Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Important Pulley Question, Need Input

Hey guys,

I am currently running a code3 s/c pulley with belt wrap kit and i am looking for more power. I am thinking about upgrading to the LET 181 or 185 and need some help.....

I used to run a 178 Evosport kit. Never had problems until one day, I started leaking oil. I posted threads about this in the past, but for a summary, here was the diagnosis from my SA:

"Warranty work is replacing tensioner pulley, and guide pulley, also addressing oil leaks at rear main seal, oil pan gasket and transmission elect connector"

and here is what my service sheet said:

"C/S HAS OIL LEAKING

Installed seal ring, screw, vibration AB, seal ring,
FOUND SEVER OIL LEAK AT FRONT CRANKSHAFT SEAL
REPL CRANKSHAFT SEAL AND HARMONIC BALANCER DUE TO HEAVY WEAR GROVES FROM SEAL"

.....now with that being said

i went stock for a while and did not have an oil leak. then i installed the code3, still no problems. I want to upgrade for more power but i am a bit nervous about that happening again....

Do you think I am safe to install it now?
Do you think it was simply installed incorrectly before, leading the pulley to wobble and cause "heavy wear groves" and the eventually oil leak from the seal?
Was it perhaps to due the fact it was not dampened?

I appreciate your input.....Thanks
Old 01-05-2009, 07:21 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by jturkel
Hey guys,

I am currently running a code3 s/c pulley with belt wrap kit and i am looking for more power. I am thinking about upgrading to the LET 181 or 185 and need some help.....

I used to run a 178 Evosport kit. Never had problems until one day, I started leaking oil. I posted threads about this in the past, but for a summary, here was the diagnosis from my SA:

"Warranty work is replacing tensioner pulley, and guide pulley, also addressing oil leaks at rear main seal, oil pan gasket and transmission elect connector"

and here is what my service sheet said:

"C/S HAS OIL LEAKING

Installed seal ring, screw, vibration AB, seal ring,
FOUND SEVER OIL LEAK AT FRONT CRANKSHAFT SEAL
REPL CRANKSHAFT SEAL AND HARMONIC BALANCER DUE TO HEAVY WEAR GROVES FROM SEAL"

.....now with that being said

i went stock for a while and did not have an oil leak. then i installed the code3, still no problems. I want to upgrade for more power but i am a bit nervous about that happening again....

Do you think I am safe to install it now?
Do you think it was simply installed incorrectly before, leading the pulley to wobble and cause "heavy wear groves" and the eventually oil leak from the seal?
Was it perhaps to due the fact it was not dampened?

I appreciate your input.....Thanks
Ok, first don't upgrade to the 181, get the 185. For the money its well worth it.

I would personally remove the c3, go to the 185, and get tuned accordingly.

The issues that you were describing sound like a combination of possible bad install/product and wobble (possibly from non dampened- would have to see the parts)

wobble on the crank pully will cause severe issues with the seals.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by loungn14
Ok, first don't upgrade to the 181, get the 185. For the money its well worth it.

I would personally remove the c3, go to the 185, and get tuned accordingly.

The issues that you were describing sound like a combination of possible bad install/product and wobble (possibly from non dampened- would have to see the parts)

wobble on the crank pully will cause severe issues with the seals.
the only reason i consider the 181 is because, if i remember correctly, werent some people losing power towards the topend for some reason? i dont remember why, but i remember talk about running too lean, not enough fuel, blah blah blah.....or is it a fallacy that you loser power at top end?

the evosport pulley i had was nondampened so i guess that may have had something to do with it. i may recall a slight wobble, though its been a yr since.

also, is there belt slip with the 185?

is the 185 dampened?

