C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

!!! LET Motorsports Pulley Failure !!! <<Another story never been told>>

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32
!!! LET Motorsports Pulley Failure !!! <<Another story never been told>>

First of all, this is no offence to anybody. Just another untold story of LET pullies failure.

C32AMG-DTM - I totally understand your feelings now as I have already gone through this back in July this year.

My car has the following: LET 185 pulley, LET tune, LET HE, LET headers, LET phenolics.

Back in July, I was cruising at about 50km/h and all of the sudden, the display is showing alternator lights, engine lights and more. I lost power steering right away and lucky I was just 10 meters from a gas station. I pulled over, opened up the hood and realised that the belt came off, then I see a broken WP pulley with the circle part sitting somewhere under and there is that remaining part of the WP pulley still intact with the water pump.

The situation was really bad to me, had the car towed to the repair shop, We had the water pump replaced as it was damaged, custom made a wp pulley exactly the same as the original mb design except to the LET size, replaced the power steering host as it was damaged. Cleaned up all other pullies for "melted" belt marks. Replaced the NSK bearing on the idler as it is sort of sized up too. My bill was no less than yours C32AMG-DTM.

I called Jerry about this and he said he doesn't know why it happened. If I am not mistaken, I received the pulley after the recall and they should be the new design.

The pulley issue was never pleasant, I had it ordered and paid full in Nov 07, and only received it till May 08.

Jerry promised me the following but it has never been realised. Here's the PM.
.................................................. ............................................

[EDITED AS POSTING OF PM's IS AGAINST TOU]

PM DELETED

Now, I need to visit the repair shop on Monday and make sure the newly replaced NSK bearing is still in good condition, otherwise, I might need to find a 20K rpm bearing.

C32AMG-DTM - You are not the only one, just some stories left untold.
LET Motorsport - Your claim of no issues with 185 is not correct as you knew my case back in July.

Can I have a justice here please.

Last edited by cnchung; 11-15-2008 at 02:21 AM.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:13 PM

C32
Pic of the broken WP pulley
Attached Thumbnails !!! LET Motorsports Pulley Failure !!! &lt;&lt;Another story never been told&gt;&gt;-08-07-31_23-03.jpg  
Old 11-14-2008, 12:37 PM
SPONSOR

Mercedes/ BMW/ Audi
Fred - You had the old design and this part was recalled and this issue has been resolved. You said you had a local company make you a replacement and no shipping of new design was needed.

Last edited by Eurocharged Canada; 11-14-2008 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by cnchung
First of all, this is no offence to anybody. Just another untold story of LET pullies failure.

C32AMG-DTM - I totally understand your feelings now as I have already gone through this back in July this year.

My car has the following: LET 185 pulley, LET tune, LET HE, LET headers, LET phenolics.

Back in July, I was cruising at about 50km/h and all of the sudden, the display is showing alternator lights, engine lights and more. I lost power steering right away and lucky I was just 10 meters from a gas station. I pulled over, opened up the hood and realised that the belt came off, then I see a broken WP pulley with the circle part sitting somewhere under and there is that remaining part of the WP pulley still intact with the water pump.

The situation was really bad to me, had the car towed to the repair shop, We had the water pump replaced as it was damaged, custom made a wp pulley exactly the same as the original mb design except to the LET size, replaced the power steering host as it was damaged. Cleaned up all other pullies for "melted" belt marks. Replaced the NSK bearing on the idler as it is sort of sized up too. My bill was no less than yours C32AMG-DTM.

I called Jerry about this and he said he doesn't know why it happened. If I am not mistaken, I received the pulley after the recall and they should be the new design.

The pulley issue was never pleasant, I had it ordered and paid full in Nov 07, and only received it till May 08.

Jerry promised me the following but it has never been realised. Here's the PM.
.................................................. ............................................

[EDITED AS POSTING OF PM's IS AGAINST TOU]

---End Quote---
Jerry,

Thank you for your considerations, no hard feelings to both of us and Erick.

