Datalog!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
Hey Josh,

I just recently got the Rev Application for my iPhone and I seem to be running about 20lbs max boost as well.

I have to do more testing and get you more numbers so we can compare. Love the app., it's pretty cool for something on my phone. I can record up to 3 metrics at once, save them to a file, email it to myself and then it opens in Excel.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Gramma_Benz
Hey Josh,

I just recently got the Rev Application for my iPhone and I seem to be running about 20lbs max boost as well.

I have to do more testing and get you more numbers so we can compare. Love the app., it's pretty cool for something on my phone. I can record up to 3 metrics at once, save them to a file, email it to myself and then it opens in Excel.
awesome! glad to hear you like the app! wish i had an iphone lol.

yah i have to do some recording and mess with the settings to record other stuff like dyno numbers and acceleration stats.....
Old 08-31-2009, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Drove hard to work today (running late) and logged the run. I recorded rpm, IAT, boost, coolant temp. I was pretty impressed with the temps I had running hard through stop and go traffic. Coolant never went above 192 and IAT sat at 99/100 the entire time and spiked at 111 for a couple seconds. Outside temp was mid 70s which is very cool for down here.
Josh, for your boost setup the manual has a list of what each elevation should be set too. It's a good quick reference. Since I'm at (or below in some cases) sea level mine was at the default which was 14.7 I believe.

Last edited by SilverBulletAMG; 08-31-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by SilverBulletAMG
Drove hard to work today (running late) and logged the run. I recorded rpm, IAT, boost, coolant temp. I was pretty impressed with the temps I had running hard through stop and go traffic. Coolant never went above 192 and IAT sat at 99/100 the entire time and spiked at 111 for a couple seconds. Outside temp was mid 70s which is very cool for down here.
Josh, for your boost setup the manual has a list of what each elevation should be set too. It's a good quick reference. Since I'm at (or below in some cases) sea level mine was at the default which was 14.7 I believe.
wow those are some nice IATs! and you havent even split the system either!

yah i saw the elevation thing. i wanted to use their method of calibrating it m keeping the motor off and having my sensor detect atmospheric, but i wasnt getting what i considered to be accurate for atm pressure (9.1psi lol)......so i just used my elevation and determined the atmospheric pressure to be 13.89psi (elevation 1295ft)
Old 08-31-2009, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2002 C32 AMG, 2013 GLK 350/4, 2015 E63S AMG Wagon
Originally Posted by jturkel

yah i saw the elevation thing. i wanted to use their method of calibrating it m keeping the motor off and having my sensor detect atmospheric, but i wasnt getting what i considered to be accurate for atm pressure (9.1psi lol)......so i just used my elevation and determined the atmospheric pressure to be 13.89psi (elevation 1295ft)
13.89 PSI at 1295 FT is a bit low. Using a simple method, it should be more like 14.02. Not a big difference, just trying to help.
I had done some more data-logging today and got up to 19 PSI boost. I Have compared the Zeitronix MAP numbers and OBD2 MAP numbers and they are in sync. With 6 OBD2 params being logged, the Zeitronix MAP readings are much more frequent.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Lenin
13.89 PSI at 1295 FT is a bit low. Using a simple method, it should be more like 14.02. Not a big difference, just trying to help.
I had done some more data-logging today and got up to 19 PSI boost. I Have compared the Zeitronix MAP numbers and OBD2 MAP numbers and they are in sync. With 6 OBD2 params being logged, the Zeitronix MAP readings are much more frequent.
just used this calculator and gave me the value http://www.calctool.org/CALC/phys/default/pres_at_alt

1295ft converted to 394.71600m and it gave me 13.8902psi

glad to hear the OBDII is accurate. the results with the Zeitronix MAP readings are expected....glad to hear its working well for ya!
Old 08-31-2009, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2002 C32 AMG, 2013 GLK 350/4, 2015 E63S AMG Wagon
just used this calculator and gave me the value http://www.calctool.org/CALC/phys/default/pres_at_alt