Last edited by jturkel; 01-05-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:10 PM
SPONSOR

the only reason i consider the 181 is because, if i remember correctly, werent some people losing power towards the topend for some reason? i dont remember why, but i remember talk about running too lean, not enough fuel, blah blah blah.....or is it a fallacy that you loser power at top end?

the evosport pulley i had was nondampened so i guess that may have had something to do with it. i may recall a slight wobble, though its been a yr since.

also, is there belt slip with the 185?

is the 185 dampened?
Hum, I dont really have a problem with the top end at all. I wonder if your thinking of what they were trying to do with the c3 pully and the 178/181? It was causing fuel issues with flatline and the injectors had issues.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Hum, I dont really have a problem with the top end at all. I wonder if your thinking of what they were trying to do with the c3 pully and the 178/181? It was causing fuel issues with flatline and the injectors had issues.
must be. im sorry.

is the 185 dampened?

is there belt slip?
Old 01-05-2009, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 AMG
I believe you are supposed to replace the crank pulley bolt every time you remove it due to the high torque specs (similar to head bolts).
Old 01-05-2009, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Eleventeen
I believe you are supposed to replace the crank pulley bolt every time you remove it due to the high torque specs (similar to head bolts).
hmm.....so are you saying this may have been a reason wobbling may have occurred?

so getting a crank pulley requires replacing the crank pulley bolt? even if not, sounds like a good precautionary measure. where can these be purchased besides the stealership?
Old 01-05-2009, 08:51 PM
SPONSOR

hmm.....so are you saying this may have been a reason wobbling may have occurred?

so getting a crank pulley requires replacing the crank pulley bolt? even if not, sounds like a good precautionary measure. where can these be purchased besides the stealership?
you CANNOT reuse the crank bolt. IT WILL CAUSE ISSUES.

There is some belt slip on the 185, and I don't remember if it is dampened.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
you CANNOT reuse the crank bolt. IT WILL CAUSE ISSUES.

There is some belt slip on the 185, and I don't remember if it is dampened.

well i guess that is what did it. im an idiot where can i purchase these crank bolts?

-so hypothetically, could i use my belt wrap kit on a 185 to prevent belt slip?

and i just found this in an old thread regarding being dampened or not

"This new pulley has a mechanical dampener. It uses a friction plate / clutch material to dampen. It contains about 28 internal pieces, including 8 springs.
The new design is a true work of art. Some of the older pulleys are fluid dampened. Personally, I prefer this new design. The mechanical dampener works throughout the entire RPM band."

Last edited by jturkel; 01-06-2009 at 02:49 AM.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:38 PM
SPONSOR

well i guess that is what did it. im an idiot where can i purchase these crank bolts?

-so hypothetically, could i use my belt wrap kit on a 185 to prevent belt slip?

and i just found this in an old thread regarding being campened or not

"This new pulley has a mechanical dampener. It uses a friction plate / clutch material to dampen. It contains about 28 internal pieces, including 8 springs.
The new design is a true work of art. Some of the older pulleys are fluid dampened. Personally, I prefer this new design. The mechanical dampener works throughout the entire RPM band."
no worries my friend, this is how we all learn. Grab a crank bolt from the dealer. As far as the belt wrap on the 185, let me know if it works. I had been trying to get brandon to send me one to test but no luck.

Good info from the dampening side of things. I thought it was but didnt want to post bad info and was too lazy to search...

Old 01-06-2009, 02:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 E550, 02 C32, 91 300E
I thought LET stopped making pulleys? Where are you getting one?
Old 01-06-2009, 02:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
no worries my friend, this is how we all learn. Grab a crank bolt from the dealer. As far as the belt wrap on the 185, let me know if it works. I had been trying to get brandon to send me one to test but no luck.

Good info from the dampening side of things. I thought it was but didnt want to post bad info and was too lazy to search...

yah i will let you know how it goes. this may sound like a dumb question but, how can you actually feel belt slip while driving? what is the "symptom," if you will (for the lack of better terminology)?

i think it would be safe to run the 185 without the tune for a little bit, but i dont think i will run the belt wrap kit with the 185 before being on the dyno. i dont have the necessities to monitor A/Fs and to do data logging. I would imagine it would be safer to test such a setup (185 + belt wrap kit) on the dyno to make sure things are going ok and then get it tuned for that (if it works out)?

other concerns that I would like to be addressed:

1.) does the 185 produce such excessive heat that is actually slows it down? maybe the 181 would be better? (I live in Arizona AKA hot desert)

2.)does the 185 require a larger belt?