I know you guys are great and thats why I trusted both of you as an expert on the C32.

Frankly, I got to know you guys not long as you might know I am new to the forum. I almost placed an order with Evosport and ASP, I paused since I read a thread about LET products and I decided to try out.

Things were fine except the pulley, unfortunately, I need the pulley the most.

I will take your suggestions of a refund of $500. Be fair and happy to both of us, please include a C32 phenolic spacer when you send the pulley to me. Deduct whatever the price is for the spacer and the balance goes to my refund.

When you say 30 days, do you mean you will receive the 185 pullies on your side, or be delivered to my place? Please let me know the approx date I will be receiving the pulley.

What do you think?
.................................................. .................................................

Now, I need to visit the repair shop on Monday and make sure the newly replaced NSK bearing is still in good condition, otherwise, I might need to find a 20K rpm bearing.

C32AMG-DTM - You are not the only one, just some stories left untold.
LET Motorsport - Your claim of no issues with 185 is not correct as you knew my case back in July.

Uncool, man. First, posting the contents of a PM is uncool and a violation of the TOU's, as far as I know.

Second, why are you jumping onto the band-wagon now? It seems that everone here has had nothing but great things to say about LET, but all of sudden, a few want to knock LET down and kick them while they are there.

Really, you are complaining about a recalled pulley? It was recalled!
Old 11-14-2008, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 Designo 030
Originally Posted by ScottW911
Uncool, man. First, posting the contents of a PM is uncool and a violation of the TOU's, as far as I know.

Second, why are you jumping onto the band-wagon now? It seems that everone here has had nothing but great things to say about LET, but all of sudden, a few want to knock LET down and kick them while they are there.

+1. Very pointless IMO.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:43 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
ya, this kinda stuff is just bad for the forum....doesnt help anyone....
Old 11-14-2008, 03:24 PM

1992 Toyota Corolla, 1994 Chevy C1500, 2002 C32, 2012 Prius, 2013 Toyota Sienna
Here we go again....... PM's are private dude
Old 11-14-2008, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
...posting the contents of a PM is uncool and a violation of the TOU's...
It’s true. Through your use of the MBW, [one agrees] that the posting of private communications (including, but not limited to e-mail, private messages, letters, faxes) without the consent of all parties to said communication is strictly prohibited. Several have been banned for doing just that.

Reading comprehension has never been my strongest suit. However, it appears LET’s water pump pulley recall from this past June was applicable only to their 181mm kits...http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=248397

This week, information came to light on another forum I frequent regarding a pending upgrade to LET’s 185mm water pump pulley, and the failure that may have precipitated it:

http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/...ad.php?t=29486
&
http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/...ad.php?t=29497

They may or may not refer to the same water pump pulley design. It’s also possible that they were sourced from different suppliers or that changes were implemented during the production run, thus leaving only some purchasers affected.

I’m not a fan of piling on. This topic could have easily been posted in a thread that already exists and conveyed the exact same information, or preferably shared back in July when the issue occurred. I do, however, respect and appreciate that cnchung has shared his firsthand experience with a respected vendor’s product. I have obtained hardware and services from several forum sponsors. As part of what is viewed by some as a responsibility and obligation of contributing members, I’ve also unabashedly shared the good and bad of those experiences, and welcome similar feedback from fellow MBW enthusiasts so that my future discretionary purchases can best be utilized to obtain the desired results.

Pollyanna has her place - it’s not automotive forums, imho.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:48 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Originally Posted by cnchung
Isn't that what the refund was about? I'm not sure why this is suddenly an issue now, as all parties were satisfied with the outcome, AFAIK.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
Isn't that what the refund was about? I'm not sure why this is suddenly an issue now, as all parties were satisfied with the outcome, AFAIK.
+1 , I recall someone just recently raving about their Jerry Tune and knocking off a TT Porsche in HK and then a few months later we're going to 1. Disclose PMs and then 2. Knock something that happened months ago. This is truly Now I can see why LET et al are moving to the "tuning" market. Hardware is just too tough to deal with.

