Phenolics Install Questions??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Phenolics Install Questions??

I am in the process of installing the phenolics I purchased from C32Used (Thanks Victor), BUt there is one nagging question? Do I need larger bolts for the install since I am also putting the new Needswings gaskets (on each side of the phenolics as well) on there too. Seems like a lot of space to make up??
Old 12-05-2008, 01:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
I am in the process of installing the phenolics I purchased from C32Used (Thanks Victor), BUt there is one nagging question? Do I need larger bolts for the install since I am also putting the new Needswings gaskets (on each side of the phenolics as well) on there too. Seems like a lot of space to make up??
What phenolics are you using (i.e. what thickness are they)? The Evosport-type ones will be fine with the Needswings gaskets (since the Needswings gaskets are only 1/16" thick). My understanding is that the Needswings gaskets also compress slightly.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:59 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
CODE3 Phenolic needs larger bolts, LET does not...just make sure you bought 4 gaskets (needswings) on both the top and bottom of the phenolic.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by loungn14
CODE3 Phenolic needs larger bolts, LET does not...just make sure you bought 4 gaskets (needswings) on both the top and bottom of the phenolic.
+1

loungn14 is right on the money.

OT - Newz... weren't you in the "phenolics are a waste and don't ultimately achieve anything useful" camp? If so, why the change of heart? Not being sarcastic, simply curious.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Thumbs up

Thanks Glenn for the business....God bless and GL!
Old 12-05-2008, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by loungn14
I have 4 sets for Needswings and the LET pehnolics. So I take it I will NOT need the extensions??
Old 12-05-2008, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
+1

loungn14 is right on the money.

OT - Newz... weren't you in the "phenolics are a waste and don't ultimately achieve anything useful" camp? If so, why the change of heart? Not being sarcastic, simply curious.

\
Yes, I don't really believe in them, BUT the price was right and the needswings ones were on sale, so I decided to pull the trigger. I still maintain that they don't do much once the engine is fully heated (taking that from my Physics and thermodynamics classes!!)
Old 12-05-2008, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
I have 4 sets for Needswings and the LET pehnolics. So I take it I will NOT need the extensions??
No, you do NOT need extensions. I just put my LET + gaskets on not long ago.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by SilverBulletAMG
No, you do NOT need extensions. I just put my LET + gaskets on not long ago.
Thanks, leakage was a concern!!! Thanks Jake for the advice you gave as well!!! Still not sure they'll work, BUT we'll see. The car is up for its winter solstice, so the ML 55 with Arctic Alpins (winter tires from Tire rack) is up and about and its a monster in the snow, woo hoo! Anyone care to race on the ice? We used to do that in Lake Geneva during the SCCA "Frosty Frolics." My old CRV with Blizzaks was invincible!!

Glenn
Attached Thumbnails Phenolics Install Questions??-arctic-alpins.jpg