Will this work?--Cooling System Separation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by 320 dreamer
josh i really dont think you need a resovoir for the separation of the coolant system with the cm30 and the let h/e separeting the system should keep your temps way below boiling point. at this point with a 50/50 mix or less or water wetter added you should be fine. with my setup if it doesnt work for you its 5 min back to oem.
to date i have run extended runs in excess of 150 mph and in rush houtr traffic in 100 degree heat and have yet to add any coolant to my h/e. it simply doesnt need it.
what most guys use the h/e resovoir for is to add ice at the drags for quicker cooling. you could always add the c3 resivoir if you really want one
yah. i think i'm just gonna go with the needswings kit
Old 10-09-2009, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 porsche 996 turbo
its a waste of money josh!! all you need are 4 female rubber plugs . 2 large one sfor the line under the resovoir tank and 2 small ones for the line from the i/c to the resovoir. nothing else is needed.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
its a waste of money josh!! all you need are 4 female rubber plugs . 2 large one sfor the line under the resovoir tank and 2 small ones for the line from the i/c to the resovoir. nothing else is needed.
lol. ok. ok. ok. If you PM me the exact parts I need (yes i am so lazy right now and actually running out to the track; I'm late...Hooley is gonna kill me) I'll get on it ASAP. I promise this time (again lol)
Old 10-10-2009, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
Could you provide some pics of the plugs and pics of where they go. Oh, and where can you buy the plugs?
Old 10-10-2009, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
Originally Posted by loudandheard
Could you provide some pics of the plugs and pics of where they go. Oh, and where can you buy the plugs?
if you look at post 20 on here i have fotos of the 2 removed hoses and the plugs. got them at my favorite auto parts store! lowes! look in the plumbing section
josh i dont have the exact sizes. i bought a package of assorted female plugs and had them sitting in my bins. you can even swap the y fitting out for a straight fitting if you want it to better.
and as a side note check your upper rad hose when you are messing under the hood. mine has a rubbed spot were it lays against the fan shroud. almost rubbed thru, had to get a replacement
Old 10-10-2009, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
if you look at post 20 on here i have fotos of the 2 removed hoses and the plugs. got them at my favorite auto parts store! lowes! look in the plumbing section
josh i dont have the exact sizes. i bought a package of assorted female plugs and had them sitting in my bins. you can even swap the y fitting out for a straight fitting if you want it to better.
and as a side note check your upper rad hose when you are messing under the hood. mine has a rubbed spot were it lays against the fan shroud. almost rubbed thru, had to get a replacement
I finally understood what you were saying about the female plugs, I guess I was picturing more of a plug than a cap.

Seems pretty simple, but how do you keep the fluid from draining out and will the fluid stay in the intercooler? I was thinking that the fluid will drain out of the intercooler and I'm not too sure how to refill it, if that's the case.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
for the lazy like me:
http://needswings.com/NeedsWings-Int...t-NWICiso.aspx

email rob first before ordering at rob@needswings.com or sales@needswings.com

the srt6 kit is a little different than the c32 one. the c32 kit is not posted on the website, but he's got it.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
im gonna poke you in the eye josh!! do it my way and send me the diff in cost if that money is burning a hole in your pocket!! or better yet use it to start your dr tire fund to get those 20 et times down!!! oh snap!!!!

i did my swap during a coolant flush so it wasnt an issue. pinch the hose at one end and plug the other the overflow tnk can be lifted and plugged and refilled. shouldnt lose hardly any.

Last edited by 320 dreamer; 10-10-2009 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
im gonna poke you in the eye josh!! do it my way and send me the diff in cost if that money is burning a hole in your pocket!! or better yet use it to start your dr tire fund to get those 20 et times down!!! oh snap!!!!

i did my swap during a coolant flush so it wasnt an issue. pinch the hose at one end and plug the other the overflow tnk can be lifted and plugged and refilled. shouldnt lose hardly any.
haha! hey now. i sat at the red light cursing at it for 8 of those nine seconds in my 60'. haha.

i'm just bad with the coolant system on the car. i'd rather get something ready to go to install then have to fab something up myself a little bit. i think i'll go take a close look at your post and pics about your split setup lol. tires are expensive (hooley, i'm borrowing your tires next time)
Old 10-10-2009, 05:17 PM
aho

