C32 Power steering leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0 LS2 - Blue
Angry C32 Power steering leak

Power steering fluid is leaking out directly at the pump. I can see drops of fluid falling right next to the PS pulley. With the engine running there is a loud whine, and the power steering fluid is foaming up. After shutting down the fluid escapes through the reservoir cap. So far I have no experience with DIY on power steering, and have some questions. I did change the coolant pump on my 02' Sportcoupe when it failed. There was a valve that opens up, and leaks coolant when the pump goes bad. Do the power steering pumps have this same design? I'm really hoping it's the gasket, and not the pump.

Of course my friendly local Mercedes-benz dealership was of no use as always. I asked the parts guy if the gasket is available. He says, "No you can only buy the entire pump for $650 dollars". I ask who manufacturers the pump. "They don't give us that information". What great service... Tomorrow we are going to take off the pump, and check the gasket. I will just cut out a gasket from universal gasket sheet if that turns out to be the problem. Maybe Autohausaz for a new pump if that's the case. Know any cheaper websites to buy one at?

I'm sure all the power steering fluid will need to be flushed first, and replaced after the job is done. The process for flush might be on the Star service DVD, but I haven't checked it yet. Anyone have DIY instructions to do it properly? Do you think it's the gasket, or the pump?
Old 11-05-2009, 02:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I hate to bump, but will be working on this early tomorrow morning, so I'm hoping to get any helpful information. I'm sure not too many people have experienced this problem, and if they did probably just bought a new pump. Anyone out there that has DIY this project?
Old 11-05-2009, 04:46 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
gasket. common issue on w203.

dealership always feed you all kinds of BS. You CAN order the gasket separately. it's only a dollar or two part. always ask the parts guy to flip his screen over so you can see it as well. OR they'll just tell you you need to buy the most expensive crap on their parts list.

check www.rmeuropean.com for what you need.

Last edited by FrankW; 11-05-2009 at 04:49 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks Frank... Time to head over to the dealership in person, and talk to the manager. I can't believe that new parts guy so blatantly lied to me over the phone. The only department I got along with there, and now my favorite parts guy is gone... I had a feeling this new guy was a jerk off also...
Old 11-05-2009, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Trip to the dealership was a waste of time. I had the parts guy print out the PS diagram, and there is no gasket shown. The manager wasn't there at the time... I'm sure there's a part number for the gasket, but no luck getting it. Universal gasket it shall be then...
Old 11-05-2009, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I wasn't able to find any gaskets for the power steering pump on that website other than the reservoir seal. It isn't leaking from the reservoir. With the PS pulley removed it is clearly leaking from the shaft. I was guessing the gasket we were talking about is what seals the two sides of the pump together. I don't think that's the case though. Is there an internal o-ring, or gasket right at the pulley shaft? With this new information would you think it's a bad pump, or can be rebuilt DIY? Anyone know which gasket commonly goes bad, and if this gasket failure leaks from the shaft? I've searched this forum, and others with no luck. Can't find any DIY threads for power steering pump. Star service DVD doesn't cover repair details, or even removal/install.

Last edited by gt4awd; 11-05-2009 at 11:44 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
Check out ebay, they have a couple of power steering pumps for $100. I'm not sure if they will work for our car, but it's made for the clk320, which is technically the same engine, right?

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=ste...&_ipg=&_sop=12
Old 11-05-2009, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Unfortunately not... Here's one on ebay for $700 dollars! Would be cheaper at the dealership.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...Q5fAccessories
Old 11-06-2009, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Originally Posted by gt4awd
Unfortunately not... Here's one on ebay for $700 dollars! Would be cheaper at the dealership.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...Q5fAccessories
So does the pump have to be for a c32 or would it work from a c320 as well since they are the same engine?
Old 11-06-2009, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes, they are the same part number; 112 466 01 01. Believe I just found the manufacturers website. ZF Steering?

http://zf-steering.us/index.html

I'm going to send them an email asking if there is a gasket or o-ring I can replace for DIY repair of the pump. At least that's progress so far!
Old 11-06-2009, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Yes, they are the same part number; 112 466 01 01. Believe I just found the manufacturers website. ZF Steering?

http://zf-steering.us/index.html

I'm going to send them an email asking if there is a gasket or o-ring I can replace for DIY repair of the pump. At least that's progress so far!
Found the same thing as you I think. They do rebuilds apparently from what they are selling here.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...n+%26+Steering
Old 11-06-2009, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ZF Steering wasn't of much help. However, they did tell me the cause of the problem, and that the internals are worn out requiring a replacement pump. Wasn't what I was hoping to hear, and I'm still going to inspect the pump once it's pulled to see if I can repair it.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Does anyone know if buying the pump through dealership will be brand new or refurbished? Turned out the bearings were shot, so it will require replacement. All the ones listed online are cheaper, but they are rebuilt... By the way, can you believe the power steering pump cost more than the power steering rack? The C32 has one of the most expensive power steering pumps for all the AMG models...
Old 11-08-2009, 06:52 AM

Not an AMG :(
I wasn't able to find any gaskets for the power steering pump on that website other than the reservoir seal. It isn't leaking from the reservoir. With the PS pulley removed it is clearly leaking from the shaft. I was guessing the gasket we were talking about is what seals the two sides of the pump together. I don't think that's the case though. Is there an internal o-ring, or gasket right at the pulley shaft? With this new information would you think it's a bad pump, or can be rebuilt DIY? Anyone know which gasket commonly goes bad, and if this gasket failure leaks from the shaft? I've searched this forum, and others with no luck. Can't find any DIY threads for power steering pump. Star service DVD doesn't cover repair details, or even removal/install.

