C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Oil Burning?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 12:44 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
CLS55
Oil Burning?

Hey all, if I drive any reasonable distance I am smelling what seems to be oil burning...anything to look for here? I'll be taking my intake and cover off next weekend...just wanted to see if any of you ran into something simliar...sure hoping its not a leaky head or anything....

Seems to be recent don't remember smelling this before...
Old 10-18-2009, 01:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 C32 AMG
Did you do an oil change recently? I know this happened to me when I did my oil change and did not change the crush washer. Leaking oil and had that burning oil smell.

Those washers supposedly one time use only.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:38 AM

CLS55
Nah, no oil change. I didn't notice it until I was running idle and opened my car door...I'm guessing the smell is burning oil...sure think it is anyway.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
you sure its oil and not rubber?
Old 10-18-2009, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts
Cls63 & C32
it happens to me before, take a look to the back of the crank pulley there is a gasket that was leaking oil in my car after i installed my 185 pulley. put your hand below the crank pulley and see if there is a leaking.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Robert AMG
it happens to me before, take a look to the back of the crank pulley there is a gasket that was leaking oil in my car after i installed my 185 pulley. put your hand below the crank pulley and see if there is a leaking.
that would be the rear main seal.

testnight, check for oil leaking near the crank pulley. also, see if the crank pulley wobbles at all. it should be spinning relatively smoothly (with no wobble)
Old 10-18-2009, 04:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by testknight
Hey all, if I drive any reasonable distance I am smelling what seems to be oil burning...anything to look for here? I'll be taking my intake and cover off next weekend...just wanted to see if any of you ran into something simliar...sure hoping its not a leaky head or anything....

Seems to be recent don't remember smelling this before...
+1 to what the other guys said.

However, the most common cause of a burning oil smell is due to leaking of the gasket on the recirculation cover sitting on top of the valve covers (see red arrows).

Oil seeps out (not that much) and drips onto the exhaust manifolds and voila - burning of oil once the manifolds get hot. Remove the airboxes and look to see if the exhaust manifolds / headers have oil stains.

Unfortunately, a replacement gasket does not exist; however, you can easily remedy this using gasket maker.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:48 AM

CLS55
Excellent feedback guys...thanks much, I will look into these tiems this weekend...the image is great boohooramblers, thanksd for that.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
also check around your oil filter. if the o rings have gotten hard or were installed improperly they will leak causing the oil to drip down on the belt and be burned.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:28 PM

CLS55
Its coming from the front of the car. I see it puddling just underneath and the crankshaft pulley is wobbling a bit (it was just installed about two weeks ago). Could the seal have gone and caused the issue with the pulley?
Old 10-26-2009, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by testknight
Its coming from the front of the car. I see it puddling just underneath and the crankshaft pulley is wobbling a bit (it was just installed about two weeks ago). Could the seal have gone and caused the issue with the pulley?
yes. oh dear.....is this about the time you first noticed the oil burning smell?

i installed my first pulley with a buddy. we used an old crank bolt. after a while, i noticed there was a slight wobble. i didnt think anything of it. after a while....same problem.....except i completely blew it and lost several quarts of oil.

the wobbling rubs up against the seal, weakening it, and if persistent contact between the seal and pulley continue, it could cause this seal to blow. i've had my rear main seal fixed/replaced (thankfully under warranty)

was there a wobble when initially installed? was a new crank bolt used? was it torqued 270 ft/lbs + 90 degree turn?

oh....and the six little screws on the inside of the pulley....are those all equally tightened/torqued?
Old 10-27-2009, 10:40 AM

CLS55
Originally Posted by jturkel
yes. oh dear.....is this about the time you first noticed the oil burning smell?

i installed my first pulley with a buddy. we used an old crank bolt. after a while, i noticed there was a slight wobble. i didnt think anything of it. after a while....same problem.....except i completely blew it and lost several quarts of oil.

the wobbling rubs up against the seal, weakening it, and if persistent contact between the seal and pulley continue, it could cause this seal to blow. i've had my rear main seal fixed/replaced (thankfully under warranty)

was there a wobble when initially installed? was a new crank bolt used? was it torqued 270 ft/lbs + 90 degree turn?

oh....and the six little screws on the inside of the pulley....are those all equally tightened/torqued?
Yeah, it was about a week after the install that I noticed the burning smell (I dismissed it at first thinking it was an 'outside' smell and not my car). I can't say about the new pulley install as Eurocharged did the install at their shop. I assume they useda new bolt, outside of that I can't say how it was installed or if those screws were equally tightened. They did do an inspection (as they also indicated I needed a new water pump during the inspection, which they did install) and can say I had no oil on my driveway prior to install, so I know I didn't already have a problem. At any rate I emailed Jerry and I beleive Tony asking how it could have happened and to see what we can do.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:53 PM

C32
Good luck with that mess. Hopefully they will rule in your favor and take care of you. Thank you for posting this info. I’m soon to do my install and will make double sure that there is no pulley wobbling before I take off.
Anyone know the torque specs for the multiple bolts in the crank?
Old 10-27-2009, 05:12 PM

03 C32 AMG
02C32, you shouldn't have any wobbling with the used pulley I sold you. Just make sure as Jturkel mentioned to use a new crank bolt that you can purchase at your local MB dealer for approx. $7.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by C32AMGSC
02C32, you shouldn't have any wobbling with the used pulley I sold you. Just make sure as Jturkel mentioned to use a new crank bolt that you can purchase at your local MB dealer for approx. $7.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread.
assuming it is a 181 or 185, the pulley is made of more than one piece, and those six little screws hold the two parts together. i have been told that, overtime, these screws may loosen and may require retightening (and to an equal tq spec) so that it is perfectly balanced. if one or more screws are out a little more than others, it could hypothetically result in a wobble.

check with Jake or Jerry at eurocharged for the tq specs on those things. you DONT want to break them. THAT would be bad.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
[QUOTE=jturkel;3768921]you sure its oil and not rubber?[/QUOTE]

Talking dirty again I see
Old 10-27-2009, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
Originally Posted by jturkel