the Deptford facility, anyway).
Old 10-11-2008, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
They never looked under my friend's car, and the whole thing was above-board (no wink wink).