C32 torque strut/power steering rack

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 C32 AMG
C32 torque strut/power steering rack

I need help! And I need it bad!!!
Today, I went to the stealership. Im from the bay area so I went to Autobahn Motors. I have a problem with my 02 C32 everytime i make a turn (mostly making a left turn) or if i stop/brake I hear a clunk noise from the front psgr side. The SA told me that a wrong bushing is installed in my R/F torque strut bushing . And my Power steering rack is leaking and boot is torn. Which is probably the reason why there is a clunking sound. They advise to get this done ASAP! And it will cost me a whopping $2800 to replace this parts.

To top it off they said that my IC pump is about to give up! And it is another 1K!!!

Any of you guys know if this is a easy DIY thing and where can I get the parts? Maybe forget about the DIY. I dont think I could do it anyways! Any shops you can recommend around the bay area?

oh! BTW!!! my right valve cover gasket is also leaking and their recommending a Transmission service as well.

PLS. HELP!!!!
Old 11-05-2008, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
Originally Posted by MBZAMG32
I need help! And I need it bad!!!
Today, I went to the stealership. Im from the bay area so I went to Autobahn Motors. I have a problem with my 02 C32 everytime i make a turn (mostly making a left turn) or if i stop/brake I hear a clunk noise from the front psgr side. The SA told me that a wrong bushing is installed in my R/F torque strut bushing . And my Power steering rack is leaking and boot is torn. Which is probably the reason why there is a clunking sound. They advise to get this done ASAP! And it will cost me a whopping $2800 to replace this parts.

To top it off they said that my IC pump is about to give up! And it is another 1K!!!

Any of you guys know if this is a easy DIY thing and where can I get the parts? Maybe forget about the DIY. I dont think I could do it anyways! Any shops you can recommend around the bay area?

oh! BTW!!! my right valve cover gasket is also leaking and their recommending a Transmission service as well.

PLS. HELP!!!!
I don't know about the torque strut bushing, but you can get a CM30 from Code 3 for $175 and get it installed for about another $100-$150. Just DON"T go to the stealership.

I have a great mechanic whom I trust totally although he's not a Mercedes "tuner" He specializes in European cars and is a one man shop. But he's over in the East Bay in Berkeley. He does all my work.

San Pablo European
(510) 524-1036
1519 San Pablo Ave, Berkeley, CA 94702
Cross Streets: Between Jones St and Cedar St/Hopkins St

sanpabloeuropean.com
Old 11-05-2008, 08:43 PM

02 C32 AMG
Thank you! I will try to call that shop tomorrow.
Regarding the pump who is code 3? How do get in touch with them?

thx again!
Old 11-05-2008, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32, 2012 S550
Originally Posted by MBZAMG32
Thank you! I will try to call that shop tomorrow.
Regarding the pump who is code 3? How do get in touch with them?

thx again!
Code3 Performance is one of the well respected tuners and sponsors of this board:

http://shop.code3performance.com/cat...c?categoryId=3

The CM30 IC pump is a higher capacity pump than stock for about the same price.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:47 AM

03 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Gramma_Benz
I don't know about the torque strut bushing, but you can get a CM30 from Code 3 for $175 and get it installed for about another $100-$150. Just DON"T go to the stealership.

I have a great mechanic whom I trust totally although he's not a Mercedes "tuner" He specializes in European cars and is a one man shop. But he's over in the East Bay in Berkeley. He does all my work.

San Pablo European
(510) 524-1036
1519 San Pablo Ave, Berkeley, CA 94702
Cross Streets: Between Jones St and Cedar St/Hopkins St

sanpabloeuropean.com

Im also in the same position i just ordered the pump from code 3 also ,
Grama benz since you say hes a good mechanic Ill go to him for the install but is a little far since im in the east bay fremont area , do you know a good shop around my side tho?
Old 11-06-2008, 01:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32, 2012 S550
Originally Posted by EURO KNG
Im also in the same position i just ordered the pump from code 3 also ,
Grama benz since you say hes a good mechanic Ill go to him for the install but is a little far since im in the east bay fremont area , do you know a good shop around my side tho?
Yeah, it is a bit far. Maybe throw out a new thread and ask if people know mechanics in your area. I'm sure there must be some around you.

Leo at San Pablo European is a stand up guy, I couldn't recommend him more. He's installed my C3P Pulley, IC pump, LET Heat Exchanger, service A & B, replaced my seat module, alternator, A/C Compressor, front rotors and pads....

But it is really nice to have someone close to you.

Good luck!
Old 11-06-2008, 01:21 AM

03 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Gramma_Benz
Yeah, it is a bit far. Maybe throw out a new thread and ask if people know mechanics in your area. I'm sure there must be some around you.

Leo at San Pablo European is a stand up guy, I couldn't recommend him more. He's installed my C3P Pulley, IC pump, LET Heat Exchanger, service A & B, replaced my seat module, alternator, A/C Compressor, front rotors and pads....

But it is really nice to have someone close to you.

Good luck!
What are his rates? if there not bad might be worth driving to some one who knows what he is doing.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32, 2012 S550
Originally Posted by EURO KNG
What are his rates? if there not bad might be worth driving to some one who knows what he is doing.
Well, he's not cheap per se, but he's honest and will quote you what the time actually takes. $90 an hour is his normal rack rate. Actually, when he installed my Heat exchanger, he had some problems removing my old one from the radiator and he didn't charge me extra even though it took him a lot more time.

Another time, a pulley failed on me and Mercedes wanted to sell him a whole kit for like $400. He found a replacement pulley from a company in LA and it only cost $40. So he's saved me $$ too.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:49 PM

02 C32 AMG
Ok! fellas!

I got a quote from a local euro shop here in San Mateo. They offered to fix my front torque strut bushing and to replace the boots (both sides) in my P/S rack (they said it was ok just the boots was all torn) replace the pump for my windshield wiper (turns out it was also broken ) and put back my stock suspension ( im going H&R plus stock shocks) for a grand total of $1200. Oh and yeah they're going to do an alignment as well.

Is that a fair deal or I just got ripped off.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:23 PM

CL
i have a power steering leak and sound in CL 500 2001... Just wondering why it's making sound and why it is leaking? If anyone has any good ideas please let me know...

thank you very much
Old 11-15-2008, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Merc power
power steering rack, this part is very hard get to. If you like, i can refer you to my MBbenz shop which i go to for the past 6 years, It's in the city. i'll pm you with more info. 1200$ is about right, if not even better than the price i got a long time ago.

After you drive your car for 5mins tops, all your power steering fluids will run dry, due to the leak you will lose power steering function. Check the Plastic tray under the car, see if there is pwr str fluids.

Last edited by 1qikctr; 11-15-2008 at 10:28 PM.