C32 Sec cat and resonator delete

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 04:44 PM
aho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 C32 AMG
C32 Sec cat and resonator delete

Went ahead and started the modding process today, figured id show off a few pics.

The car really sounds nice now, I cant believe what I was missing out on, 120 bucks well spent
Old 06-09-2009, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
glad you like it! what size piping did you use to replace the res and 2ndary cats?
Old 06-09-2009, 04:49 PM
aho

03 C32 AMG
I think he used 2.25 for the sec cats then 2.75 from there
Old 06-10-2009, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
a land yacht.
see I have a resonator delete, but I am looking for a more beefy sound. I want to delete my cats but Im not sure how much of a difference that will make...and I also cant pass CA smog without cats....My next option might be to just take off the muffler any suggestions?
Old 06-10-2009, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C55
Originally Posted by C_DirtyTwo
see I have a resonator delete, but I am looking for a more beefy sound. I want to delete my cats but Im not sure how much of a difference that will make...and I also cant pass CA smog without cats....My next option might be to just take off the muffler any suggestions?
Do they do a visual check for cats? Because (according to a smog cert. shop owner in SF) healthy cars will pass smog tests even without cats.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a land yacht.
Originally Posted by RLx02
Do they do a visual check for cats? Because (according to a smog cert. shop owner in SF) healthy cars will pass smog tests even without cats.
oh really? I doubt they do a visual especially on a Benz....Im curious to find out
Old 06-10-2009, 06:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 AMG, Trans Am, Lincoln Navigator, E36 325i
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by aho
Went ahead and started the modding process today, figured id show off a few pics.

The car really sounds nice now, I cant believe what I was missing out on, 120 bucks well spent
Great shots aho! These will most certainly make it to the "Tech Thread". I'm sure there's quite a few members who'd like to know what the factory setup looks like in detail.

Albert Hernandez.

Last edited by AJBoost; 06-10-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:05 PM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by RLx02
Who cares if they do? The car still has 2, that twice as many as they're used to seeing. Like the guy performing the inspection knows the car had 4 to begin with. As long as the computer says it's doing fine there's likely to be no problem whatsoever.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W210 E55 & W204 C63
I think vomit had a thread going a while ago that his, or a friend's of his car passed the Cali smog test without secondary cats. It will be louder, but the thing that started to annoy me was the cruising speed drone
Old 06-12-2009, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a land yacht.
Originally Posted by kindafast
I think vomit had a thread going a while ago that his, or a friend's of his car passed the Cali smog test without secondary cats. It will be louder, but the thing that started to annoy me was the cruising speed drone
Well in that case, I might just have to delete my cats in the next few weeks. And as far as the drone goes, Im 20 years old I want my car to be very low, very loud, and very fast and look kinda cool too
Old 06-12-2009, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I DON'T COME HERE ANYMORE
Well in that case, I might just have to delete my cats in the next few weeks. And as far as the drone goes, Im 20 years old I want my car to be very low, very loud, and very fast and look kinda cool too
Sell the AMG now and buy and evo
GL on the swap-I'm still trying to find a shop to weld man-or try and butcher it myself some weekend
Old 06-12-2009, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a land yacht.
Originally Posted by rockjock
Sell the AMG now and buy and evo
GL on the swap-I'm still trying to find a shop to weld man-or try and butcher it myself some weekend
ewwww
Old 06-14-2009, 09:49 PM

02 C32
I had my resonator and secondary cats removed hoping for a deeper tone. Instead mine sounds raspy and high-pitched; fine for a Honda but not for a Merc. Now I am looking for a decent resonator to put back in the car to attenuate the high frequencies and just leave the rumble.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by MountainStone
I had my resonator and secondary cats removed hoping for a deeper tone. Instead mine sounds raspy and high-pitched; fine for a Honda but not for a Merc. Now I am looking for a decent resonator to put back in the car to attenuate the high frequencies and just leave the rumble.
well thats odd. never heard that complaint ever from anyone ever doing a resonator delete. high-pitched and stuff. huh...that is seriously weird. what size piping did you use to replace the secondary cats and resonator? too small maybe?
Old 06-14-2009, 10:26 PM

02 C32
Originally Posted by jturkel
well thats odd. never heard that complaint ever from anyone ever doing a resonator delete. high-pitched and stuff. huh...that is seriously weird. what size piping did you use to replace the secondary cats and resonator? too small maybe?
Resonator was replaced with 3" stainless and cats were replaced with 2.5" (I think - they look identical to the original pipes where they are welded together). Car is a good bit louder and I don't care for it. The sound is not throaty but nasally; it sounds way too Fast and Furious for my tastes (but I am 38 and long past my 'look at me' stage). I deleted the resonator first and the sound was not bad, but when I deleted the cats it became unsatisfactory for me. I think one or the other would have been the way to go.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
hmm.....well i know a while ago a member named AirFrced put an Aero resonator on his car. if you want to put something back on, i suppose that is an option.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
First I've ever heard of that complaint. Please get some sound clips. Have you head to clips of others with res/rear cats deleted? Does your sound different somehow? I don't get it...
Old 06-15-2009, 12:17 AM

02 C32
I'll get some clips. I haven't heard anybody else's clips. Maybe it's just my own sensibilities; sound is a subjective thing after all...
Old 06-15-2009, 12:22 AM

02 C32
Originally Posted by jturkel
hmm.....well i know a while ago a member named AirFrced put an Aero resonator on his car. if you want to put something back on, i suppose that is an option.
Aero makes some very nice stuff. I had an AeroTurbine muffler on my Tundra and it sounded so awesome I got comments routinely. The muffler itself was polished stainless and gorgeous to behold. I'll have to see if I can track down one of their resonators...
Old 06-15-2009, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
I'll get some clips. I haven't heard anybody else's clips. Maybe it's just my own sensibilities; sound is a subjective thing after all...
True, sound is subjective as to what sounds good or bad. However, up till now it's been unanimous that removing the rear cats and resonator gives a "deeper" sound. That is not really a subjective statement and more a matter of fact.
There is no reason you should have a higher pitched sound, unless you can hear your SC through the exhaust or something. Have you checked out all the welds? From the sounds of it, adding a resonator won't make you happy. You will want to look at different mufflers.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:30 PM

2008 e63 AMG
Exclamation Question on removing secondary cat and resonator

Hey guys I have a 2002 c32 AMG and currently I took the stock muffler off and replaced it with a flowmaster. It sounds good on the outside but too much drone inside around 2500 RPM. I was doing some Research And was thinking about doing a secondary cat and resonator delete with the stock muffler. I have heard the video clips on YouTube and I love the sound with those two things deleted and putting the stock muffler back on. My only concern is how loud is the drone going to be inside the vehicle when crushing on streets or highway with the secondary cats and the resonator deleted?. When I bought the car, it came with the resonator deleted and the drone was not bad,you could barely hear it. Also when the secondary cats are deleted, should I replace them with straight pipes or a x-pipe going to a straight pipe where the resonator would have been. Any suggestions? Thanks