C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

WARNING: CODE3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 08:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 c32
Angry WARNING: CODE3

In October of 2008, my vehicle was sent to Code3Performance in the care of Brandon Smith with a Code3 s/c pulley and intake that I had purchased in August of 2008 directly through Code3's website.

The original agreement and intent of sending my vehicle to Code3 was to provide my C32 for new product development and as a test bed for a twin turbo set-up. Six weeks into the project, Brandon chose not to move fwd with the aforementioned b/c of unchartered waters, expenses, and lead time to complete the project.

At this stage it was agreed upon by both parties, that the vehicle would be used for a dual pulley set-up - involving various combinations of Code3 s/c pullies and LET 181/185mm crank pullies. The vehicle would also be outfitted by the full gamut of Code3 cooling accessories, including: a Johnson IC pump, Code3 HE, Code3 Reservoir, and the infamous Code3 s/c intercooler.
Furthermore, Brandon had decided to send the blower to Stigmeier to be ported and polished; an alcohol injection kit was installed, as well as a one off intake, and 30 shot nitrous was installed on the vehicle. Larger injectors were installed on the car, as Brandon believed that fuel was a major constraint of the equation that needed to be addressed.

Countless hours of gratuitous dyno tuning from LET (approx. 30 hours) ensued - A BIG THANK YOU TO JERRY AND WAYNE to try to make the BIG power gains that Brandon was hoping for.

Twelve weeks after sending my car off to Code3, New Years eve, the car was returned to its origin. The car remained in my possession for a little under one week, when it started to demonstrate signs of performance issues.
Brandon picked up the car, and drove it back to Code3's HQ in Santa Barbara where it remained for another two weeks.

End results: the stock s/c pulley and injectors were returned to stock; a 185mm LET crank pulley was installed; and a JERRY tune complemented the package.

Immediately after receiving my car back, the vehicle started to experience bucking issues under acceleration. At first, the vehicle would act up at a certain RPM/Tq range, and since then, the problem has become consistently worse.

I immediately informed Brandon of the issues I was experiencing to no avail, assistance, or direction whatsoever.

To compound the aggravation, Brandon Smith has yet to return the following list of assets which have been removed from the vehicle and for which I have paid for:
+C3P s/c pulley
+Powder Coated Intake
+OEM s/c intercooler
+OEM s/c plaque (was removed by Brandon without permission )

I am paraphrasing the last communication via email that I have received from Brandon on Feb 25, 2009:

Good morning Lawrence,

I am picking up pulleys either tomorrow or Monday.
Intake was damaged by the powdercoater. They paid for a new piece, which I just purchased. I just need to get it cut and welded again...

Stock IC and badge are sitting here, just need to send them your way.

After 3 months of countless documented emails and phone calls to Code3Performance owner Brandon Smith in regards to unreturned assets, I am writing this thread to forewarn any prospective clients of the absolute lack of response, performance, follow through and duress that I have experienced.

I have recently sent my vehicle to the care of Vadim at VRP in Costa Mesa, CA to problem solve the performance issues that I have experienced since the vehicle was returned from Brandon at Code3.

Some $6k later at VRP (a combination of performance headers, exhaust, throttle body, intakes, tuning...), and the replacement of the Code3 s/c intercooler with a new stock MB IC and map sensor have rendered the vehicle a beast again.

Vadim at VRP states the Code3 s/c intercooler to be the cause of the "bucking" which the vehicle was experiencing. Boost leak, and lack of air flow are the precursors.

Oh, I almost forgot, apparently "the s/c was never ported and polished either", states Vadim at VRP. Either Brandon took my "ported s/c" and placed it on his own vehicle, or the s/c was never ported and polished.

Brandon, I am sick and tired of being ridiculed by your inability to communicate in a professional manner, your ill promises, and lies!
Let the truth be known to everyone!

Please return my parts immediately!