1295ft converted to 394.71600m and it gave me 13.8902psi

glad to hear the OBDII is accurate. the results with the Zeitronix MAP readings are expected....glad to hear its working well for ya!
I used this one http://www.turblex.com/altitude/index.cfm
and this one http://www.pdblowers.com/t8-elevatio...c-pressure.php
Old 08-31-2009, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
I'm not going to split the system, no need. Between the upgraded HE, pump, modified T-stat, 30/70ish coolant mix, and two bottles of water wetter, my coolant temps have been amazing.
Once I get the time to wrap my intake, that should get the numbers even better on that end.
I'm going to set mine up like this and see how it reads boost vs. default.
To compute a Boost Calibration correction factor:
Connect DashDyno to your vehicle.
Ensure your vehicle is not running.
Select the Preferences > Boost Calibration menu option.
Enter Boost Cal – enter 0.
Select the Data Logger > Meter 2 screen.
Press OK.
Live or Playback – select View Live Data.
Setup Method – select Setup Screen Manually.
Parameter 1 – select Boost Pressure and press OK.
Press MENU.
The boost pressure parameter will display. This is your Boost Cal correction factor. With the Boost Cal preference at 0 and the vehicle off, the Boost Pressure value shown is atmospheric pressure.
Enter the boost calibration pressure value measured above.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
I'm not going to split the system, no need. Between the upgraded HE, pump, modified T-stat, 30/70ish coolant mix, and two bottles of water wetter, my coolant temps have been amazing.
Once I get the time to wrap my intake, that should get the numbers even better on that end.
I'm going to set mine up like this and see how it reads boost vs. default.
To compute a Boost Calibration correction factor:
Connect DashDyno to your vehicle.
Ensure your vehicle is not running.
Enter Boost Cal – enter 0.
Select the Data Logger > Meter 2 screen.
Press OK.
Live or Playback – select View Live Data.
Setup Method – select Setup Screen Manually.
Parameter 1 – select Boost Pressure and press OK.
Press MENU.
The boost pressure parameter will display. This is your Boost Cal correction factor. With the Boost Cal preference at 0 and the vehicle off, the Boost Pressure value shown is atmospheric pressure.
Enter the boost calibration pressure value measured above.

yah thats exactly how i do it. when i first get into my car and do that, i get a 0 read out. then i turn on my car, get a certain number, then shut off the motor, and get a different number, which is usually 9.1 psi. I've given up on calibrating it that way and just decided to use the elevation method lol.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:17 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
jturkel, btw...any pic of how you setup the dashdyno? wire placement, mount, etc.

i just sold my REs. now I can consider this OR the wi-fi + itouch or iphone route. since I could also use a new phone. LOL
Old 09-01-2009, 01:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by FrankW
jturkel, btw...any pic of how you setup the dashdyno? wire placement, mount, etc.

i just sold my REs. now I can consider this OR the wi-fi + itouch or iphone route. since I could also use a new phone. LOL
congrats on the sale.....

i'll try to get hold of a digital camera as mine is broken and take pics for you.

if you can visualize it, i have it mounted on the windshield with the windshield mount to the left of the steering wheel angled a little bit towards me so i can read it. it is wired down the left side of the dash and plugged into the OBDII. the wire is almost invisible as i was able to nearly hide it in the crevice on the side of the dash.

perhaps Trevor can post pics of where he mounted his?....i'll do mine asap, but he may beat me to it if he has a cam
Old 09-01-2009, 04:33 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
awesome, thanks. and is it powered by the odbII port?

oh oh...i meant that bluetooth thing btw.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by FrankW
awesome, thanks. and is it powered by the odbII port?

oh oh...i meant that bluetooth thing btw.
yes. powered by OBDII. cord is really only visible for about a couple inches on top of dash and then disappears where i tucked in and is plugged in to the OBDII underneath.

a bluetooth datalogger? is that what you are referring to?
Old 09-01-2009, 04:58 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
yes. powered by OBDII. cord is really only visible for about a couple inches on top of dash and then disappears where i tucked in and is plugged in to the OBDII underneath.

a bluetooth datalogger? is that what you are referring to?

