Muffler delete....any gains?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 11:33 AM
aho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 C32 AMG
Muffler delete....any gains?

Ive been searching around all morning for a thread on the subject and havnt found any straight answers. Ive got the secondary cat and resonator delete and was curious if deleting the muffler and going with straight pipes would be beneficial at all.

Discuss
Old 09-16-2009, 11:36 AM

2003 SL500, 2005 CLK55
I had removed my muffler and my rear res. It makes a difference in performance but is extremely loud.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:44 AM

C32 AMG
Do you have some Soundcheck?
Old 09-16-2009, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
I would imagine that would sound terrible.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
it probably would not sound good. i would not delete it. if you want to mess with your muffler, have a competent muffler shop open the muffler, remove the packing, then weld it back up. it shouldn't cost more than a few hundred and will probably sound better......or you could drop more money and get an eisenmann muffler for the c32, but those are $$$ ( i think like 900+ new?)

or.....just get some headers!....and you'll get a nice sound and power

as far as gains for the muffler delete......i really don't think you'll see anything now. the stock c32 exhaust manifolds are the major restriction and are before the muffler obviously. without fixing that major bottleneck by replacing them with headers, you will likely see no power gains in exhaust mods.....now once/if you do headers, you might see some small picks up by doing resonator delete, secondary cat delete, high flow primaries, and messing with the muffler because the major bottleneck has been fixed.

soundclips

eisenmann: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGIOmhc6u-Y

do not do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av_iJ...eature=related

Last edited by jturkel; 09-16-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
damn the second link is hurting my ears.

Andy
Old 09-16-2009, 04:34 PM

C32 AMG
Where can i get an Eisenmann Muffler for c32?!
They didnt mufflers for c32amg, thats what they told me.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:35 PM
aho

03 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by jturkel
it probably would not sound good. i would not delete it. if you want to mess with your muffler, have a competent muffler shop open the muffler, remove the packing, then weld it back up. it shouldn't cost more than a few hundred and will probably sound better......or you could drop more money and get an eisenmann muffler for the c32, but those are $$$ ( i think like 900+ new?)

or.....just get some headers!....and you'll get a nice sound and power

as far as gains for the muffler delete......i really don't think you'll see anything now. the stock c32 exhaust manifolds are the major restriction and are before the muffler obviously. without fixing that major bottleneck by replacing them with headers, you will likely see no power gains in exhaust mods.....now once/if you do headers, you might see some small picks up by doing resonator delete, secondary cat delete, high flow primaries, and messing with the muffler because the major bottleneck has been fixed.

soundclips

eisenmann: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGIOmhc6u-Y

do not do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av_iJ...eature=related
Thanks for the info Josh! Yea that second clip sounds like a$$. Guess ill just stick it out and hopefully be happy once I get my tune.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:36 PM
aho

03 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Phil_W
Maybe get one for a C55 and have it modified?
Old 09-16-2009, 04:47 PM

2003 SL500, 2005 CLK55
It removed the mufflers on my sl500. I'm planning on putting some rear cats where I had them removed before.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by aho
Thanks for the info Josh! Yea that second clip sounds like a$$. Guess ill just stick it out and hopefully be happy once I get my tune.
if you seriously want more power besides adding more boost and switching pulleys (its a pain to do this, i know. i've had a 178mm Evosport, 2 Code3s (don't ask), and now a 185), then perhaps headers? and if you really want to change the sound, headers and high flow cats? muffler, i would stick to AMG or Eisenmann/Meisterschaft (i think they are the same now)
Old 09-16-2009, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
they definitely made one. i ran across a site years ago that was selling it for 1300 new (yes, 1300). i believe they are now the same as meisterschaft.

http://gthaus.com/ehdetails.php?selM...&Submit=Submit
Old 09-16-2009, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 c32
I have gone down this route more than once. Don't do it!
Our s/c'd cars performance are dependent on exhaust backpressure, hence the need for a muffler.
I have run an Eisenmann Race muffler (twice - don't ask) and have proven a reduction in performance over the stock AMG muffler.
The best power/sound set-up IMO is headers, secondary cats and resonator deleted, while maintaining the stock muffler.

My $.02
Old 09-16-2009, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by AirFrcd
I have gone down this route more than once. Don't do it!
Our s/c'd cars performance are dependent on exhaust backpressure, hence the need for a muffler.
I have run an Eisenmann Race muffler (twice - don't ask) and have proven a reduction in performance over the stock AMG muffler.
The best power/sound set-up IMO is headers, secondary cats and resonator deleted, while maintaining the stock muffler.