Last edited by AirFrcd; 04-29-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:13 PM

AMG
I just received my supercharger pulley bearing that was overnighted from c3,cali to Boston..
Old 04-29-2009, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
damn sorry to hear all that. he seems like such a nice guy on the phone.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by AirFrcd
In October of 2008, my vehicle was sent to Code3Performance in the care of Brandon Miller with a Code3 s/c pulley...

...To compound the aggravation, Brandon Miller has...

...I am quoting the last communication via email that I have received from Brandon on Feb 25, 2009:

Good morning Lawrence,

I am picking up pulleys either tomorrow or Monday.
Intake was damaged by the powdercoater. They paid for a new piece, which I just purchased. I just need to get it cut and welded again...

Stock IC and badge are sitting here, just need to send them your way.

Thanks,

Brandon Smith
Owner, Code3 Performance
brandon@code3performance.com
www.code3performance.com
Office (805)265-6765
Fax (805)265-6767

...calls to Code3Performance owner Brandon Miller in regards to unreturned assets...
Not to nit-pick, as you are obviously upset with this situation, but who is Brandon Miller? Has Brandon Smith been using an alias all this time?
Old 04-29-2009, 08:41 PM

03 c32
Originally Posted by ScottW911
Not to nit-pick, as you are obviously upset with this situation, but who is Brandon Miller? Has Brandon Smith been using an alias all this time?
Brandon Smith - dully noted.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:47 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
I was wondering when this was going to surface....

Best of luck to you my friend, if there is anything that I/we can do for you let me know....

Old 04-29-2009, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
Originally Posted by l3iGD
I just received my supercharger pulley bearing that was overnighted from c3,cali to Boston..
yeah me too. i ordered mine on sunday got it by tuesday.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by ScottW911
I'll see your nit-pick and raise you

AirFrcd - unless you have Brandon's express permission to post that email, it's a violation of the MBWorld TOU. Ask me how I know...

I hope you have this issue fully resolved to your satisfaction. These sorts of stories are never fun to hear, but frankly it just reinforces to me that damn near every tuner that uses customer cars to R&D is bound to get a black eye every once in awhile. How they respond to those situations of adversity are the true test of their mettle. Sorry to hear that this isn't being handled satisfactorily - hopefully this thread is the gentle nudge needed to make you whole.

Best of luck.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
is it email or PM that is a violation?
Old 04-29-2009, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by moosejaw
is it email or PM that is a violation?
Both are considered private communications - you can't share what someone else said via email or PM on MBWorld without the other person's permission.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:27 PM

03 c32
Talking

Originally Posted by loungn14
I was wondering when this was going to surface....

Best of luck to you my friend, if there is anything that I/we can do for you let me know....

Thanks as always Jake!
Old 04-29-2009, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Wow....that's some . Do any of the SRT boys know about this situation? It may be worth cluing them in as well so it doesn't happen to someone else. I hope this is resolved soon for you.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:17 PM

03 c32
Originally Posted by SilverBulletAMG
Wow....that's some . Do any of the SRT boys know about this situation? It may be worth cluing them in as well so it doesn't happen to someone else. I hope this is resolved soon for you.
Please feel free to post the thread on the SRT forum or LMK how/where to post
Old 04-29-2009, 11:01 PM
SPONSOR

Thanks as always Jake!
We actually a couple of things in the works now that might be right up your alley....I will have to keep you informed....
Old 04-30-2009, 10:34 AM

I DON'T COME HERE ANYMORE
Sorry to hear about the experiance-hope you can get these things sorted out in a hurry-and get the car where you'd like it to be soon!
Old 04-30-2009, 10:39 AM

03 c32
We actually a couple of things in the works now that might be right up your alley....I will have to keep you informed....
Jake:

Keep me posted. Am I guessing correctly? "A couple things", as in twins??
Old 04-30-2009, 10:40 AM

05 C55
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Both are considered private communications - you can't share what someone else said via email or PM on MBWorld without the other person's permission.

he did say it was a paraphrase
Old 04-30-2009, 12:20 PM
SPONSOR

Jake:

Keep me posted. Am I guessing correctly? "A couple things", as in twins??
sent you a pm...

