Datalog!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 06:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Datalog!!!

Well, most of you know Trevor (silverbulletamg) and I put together a group buy a while ago for getting a gauge and/or software for datalogging and monitoring "stuff."

So, I figured I would share my first datalog. Hopefully you will all be able to read it as I am new with the software.

For the record, it was recorded when the ambient temperature was 88 degrees F.

The first peak (or sets, as you see below when i zoom in) under boost (psi) shows a pull starting in low first gear (easing into it or else i'd have traction problems), going through second, and then stopping midway in third i think at 80.

then i jumped on it again at the very bottom of second gear (though not full throttle) just to see what kind of numbers i get when not downshifting into the optimal gear for that speed (definitely first, i think i was going 15 mph lol)

lemme know your thoughts

i run 91 octane and have headers, both which lower my boost (less aggressive tune b/c of the 91). i have not gotten a retune since my headers yet though (preheader numbers on dynodynamics = 350whp, 359 wtq). as noted in graph, max boost hit was 18.6 psi. Not sure if the lower-than-expected number is due to the gas, headers, less aggressive tune, a boost leak as Rob of Needswings claims our gaskets leak above 14 or 15 (as many of you know and some have installed these gaskets). So I will be installing the high pressure gaskets to prevent a leak whether i have one or not. or perhaps, a low boost number due to the high ambient temperature.

and let me know if you want me to datalog something in particular! i can check to see if our cars give out that info via OBDII and post graphs of what you want to see (provided again that that info is made available via OBDII)

enjoy!

Last edited by jturkel; 08-30-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:25 AM
aho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 C32 AMG
I can't view the charts to well on my phone, but how are the IAT's? The getting above the safe range and pulling timing?

The gaskets that you speak of, are there the cork ones from needswings?

With the 185 shouldn't you be seeing 21psi? I know you said the headers tend to lower boost pressure, how do you get the car back up to 21? Retune?

Thanks for posting all the info, I'll have to give it a better look from my PC in the morning.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2002 C32 AMG, 2013 GLK 350/4, 2015 E63S AMG Wagon
How does AFR numbers look? Is the DashDyno recording it correctly?
Old 08-30-2009, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by aho
I can't view the charts to well on my phone, but how are the IAT's? The getting above the safe range and pulling timing?

The gaskets that you speak of, are there the cork ones from needswings?

With the 185 shouldn't you be seeing 21psi? I know you said the headers tend to lower boost pressure, how do you get the car back up to 21? Retune?

Thanks for posting all the info, I'll have to give it a better look from my PC in the morning.
I was driving really conservatively last night and it was extra "cool" at 88 degrees lol. The IATs were between 108-113 until I went WOT. I went through two and a half gears and the IAT went up to about 152, then slowly worked its way downward to the mid 120s.

Note that these temps are a little cooler than I have seen. I normally drive when its 115 outside. When THIS has been the case, normal driving conditions i see IATs in the 130s and low 140s and then under WOT they jump to 160 the region and take a little longer to cool back down.

Yes, the gaskets I speak of are the cork ones.
http://needswings.com/Intake-Manifol...IMgaskets.aspx

I was under the impression that with the:
code3 and 178: boost pressure should be around 17
181: 19-20
185:22+

Now why is mine low? Well it COULD be a boost leak, but I dont hear one. Gaskets will be replaced regardless.

It could be the headers, which lower the boost because of less back pressure. Note that this is NOT a bad thing. This is actually a good thing. I didn't lose power. I picked up power with the headers and because of less back pressure and thus less boost, that is less stress on the motor.

the 91 octane out here has been tested to be at about 87, so I run a conservative aggressive tune if that makes sense lol. Because I don't have 93 octane, that definitely has something to do with running less boost, not to mention the high temperatures here

Now when it gets colder, I feel I will no doubt have more power and more boost b.c of the colder/denser air, so I should see a jump then.

And I will be getting a retune shortly after I finish my cooling mods, so I might see a little more there as well.

I will also get my car redyno'd and I will have the computer monitor my boost levels to ensure that I have calibrated my device correctly (my only other concern) as I simply used my altitude to calculate the atmospheric pressure so I get a readout of just the gauge pressure.