yea, this thing https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...bdii-wlan.html

friend already ripped the REV program and able to run it, so I just need the module and the itouch or iphone for cheap. lol around the same price too and would be nice upgrade for my phone if i choose to go iphone route. my friend does have an itouch he rarely use and I could borrow it. just deciding what to do first.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
yah thats exactly how i do it. when i first get into my car and do that, i get a 0 read out. then i turn on my car, get a certain number, then shut off the motor, and get a different number, which is usually 9.1 psi. I've given up on calibrating it that way and just decided to use the elevation method lol.
I don't know why it would be giving you any issues. I checked mine again this morning and it came out exactly the same. Double checked it again after I got to work and shut 'er down.
When you have it plugged into the OBDII and have the key in the ON position (two clicks clockwise, or just before turning the engine over) what is it reading for boost? To get an ACCURATE number you need to of course turn on the dashdyno, hit menu and get to the connect screen, connect to the car again (even if you were already connected) and then go check the log on boost...all while the car it not running and just sitting in the on position.
Whatever number you get there (ie mine was -14.7) is what you need to have it set to manually. If you don't get the same number every single time, you're either doing it wrong or the unit is dorked up. Odds are you are looking at old data when you first turn it on and aren't reconnecting it from scratch, which you need to when calibrating. Once it's all setup then you don't need to reconnect each time, or shouldn't have too at least.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
I don't know why it would be giving you any issues. I checked mine again this morning and it came out exactly the same. Double checked it again after I got to work and shut 'er down.
When you have it plugged into the OBDII and have the key in the ON position (two clicks clockwise, or just before turning the engine over) what is it reading for boost? To get an ACCURATE number you need to of course turn on the dashdyno, hit menu and get to the connect screen, connect to the car again (even if you were already connected) and then go check the log on boost...all while the car it not running and just sitting in the on position.
Whatever number you get there (ie mine was -14.7) is what you need to have it set to manually. If you don't get the same number every single time, you're either doing it wrong or the unit is dorked up. Odds are you are looking at old data when you first turn it on and aren't reconnecting it from scratch, which you need to when calibrating. Once it's all setup then you don't need to reconnect each time, or shouldn't have too at least.
and you got that 14.7 value after setting the boost preference to zero?

thats exactly what i'm doing. i put the key in position two right before motor turns on, connect it to the ECU, calibrate the boost to zero, then go to live data, boost, and i get zero every time lol.....its weird. maybe i'll try and make a vid of it and post it, and you can see what i'm doing wrong....
Old 09-01-2009, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
and you got that 14.7 value after setting the boost preference to zero?

thats exactly what i'm doing. i put the key in position two right before motor turns on, connect it to the ECU, calibrate the boost to zero, then go to live data, boost, and i get zero every time lol.....its weird. maybe i'll try and make a vid of it and post it, and you can see what i'm doing wrong....
No don't set it to zero, go with whatever number it shows you. For example mine, with the car off, connected, config through boost setting, shows -14.7. That is the base number I use. If its at zero it will be all dorked up.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
No don't set it to zero, go with whatever number it shows you. For example mine, with the car off, connected, config through boost setting, shows -14.7. That is the base number I use. If its at zero it will be all dorked up.
but it says in the manual that it comes pre-calibrated at 14.7, which is why when your car is off it says -14.7. It is subracting that number from 0. Which is why when i set mine to 0, i still get 0, meaning we are using the same method to check the atmospheric pressure.

however, it says in the manual to calibrate it, you are suppose to adjust the preference boost to 0 (like i have done) so there is no calibration (0 = no calibration). then measure the pressure with the car off to measure the atmospheric. and then THAT number (atmospheric) is the number you input into the boost preference menu to properly calibrate.

idk....i just calculated the air pressure at my elevation and decided to leave it at that lol
Old 09-02-2009, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
however, it says in the manual to calibrate it, you are suppose to adjust the preference boost to 0 (like i have done) so there is no calibration (0 = no calibration). then measure the pressure with the car off to measure the atmospheric. and then THAT number (atmospheric) is the number you input into the boost preference menu to properly calibrate.
Bingo, and that's what gave me -14.7..which also matches the deafuat sea level and makes sense since that's exactly what my elevation is. Your number shouldn't be too far off from that. lol
Old 09-02-2009, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Bingo, and that's what gave me -14.7..which also matches the deafuat sea level and makes sense since that's exactly what my elevation is. Your number shouldn't be too far off from that. lol
lol when i set the preferences to zero to see what i get for atmospheric pressure, i just get zero lol.....looks like there is no pressure here oh well, i'll just keep it as the atmospheric inputted for my elevation calculation
Old 12-05-2009, 03:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
just saw 20.7 psi at 129 IAT in 3rd gear. 91 octane. ambient temps were about 45 degrees. let off before i fully redlined third. if anyone wants to see the datalog, lemme know. otherwise, i'm just lazy and wont upload lol.