My $.02
what about the high flow primaries you added? not in the best power/sound setup?
Old 09-16-2009, 08:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 c32
what about the high flow primaries you added? not in the best power/sound setup?
Oh yeah, I forgot. Thanks for the reminder, add high flow primaries - LOL

BTW - off topic, since there are so many people out there with cash on hand looking to buy cars (sarcasm), I bought a set of Recaro Pole Positions to go in the C32...
Old 09-16-2009, 11:41 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
for the C32. there's no gain even in deleting secondary. the only thing you could gain from deleting the AMG/Sebring muffler is saving weight. something like my Weltmeister or Carlsson has little effect in HP. it's basically for sound and weight saving.

josh,

Eisenmann is not Meisterschaft.

Eisenmann is now imported by IND which is still made in Germany.

Meisterschaft is GTHaus's own brand. GTHaus = Eisenhaus who previously ****ed over Eisenmann by selling fake Eisenmanns to their customers at Eisenmann price. Meisterschaft from unconfirmed sources I've been told are made in Korea. Other than being constructed in titanium material which is light weight. They have no testing in exhaust flow and exhaust velocity or any proven performance gain.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by FrankW
for the C32. there's no gain even in deleting secondary. the only thing you could gain from deleting the AMG/Sebring muffler is saving weight. something like my Weltmeister or Carlsson has little effect in HP. it's basically for sound and weight saving.

josh,

Meisterschaft is GTHaus's own brand. GTHaus = Eisenhaus who previously ****ed over Eisenmann by selling fake Eisenmanns to their customers at Eisenmann price. Meisterschaft from unconfirmed sources I've been told are made in Korea. Other than being constructed in titanium material which is light weight. They have no testing in exhaust flow and exhaust velocity or any proven performance gain.
ahh .....i remember this incident. thank you for reminding me and for the clarification. totally forgot. my bad!
Old 09-16-2009, 11:56 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
ahh .....i remember this incident. thank you for reminding me and for the clarification. totally forgot. my bad!
oh yea...and also if you have too much flow you may loose exhaust velocity which is what makes power.

and this was what I mistake it for our cars needs some back pressure, but after some researching and reading apparently for force induction cars the less back pressure the better, but it's only good when the exhaust flow can keep it's velocity.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Merc power
^^ bravo ! well said !
Old 09-17-2009, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
yeah i think its been established the stock exhaust system is designed pretty well straight from the factory. you really only have to worry about too much back pressure with turbo systems.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:01 AM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by FrankW

josh,

Yes, same than mine knowings! Eisenmann is very popular make in Germany, and they didnt some Muffler for c32.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Yes, same than mine knowings! Eisenmann is very popular make in Germany, and they didnt some Muffler for c32.
i'm still 99% sure they make/made a legitimate Eisenmann muffler for the C32. I can almost swear by it. i just don't know where to find the REAL one. i did not provide a legitimate source of the legitimate product

Last edited by jturkel; 09-17-2009 at 05:32 AM.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:48 AM

C32 AMG
I looked at http://www.eisenmann-sportauspuff.de/DE/index.php there is no muffler for c32 amg.

And the request to a big distributor is also negative.

He said to me something like that: "the guys with eisenmann on c32 did maybe modify some muffler from c320".
Old 09-17-2009, 05:51 AM

Crossfire SRT-6
From my experience with the same engine, modding my exhaust hasn't improved my 1/4 mile times. I started with just removing the rear cats and posted my best of 12.1 @114. Since then I've removed the resonator without bettering my times and then replaced my muffler with the magnaflow. Still haven't hit 12.1 since only removing the rear cats last year. I've seen folks with totally stock exhaust pulling some great times. I've even had several re-tunes to compensate for the exhaust upgrades. So to me the answer would be NO to improving performance by modding the exhaust in any way. For some reason I've had big gains with my turbo cars in the past and not sure why our cars with the supercharger doesn't react as well to exhaust mods.

Last edited by Mimi05SRT6; 09-17-2009 at 05:54 AM.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:47 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
i'm still 99% sure they make/made a legitimate Eisenmann muffler for the C32. I can almost swear by it. i just don't know where to find the REAL one. i did not provide a legitimate source of the legitimate product
There is, but no one bought it. it was too expensive and too loud which most people just buy the C240/320 version. There's not that much to gain from the price difference anyway.