C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Need Help! Car won't start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 C32 AMG
Question Need Help! Car won't start

I just received my retune this morning by mail from Eurocharged, installed it then started the car without problems. Went for a ride to test my new found power and everything went smoothly. I went back an hour later and my car won't start, it won't turn all the way.

I noticed that my radio, a/c, everything else electronics still on, even the radiator fan will turn on but the car will not start. I had the battery disconnected since last Tuesday night and had it plugged in today. Also car showing No Malfunctions.

What could it be the problem?

I'm doing some research but could not find a definite solution for my problem.

Your help is appreciated!

Last edited by C32AMGSC; 11-14-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:59 PM

03 C32 AMG
Any help fellas?
Old 11-14-2009, 09:35 PM
aho

03 C32 AMG
im sorry I have no ideas for you, but I do however want your impressions on your tune from eurocharged, I send my ECU out to them on Monday.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
Most likely it's your cps crank position sensor. Will it turn on once it cools down? Try starting it a couple of hours later and I bet it will start. If it does then most likely it's the CPS. Pain in the *** job to do because of the tight fit, but it's a cheap part and you can do the work yourself.

With the right tools, the work is a piece of cake.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by loudandheard
Most likely it's your cps crank position sensor. Will it turn on once it cools down? Try starting it a couple of hours later and I bet it will start. If it does then most likely it's the CPS. Pain in the *** job to do because of the tight fit, but it's a cheap part and you can do the work yourself.

The CPS is definitely a prime suspect.

Although it may be just a coincidence, since this issue was precipitated by removing and flashing the ECU, first assume that you didn't put the ECU back properly.

I would check to make sure all connections are on snugly - I know several E55 guys have had issues with the ECU and it turned out to be improperly installed units (i.e. pins not making appropriate contact with their plugs).
Old 11-15-2009, 09:16 AM

03 C32 AMG
I will try to disconnect the ECU and reconnect it again.

But if this is the CPS problem, where will the CPS be located? Where to get the part? How much?

TIA!
Old 11-15-2009, 09:18 AM

03 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by aho
im sorry I have no ideas for you, but I do however want your impressions on your tune from eurocharged, I send my ECU out to them on Monday.
Aho, Eurocharged did a great job tuning my ecu. This is my 2nd time for a retune since I used to have 181mm and replaced it with a 185mm crank pulley. I highly suggest them.

Trending Topics

Old 11-15-2009, 10:19 AM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by C32AMGSC
I will try to disconnect the ECU and reconnect it again.

But if this is the CPS problem, where will the CPS be located? Where to get the part? How much?

TIA!
pia install. Its in the rear of the engine on the drivers side. You almost need to replace it via touch as you can barely see it. If you are going to try it yourself send me a pm and I can go to the shop and snap a couple of pics off one of the spare 32 engines we have.

Also, reset your ecu and check the connections. I would unseat everything and take careful care to make sure everyone of the connectors is seated correctly. Also check for bent pins that might have moved on install/reinstall.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:40 AM

03 C32 AMG
Ok, I just disconnected the battery again, unseat all connectors in the ecu and reconnect everything back. Car then started. I was like great everything back to normal.

After 30 mins. I went back to restart the car and problem is still occuring.
Will this be a CPS problem or a battery problem?

Jake, please do send me pics of the DIY for the CPS in case that is the culprit. Sucks because this car is my daily driver.

Here's my email too audieswu@yahoo.com
Old 11-15-2009, 12:23 PM

C32AMG.335 e92 fbo.protomotive996 gt2
Sure this is the cps. After replacement i suggest to do a default initialization (learning process) using the star diagnos.the engine will be more smooth and more powerful.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:28 PM

03 C32 AMG
Just got back from Advanced Auto Parts and had the battery and alternator checked and both passed.

This looks like an ECU retune problem since I never encounter this issue before until after the ECU reflashed.

How to do I know?

It's because everytime I disconnect/reconnect the battery, the car will crank and function correctly (ecu reset). I am even able to drive the car around. Then after I kill the car. I try cranking it again and it won't turn all the way.

I have contacted Jake and everyone at Eurocharged and I'm sure they will come through and reflash my ecu correctly. I thank them in advance for being professional and comes through to their avid customers.

Jake, I just sent you and your staff an email and will overnight the ECU tomorrow morning, please see to it since this is my daily driver and I will be renting a car do drive around while my C32 is sitting in the garage.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Originally Posted by loudandheard

My post tells you that the problem you are having is more than likely the CPS.

Originally Posted by C32AMGSC
Just got back from Advanced Auto Parts and had the battery and alternator checked and both passed.

This looks like an ECU retune problem since I never encounter this issue before until after the ECU reflashed.

How to do I know?

It's because everytime I disconnect/reconnect the battery, the car will crank and function correctly (ecu reset). I am even able to drive the car around. Then after I kill the car. I try cranking it again and it won't turn all the way.

I have contacted Jake and everyone at Eurocharged and I'm sure they will come through and reflash my ecu correctly. I thank them in advance for being professional and comes through to their avid customers.