3.)the only problems with the LET kits were the water pump pulley (which has been resolved) and the crank pulley bearings (which is in the process of being resolved), correct?

Last edited by jturkel; 01-06-2009 at 04:21 AM.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by DarkXerox
I thought LET stopped making pulleys? Where are you getting one?
i had someone offer me a semi-trade on the srt forum (barely used) and am strongly considering it...
Old 01-06-2009, 08:44 AM
SPONSOR

yah i will let you know how it goes. this may sound like a dumb question but, how can you actually feel belt slip while driving? what is the "symptom," if you will (for the lack of better terminology)?
I cannot feel the belt slip when driving. The only way I can tell has been on the dyno with the hood up and listening. In my personal opinion, if mb wanted to eliminate the belt slip they would have. A little slip is ok as to not thrash the accessories.

i think it would be safe to run the 185 without the tune for a little bit, but i dont think i will run the belt wrap kit with the 185 before being on the dyno. i dont have the necessities to monitor A/Fs and to do data logging. I would imagine it would be safer to test such a setup (185 + belt wrap kit) on the dyno to make sure things are going ok and then get it tuned for that (if it works out)?
I ran the 185 without tune for a month and beat the heck outta her. The tune just allowed more power throughout the band. I personally would wait for the belt wrap till ur on the dyno. We still don't know if it will fit with the 185 anywho. Better safe then sorry.

other concerns that I would like to be addressed:

1.) does the 185 produce such excessive heat that is actually slows it down? maybe the 181 would be better? (I live in Arizona AKA hot desert)

2.)does the 185 require a larger belt?

3.)the only problems with the LET kits were the water pump pulley (which has been resolved) and the crank pulley bearings (which is in the process of being resolved), correct?
1- stay with the 185 and upgrade your cooling components. I doubt you would see a difference with the 181

2- nope, stock it is

3- yes and yes. The water pump pully was beefed up around the edges. The guide pully bearings (not crank) are being looked at to replace. I personally don't see the point but free stuff is always cool.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
I cannot feel the belt slip when driving. The only way I can tell has been on the dyno with the hood up and listening. In my personal opinion, if mb wanted to eliminate the belt slip they would have. A little slip is ok as to not thrash the accessories.

I ran the 185 without tune for a month and beat the heck outta her. The tune just allowed more power throughout the band. I personally would wait for the belt wrap till ur on the dyno. We still don't know if it will fit with the 185 anywho. Better safe then sorry.

1- stay with the 185 and upgrade your cooling components. I doubt you would see a difference with the 181

2- nope, stock it is

3- yes and yes. The water pump pully was beefed up around the edges. The guide pully bearings (not crank) are being looked at to replace. I personally don't see the point but free stuff is always cool.
thanks for the responses! greatly appreciated!

looks like i may go this route and just wait until I get on a dyno to try the belt wrap.

out of curiosity, for additional cooling mods, would a johnson IC pump be sufficient? I dont know if spacers would fit with my SL55 intake.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:17 PM
SPONSOR

thanks for the responses! greatly appreciated!

looks like i may go this route and just wait until I get on a dyno to try the belt wrap.

out of curiosity, for additional cooling mods, would a johnson IC pump be sufficient? I dont know if spacers would fit with my SL55 intake.
if you don't have the johnson do it. Its a good cheap and easy install.

Spacers are worthless, not worth the $

If you can, look into splitting the cooling system. It will help you.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
if you don't have the johnson do it. Its a good cheap and easy install.

Spacers are worthless, not worth the $

If you can, look into splitting the cooling system. It will help you.
thats what i figured.....with regards to the pump and spacers

as far as splitting the cooling system....are you referring to adding the additional reservoir such as the one Code3 is selling or some other setup? any threads about it?
Old 01-06-2009, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Merc power
I think 185 if you want the RAW power /tune.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
is it safe to run the 185 on 91 octane? AZ gas is 91 and generally is tested to really be at like 88ish