C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

1500 RPM Jerk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG, C32 AMG
1500 RPM Jerk

I know this topic has been discussed umpteen times, but my car (2002 C32 w/ warranty) never jerked before. Couple of months back, the jerk started and was very mild. I let it go for 2 months hoping that it was probably some adaptation issue and would fix by itself.

Since it never got any better, I took it to the dealer, and they found glycol contamination. They replaced the radiator and flushed the transmission. In a week, the jerk was back again. This time the dealer replaced the torque converter and while at it they replaced the rear main seal since that was leaking as well.

My question is that whether I should be more fussy and try to get them to replace the transmission as well? My advisor says that with the updated TSB, only the torque converter needs replacement. I remember seeing the contamination value but don't remember on the top, but it was relatively low and was just above the threshold. Do you think that would have already affected my transmission?

BTW I have driven it for a couple of days after the new converter, and there is no jerk whatsoever, but I guess I have to give it some time. Any thoughts will be appreciated.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by archangel100
I know this topic has been discussed umpteen times, but my car (2002 C32 w/ warranty) never jerked before. Couple of months back, the jerk started and was very mild. I let it go for 2 months hoping that it was probably some adaptation issue and would fix by itself.

Since it never got any better, I took it to the dealer, and they found glycol contamination. They replaced the radiator and flushed the transmission. In a week, the jerk was back again. This time the dealer replaced the torque converter and while at it they replaced the rear main seal since that was leaking as well.

My question is that whether I should be more fussy and try to get them to replace the transmission as well? My advisor says that with the updated TSB, only the torque converter needs replacement. I remember seeing the contamination value but don't remember on the top, but it was relatively low and was just above the threshold. Do you think that would have already affected my transmission?

BTW I have driven it for a couple of days after the new converter, and there is no jerk whatsoever, but I guess I have to give it some time. Any thoughts will be appreciated.
Sounds like you got the dealership to do a lot more than most people have (especially given the borderline glycol values)!

By all means, if you think you can get a new tranny out of the dealership / warranty, go for it. I highly doubt that's going to happen though (especially given the content of the TSB).

Seeing that locking up of the torque converter appears to be the culprit in many of the 'jerk' cases, you may get lucky. Perhaps the jerk is permanently gone now.
That said, a lot of C32 owners just live with it - seems like your jerk isn't too severe.
It's difficult to say whether the glycol contamination has already affected your transmission - too many variables in play. Sending the transmission fluid off frequently for analyses will give you a better idea.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
i think there also a tranmission software update back in 03/04. See if updating to the newest firmware might help. also make sure your car is in S mode. The jerk for me only comes when its in W mode.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
N/A
Took my 02 C32 to the dealer today for the tranny jerk issue. They said they are going to test for glycol contamination in the tranny fluid. We'll see what happens. I experience a mild tranny jerk and it is intermittent at 1500 rpms. I'll advise of their diagnosis.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:25 PM

N/A
Heard from the dealer and no glycol in the tranny fluid. Good news, I guess, and they are still diagnosing the source of the jerk. Any ideas as to why i experience the jerk when there is no glycol issue? I 'm just trying to get ideas so i can prepare a response when they say nothing else is wrong. Anything else I should get them to check?

Thanks.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:17 AM

04' C32 AMG & 90' TT 300ZX
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
i think there also a tranmission software update back in 03/04. See if updating to the newest firmware might help. also make sure your car is in S mode. The jerk for me only comes when its in W mode.
What is W mode?
Old 02-13-2009, 03:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
Originally Posted by redfarsi
What is W mode?
W = winter mode

S = sport mode

basically in W mode, the car starts in 2nd gear and short shifts. S mode starts in 1st gear and goes through more of the the rev band before it shifts.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:27 PM

N/A
Got the final synopsis from the dealer re: my tranny jerk and they are going to replace the torque converter. 2200 dollars and I am finally thankful that I bought the aftermarker extended warranty. I pay 100 deductible and they cover everything else including a rental for 5 days.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 C32, 2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2007 Harley NightRod, 2013 Harley Road Glide Custom
Originally Posted by tjbrum
Got the final synopsis from the dealer re: my tranny jerk and they are going to replace the torque converter. 2200 dollars and I am finally thankful that I bought the aftermarker extended warranty. I pay 100 deductible and they cover everything else including a rental for 5 days.
What became of this? Did it solve your problem?
Old 03-04-2009, 12:22 PM

2007 C230 and 1985 Monte SS
Is this jerk you guys talk about like a bit of deceleration on the 2-3 shift? Mine jerks a little bit like that, enought to make it uncomfortable when the engine is coldish.