03 C32 AMG
would there be any benefit at all to split the system without having an aftermarket heat exchanger?
Old 10-10-2009, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by aho
would there be any benefit at all to split the system without having an aftermarket heat exchanger?
yah. you'll still see a drop in IATs, but it won't be as great if you had a greater volume of coolant/water/waterwetter mixture in a larger heat exchanger.

with the code3 pulley, i dont suspect your IATs are too high and resulting in severe pulling of timing like in this of my car at times. i think you would benefit more from a large heat exchanger first and then splitting.

and while on topic of splitting, i think only one or two C32s have actually split their system. it is much more common with the srt6 guys and some of the slk32 guys.

either way, i would recommend doing it at some point if you must have the absolute coolest temps
Old 10-10-2009, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by jturkel
..There is NO WAY that a C32 can get an additional reservoir in the engine bay unless it is either:

a) Code3's (where it mounts and how thin it is helps)
b) Needswings (not really a reservoir, check out their website)
or
c) smaller airpump needed and relocated...
Such is not necessarily the case.
Discounting for the moment our R170-based SLK32/SRT6 contributors with their radiator-sized aftermarket heat exchanger installations and relatively large underhood areas for reservoirs and whatnot, you’re otherwise correct.
Did you by chance miss Vadim’s OG setup that he designed when with evosport?

Saw it firsthand when he was parting out his former C32. While his technician was installing its dampened ODPS on mine, had a look around the shop to glean some of their techniques. Never been too proud to 'borrow' another man’s good idea :). Have since taken the liberty of replicating his windscreen/headlamp washer reservoir’s ~6 liter capacity workaround to serve as the IC circuit’s fluid supply. It’s easy enough to DIY or sublet for minimal hardware and labor investment. Seldom exceeds 150 degrees Fahrenheit during extended (off-highway) WOT operation.

Unless you’re of mind to fit a trunk-mounted tank such as several quick guys here have done, it’s a worthwhile method of undetectably –to the casual observer- reducing IATs by simply increasing the available cooling medium. Another potential advantage of the atmospherically-vented intercooler fluid supply may be realized from not regularly subjecting the failure-prone Garrett intercooler core to the radiator’s 1.4 bar/20 psi typical working pressure.

reference
Old 10-10-2009, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by splinter
Discounting for the moment our R170-based SLK32/SRT6 contributors with their radiator-sized aftermarket heat exchanger installations and relatively large underhood areas for reservoirs and whatnot, you’re otherwise correct.

Saw it firsthand when he was parting out his former C32. While his technician was installing its dampened ODPS on mine, had a look around the shop to glean some of their techniques. Never been too proud to 'borrow' another man’s good idea . Have since taken the liberty of replicating his windscreen/headlamp washer reservoir’s ~6 liter capacity workaround to serve as the IC circuit’s fluid supply. It’s easy enough to DIY or sublet for minimal hardware and labor investment. Seldom exceeds 150 degrees Fahrenheit during extended (off-highway) WOT operation.

Unless you’re of mind to fit a trunk-mounted tank such as several quick guys here have done, it’s a worthwhile method of undetectably –to the casual observer- reducing IATs by simply increasing the available cooling medium. Another potential advantage of the atmospherically-vented intercooler fluid supply may be realized from not regularly subjecting the failure-prone Garrett intercooler core to the radiator’s 1.4 bar/20 psi typical working pressure.

reference
so he used the windshield wiper reservoir for the reservoir for additional coolant? i read the thread, but wasnt sure.....did he maintain the circuit as one circuit or did he split it into two different ones, as has been popular recently with the srt6 guys?
Old 10-10-2009, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
Originally Posted by splinter

Saw it firsthand when he was parting out his former C32. While his technician was installing its dampened ODPS on mine, had a look around the shop to glean some of their techniques. Never been too proud to 'borrow' another man’s good idea . Have since taken the liberty of replicating his windscreen/headlamp washer reservoir’s ~6 liter capacity workaround to serve as the IC circuit’s fluid supply. It’s easy enough to DIY or sublet for minimal hardware and labor investment. Seldom exceeds 150 degrees Fahrenheit during extended (off-highway) WOT operation.

