Random Intake Idea

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 04:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Random Intake Idea

How feasible would it be to somehow try and make a code3 style intake on SL55 splitter? I know it is a y- splitter as opposed to the t- splitter on the C32, but what do you think of somehow making some squarish or circular "cuts" on the y-splitter on each side near where it goes into the TB and somehow fabricating a bracket or something that could hold little filters in place?

I miss the Code3 sound and I am thinking how I can get it back lol.......I just dont think this is a) very feasible and b) i think that if these cuts are made where i propose them, turbulence might increase or air might flow out the filter, either resulting in power loss? I think the code3 intake was strategically placed to prohibit this.........thoughts guys?
Old 02-03-2009, 07:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
would it be just easier to try to find a 3'' pvc T connector? Make it a side ways T and have the top part connect to the SL Y and the bottom part connect to the intake manifold and have the side opening with a aem style filter.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Originally Posted by jturkel
How feasible would it be to somehow try and make a code3 style intake on SL55 splitter? I know it is a y- splitter as opposed to the t- splitter on the C32, but what do you think of somehow making some squarish or circular "cuts" on the y-splitter on each side near where it goes into the TB and somehow fabricating a bracket or something that could hold little filters in place?

I miss the Code3 sound and I am thinking how I can get it back lol.......I just dont think this is a) very feasible and b) i think that if these cuts are made where i propose them, turbulence might increase or air might flow out the filter, either resulting in power loss? I think the code3 intake was strategically placed to prohibit this.........thoughts guys?
Back in my snowmobile racing days, there were all kinds of little tricks to squeeze every last bit of juice from the sled. I don't remember what they're called anymore, but there are small circular filters in various diameters (2", 3", etc.) that were very easy to use and install. You simply cut a hole in the intake wherever you wanted to put them and popped it in place. They also came with a cover so you could block them off if need be.

You did raise some valid concerns about airflow though. I can't help you there but I do know there are parts out there that do just what you described if you want to give it a go. I can get the name of the filter things if you're seriously interested in trying it.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:03 PM

C32 AMG
The big benefit of the SL55 splitter is that it makes power up top because it flows more air and much smoother. The air that comes in your front snorkels gets pressurized in the intake system as it slows down to take turns and go through the filters. Now if you visualize a hole right in back the center of the intake(where the code-3 goes), you can imagine that a lot of the air that came in the front will go right out that hole with its velocity. The supercharger, or engine, will take what it needs as the air passes through.

Here's what I did: I constructed a DIY code3 intake(very professional looking, I might add), and I removed the weatherstripping that runs along the back part of the hood. This helps for a number of reasons(vent engine, cowl induction, cold-air source, etc...). You could also cut the metal support on the hood beneath the factory vent that sits over the throttle body. I'll install your filters when they come and hopefully this cool air from the front of the car will mix with the air the code3 intake is pulling in, and will serve to cool it even further.

A different approach than the SL55 splitter for sure. The SL55 intake should produce a better top-end, but my setup should dyno better, and produce a good midrange. I would not expect ANY code3 intake or version thereof to be better on the topend than the SL55.

Now I could build a needswings style intake, but there's no real place to put the filter(like the srt guys can go in front of the radiator) where there's cold air. Any suggestions on this one?

Old 02-03-2009, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Forza1
Here's what I did: I constructed a DIY code3 intake(very professional looking, I might add), and I removed the weatherstripping that runs along the back part of the hood. This helps for a number of reasons(vent engine, cowl induction, cold-air source, etc...). You could also cut the metal support on the hood beneath the factory vent that sits over the throttle body. I'll install your filters when they come and hopefully this cool air from the front of the car will mix with the air the code3 intake is pulling in, and will serve to cool it even further.

i had the exact same setup with removed weather stripping and switched to this....do you have an srt or c32?

i have the tracking number at my house....will get it to you when i go home
Old 02-03-2009, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Originally Posted by SilverBulletAMG
Back in my snowmobile racing days, there were all kinds of little tricks to squeeze every last bit of juice from the sled. I don't remember what they're called anymore, but there are small circular filters in various diameters (2", 3", etc.) that were very easy to use and install. You simply cut a hole in the intake wherever you wanted to put them and popped it in place. They also came with a cover so you could block them off if need be.

