Warning - entry/ exit function

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 04:50 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C55 AMG
Warning - entry/ exit function

So whatever the function is called that raises and lowers the steering wheel when you exit/ enter.

I have a 2005 C55, 62k miles. I switched this feature on two years ago. A month ago the steering wheel got stuck in the high position. There is a weak plastic coupling that will break with enough use.

Cost to fix - $900.

Fortunately my car was under warranty. So if you have a car with this feature the same age or older, you might want to disable it.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
I thought this was a really cool feature when I first saw it on another car years ago. So naturally when I got this car I had to have it on.

Well, after reading about that connector breaking and seat motors failing, I figured it would really really suck if I got the seat and steering wheel stuck in a really odd/high position. So I turned it off. I'm thin anyway....its not like I need it.

And looking through past maintenance records, it's already been replaced once in my car by the first owner.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:29 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Viper98912
I thought this was a really cool feature when I first saw it on another car years ago. So naturally when I got this car I had to have it on.

Well, after reading about that connector breaking and seat motors failing, I figured it would really really suck if I got the seat and steering wheel stuck in a really odd/high position. So I turned it off. I'm thin anyway....its not like I need it.

And looking through past maintenance records, it's already been replaced once in my car by the first owner.
I drove around for like 3 weeks with the steering wheel all the way up...

And you're right, it's really not hard getting in and out anyway.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
For being somewhat of a compact sedan, I find that the interior offers A LOT of space. I own an econo-compact 2 door, and it's probably about the same size as the C55. I can get in the benz easier than the 2 door, even with the smaller doors. Unless you're a very large guy, you don't really neeeeeed it on if you've set your seat positions well. If you're a high or forward driver, then I can see the issue.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
the motor on mine was stuck for a while. it used to make a "clicking" noise when trying to move up and down. went on forever. had the dealership check it out, and it got rid of the clicking noise but now the motor to move it moves it REALLY slowly. i mean, REALLY slowly. so i dont use it either. i turned off that option of easy entry.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Deactivated the ‘feature’ long ago for just that reason.
All the way up and back works best for me during driving and on entry/exit anyway.

If the automatic door locks had been deprogrammed since the PO’s initial delivery, perhaps their pogo curse could have been averted a while longer. Not a huge fan of MB’s troublesome electronic doodads. How did Honda and Toyota figure that stuff out an eon ago?

Such is the opportunity cost associated with our machines. Nevertheless, it’s a choice several of us will likely make again.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:59 PM

'06 C55 AMG
i got annoyed with this feature since i like to hop in and go. i hate having to wait for the steering wheel and seat to finish moving...
Old 08-01-2009, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic
Well, I am a forward driver (rebuilt right ankle from a motor cycle crash, it doesn't bend much anymore) and abosolutely love the easy entry feature. I have, however, had it fixed twice under warranty. First time was the plastic coupling. Second time they replaced the steering wheel adjustment motor and transmission. Thank God for extended warranties with no deductibles.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
Originally Posted by splinter

If the automatic door locks had been deprogrammed since the PO’s initial delivery, perhaps their pogo curse could have been averted a while longer. Not a huge fan of MB’s troublesome electronic doodads. How did Honda and Toyota figure that stuff out an eon ago?
Do you think the door locks are prone to failure as well?

I have also run into the seat entry programming failing as well.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:44 PM
RES

2005 C55, 1988 260E, 2000 Chevrolet Silverado
I was wondering about this?? Just turned it off today.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:56 PM

02 C32
There are a couple threads here discussing the propensity of the little plastic coupling on the steering wheel adjustment motor to break. A couple members have stated the cost for a replacement coupler is around $4, but the labor costs are outrageous due to the entire dash and center console having to be disassembled to reach the offending part. One member stated that it can be replaced by removing a single piece of the lower dash and carefully working the new coupler into place. A couple of us have asked for clarification from him to no avail. My coupler has broken with the wheel in driving position so I am in no great rush, but if I can ever get some guidance on how to proceed I will attempt the repair myself. As these cars age and warranties lapse I suspect someone will post a DIY in the not-too-distant future. Here's hoping, anyway...
Old 08-01-2009, 03:48 PM
RES

