C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Evo pulley & LET Pulley (Are they somewhat similar)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32
Evo pulley & LET Pulley (Are they somewhat similar)

Evosport came out with this pulley for the 63 AMGs. It is somewhat similar to what LET had offered in the past (Pls refer to the pic and the link)

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/267109-evosport-releases-power-pulley-system-63-amg.html

I was wondering why LET ended their so famous 185 pulley and just a short while, Evosport came out with this very similar design pulley.

Could they be manufactured by the same company?? Some sort of exclusivity, patent issues or something else stopped LET from offering them again??

Any thoughts??

Attached Thumbnails Evo pulley & LET Pulley (Are they somewhat similar)-let-pulley2.jpg   Evo pulley & LET Pulley (Are they somewhat similar)-let-pulley3.jpg  
Old 10-28-2008, 08:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C32 AMG, 2003 E39 M5

I am not an engineer but they look very similiar in design
Old 10-28-2008, 09:27 AM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by cnchung
Evosport came out with this pulley for the 63 AMGs. It is somewhat similar to what LET had offered in the past (Pls refer to the pic and the link)

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=267109

I was wondering why LET ended their so famous 185 pulley and just a short while, Evosport came out with this very similar design pulley.

Could they be manufactured by the same company?? Some sort of exclusivity, patent issues or something else stopped LET from offering them again??

Any thoughts??

I don't think that Jerry has "officially" released that they are not going to sell pullies....

Only time will tell...
Old 10-28-2008, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Jerry mentioned in a thread that he will be trying to continue with the 181/185...there is always possibilities that same company may be manufactoring both Why would Evosport offer this type of pulley for the 63 engine? Its NA not SC unless its lighter crank pulley

They do appear identical.

I think while the transition is happening with LET I think certain products may need contracts change hands and until then it may cause issues with selling product.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:59 AM

C32
Originally Posted by loungn14
I don't think that Jerry has "officially" released that they are not going to sell pullies....

Only time will tell...
I wish he will continue selling them too

Recall from a thread mentioning that he wil not sell hardwares, only for tuning.

From LET website, all pulley listings are gone.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:58 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
w203 m112
How else would the pullies look? Jerry probably has an ace up his sleeve. I'm sure we're all going to be amazed [again] in no time.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by cnchung

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=267109

Any thoughts??

evosport's crank pulley for 63 engines appears to be very similar to evosport's dampened 178mm crank pulley for C32/SLK32

LET's pulley design is similar to evosport's, with the exception of the LET crank pulley being larger, of course.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:41 PM
Almost a Member!

slk350
I wonder how much it weighs and how that compares to stock, does anyone know?
Old 10-28-2008, 08:36 PM

2002 C32 AMG
They both appear to be a black anodized two piece design consisting of billet aluminum w/ a steel hub, but that's where the similarities seem to end. The C63 pulley looks much smaller (as it should. Supercharged cars benefit from larger crank pulleys to speed the S/C up whereas non-supercharged cars benefit from smaller crank pulleys to slow things down and reduce parasitic losses). Also, the MB kompressor cars use an 8 rib belt design for reduced slip and the C63 pulley appears to be a 6 rib.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:36 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by Eleventeen
They both appear to be a black anodized two piece design consisting of billet aluminum w/ a steel hub, but that's where the similarities seem to end. The C63 pulley looks much smaller (as it should. Supercharged cars benefit from larger crank pulleys to speed the S/C up whereas non-supercharged cars benefit from smaller crank pulleys to slow things down and reduce parasitic losses). Also, the MB kompressor cars use an 8 rib belt design for reduced slip and the C63 pulley appears to be a 6 rib.
bingo....
Old 10-28-2008, 11:38 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
Stock C63 AMG pulley is pretty much underdriven from the factory, thats probably why that engine is as powerful as it is (one of many reasons).

Of all the MB pulleys we've come across (which believe me is alot, everything from the last 20 years) The C63 is by far the smallest and is a totally unique design unlike anything else, same is true of the 65 pulleys (7 rib design is unique to the 65s due to the power they make). I would not recommend decreasing that diameter anymore than it is but again its up to the consumer. I have a feeling MB took some pages out of the aftermarket to extract even more power out of that 6.3L engine, The OEM is definitely a unique design.

As far as weight, I am not sure how much the one above weighs but that would be interesting to find out, I do know the stock C63 pulley is similar to most other MB pulleys (around 7 lbs roughly). hope that helps.

Last edited by AMS Performance; 10-28-2008 at 11:41 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:21 AM
SPONSOR

Mercedes/ BMW/ Audi
Our 181 & 185 mm pulleys are still for sale.

The design of our pulleys and the design of the Evosport pulley have been around for many, many years and is nothing new.

They came from the same place at first.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by Eleventeen

He's correct. I had a 69 Trans Am and we would drag the car. On track days, we'd remove the "belt" and run crank only, played hell on Power steering and brakes, BUT it sure did release some power. It was very common in the "old days" to entirely remove the belt at the drags (and worry about cooling later); Thats why some guys would tow or push their cars to the line, start em, drag em and turn em off at the end and two em back to the pits!! Its worked then.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by LETMotorsports
Our 181 & 185 mm pulleys are still for sale.

The design of our pulleys and the design of the Evosport pulley have been around for many, many years and is nothing new.

They came from the same place at first.
Any 170-175's lurking in the shadows??? You know what I need!!!