Originally Posted by Lenin
How does AFR numbers look? Is the DashDyno recording it correctly?
I actually do NOT have a wideband yet. I will be getting one shortly so I can monitor the A/Fs. It is supposed to be able to monitor them if you have a wideband O2 installed. As soon as I do that, I will update.

For the record, I had my car originally tuned on a dyno so my A/Fs should be good. Possibly running a little richer than normal because haven't retuned since headers.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:41 PM
aho

03 C32 AMG
Do you know if Trevor has installed his yet? If so, since you have the same mods, what boost pressure is he seeing? I understand that making more power at a lesser psi is a good thing, but imagine how much more power you could have at 22+.

Very cool to see how in depth you are on the cars vital stats, i honestly dont understand as much about these things as you do, but I'm learning more each day. Thanks Josh

PS. you think I should replace my gaskets even tho im only at roughly 17psi?
Old 08-30-2009, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by aho
Do you know if Trevor has installed his yet? If so, since you have the same mods, what boost pressure is he seeing? I understand that making more power at a lesser psi is a good thing, but imagine how much more power you could have at 22+.

Very cool to see how in depth you are on the cars vital stats, i honestly dont understand as much about these things as you do, but I'm learning more each day. Thanks Josh

PS. you think I should replace my gaskets even tho im only at roughly 17psi?
Trevor HAS installed his. I believe he is seeing just over 19 but claiming he should peak over 20 (so i'm guessing he hasnt seen that yet but should when it cools down).

this is why i'm not too worried about the number because his is similar to mine. so i think it's pretty comparable. could be the gas difference for me as well as the heat.

i'd be curious to see what others' boost readings are as I haven't seen to many reportings of these with the C32 guys.

I know my buddy with an SRT6 with a 178 and needswings intake and 100 octane tune was seeing 18psi. That particularly intake has been known to add a pound of boost or two and with his 100 octane he should see more (Evan, if you read this, feel free to chime in on your car. i know you don't frequent here often anymore).

Should you change gaskets? Eh.....if you want. I don't know if you have a boost leak, nor I for that matter. I tend to think I don't only because I dyno so high on a low reading dyno. If i dyno'd really low, then perhaps I'd consider seriously having a boost leak, or if my boost suddenly tapered off up top, but it doesnt.

but on the other side, I mean they're 20 bucks. There is a DIY thread here: https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...s-gaskets.html

and it looks easy to do (and no i'm actually not a good/skilled person with tools). so if you're bored, why not? but i doubt you have a leak.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by aho
Do you know if Trevor has installed his yet?
I just hooked mine up yesterday afternoon and went for a quick spin. My boost was right at 19/20 through 2nd gear which is pretty much right on. The advertised 22+ is MAX boost and does not account for extra breathing (intake/exhaust work/headers/etc) and you also have to keep in mind the refresh rate of the data. The max shown on the data logger could be just before/after max boost was reached. These also need to be calibrated to read accurately depending on elevation and about 200 pages worth of additional reading to fine tune.
We have barely scratched the surface as to what these DashDyno's are capable of doing. I look forward to those of us from the group buy matching up our settings and comparing the numbers.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I see similar numbers as jturkel with my data logger. With 181 pulley and no headers I get to 18 PSI. RPM ranges from 5938 - 6116 and AFR from 11.9 - 12.1. I do however see AFRs go as low as 11.3 at 17 PSI and my IATs go as high as 186. Next week all my files and the ECU will be on their way to Jerry for a re-tune.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
I see similar numbers as jturkel with my data logger. With 181 pulley and no headers I get to 18 PSI. RPM ranges from 5938 - 6116 and AFR from 11.9 - 12.1. I do however see AFRs go as low as 11.3 at 17 PSI and my IATs go as high as 186. Next week all my files and the ECU will be on their way to Jerry for a re-tune.
thats fine. better go richer than go leaner. in fact, you should be running richer if you have a tune and pulley for safety issues.

IATs as high as 186? What conditions get you do this? Highway? Traffic? Aggressive driving?

What cooling mods do you have if any?

Also, what wideband setup are you using?
Old 08-30-2009, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
if you will do the coolant separation you should get approx 15 to 20 degrees cooler iat's. simple and well worth it.

also arent you becoming a doctor? better get better with those tools!!!! j/k
Old 08-30-2009, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jturkel
thats fine. better go richer than go leaner. in fact, you should be running richer if you have a tune and pulley for safety issues.