The common gasket of failure on the power steering pump is the gasket between the reservoir and the pump itself. Clearly this gasket doesn't seem to be the problem in your case.
In any case, the part number is 0004661880.
It can be found here.

Obviously, you already found out it's the bearing failure that is leading to the leak at the shaft. By the time you source the replacement bearings and parts (if even possible), you probably would have been better off sending it out for remanufacturing. If MB detects a leak other than the reservoir to pump gasket, they just replace the whole pump.

Also bear in mind the following:

You have a 185mm pulley and you are also running a Pulley Saver kit. Think about how those two components may be affecting the powersteering pump (if at all).

Here’s some interesting information on how the pump operates:
C32 Power steering leak-pspumpfunction1.jpg
C32 Power steering leak-pspumpfunction2.jpg
C32 Power steering leak-pspumpfunction3.jpg
Old 11-08-2009, 06:53 AM

Not an AMG :(
Protocol for removing the Power steering pump

Here’s the protocol for removing and reinstalling the power steering pump:

C32 Power steering leak-pspumpremoval1.jpg
C32 Power steering leak-pspumpremoval2.jpg
Old 11-08-2009, 07:17 AM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
Power steering componet rebuilders

Hello Try this rebuilder. They have rebuilt many of the Z-F steering componets for about 1/3rd the price . They have just done my Rack & Pinion. for $300.00.

http://pssystemsinc.com/

Cheers PTEngineering
Old 11-08-2009, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Also bear in mind the following:

You have a 185mm pulley and you are also running a Pulley Saver kit. Think about how those two components may be affecting the powersteering pump (if at all).
That is one of my main concerns after installing the 185MM overdrive. It will cause faster rotation on all the pulleys, and on a higher mileage C32 I can see this causing quick failure to any worn components. Has anyone considered running an under-drive pulley (A/C, PS, ALT, etc..) setup along with the 185MM? Not only could it prevent failure, but it should show additional gains in horsepower.

Here’s the protocol for removing and reinstalling the power steering pump:
The C32 pump has a different pulley setup with three bolts, and there is a bracket on the front side. Other than that the pump looks identical...

Hello Try this rebuilder. They have rebuilt many of the Z-F steering componets for about 1/3rd the price . They have just done my Rack & Pinion. for $300.00.
I was considering sending it to be rebuilt, but decided I would rather get a brand new pump. That's why I was wondering if purchasing through dealership would be new or rebuilt?
Old 11-11-2009, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dealership pump is brand new, but there was no core refund. Total came out to nearly $700 dollars including the new reservoir washer, and locking ring... Placed the order with my old parts guy, and he set it for overnight shipping. New pump should be in tomorrow. Cheapest re-manufactured unit I could find was $400 dollars. Even checked at Chrysler dealership for the srt-8 PS pump. Turns out they used the previous design pictured in boohooramblers post, and it cost $680 dollars.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silver 02 C32 & White 05 CLK500
Dealership pump is brand new, but there was no core refund. Total came out to nearly $700 dollars including the new reservoir washer, and locking ring... Placed the order with my old parts guy, and he set it for overnight shipping. New pump should be in tomorrow. Cheapest re-manufactured unit I could find was $400 dollars. Even checked at Chrysler dealership for the srt-8 PS pump. Turns out they used the previous design pictured in boohooramblers post, and it cost $680 dollars.
Here is a used power steering pump on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Power...item2302a8ab94

If you cant click on the link, try copy and paste.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I did see that one on ebay, but the vehicle this pump was taken off of had 90k miles on it. Considering my pump went out at 90k I didn't want to possibly waste $150 dollars. Could have saved around $200 by getting a re-manufactured unit, but decided to just get a brand new pump.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Turns out there is two front bolts, and THREE rear bolts on the power steering pump. That third bolt is next to the A/C compressor, and nearly impossible to get at. We were finally able to remove it after finding a small/thin enough shorty ratchet at Sears. Bleed the system by turning wheel lock to lock forty times. Bubbles will flow into the reservoir until all the air is out of the line. Cranked her up, and absolutely no power steering sound. There was also a slightly wobble on the belt drive which is now gone. Running good so far! Wonder how much I saved in labor by DIY. Thinking in the $400 dollar range? I took photographs, so I'll get those up later. If anyone wants a DIY thread let me know... It was a PIA, and a very expensive failure, but the job went well. Just glad to be driving the C32 again!

Last edited by gt4awd; 11-13-2009 at 04:10 AM.