Things in the mix: it never ends

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 11:58 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
Things in the mix: it never ends

For the regulars on here You all know about my SC retro-fit... bla-bla-bla.
I know the C32 and E55 guys have have been using the Johnson pump with relatively good results. So after some quick research I went to a local boat shop and bought a killer bilge pump that can flow like crazy (If i wanted it to). I think its a Jabsco pump I cant remember. I will be having that installed on my car tomorrow and it will have some control valves set up under the hood so flow rates can be controlled.

All I can remember is the pump is shaft driven and has a flexible impeller, Not magnetically driven like other pumps. When we do some data logging we will be able to adjust the pump to flow for the best IAT (kinda cool).

Also I'm going to be retro-fitting a set of SL65 brakes and rotors to my car. Couldn't pass up the price.

We also will be mounting some small fans on the H/E for some extra cooling.

We are still working out a bug with the throttle body, but the shop is going to come up with a solution.

Lastly: and this may pain some of you, but we going to install a blow-off valve. I will do my best to lobby for a spot that is out of view
Old 03-27-2009, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Merc power
Originally Posted by hooleyboy
For the regulars on here You all know about my SC retro-fit... bla-bla-bla.
I know the C32 and E55 guys have have been using the Johnson pump with relatively good results. So after some quick research I went to a local boat shop and bought a killer bilge pump that can flow like crazy (If i wanted it to). I think its a Jabsco pump I cant remember. I will be having that installed on my car tomorrow and it will have some control valves set up under the hood so flow rates can be controlled.

All I can remember is the pump is shaft driven and has a flexible impeller, Not magnetically driven like other pumps. When we do some data logging we will be able to adjust the pump to flow for the best IAT (kinda cool).

Also I'm going to be retro-fitting a set of SL65 brakes and rotors to my car. Couldn't pass up the price.

We also will be mounting some small fans on the H/E for some extra cooling.

We are still working out a bug with the throttle body, but the shop is going to come up with a solution.

Lastly: and this may pain some of you, but we going to install a blow-off valve. I will do my best to lobby for a spot that is out of view
If the boat pump works it would be great, as for the blow off valve, i have to see how this can be done with eaton SC's. Pls update with pix mike.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
blow off valve? interesting.

if the pump flows too much, wont it get backed up at the intercooler? i thought i remember reading that somewhere for the c32s. if c32s apparently have an upgraded pump and a larger H/E, i thought i read it gets backed up at the I/C (becomes the rate limiting step)

and please discuss the fans on the heat exchanger in depth when it gets installed. i need as much cooling as possible in this AZ heat and need some serious cooling mods like that and like your awesome little coolant pump/reservoir/thing that runs and cools down your s/c when the key is in the accessory position
Old 03-27-2009, 02:54 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
I'm currently researching some cooling mods, We have come up with the idea of front mount H/E fans. would they work? IDK? but i bet in a traffic situation they would have a benefit. being able to blast 30mph wind when your at a stand still in traffic or at 20mph. Maybe this would not work for you guys but in my case my supercharger is always on stand still or moving. Could be nice for the track like my pump set up that always runs as long as the key is in the on position.

As for the pump, who's to say 3 times more flow will give you the best benefit? what if you need 2 time the flow to get to the bet IAT? or maybe you need 4 or 3.5 times to really keep your IATs in a safe spot.

other F/I car people spend lots of cash on pump combos to try and cool their cars down. So why cant you buy a pump that flows alot more than a johnson mc30 but have the ability to reduce or increase flow to meet your demands?

believe it or not there are parts for your car at your local boat shop.

I will do some data logging tomorrow with the old bump and the new pump, If the idea fails than o well.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by hooleyboy
I'm currently researching some cooling mods, We have come up with the idea of front mount H/E fans. would they work? IDK? but i bet in a traffic situation they would have a benefit. being able to blast 30mph wind when your at a stand still in traffic or at 20mph. Maybe this would not work for you guys but in my case my supercharger is always on stand still or moving. Could be nice for the track like my pump set up that always runs as long as the key is in the on position.

As for the pump, who's to say 3 times more flow will give you the best benefit? what if you need 2 time the flow to get to the bet IAT? or maybe you need 4 or 3.5 times to really keep your IATs in a safe spot.

other F/I car people spend lots of cash on pump combos to try and cool their cars down. So why cant you buy a pump that flows alot more than a johnson mc30 but have the ability to reduce or increase flow to meet your demands?

believe it or not there are parts for your car at your local boat shop.