You did raise some valid concerns about airflow though. I can't help you there but I do know there are parts out there that do just what you described if you want to give it a go. I can get the name of the filter things if you're seriously interested in trying it.
Something like this?

You wont get any added hp, maybe a little more whine from the supercharger.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W210 E55 & W204 C63
Originally Posted by pshek
Something like this?

You wont get any added hp, maybe a little more whine from the supercharger.
That foam would be sucked in at start up
Old 02-03-2009, 06:49 PM

C32 AMG
C32. I just hang out on the srt forums because they seem to be more knowledgeable and willing to try new things than the mb guys. I still plan on SL55 setup when my wallet expands one day...

i had the exact same setup with removed weather stripping and switched to this....do you have an srt or c32?

i have the tracking number at my house....will get it to you when i go home
Old 02-03-2009, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Originally Posted by kindafast
That foam would be sucked in at start up
depends on which way you mount it. i'm not advocating this mod. but if you guys want to make swiss cheese out of your 55 splitter, then go for it.

Last edited by pshek; 02-03-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:51 PM

Volvo
I have teh normal style intake (OEM) but instead of buying code 3 filter, i made my own, Cost me mm 10.00 bucks at a hardware store. If your planing on makeing on the 55 spliter, make sure its not to small, because it will whisle ....
Old 02-03-2009, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
lol....i dont want to make it look like swiss cheese....i'm just trying to find a way to get some more s/c noise, but obviously don't want anything to get sucked up and don't want to lose power.....the filter/s would have to be ideally placed to prevent additional turbulence or flow out of the filters...
Old 02-03-2009, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
would it be just easier to try to find a 3'' pvc T connector? Make it a side ways T and have the top part connect to the SL Y and the bottom part connect to the intake manifold and have the side opening with a aem style filter.
what would this look like? any pics or links to such a setup?
Old 02-03-2009, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

what would this look like? any pics or links to such a setup?
nah i'm just thinking out loud, i already have the c0de3 intake. i was thinking something like this.

best bet is just go to home depot and take a look around.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
nah i'm just thinking out loud, i already have the c0de3 intake. i was thinking something like this.

best bet is just go to home depot and take a look around.
the SL55 splitter is really jammed in there and there is very little space....not sure how it would fit....hmm
Old 02-03-2009, 10:50 PM

2006 E55 2005 Crossfire SRT-6
I have used LET intakes with a 3" Wye connector instead of the SL splitter and boost actually came on a bit faster and airflow bumped up about 10 gm/sec

~edit~ correction: LET intake tubes, a 3" Wye and 2" silicone 90's to be exact
Old 02-03-2009, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

you can try getting a cross conector and form you own t splitter.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ImportLabSRT
I have used LET intakes with a 3" Wye connector instead of the SL splitter and boost actually came on a bit faster and airflow bumped up about 10 gm/sec

~edit~ correction: LET intake tubes, a 3" Wye and 2" silicone 90's to be exact
do you have pics of the setup?
Old 02-03-2009, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
do you have pics of the setup?
yes i am also curious
Old 02-03-2009, 11:17 PM

yes i am also curious
I took it off but I could put it back together if you want to see what it looks like. My only fear is that it wont fit a C32....I have a SRT-6

Heres a pic:

Last edited by ImportLabSRT; 02-03-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
I took it off but I could put it back together if you want to see what it looks like. My only fear is that it wont fit a C32....I have a SRT-6
well the SL55 splitter is EXTREMELY difficult to fit.....if it is any bigger than this, i dont think there will be enough clearance to make it work
Old 02-03-2009, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

do you have a pic of the connector you used? all the wye connectors i see on google are just y splitters.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:29 PM

The 3" Wye I used can be found HERE I just trimmed it down to fit a little better.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
The 3" Wye I used can be found HERE I just trimmed it down to fit a little better.
any idea how this compares to the size of the 55 splitter?
Old 02-03-2009, 11:48 PM

any idea how this compares to the size of the 55 splitter?
Inlet size is the same but airflow is a lot smoother because of the absence of the rips. But it is taller (closer to the bulkhead) then the 55 splitters. Thats why I dont think it will fit on a C32.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i dont get it thought, how do you fit the third filter to make it like a code3 with a y splitter like that?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Random Intake Idea