IATs as high as 186? What conditions get you do this? Highway? Traffic? Aggressive driving?

What cooling mods do you have if any?

Also, what wideband setup are you using?
My normal AFR is right at 14.7. I start running richer at boost levels of 6 and above. I purchased the data logger so that I can tune it as close to the limit as possible while monitoring the data for safety purposes.
I started this run with IAT being 136F at 42 MPH. Outside temp. was 99F. I was driving aggressively through light traffic for like 20 mins. Then entered Garden State Parkway and started my "recording session". Got up to 106 MPH and 18 boost at 6116 RPM at full throttle.
I have a Code3 HE and a CM30 pump. I think that my problem is the fact that the car is so low to the ground and I have a Rieger bumper. All of that may be limiting the amount of air flow into the engine bay. Everything is working well however. I got to 186F from 136F in 10 seconds and it took 20 seconds to get back to 140F. It's just my base is higher than I think it should be. IAT does mirror my ECT behavior and I'm looking into separating the cooling system from the IC system. Or may be it's because the color of the car Magma Red.

For Wideband I use Zeitronix O2 sensor and the ZT-2 controller. The bong is welded into the downpipe. I also use their EGT probe welded into the header. In addition, I'm using Zeitronix MAP sensor taped into the Y-pipe. All of that is connected to the DashDaq.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
My normal AFR is right at 14.7. I start running richer at boost levels of 6 and above. I purchased the data logger so that I can tune it as close to the limit as possible while monitoring the data for safety purposes.
I started this run with IAT being 136F at 42 MPH. Outside temp. was 99F. I was driving aggressively through light traffic for like 20 mins. Then entered Garden State Parkway and started my "recording session". Got up to 106 MPH and 18 boost at 6116 RPM at full throttle.
I have a Code3 HE and a CM30 pump. I think that my problem is the fact that the car is so low to the ground and I have a Rieger bumper. All of that may be limiting the amount of air flow into the engine bay. Everything is working well however. I got to 186F from 136F in 10 seconds and it took 20 seconds to get back to 140F. It's just my base is higher than I think it should be. IAT does mirror my ECT behavior and I'm looking into separating the cooling system from the IC system. Or may be it's because the color of the car Magma Red.

For Wideband I use Zeitronix O2 sensor and the ZT-2 controller. The bong is welded into the downpipe. I also use their EGT probe welded into the header. In addition, I'm using Zeitronix MAP sensor taped into the Y-pipe. All of that is connected to the DashDaq.
you have a bong welded on your car? no wonder your iat's are so high!!
Old 08-30-2009, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 320 dreamer
you have a bong welded on your car? no wonder your iat's are so high!!
Freudian slip. I have a bung welded on my car.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
if you will do the coolant separation you should get approx 15 to 20 degrees cooler iat's. simple and well worth it.

also arent you becoming a doctor? better get better with those tools!!!! j/k
haha.....i should clarify. i know my way with tools, particularly those involved with biochemical stuff, but i'm not that handy around the car outside of basics (messin with pulleys, plugs and wires, fluid changes, etc.

i'm doing a custom coolant separation this week. should have pics up soon. and yes i know i've said that for a while now, but now im serious lol

yah i've noticed the same with the ECT and IATs. the split should definitely help.

interesting thing you did with the boost. Isn't the DashDaq capable of reading boost via the OBDII connection? or did you tap the y-pipe to confirm its accuracy or to perhaps get a quicker refresh rate and thus a greater number readout by reading it off an auxiliary sensor?
Old 08-30-2009, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
btw josh the dual nut for the tensioner is a wash. no threads showing for the 2nd nut!
Old 08-30-2009, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
btw josh the dual nut for the tensioner is a wash. no threads showing for the 2nd nut!
wait. so it did or didnt work? i'm confused. explain lol. PM me.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
no threads for 2 nuts . couldnt do it. used the 1 nut and slipped the belt off. hope the c3 will give me a little more room to reinstall or its the new tensioner route
Old 08-30-2009, 09:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 c32
Freudian slip. I have a bung welded on my car.
LOL - That is HILARIOUS
Old 08-30-2009, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
no threads for 2 nuts . couldnt do it. used the 1 nut and slipped the belt off. hope the c3 will give me a little more room to reinstall or its the new tensioner route
crap. so how did that guy who gave you the idea do it? i'm confused.