I told the dealer about it (mine's an '07 C230) and they said that they couldnt get it to do it, even though I left it there overnight. I'm thinking that I'm going to have to take off of work to go there one morning and take them for a ride after leaving it there overnight...
Old 03-04-2009, 02:51 PM

N/A
Originally Posted by trbo2nr
What became of this? Did it solve your problem?
The jerk is gone. I will advise if it comes back. I have read that some of the others who have had tranny/torque converter replaced experienced no jerk initially but it came back. Mine hasn't yet so we'll see. I have also noticed a much smoother shift throughout the range in all gears. So, i'm happy for now.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:48 PM

2005 Silver E55
I'll bet that everyone that experiences the "Jerk" issue is using crappy cheap gas. Am I right? Think really hard about where you filled up last. Here is an experiment for all of you. Next time you need to fill up, go to an Exxon or a Shell station. Buy a bottle of Fuel Injector cleaner and poor it into your tank before you fill up with 93 Octane. I bet you that your "Jerk" will be completely gone while you run through that tank of gas. Then go to the cheapest guy in town, and fill up with 93 Octane, and I bet the "Jerk" resurfaces... I was able to completely eliminate the Jerk by using high quality gasoline only in my 2002 C32 with 78k miles on the odometer.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:11 PM

2002 C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
I concur. My dealer 'worked with me' (they didn't have to really do any of this since the contamination level came back negative - props to them) and swapped out the radiator, torque converter and flushed the transmission. I ended up with a new TCU from the motherland with the latest firmware loaded at the dealership. Problem has not come back and this was 18 month ago, maybe longer. I was pretty skeptical that all the above would solve the issue especially after reading all the come back occurences folks have had on the forum.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:07 PM

C32 AMG
how much is it to change the torque converter?
Old 03-14-2009, 04:35 PM

C32 ///AMG
I use the best gas I can find around here in Utah. Only 91 oct. and I have the jerk syndrom bad.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:49 PM

05 CLK55
Originally Posted by ptirado961
I'll bet that everyone that experiences the "Jerk" issue is using crappy cheap gas. Am I right? Think really hard about where you filled up last. Here is an experiment for all of you. Next time you need to fill up, go to an Exxon or a Shell station. Buy a bottle of Fuel Injector cleaner and poor it into your tank before you fill up with 93 Octane. I bet you that your "Jerk" will be completely gone while you run through that tank of gas. Then go to the cheapest guy in town, and fill up with 93 Octane, and I bet the "Jerk" resurfaces... I was able to completely eliminate the Jerk by using high quality gasoline only in my 2002 C32 with 78k miles on the odometer.
ptirado961,
So even 93 octane isn't good enough for our motor? What type of gasoline are you using on your C32 now? Thanks!

Has anyone tried using Fuel Injector Cleaner before? I am really new to this stuff, but I will look it up on the internet. Can anyone else with experience tell me how this thing works mechanically? Thanks!
Old 03-20-2009, 12:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1991 Toyota MR2, 2002 C32 AMG
Just to bring this up as an alternative, I switched my transmission fluid to one that Neihouma recommended and the jerk is completely gone. Here is the link to the fluid I used: http://www.redlineoil.com/products_g...8&categoryID=8

I hope this helps.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:58 PM

2007 C230 and 1985 Monte SS
Originally Posted by ptirado961
I put two bottles of techron concentrate through my tank, and I only fill up with Texaco with techron. There is a fellow on the board with some pretty extensive petroleum industry experience/expertise, and that is what he reccomends. There are also some borescope pictures of a member that uses chevron with techron, and the valves are spotless. So no, I'm not putting bad gas in the car.

But regardles... the jerk would be on all shifts if it were gasoline related, would it not? i.e. not just the 2-3.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:14 PM

2005 Silver E55
Originally Posted by D_Star
ptirado961,
So even 93 octane isn't good enough for our motor? What type of gasoline are you using on your C32 now? Thanks!

Has anyone tried using Fuel Injector Cleaner before? I am really new to this stuff, but I will look it up on the internet. Can anyone else with experience tell me how this thing works mechanically? Thanks!
I don't know exactly how it worked, but it just worked. Vibrations and really bad 1500-2000 RPM Jerk eliminated for 48hrs. It has made a big difference since. I have to admit, that it did come back slightly, but much less harsh, and much less frequent. I'm gonna try a little experiment again with some octane booster this evening. Stay tuned...