C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Weather stripping removal mod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 12:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C32 AMG
Weather stripping removal mod

Just curious how many of you run without the top weather stripping to gain the extra whine from your code 3 intakes or custom intakes.

I wanted a bit more than just the intake whine but not sure if I want THIS much haha.. in all honesty I think the increase volume of the whine now is bordering noise restrictions here in Australia (or maybe I'm just being paranoid).. when idle and starting to throttle the noise is very loud.

So, who runs without the weather stripping? Have you found a safe mod to do so you get the protection from rain as well?

I don't want the full sound so I was thinking maybe some holes in the weather stripping just above the intake.. ?
Old 12-04-2009, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
i drive with it off. i did with my code3 and with my SL55 setup.

idle, the noise shouldnt be loud because you arent under boost and there should be no whine

i think its safe. i've driven without it on or any weather stripping on for over a year and that includes days with rain. however, i am told it is not wise to go through a car wash with it off.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:50 AM

2001 C32 AMG
Ok great, no the 'whine' isn't present when it's at low revs.. it's more of a deep churning sound - is this normal? maybe I should record it..

Do you have the whole strip removed or just removed the section above the intake?

I dont' do car wash's so its all good hehe
Old 12-04-2009, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Beaker
Ok great, no the 'whine' isn't present when it's at low revs.. it's more of a deep churning sound - is this normal? maybe I should record it..

Do you have the whole strip removed or just removed the section above the intake?

I dont' do car wash's so its all good hehe
i have the entire weather stripping removed. both along my firewall and near my battery and ECU area.

the deep churning sound is probably your injectors that you are hearing. they are noisy.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:54 AM

2001 C32 AMG
Sweet.. I must admit I did love the double in sound just by removing the strips.. makes sense. Is the strips inside the engine bay there for water purely or to keep heat away from the battery etc?
Old 12-04-2009, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Beaker
Sweet.. I must admit I did love the double in sound just by removing the strips.. makes sense. Is the strips inside the engine bay there for water purely or to keep heat away from the battery etc?
probably to keep water out of the engine bay. i took all of mine off to get better ventilation in my engine bay though. i havent seen or done any tests, but i think it may be slightly beneficial to remove the weather stripping. and i know the code3 intake is louder and may get more/colder air
Old 12-04-2009, 01:20 AM

2001 C32 AMG
well I've taken the top one off and I'll see how I go.. it's interesting how you can find the position in the throttle as to when the air intake starts.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
i don't take mine off. I just offset it off its row and just fold it into the driver side on the driver side.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:07 PM

Volvo
I have mine off as well. Not worried about Car washes as i am to low to clear those tracks