reference
really good info here. my question to all the c32 owners is ... has anyone measured the space in front of the rad to the grille? the reason i ask is my supercooler is just a aluminium radiator from jegs catalog that fit in the space i have. a srt-6 guru cut the inlet and outlets off welded them up and welded 2 tubes on the side. mine is dual flow but single flow works also. add a petcock drain and you set!
the jegs cat. must have 20 or so rads of all different sizes. surely 1 would fit your space. if not i have a website of a shop that will build you a radiator any size you want in any configuration for approx 350 400$. this mod is most likely the best and cheapest thing you can do to drop iat's and cool your s/c. it should be oneof the first things you do

as for the resovoirs they simply arent needed at all unless your wanting to add ice for racing. with temps in the 150;s you just dont lse any coolant due to high temps. i dont have any additonal tanks and have yet to add any coolant to my i/c setup

Last edited by 320 dreamer; 10-10-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by jturkel
so he used the windshield wiper reservoir for the reservoir for additional coolant? i read the thread, but wasnt sure.....did he maintain the circuit as one circuit or did he split it into two different ones, as has been popular recently with the srt6 guys?
The evosport modification is freestanding, i.e., completely separated from the radiator and its fluid supply.

..my question to all the c32 owners is ... has anyone measured the space in front of the rad to the grille? the reason i ask is my supercooler is just a aluminium radiator from jegs catalog that fit in the space i have. a srt-6 guru cut the inlet and outlets off welded them up and welded 2 tubes on the side. mine is dual flow but single flow works also. add a petcock drain and you set!
the jegs cat. must have 20 or so rads of all different sizes. surely 1 would fit your space. if not i have a website of a shop that will build you a radiator any size you want in any configuration for approx 350 400$. this mod is most likely the best and cheapest thing you can do to drop iat's and cool your s/c. it should be oneof the first things you do

as for the resovoirs they simply arent needed at all unless your wanting to add ice for racing. with temps in the 150;s you just dont lse any coolant due to high temps. i dont have any additonal tanks and have yet to add any coolant to my i/c setup
Read waldig’s SRT6 ‘Super Cooler’ posts from when it was first installed. Woody is a free spirit whose creativity and technical prowess I admire.

Experienced far lower IATs than the conventional LET/C3P type he had used previously. You and several others have proven beyond any doubt that it works remarkably well. Because of its relatively large fluid capacity, it also acts as a de facto oversized reservoir to increase the system’s ‘cooling time’ before again recirculating the fluid to absorb heat from the intercooler core –not coincidentally exactly where it’s most beneficial- in addition to the vastly improved heat dissipation capabilities it provides.

Unfortunately there is insufficient space to install anything similar on the C32, just as with the desirable NeedsWings-style CAI. Resigned to knowing your coupé will always be quicker than my taxi. Its aft seating works marginally better though.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
take some measurements in front of the grille. let me see what i can find
Old 09-08-2010, 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
a land yacht.
HELP!

Im in the process of separating the two, and Im a little confused as to which line to cut off...

is it this one...coming off of the coolant tank...?

..or this one coming off the coolant tank...?

I already separated the other easy one right up front of the engine bay

I've seen so many pictures but its hard to tell the difference between the two
Old 10-24-2010, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 c32 AMG 2012 c250 Coupe
Did you ever get this figured out..?? I am about to do mine in the next couple of weeks..
Old 09-13-2012, 09:28 PM

02 C32 AMG
I have an all stock C32 only thing Im changing right now is the IC pump to a Johnson CM30. If I buy the needswings Isolation kit for the Intercooler would it benefit me? Will there be a noticeable change? Or I'll be ok with the CM30?

Thanks,
Rob
Old 02-19-2013, 03:19 PM

2003 C32 AMG, 2015 RAM 1500 4x4, 2012 Merc GL450
C32 coolant seperation

Here is how I superated my Coolant resorvior with a cobra tank, hardly noticeable and still looks stock Will this work?--Cooling System Separation-20130219_134944.jpg

Will this work?--Cooling System Separation-20130219_134957.jpg
Old 02-19-2013, 04:35 PM

2003 C32
Originally Posted by JamesC32
Here is how I superated my Coolant resorvior with a cobra tank, hardly noticeable and still looks stock Attachment 253603

Attachment 253604
Nice Job. Would you happen to have any more details on that tank? Part number, where to buy? Thanks
Old 02-19-2013, 08:14 PM

2003 C32 AMG, 2015 RAM 1500 4x4, 2012 Merc GL450
coolant seperation

I believe it was a 2003-2006 Cobra, I got it used on ebay for about $30 and got a good gas ball **** to cut off the supply of water from my radiator coolant and bought the new hoses clamps and tee plug from auto zone, it all only costed around $50-$60
Attached Thumbnails Will this work?--Cooling System Separation-20130219_134937.jpg