New Member Introduction + Tire Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55
New Member Introduction + Tire Question

Hey guys,

I've been a VW/Audi owner the past 10 years. Most recently I've been driving a stage 3 s4, but I wanted to find a 4 door sedan that was just as sporty but quieter and more refined.

I've been lurking on these forums since May and have found it to be a great resource. I finally bit the bullet and picked up a C55 the other week. Although its not as fast as the S4, it is much much nicer all around. I was worried about going to an Auto transmission as I've only had manual cars. However, I'm pleasantly surprised by this auto although a little less delay in shifting would be nice.

So to the tire question... I did do some searching and saw quite a few different winter setups, but I wanted to get your take on my situation. I am located in Philadelphia PA. The car came with summer tires. Some winters here see very little to no snow and some can have 7 or so snow days during the winter. I have never owned a set of dedicated snow tires.

I'm debating on whether to go with dedicated snows for what I call the 5 months of winter (NOV-MAR) or run all seasons instead.

Keeping in mind that I bought this car for performance, my thought is that the all seasons would offer a bit more performance during those 5 months than snow tires, but should "get me by" in the occasional event that it does snow.

Looking for peoples .02 cents...
Old 10-04-2009, 11:09 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Dedicated winter tires mounted on 17" wheels, size 225/45 R17 all around.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:38 PM

Carless
I agree with the above statement. Getting dedicated winter tires or a winter set with wheels and tiresould be much better than running an all season tire all year around. By running a summer tire in the summer and a winter tire in the winter, you will get the best performance all year around, whereas with an all season setup you will be sacrificing your performance both when the weather is nice and when its snowing. As for what tires to run, I hear that dunlop m3's are a great high performance winter tire, while the bridgestone blizzaks are some of the best you can get for the snow.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Which S4 is faster than a C55? Would you be referring to a b5 S4?
Old 10-04-2009, 04:51 PM

Carless
Yes I believe he is referring to a b5 s4 (stg 3 denoting upgraded turbos and fueling). Correct me if im mistaken, but those cars put down over 400 whp.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:23 PM

C55
Yes, it was a B5 s4. The tune I had put down 380whp & 400wtq. Very fun and fast car with AWD. Took my buddy for a ride in the C55 earlier today and he explianed it well... the S4 was "warp speed" fast where as the C55 is very fast. We both agreed that the C55 was much nicer and better all around. (with the exception of 6-speed and AWD but you can't have it all)

After re-reading my original post, I don't think I explained myself very well.

During the spring/summer months, I do plan to run dedicated summer tires.

During the late fall/winter months I'm debating on running either all seasons or snow tires.

My dilemma is that it snows here maybe 7 times a year. The roads get cleared typically that day or the day after. I never owned dedicated snow tires, but I assume that there is a trade-off in performance in the dry vs all seasons? Is it worth this trade off for those 7 snow days during the winter versus having all seasons "get me by"?

Thanks for the responses so far... I'm wondering if this post changes any of the previous posts. Everybody's .02 cents is appreciated!
Old 10-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Anything more than a light dusting of snow and you'll be in a world of hurt in something like the C55, especially if you keep the staggered setup with 255 or 265's for rear tires. Whether or not this is acceptable for you is for you to decide. If you can get a ride or are willing to risk driving your car on those 7 days then all seasons may work. If you have to have your car reasonably drivable or just don't want to take the risk, you should just go with dedicated snow tires.

Keep in mind snow tires are softer than all-seasons are. The only problem with them is that they wear out very quickly in warm weather and they can be a bit loud. I don't think you'll have less traction with snow tires than with all seasons in any thing other than warm weather.

Trending Topics

Old 10-05-2009, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by moosejaw
Which S4 is faster than a C55? Would you be referring to a b5 S4?

Yes, +1, which one is faster than a C55?? B5?? B6 or B7??? I haven't had ONe beat me yet? I know there are highly modded ones out there, but haven't encountered any??
Old 10-05-2009, 09:36 PM

C55
I'm referring to the B5.

I'm not sure the B6/B7 can beat anything.

Average stage 3 B5 with average driver should consistently see low-mid 12's @ ~112 or so... Better tuned stage 3 times quickly drop to low 12's & high 11's. Highly modified stage 3 cars will run high 11's to near 11.

I would think that based on your signature that it would be pretty close. If you had him beat at your back bumper or further I'd have to guess it was a stage 2/2+. (software & exhaust. "+" = downpipes)

... not on snow tires. haha
Old 10-05-2009, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
yesterday we saw a b5 with a vr6 and huge t51 turbo rip a 10.2 at PBIR
Old 10-05-2009, 11:13 PM

LS430
MMM T51R aka jetplane spoolup sound/ great antisurge housing.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Yes, MODDED the S4s are fabulously quick, BUT "stock??" The guy on our forums who had a Mars Red S7 Kleemann also had a "highly modded" 2000 S4 and he stated that in the dry, the cars were probably even and in fact, the Kleemann was "always ready to go" where the Audi required a "spooling up"; in the wet, a whole different story with few cars being able to beat the Audi. Stage III Audis routinely run in the 11s. Its just like the Subies and Mitsus, with the AWD, they are just able to hook, pure and simple. Few cars can beat an AWD from the "digg." Stock, I've never seen an S4 break into the 12s??

More on topic, Get the Blizzaks. Amazing in the snow and cold, they hold up decently well and ain't too bad in the rain either!! Now, where's my Cheesesteak and soft pretzel wrapped in the Philly Enquirer??? How do I know? I am in the process of dumpin the Michelin Arctic Alpins for some new Blizzaks for the ML55!! (have had Blizzaks for many years and love em, even if they are "squishy" in the dry!!

Last edited by Newzchspy; 10-06-2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:11 PM

C55
Stock s4 doesn't have a chance.

The c55 "readiness to go" is why I wanted a v8. I didn't have have very much trubo lag on my s4 setup but the c55 will go, without delay, from any rpm.

As far as the enquirer goes... philly politics are running this city into the ground. No news there.