i guess i need to get a new tensioner assembly then i've i'm going to install my tstat and get the pulley saver kit. lol. damn
Old 08-30-2009, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
he was just giving ideas. nothing wrong with his
Old 08-30-2009, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
he was just giving ideas. nothing wrong with his
oh. damn lol.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
jturkel - cool that you're datalogging, thanks for sharing the info! Are you logging ignition timing advance as well? If not, you should be...

As for the boost questions and observations above - Silver's on the money... the theoretical max boost of a S/C setup isn't likely to be achieved in 99.99% of most driving. It's also variable based on intake mods (less restriction = more boost) and exhaust work (less restriction = less boost).

FWIW, I datalogged 20.7 psi at the track on a cool fall east-coast day back when I was using the 181mm kit. You really need to be WOT, max load at the top of 3rd (ideally 4th) to see what max boost you're making with your current setup and with the current atmospheric conditions.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jturkel
interesting thing you did with the boost. Isn't the DashDaq capable of reading boost via the OBDII connection? or did you tap the y-pipe to confirm its accuracy or to perhaps get a quicker refresh rate and thus a greater number readout by reading it off an auxiliary sensor?
Yes, DashDaq reads the OEM MAP data. I mainly did it to get data at faster rates since OBD2 has its limits. I also had my engine apart at the time and that made it easy to tap the Y-pipe. I haven't compared the numbers to see if they differ, but that's on my list. I need to learn more about how Zeitronix calculates the atmospheric pressure and compensates for variations in altitude. With the OBD2 MAP reading I just subtract 14.7 to get my vacuum/boost. How does it work on DashDyno?
Old 08-30-2009, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
jturkel - cool that you're datalogging, thanks for sharing the info! Are you logging ignition timing advance as well? If not, you should be...

As for the boost questions and observations above - Silver's on the money... the theoretical max boost of a S/C setup isn't likely to be achieved in 99.99% of most driving. It's also variable based on intake mods (less restriction = more boost) and exhaust work (less restriction = less boost).

FWIW, I datalogged 20.7 psi at the track on a cool fall east-coast day back when I was using the 181mm kit. You really need to be WOT, max load at the top of 3rd (ideally 4th) to see what max boost you're making with your current setup and with the current atmospheric conditions.
i'll datalog ignition timing advance, though i dont know much about what kind of variable will be looking for. could you perhaps provide me with some insight as to what variables i should be looking for? i understand the concepts behind pulling and adding timing, but not actually seeing the numerical values

yah i figured i would see the theoretical highest boost now considering all the factors i have listed. still not sure if a boost leak from the stock gaskets is possible or even likely, but i will assume not.

i agree with you 100% on intake and exhaust mods. my sentiments exactly.

thanks for the input on your experiences! i'll have to go through third when it cools down to see what i'm working with. what other mods are you working with?
Old 08-30-2009, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Yes, DashDaq reads the OEM MAP data. I mainly did it to get data at faster rates since OBD2 has its limits. I also had my engine apart at the time and that made it easy to tap the Y-pipe. I haven't compared the numbers to see if they differ, but that's on my list. I need to learn more about how Zeitronix calculates the atmospheric pressure and compensates for variations in altitude. With the OBD2 MAP reading I just subtract 14.7 to get my vacuum/boost. How does it work on DashDyno?
on the dashdyno, you can input the atmospheric pressure and it automatically subtracts it from the total pressure, reading out the gauge pressure. you set the adjusted pressure to 0 with the motor off and then it reads off the atmospheric pressure. then this value is put in as the value for the atmospheric pressure and is subtracted. for me, the atmospheric pressure is about 13.9psi. (elevation here is 1295 i think)

reads boost through the ECU which is why i wondered if you were using an auxiliary input/sensor to monitor your boost to get the faster readings. obviously, if you/i monitor less things via OBDII gauge, it will have faster refresh rates for that particularly variable being monitored. when i monitor 1 vs 2 vs 4 vs 6, there are noticeable differences in value refresh rates

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Datalog!!!