Jake, I just sent you and your staff an email and will overnight the ECU tomorrow morning, please see to it since this is my daily driver and I will be renting a car do drive around while my C32 is sitting in the garage.
There is nothing wrong with the ecu, it all has to do with the cps. You do not even need to disconnect and reconnect the battery for the car to turn on. All you need to do is give it a couple of hours and the car will work once more, but will turn off after leaving it on for a while.

Apparently the CPS will warm up and cause the car to turn off and not allow you to turn the car on until it has cooled off. Every thing will work on the car, but you will not be able to turn it on.

I was able to source the part locally for a $100, apparently it's used on various Mercedes models. I went to autozone and some one there knew of a place that had them locally.

Here are a couple of places that you can order it from:
http://www.parts.com/oemcatalog/inde...layCatalogid=0

http://www.partsgeek.com/mmparts/cra...des/ml320.html

http://www.importecwarehouse.com/Mer...0031532728.htm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BOSCH...Q5fAccessories

http://stores.ebay.com/Euro-parts-di...6819949?_rdc=1
Old 11-15-2009, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Check out this thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...s-problem.html

I spent the whole time trying to do the job on my own. I had given up it was so hard, but it's because I was going about the job incorrectly. The sensor is nearly impossible to see because it is behind the engine close to where it meets the firewall. I wasn't even sure I had the right part because I had no idea what it looked like. Luckily it was the correct part. All you need is a long flexible extension, other wise it's an impossible job to do. Once I purchased the right tool, I was able to get it out in the dark and re-install every thing. This is a job that must be done by touch because you will have a hard time seeing it.

I would see if you can source the part locally, if not just order it. This is one of those parts that goes with out warning. I was running low on gas and I barely made it to the gas station and filled up. Well, when I went to start the car it turned, buit would not come on. I freaked out thinking it was the fuel pump. I tried to turn on the car for 15 minutes on and off. Finally the car started. I think I had a CEL come on as well. So I decided to take it to autozone and they told me what the problem was. I even left the car on and went in side, once I came back out the car had turned it self off. Luckliy for me that had told me of a place to get the part and I took care of it a couple of days later, but it's a pain in the *** AND I CAN'T STRESS IT ENOUGH TO GET A FLEXIBLE EXTENSION if you decide to do the job yourself. Remember to have patience and that this job is possible.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
i agree its probably a cps issue. The cps on all w203's eventually go bad. I bought mine for $45 on ebay and paid my mechanic $80 to install it.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:02 PM

03 C32 AMG
I just ordered the Crank Position Sensor for my '03 C32 from www.autohausaz.com for $41 plus express shipping. Should have it by Tuesday...I don't think I'll try to do it myself and I'll price the indy shops near me to do the job. Will keep you guys updated.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

hope it all works out.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:41 PM
SPONSOR

As requested.... Your going to have to work via feel as its the back driver side of the engine behind the plenums

Old 11-15-2009, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

man i wish i had those pics when i did mine or i wouldnt have the shop do it. great info.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:53 PM
SPONSOR

Lol, figured I would run to the shop and get some pics for him. It helps when you have a couple of spare mercedes engines sitting around

Old 11-15-2009, 10:02 PM

03 C32 AMG
Thanks alot Jake! Eurocharged pull through again as always.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Merc power
I had the same problem before too. It can be CPS or FUEL pump. Are you getting fuel in to the motor? hopefully yours is a simple fix CPS. GL!
Old 11-15-2009, 10:28 PM

03 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by 1qikctr
I had the same problem before too. It can be CPS or FUEL pump. Are you getting fuel in to the motor? hopefully yours is a simple fix CPS. GL!
Hate to sound like an idiot but how can I tell if I'm getting fuel in to the motor?

I hope it's the CPS too since I have the part on order and pics to show for the shop guy. I'll find out by Wednesday.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

well if you weren't getting fuel the car, the car would die after about a min after the car uses all the fuel in the lines. Its more likely the cps.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Merc power
I recently got my CPS changed out. After about 2 months later, the car will not start at times but will crank. 1st i thought it was my CPS great another 5-8 hours of work... anyways long story short i found out my fuel pump was burned out. Here is the picture of the MOTOR, the red circle has a plastic cap on it. un screw it and use a small screw driver press down the lilttle knob. If the fuel pump is good, there will be fuel leaking out from it. If its dry your fuel pump is burned. GL.

Last edited by 1qikctr; 11-15-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Originally Posted by OLDSCHOOLRICE
Sounds like cps to me, not easy to change on a c32 due to the charge air tubes.

The ether helps the engine start to fire because with a bad crank sensor the spark is still supplied, but the fuel pump will not run without a crank signal.

Charge air tube on the left bank is easy to remove and will make the job much easier.
If the CPS is bad the fuel pump will not function. So it may a bit difficult to check to be absolutely sure. I haven't heard of a lot of fuel pump failures. The odds are with you, more than likely it's the cps.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need Help! Car won't start