I guess when the bandwagon gets going, it takes all types to join in. Dude you really blind sided Jerry and LET . Those guys, Wayne and Jerry included , have been nothing but good to this forum. Things break man, I 've got a ML 55 with a broken power steering hose. I guess I should blame that on Jerry's tune too!!!
Old 11-14-2008, 05:35 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
+1 , I recall someone just recently raving about their Jerry Tune and knocking off a TT Porsche in HK and then a few months later we're going to 1. Disclose PMs and then 2. Knock something that happened months ago. This is truly Now I can see why LET et al are moving to the "tuning" market. Hardware is just too tough to deal with.

I guess when the bandwagon gets going, it takes all types to join in. Dude you really blind sided Jerry and LET . Those guys, Wayne and Jerry included , have been nothing but good to this forum. Things break man, I 've got a ML 55 with a broken power steering hose. I guess I should blame that on Jerry's tune too!!!
couldnt agree more....I guess its kinda like the I burned myself with the hot coffee thing....

It truely does make sense to get out of hardware with this type of thing happening...I should request that Jerry and Wayne pay for my tires, as they are now bald and I have to pay 1400 for a new set as a result of their tuning and product....hummmm (Jerry you have pm)
Old 11-14-2008, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by loungn14
couldnt agree more....I guess its kinda like the I burned myself with the hot coffee thing....

It truely does make sense to get out of hardware with this type of thing happening...I should request that Jerry and Wayne pay for my tires, as they are now bald and I have to pay 1400 for a new set as a result of their tuning and product....hummmm (Jerry you have pm)
+1, this thread is getting better than the E55 forums on the Chicago group!!

Oh Jerry, I just bought some Bridgestone Pole Positions A Models, you owe me for them as well. PM on its way. I hate to say it, BUT the disclosure of the PM is what did me in. Man, that's RAW!!! Jake , your PM on my plug issue is coming up
Old 11-14-2008, 07:12 PM

2009 Mini Cooper Clubman S
Is there any way for a moderator to remove a thread, because this seems to be a prime candidate? I completely agree that coming to a mutual agreement about a situation, then flaming the same parties months later is both uncalled for and shows very little class.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
he's basically just following what c32amg-dtm did. c32amg-dtm posted private emails between LET and him without LET's approval. The moderators didnt delete or lock his thread because of this and instead let people continue to post and comment when it should've been a private matter.

It set a bad precedent. Moderators should've deleted the thread and sent him a PM saying keep between PM's. cnchung is follow that same format, since the mods didn't react accordingly to the violation.

I agree it's not in good taste especially if he already got the $500 refund.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 c32 AMG 2012 c250 Coupe
no no no no no no no no no...!!! believe me when i say this... UNBELIEVABLE...!!! AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...!!!
Old 11-14-2008, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
he's basically just following what c32amg-dtm did. c32amg-dtm posted private emails between LET and him without LET's approval. The moderators didnt delete or lock his thread because of this and instead let people continue to post and comment when it should've been a private matter.

It set a bad precedent. Moderators should've deleted the thread and sent him a PM saying keep between PM's. cnchung is follow that same format, since the mods didn't react accordingly to the violation.

Moderators can only moderate if we KNOW of something. People need to send in reports when they see such things. I edited this thread as someone reported it - very simple to do.

It is amazing that people assume we are on EVERY thread - which is far from the case.

thanks
Brad
Old 11-14-2008, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Exclamation

Originally Posted by otoupalik
Moderators can only moderate if we KNOW of something. People need to send in reports when they see such things. I edited this thread as someone reported it - very simple to do.

It is amazing that people assume we are on EVERY thread - which is far from the case.

thanks
Brad
Ok...you left yourself open to this one...you posted at 7:03pm but I see this thread as well as the other that are in violation due to posting PM, emails,etc are still up now over 2 hours after you found it so what gives?

