***Code Three Performance C32 Intercooler Reservoir Group Buy***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 04:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
c32 amg
Smile

Originally Posted by Code3 Performance
The tank gets warm, and thats about it. I can do 20 minutes of hard testing, pop the lid open, and drop my hand in. Water temps are about 75. I can drive the car for 2 hours, pop the hood, and grab the tank no problem. Engine coolant temps remain unchanged. I tested the unit the entire summer through 110 weather with no issues. The aluminum keeps temps in check, as well as the fan ports that go through the unit.

This unit only fits the C32. Other cars can use the setup that Brian suggested. Our cars are very different on the fenders from the srt6/slk.

Brandon
is this a tank that coolent the ic separate or to it chair the warm engine radiator flued. sweden
Old 10-28-2008, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Originally Posted by MikeR
pshek, I was thinking of mounting on the fender like BrianBrave did his. I would likely have to fab up a bracker for it but I need the dimensions to see if it would fit. Or I could get one from Brian's vendor.

MikeR
You guys have more room under the hood for these reservoirs. Our Mercedes W203 have practically no room at all. It probably wouldn't be hard to get the C3P reservoir to work in the SRT6. At least space isn't so much of an issue.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by BrianBrave
I did the same thing on my 3.2L AMG SRT6 motor.

I added a 28oz expansion tank from Meziere ($105) to the radiator shroud for the engine coolant and made a 1 Gal "flow" tank that replaced the OEM plastic tank on the DS fender for the intercooler. Very Tame IAT's......even under hard boost on a hot summer day.

Why do you pump directly to the intercooler and then cool the liquid back down after the fact with the H.E.? Is there an advantage to this? I've seen other people talk about setting it up this way too. I am currently pulling the fluid from the reservoir, sucking it through the H.E., then pumping it through the I/C core and hot water back to the tank. I wasn't sure which way would be better when I set it up
Old 10-28-2008, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Merc power
I'm still confused about where coolants route to?
Old 10-28-2008, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Originally Posted by Eleventeen
Why do you pump directly to the intercooler and then cool the liquid back down after the fact with the H.E.? Is there an advantage to this? I've seen other people talk about setting it up this way too. I am currently pulling the fluid from the reservoir, sucking it through the H.E., then pumping it through the I/C core and hot water back to the tank. I wasn't sure which way would be better when I set it up
I think he placed the ice chute in this location of the cooling circuit so that the "ice water" goes directly to the intercooler to cool the charged air. The inlet water of the ice chute has already been cooled down by the heat exchanger. I was thinking about the same thing. The way that the C3P reservoir is placed in the circuit means the ice water goes through the heat exchanger first, then back to the intercooler, which doesn't seem as efficient to me in terms of cooling the air charge. The ice water would probably be spending more time in the circuit and going back up in temperature.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Originally Posted by 1qikctr
I'm still confused about where coolants route to?
The tank is installed inline with the outlet of the intercooler and the inlet of the heat exchanger. So there is no fancy re-routing of lines. I installed the unit pictured without removing the bumper. Its tight, but possible. I would however recommend bumper removal the first time to make the job easier.

Brandon
Intercooler out ==> C3P reservoir ==> heat exchanger ==> pump ==> expansion tank ==> intercooler in.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:23 PM

Crossfire SRT6
Since the C3 is a bolt on top, I dont think it is ment to add any ice. At least not too easy. And no vent, so adding dry ice would be out. I really like the design and workmanship though. All I would want it for is the recirculating coolant. Using the factory surge tank dosent let it recirculate truely.

MikeR
Old 10-28-2008, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by pshek
Intercooler out ==> C3P reservoir ==> heat exchanger ==> pump ==> expansion tank ==> intercooler in.
I'm a bit confused as well... if both the IC coolant and engine coolant systems share the same expansion tank with this set-up, is it truly a separated system? Or is this just adding a lot of additional fluid capacity to the IC system (which, even if this is the case, it sounds like it's enough to address the heat concerns for us C32 owners)
Old 10-28-2008, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Merc power
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
I'm a bit confused as well... if both the IC coolant and engine coolant systems share the same expansion tank with this set-up, is it truly a separated system? Or is this just adding a lot of additional fluid capacity to the IC system (which, even if this is the case, it sounds like it's enough to address the heat concerns for us C32 owners)
maybe we need a diagram to show what this do to separate the cooling? or this is an add on with more coolant capacity.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:36 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Guys, it is extremely easy to add ice to the system. Watch the video and you can see the size of the opening of the lid.

Yes it is a closed system, and there are no problems with that.

Yes, the tank truly separates both systems. Included with the tank are the hoses and caps needed to separate. Basically the tank is installed inline where the outlet from the IC goes to the inlet of the HE, thats it. You remove that entire line, and replace them with two shorter lines. You then remove the line that runs from the engine coolant reservoir, and cap it off at both ends. Done...