So tell me more about this C3 SC intercooler issue... Did you lose power? Or was the car just acting up on you.....
Old 04-30-2009, 01:30 PM

03 c32
sent you a pm...

So tell me more about this C3 SC intercooler issue... Did you lose power? Or was the car just acting up on you.....
Jake:

I experienced both bucking and power loss with the CODE3 s/c intercooler.
Oh, I failed to mention in the original post, due to the fact that Brandon has yet to return my stock MB s/c intercooler, I had to purchase a brand new one from MB - a mere $1,300 of unnecessary expense, that should have been avoided

You have me frothing at the mouth now, for more than one reason.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C63S,2013 C63 AMG Coupe, 2002 C32 AMG (gone but not forgotten)
While there are always two sides to every story, it sounds like the drama/nightmare/fraud/cheat experiences never end.

As a small business owner, I am appalled to hear how some of these seemingly reputable vendors change overnight, treating their customers like dirt and then getting away with it.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:23 PM

Location: Home is Stockholm, Sweden. But my work takes me around the world, right now I work/live in Laos, South East Asia.
C32 T 2003. Mods? MANY!! :)
Sorry to hear about your situation, hope it all gets solved! But then again, we are talking about Brandon and C3P, and my project started by some part because there total lack of responding to mail/phonecalls. They still owe me 20-30$...But I guess I will never se that $...
Old 04-30-2009, 05:54 PM
SPONSOR

Jake:

Oh, I failed to mention in the original post, due to the fact that Brandon has yet to return my stock MB s/c intercooler, I had to purchase a brand new one from MB - a mere $1,300 of unnecessary expense, that should have been avoided

ouch man...next time talk to me before dropping $ like that....
Old 04-30-2009, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Jake:

This is purely speculative, so please bear that in mind, as I do not know this for fact. That little disclaimer out of the way, I find it strange/odd/coincidental that C3P had an extra OEM intercooler "laying around" that was shipped to OverDrive as an added bonus with his C3P intercooler:

Originally Posted by OverDrive
To start off the story... I discovered my intercooler was leaking (Not the heat exchanger) under the S/C a month ago, thus needed replacement. I first was going to just buy a entire new stock unit from Mercedes, but then I thought well.. if I am spending this amount of money, maybe give C3P Intercooler a shot. I placed the order after speaking with Jerry and Brandon about this part. It seems that if you upgrade your Intercooler Pump (Which I did Cp30) seems to cause the stock intercooler to backup and causing unnecessary pressure, which leads it to crack and leak. (From what I’m told) So a week after I placed the order Brandon calls and said he shipped out a Working stock unit along with the C3P for free, (I had him also order all the gaskets that I would need and thank him for the included stock unit). After Arriving I immediately took both parts out and inspected them. I found that the C3P was damaged due to shipping but not bad just one of the brackets. (I just took it to a machine shop and had them fix it) I just wanted to share what I found so far comparing the two. Now I have the Generation 2 of these C3P intercoolers as the first round had a bunch of fulfillment issues. I was advised that almost all those issue have been address but it might need a tad grinding on the brackets that’s it. Mine also includes a hole for a Boost sensor (if I ever add a Boost Gauge).
Meanwhile C3P still owes AirFrcd his original OEM intercooler, yet to be returned, as months go by...?
Old 04-30-2009, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Well OP I am sorry about your situation as I was and still am about what occurred with C32amg dtm. But negatives in life always bring out a positive at one point or another....there are usually reasons why vendors chose to acknowledge some and ignore some..whatever the case...I wish you the best
Old 04-30-2009, 09:05 PM

03 c32
Angry

Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
This is purely speculative, so please bear that in mind, as I do not know this for fact. That little disclaimer out of the way, I find it strange/odd/coincidental that C3P had an extra OEM intercooler "laying around" that was shipped to OverDrive as an added bonus with his C3P intercooler:

Meanwhile C3P still owes AirFrcd his original OEM intercooler, yet to be returned, as months go by...?
Precisely my thoughts.
My stock IC is sent gratuitously to someone else...

This just gets better and better...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: WARNING: CODE3