2005 C55, 1988 260E, 2000 Chevrolet Silverado
I say we get some beer and tear into it! lol

Originally Posted by MountainStone
There are a couple threads here discussing the propensity of the little plastic coupling on the steering wheel adjustment motor to break. A couple members have stated the cost for a replacement coupler is around $4, but the labor costs are outrageous due to the entire dash and center console having to be disassembled to reach the offending part. One member stated that it can be replaced by removing a single piece of the lower dash and carefully working the new coupler into place. A couple of us have asked for clarification from him to no avail. My coupler has broken with the wheel in driving position so I am in no great rush, but if I can ever get some guidance on how to proceed I will attempt the repair myself. As these cars age and warranties lapse I suspect someone will post a DIY in the not-too-distant future. Here's hoping, anyway...
Old 08-06-2009, 08:30 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
such a jinx.... this thread is...i read it last wk.

picked up the finally fixed car today feeling all better, started the car, closed the door and clunk. The up-down of the steering column stopped working.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C55
Originally Posted by sammyd
So whatever the function is called that raises and lowers the steering wheel when you exit/ enter.

I have a 2005 C55, 62k miles. I switched this feature on two years ago. A month ago the steering wheel got stuck in the high position. There is a weak plastic coupling that will break with enough use.

Cost to fix - $900.

Fortunately my car was under warranty. So if you have a car with this feature the same age or older, you might want to disable it.

TOO LATE!!!!!

It happened to me about a week ago. Its a part called the dog bone. Cheap part but hella in labor. I'm gonna see if we can take it apart ourselves next week.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:12 AM

02 C32
Originally Posted by RLx02
TOO LATE!!!!!

It happened to me about a week ago. Its a part called the dog bone. Cheap part but hella in labor. I'm gonna see if we can take it apart ourselves next week.
Get out your digital camera and snap a jillion pics when you tear into it!
Old 12-24-2009, 05:08 AM

280S
Angry

Lucky me, I'm having the same problem with my CLK w209 now

RLx02: Did you manage to fix the problem yourself?

I'm out of warranty and not really looking forward to having this fixed at the dealership... So if anyone has any tips, that would be greatly appreciated
Old 12-24-2009, 06:11 AM

2001 C32 AMG
I like this feature but after reading this thread it is making me want to turn it off!

I drive with the seat all the way back anyway (quite tall) and having the street wheel up just makes it that tiny bit easier to hop out and in quickly.. hmm.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
When I first bought my car I made sure to turn off that function. With every thing I read, I knew I didn't want to pay for the repair if it ever happened.

I did keep the automatic lock function on and now I have the pogo lock thing on my rear passenger side door.

I have all the parts to fix every thing, hopefully I can do it all today or in the next couple of days.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:31 AM

2006 C55 AMG White/Ash
I'll be turning this function off. As much as I love this car, I am a bit disappointed that stuff like this fails. MB knows they have a problem with all the failure data and AFAIK they haven't fixed the design, they just put in the same substandard part to "fix" it. Same thing with the heated seats, they have been failing for many years worth of models and yet, the same crap design gets put back in. I expected better, in fact they should fix the tilt thing out of warranty since it's a known problem.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:51 PM

C32 ///AMG
I haven't had any problems with mine (yet) but I guess I should disable it just in case.

How stupid is that? You have to disable all the comfort / convenience features that a car like MB provides for fear that they may fail? How ludicrous.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Marsaydees
Originally Posted by Chazz
I haven't had any problems with mine (yet) but I guess I should disable it just in case.

How stupid is that? You have to disable all the comfort / convenience features that a car like MB provides for fear that they may fail? How ludicrous.
german engineering, ya!
Old 12-24-2009, 10:25 PM

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by Dingleberry
german engineering, ya!
i guess you have to pay if you want to play, ,mine got stuck in te up position and i drove 75miles with it. when it started working again i turned it off hopefully my wife wont mess with the seat
Old 12-25-2009, 11:43 AM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm debating ripping the stinking motorized z bar transmission and replacing it with the clk bs one to get rid of that minor slop inherent in the linkage that the dealer refuses to replace-
Old 12-25-2009, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Chevrolet SS, 2006 Cadillac STS-V
I don't use the easy exit on the seat because I leave it all the way back anyway, but I do really love the steering wheel moving up when I get out. I figure if that dog bone part breaks, I'm sure I can fix it myself.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C55
Originally Posted by 91RS
I don't use the easy exit on the seat because I leave it all the way back anyway, but I do really love the steering wheel moving up when I get out. I figure if that dog bone part breaks, I'm sure I can fix it myself.
Its a 9 hour job quote from the dealership i believe because you have to take the whole dash apart. I've been driving with my steering wheel at the highest position for like 1/2 a year now LOL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Warning - entry/ exit function