I will do some data logging tomorrow with the old bump and the new pump, If the idea fails than o well.
lol let us know how the data logging goes.

im still down for fan setup on the h/e and your pump that runs with just the key in.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Hooleyboy - nice additions! SL65 brakes going to fit under your wheels? Or necessitates going up to 19 inchers? Interested to hear about this pump - sounds like overkill, but with some pretty handy features.

Josh - fans on the OEM HE has been done by the SRT-6 folks... pretty sure there's some good info on it over at their forum. It was discussed adding ones to an upgraded HE, but never done to my knowledge - not enough room (IIRC). And yep, flow will "back-up" in the cooling system wherever the major point of restriction is... likely the IC in ours, once other areas have been upgraded.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Josh - fans on the OEM HE has been done by the SRT-6 folks... pretty sure there's some good info on it over at their forum. It was discussed adding ones to an upgraded HE, but never done to my knowledge - not enough room (IIRC). And yep, flow will "back-up" in the cooling system wherever the major point of restriction is... likely the IC in ours, once other areas have been upgraded.
sorry for the threadjack Mike (hooley), but...

yah, there is minimal space there. fan has to come out to get an impact wrench to take off the crank pulley. major PITA. i dont think there is enough space. Mike has an awesome pump/reservoir/thing that cools down his S/C when the key is in the accessory position. It does not necessarily increase coolant capacity nearly as much as the Code3 (1.2 gallons), but it constantly runs and can run while your car is in line at the track to keep the temps down. Maybe Mike will be nice enough (if he has time) to post up some info or a vid about it. i may go over to dynocomp and have them retrofit my car with one like they did his (though i really want to increase fluid capacity too).
Old 03-27-2009, 04:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jturkel
sorry for the threadjack Mike (hooley), but...

yah, there is minimal space there. fan has to come out to get an impact wrench to take off the crank pulley. major PITA. i dont think there is enough space. Mike has an awesome pump/reservoir/thing that cools down his S/C when the key is in the accessory position. It does not necessarily increase coolant capacity nearly as much as the Code3 (1.2 gallons), but it constantly runs and can run while your car is in line at the track to keep the temps down. Maybe Mike will be nice enough (if he has time) to post up some info or a vid about it. i may go over to dynocomp and have them retrofit my car with one like they did his (though i really want to increase fluid capacity too).
PM sent, so as to not threadjack further.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Definitely keep us posted on how the fans work out on the HE. I had looked into this previously as well but couldn't find fans that would work at highway speeds and beyond. Tried pulling and pushing the air to see if it made a difference and the issue was always when you got up past 80mph it was waaay too fast for the small fans (computer fans from 60mm up to 120mm panflows) and they would just self destruct. There may be better fans out there specifically made for this I wasn't aware of though.
I'm watching this one with interest. And a BOV?lol
Old 03-27-2009, 10:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I DON'T COME HERE ANYMORE
Ever consider a cryo set up for the IC/HE (funny-all the turbo 4 forums Im on-they're intercoolers-here they are Heat Exchangers....)-fans are nice for DD and idle-but I've seen guys run into probs when at hgih speed with them-and as someone posted-mounting is a pita.
bov is figured-you're running the sc hardwired with no clutch disengagment-you need the pressure to go somewhere (recirc the air past the MAF sensor-VTA will require a whole other tune to compensate for the air the MAF has read-but is not getting to the cyl).
gl on the conversions-I can tell you from experiance-ones this starts-it wont end-
hows the tranny hold up to all this? I see you commented on the axels-but I have to believe at some point the tranny will not like the new powa!
Old 03-27-2009, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by rockjock
IC/HE (funny-all the turbo 4 forums Im on-they're intercoolers-here they are Heat Exchangers
The intercooler, as we refer to it, is under the SC. The "heat exchanger" is basically a front mount intercooler. Maybe its referred to as a HE to keep the two seperate and prevent confusion as to which "IC" was being referenced? You're right though...never really thought about it.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:00 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
I kown its funny having a BOV on a mercedes, but my boost need a place to go.