"cnchung" wouldn't this be best to mention before or in other thread? I appreciate the honesty especially since I have same hardware but if you settled with LET isn't posting after the fact sort of something one doesn't do? You raved so much before how the hardware rocks but you come now to show a problem? You understand the big companies wouldn't care or reply to this and you attack the small company that put a smile on your face...
Old 11-15-2008, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Perhaps the OP should have worked this out with LET and not have posted this at all. It seems to be stirring up, you know.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by bigben320e
Perhaps the OP should have worked this out with LET and not have posted this at all. It seems to be stirring up, you know.
That's the thing. It seems he did work things out, back in July, with a $500 refund. Now he comes in and throws gasoline on the fire. Why?
Old 11-15-2008, 12:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 C32 1987 190E 2.3 334K miles and going
That's the thing. It seems he did work things out, back in July, with a $500 refund. Now he comes in and throws gasoline on the fire. Why?
ENOUGH ALREADY!!
LET' ALL MOVE ON...
Old 11-15-2008, 02:09 AM

C32
Sorry to all as I was not aware that posting PM is not allowed. First thing I decided to do was to edit the post, and found that this was already done and thanks to the assistance of the moderators and I will keep this in mind not to violate again.

The refund was offered for the prolong delay of the pulley system back in Feb which was supposed to be shipped together with the pulley kit. I have not received the refund till now.

The failure of the pulley was not disclosed as I don't want to jump to conclusion and affect LET image since it might be the result of some other non-LET problems. I remained silent.

The refund and the pulley failure incident are 2 different issues. I did not ask for a refund for the failure of the pulley and the subsequence costs of repair. The refund was for the delay of the shipment which was promised.

Knowing what C32AMG-DTM had experience, I think it is necessary to say this out as this could happen to another forum members who had LET systems.

I do not agree this is a anything bandwagon. Failure of the pulley is a serious issue. C32AMG-DTM had the 181 system, for those who had 178 or 185 may not aware this could also affect their cars as they were never recalled. The recall was for the 181 system only and thats why I never think any of the pulleys on my car is suffering from problems until the failure happened.

To make myself clear, LET is a good company to me and thats why I bought may products from them. Since having LET products, I had more fun driving the car and rad a few good runs with many other rockets. I am still waiting for the refund which was promised, then I am settled.

Last edited by cnchung; 11-15-2008 at 02:57 AM.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:12 AM

C32

Thanks for the info, the recall was for the 181 system AFAIK. I run 185 on my car.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...ll-notice.html
Old 11-15-2008, 02:18 AM

C32
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
Thanks for the concern ChicagoX. Words I wrote for the pulley was to aware all 185 users.

The refund was my point. I apologise I did not make my self clear enough as it was late night.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:34 AM

C32
1. Disclose PMs

Thats was my mistake, I apologised for my ignorance

2. Knock something that happened months ago. This is truly

I did not disclose it as the failure might not be solely the problems of LET, it could be some other non LET hardwares failing or even the person who dirves the car. Till recently, another forum member who experienced the same problem, I started to think my case might not an isolated case and I need to let everybody knows and have their car checked. But now, I got a BS sign from you.

I guess when the bandwagon gets going, it takes all types to join in.

If this is regarded as bandwagon, I should not discuss anything negative anymore. The only thing I was not satisfy was not receiving a promised refund, it had nothing to do with the damage from the pulley failure.

Things break man, I 've got a ML 55 with a broken power steering hose. I guess I should blame that on Jerry's tune too!!![/QUOTE]

I never asked for for any kind of reimbursement from Jerry, there is nothing to do with any parts on any car.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:38 AM

C32
Originally Posted by TemjinX2

I apologise for posting PM. I have not received my refund. The refund was never for the failure of the pullies. It was a compensation for the prolong delay of the pulley system.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: !!! LET Motorsports Pulley Failure !!! <<Another story never been told>>