Its easy to bleed. Just pop the lid and run the system.

Brians setup makes sense, but not for our application. What sounds great in theory, in our case, does not play out well unless you have a much larger tank that is mounted some distance from the entire setup. With an upgraded pump, you are moving fluid through the system at 6gpm. At this rate, in such a small closed system, it doesn't matter where the tank is mounted. I did the datalogging, and it makes no difference. Yes, ideally you dont want to dump the hot fluid into your tank. Originally I had my setup run just like Brians. In the end, it was absolute overkill, and made NO difference in cooling of the fluid or IATs. Our tank is a simply and elegant solution to separate your systems and add a large amount of fluid to the overall capacity.

There is no room for my tank in an SRT6/SLK. I have been asked to do a tank for them, and will look into asap.

Brandon

Last edited by Code3 Performance; 10-29-2008 at 12:02 AM.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:01 PM

SRT-6
I think he placed the ice chute in this location of the cooling circuit so that the "ice water" goes directly to the intercooler to cool the charged air. The inlet water of the ice chute has already been cooled down by the heat exchanger. I was thinking about the same thing. The way that the C3P reservoir is placed in the circuit means the ice water goes through the heat exchanger first, then back to the intercooler, which doesn't seem as efficient to me in terms of cooling the air charge. The ice water would probably be spending more time in the circuit and going back up in temperature.
Correct - If you add ice in your tank (usually on a hot day & at the track) and the coolant then flows from the tank to the HE - any efficient HE will dissipate the chilled fluid to the outside air and end up re-heating the coolant prior to flowing to the intercooler..

Brandon is correct - it is a bit of over-kill but I also went for the "Bling" factor and the best place to mount the tank was were the stock surge tank was located and the only realistic place to add a tank for the engine coolant was on the radiator shroud.

I will say that just separating the two systems will prevent "heat-creep" from the hot engine coolant to the intercooler coolant.

I have an IAT gauge installed with the sensor mounted close to the OEM sensor and my IAT's after this mod are now averaging 25-35 deg F lower (depending on OAT) and recover quicker after boosting hard...

** EDIT **
I should add that my tank works as a flow tank and not an expansion tank. IC coolant enters one port and exits the other. With the cap off you can see the coolant flowing thru the tank.

Last edited by BrianBrave; 10-29-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars and boats!
any issues with rusting? For those who live near the coast!!
Old 10-29-2008, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
Originally Posted by BenzoAMGpower
any issues with rusting? For those who live near the coast!!
its made out of aluminium.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Brandon,

Let me know if we can work on a simple IC separation for the E55.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
I just realized that if the C3P reservoir separates the engine cooling circuit from the charge air cooling circuit, then the expansion tank won't be in the charge air cooling circuit anymore. The expansion tank would have the lines coming from the intercooler capped off, and it would only act as an expansion tank for the engine cooling circuit (ie radiator).

So it would probably be like this for the new charge air cooling circuit...

Intercooler out ==> C3P reservoir ==> heat exchanger ==> pump ==> intercooler in.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
its made out of aluminium.

Won't rust but sure as hell can pit!! Got mine anyway!!
Old 11-01-2008, 07:59 PM

2002 C32 ///AMG
Probably a dumb question, but does this take over the old intercooler, or is it used in conjunction with it?
Old 11-01-2008, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by TJ_Andrews
Probably a dumb question, but does this take over the old intercooler, or is it used in conjunction with it?
in conjunction
Old 11-07-2008, 03:52 AM

02' C32 - 07' H2 - 07' BMW K1200R
Went to your web site and placed an order for one When do you expect to start shipping them out?
Old 11-07-2008, 01:24 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Originally Posted by C32-4ME
Went to your web site and placed an order for one When do you expect to start shipping them out?
Thank you for your purchase!

Brandon actually picked up the units today and they will be shipping either today or Monday.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Aaron
Old 11-07-2008, 02:00 PM

Talking

Brandon actually picked up the units today and they will be shipping either today or Monday.

Sincerely,

Aaron
Thank you for the "uber-fast" response!
I just sent an email with some questions for you.

Thanks again-

Scott
Old 11-07-2008, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 715 Likes on 696 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
luv the reservoir lid...
Old 11-07-2008, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Old 11-24-2008, 02:43 PM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
SL65 R230

Sincerely,

Aaron
Hi Aaron,

I hope you are fine! Has my Intercooler already shipped?

Best Regards
Old 11-24-2008, 03:08 PM

Question

Sincerely,

Aaron

Aaron-

I still have not received the kit yet.

I have emailed a few times, but have not had any responses yet.

Can you please give me an update on the shipping status?

Thanks!

Scott

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ***Code Three Performance C32 Intercooler Reservoir Group Buy***