C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

How much coolant will I lose installing intercooler pump?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 06:51 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
GL 350 Bluetec
How much coolant will I lose installing intercooler pump?

Question as stated above. I/C pump is done for and I am installing a Johnson CM30. I read through the intercooler pump how-tos and feel pretty confident that I can handle it. I am wondering how much coolant I am going to lose. Like is the EPA going to come report me because I left a lake of coolant? Should I go buy 10 jugs of antifreeze? Do I need a large bucket or just something small? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
if you ever plan on upgrading your heat exchange...i would do it all at once. I just drained the whole thing. Even with the whole system drained, one bottle of oem mercedes coolant is enough to fill the whole system assuming your going 50/50 mix.

Its recommeneded you use Mercedes oem coolants since its contains special additives that isn't found in regular anti freeze.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 porsche 996 turbo
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
if you ever plan on upgrading your heat exchange...i would do it all at once. I just drained the whole thing. Even with the whole system drained, one bottle of oem mercedes coolant is enough to fill the whole system assuming your going 50/50 mix.

Its recommeneded you use Mercedes oem coolants since its contains special additives that isn't found in regular anti freeze.
i have to disagree. the manual calls for 15 qts of coolant. the oem comes in gal jugs. so you need 2 jugs oem antifreeze (8 qts) and 2 gal jugs pure distilled water (8qts) to mix and be able to add the proper amount if the system is flushed. total will be 16 qts. the m/b coolant is sold unmixed so distilled water is needed to mix
if you are doing the pump or the heat exchanger its a great time to flush the system and refill with fresh coolant.

dont forget to salvage the oem plug from the toasted pump it will be needed for the cm30 and keeps the oem wiring harness from being hacked up
Old 09-10-2009, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
thanks for clearing that up, i just went off splinters diy...so i just used one. seems to be fine for me.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 porsche 996 turbo
being in cali it most likely wont be an issue. here in tn we can get temps in the teens during the winter so i need the proper coolant mix.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55
If you're just changing the IC pump you don't really lose much coolant. I didn't drain the system as many people do. I used a small oil catch pan and there was only about an half inch of coolant on the bottom when I was done. It took about half a bottle of coolant to bring it back up to where it should be.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by 02C32guy
If you're just changing the IC pump you don't really lose much coolant. I didn't drain the system as many people do. I used a small oil catch pan and there was only about an half inch of coolant on the bottom when I was done. It took about half a bottle of coolant to bring it back up to where it should be.
+1

If you are only replacing the IC pump coolant loss should be minimal if you clamp the input and output hoses. Put a pan underneath the pump when removing and replace the volume collected in the pan with an equal volume of fresh coolant at the correct dilution.

However, also check the coolant level in the reservoir. You have a 2002 C32 - has the coolant ever been replaced / flushed? Make sure you haven't lost much and check the color/condition of the coolant also. As stated by others above, you may want to completely drain the coolant and replace with fresh coolant.
Along the same lines as stated above, if you are running a 185mm overdrive pulley, wouldn't be worth your time to install a larger heat exchanger? How has the motor performed this summer with the larger pulley and stock heat exchanger?
Old 09-10-2009, 08:08 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
GL 350 Bluetec
Well the stock pump is inoperative, car pulls boost once I have been driving for a little and using the throttle. So I am just trying to get the car roadworthy again for now. I am looking into doing a complete flush but getting the car functioning is priority for the time being.

One of these days ill get around to replacing the heat exchanger. I have raced in a couple of autocrosses over the summer and took some highway on-ramps rapidly and the car felt powerful the whole time. Of course I also drive Subarus where the air-air intercooler sits right on top of a piping hot motor so do the math.