As for the fans I bring up the idea of weiring them into the radiator fan so when that kicks on the H/E fan does too. And its true you will never find a fan that would work at speed.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:11 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

Typically an "intercooler" is air to air whereas the "Heat exchanger" is liquid to air-
Old 03-27-2009, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by spr
Typically an "intercooler" is air to air whereas the "Heat exchanger" is liquid to air-
Isn't our intercooler under the SC liquid to air?
Old 03-27-2009, 04:39 PM

I've seen both air to air and liquid to air labeled as both.....does the intake plumbing run through the HE as well, or is it just for coolant (like an extra radiator?)-I guess I've never dug into the C32 intake before-sounds like its all over the place in the engine bay-but this is so OT....sorry!
Old 03-27-2009, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by spr
Hmmm... all due respect, no - that isn't the primary distinction.

Originally Posted by SilverBulletAMG
Isn't our intercooler under the SC liquid to air?
You are correct.

The reason our front-mount heat exchanger isn't an intercooler, is that the intercooler is the piece of hardware that directly cools down the intake charge in a F/I application. As mentioned above, ours sits in the valley of the engine's "v" underneath the S/C. The heat-exchanger is the intercooler's "radiator" - cooling down the fluid in the air-to-water setup to boost the thermal efficiency of the system. No intake charge air passes through the FMHE; consequently in no way is it an intercooler. Hope I'm explaining it well...
Old 03-27-2009, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
The reason our front-mount heat exchanger isn't an intercooler, is that the intercooler is the piece of hardware that directly cools down the intake charge in a F/I application. As mentioned above, ours sits in the valley of the engine's "v" underneath the S/C. The heat-exchanger is the intercooler's "radiator" - cooling down the fluid in the air-to-water setup to boost the thermal efficiency of the system. No intake charge air passes through the FMHE; consequently in no way is it an intercooler. Hope I'm explaining it well...
Perfect explanation, thanks much. Sorry we got so Hooley.lol
Old 03-27-2009, 04:52 PM

got it....so you would have a HE in an air to liq application-good answer!
Old 03-27-2009, 10:12 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Perfect explanation, thanks much. Sorry we got so Hooley.lol
I dont care if its off topic, doesnt bother me at all Just talkin cars here
Old 03-27-2009, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 41 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes
I am really interested in where and how you are going to place the BOV, I was told by some people a while back that its not possible... it that true?
Old 03-28-2009, 12:23 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
1990 300ce supercharged and intercooled
There is no need for a blow off valve on this system. In fact it simply will not do anything. When you lift the throttle the blower stops making boost. It goes into a vacuum with the rest of the intake tract. So there is no need to dump boost like with a turbo or a centrifugal blower setup were the throttle actuator is down stream of the boost source.

Fans on your intercooler circuit should help a lot by the way. The front mount spray kits do not really do anything on air/water setups though. It takes too much to cool down the water in the system. The best way to get really cold water is a separate reservoir with ice in it. Move your battery to the trunk and build a reservoir there. This is what I did and it works great.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Hooleyboy,

Great job on the retro fit. I'm impressed by how fast it was done.

Here are pics of my heat exchanger setup just fyi

Old 03-28-2009, 03:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by pshek
Hooleyboy,

Great job on the retro fit. I'm impressed by how fast it was done.

Here are pics of my heat exchanger setup just fyi

do the fans help a lot with cooling? when do you have them engage?
Old 03-28-2009, 03:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
I haven't datalogged the temps yet. I have it wired to a programmable digital fan controller and I can adjust the temp range at which they turn on, but I haven't programmed it yet. I have a manual override switch to turn them on whenever for now. However I notice that the temps really don't rise by more than 1-2 degrees and remains stable.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Definitely keep us posted on how the fans work out on the HE. I had looked into this previously as well but couldn't find fans that would work at highway speeds and beyond. Tried pulling and pushing the air to see if it made a difference and the issue was always when you got up past 80mph it was waaay too fast for the small fans (computer fans from 60mm up to 120mm panflows) and they would just self destruct. There may be better fans out there specifically made for this I wasn't aware of though.
I'm watching this one with interest. And a BOV?lol
PC fans won't work. A PC fan's motor won't be strong enough to push any amount of air through the radiator core either. You have to use a small electric radiator fan. I can feel the radiator fans pulling air if I place my hand 1 foot away from the front bumper. I use the fans mostly during stop and go traffic. If I'm doing highway speeds then I just turn them off.