C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

AC cooling kit for cooling Intercooler water

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 08:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 '02
AC cooling kit for cooling Intercooler water

I came across this fabricator that developed this interesting kit. it uses the AC coolant to cool fuel or water, and in our case it can cool the water for our water-cooled intercoolers. I think its best to use some sort of engine/ intercooler separation kit such as the one by needswings cause we don't want the engine coolant to be too cool...so with flip of the ac switch, you can cool the water going into the intercooler. With this type of setup, I can imagine that we can lower our IATs very very quickly and is possible to be even colder than ambient temps. Has anyone seen this type of setup before? I'm thinking of installing this myself. Here are some pics that were installed on w203s, as you can see it is used to cool the fuel lines instead. Its located right in front of the ABS/ESP control module. What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails AC cooling kit for cooling Intercooler water-.jpg   AC cooling kit for cooling Intercooler water-2.jpg   AC cooling kit for cooling Intercooler water-tmp2ae8d6d0-ac-9576xf9x0600x0450-m.jpg   AC cooling kit for cooling Intercooler water-2009-12-14-.jpg  

Last edited by ML500K; 12-14-2009 at 08:28 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by ML500K
I came across this fabricator that developed this interesting kit. it uses the AC coolant to cool fuel or water, and in our case it can cool the water for our water-cooled intercoolers. I think its best to use some sort of engine/ intercooler separation kit such as the one by needswings cause we don't want the engine coolant to be too cool...so with flip of the ac switch, you can cool the water going into the intercooler. With this type of setup, I can imagine that we can lower our IATs very very quickly and is possible to be even colder than ambient temps. Has anyone seen this type of setup before? I'm thinking of installing this myself. Here are some pics that were installed on w203s, as you can see it is used to cool the fuel lines instead. Its located right in front of the ABS/ESP control module. What do you guys think?
One question comes to mind. The AC shuts off during FULL throttle, so when you need it most, aka under boost, it works the least

It sure would cool it down quick after a run, but I don't know how well it would work for draggin. On a road course, where you are on and off the throttle a bunch it may help. But then again with a C3 HE, I never lost power even after 20+ minutes.

Interesting to say the least, but not sure about real world gains, IMHO.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:18 AM

C32 '02
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
One question comes to mind. The AC shuts off during FULL throttle, so when you need it most, aka under boost, it works the least

It sure would cool it down quick after a run, but I don't know how well it would work for draggin. On a road course, where you are on and off the throttle a bunch it may help. But then again with a C3 HE, I never lost power even after 20+ minutes.

Interesting to say the least, but not sure about real world gains, IMHO.
Interesting point about it shutting off on full throttle. Not sure if there are "gains" per se, but the function is not to increase HP but to keep what we have? I have installed the LET heat exchanger and boy does it cool down the temps faster than the stock one. So far I have a baseline. 1 through end of 3rd gear on full throttle, my IAT was 60C (140F) max. Ambient temp was like 18C (64F). Once I let go of the throttle, it took about 15 seconds to cool down to 37C (98F). When I started the run IAT was about 26C (79F) . my subsequent runs the IAT were about 40-45C (104-113F) and stayed there and it seems once the engine is "heated-up" it won't go down anymore, Max IATs was 67C (152F) So I'm wondering if this kit is installed, if it will quickly cool the IAT back to 26 or even lower and keep the temp low even when driving "spiritedly". My data proves that the heat exchanger is doing its job and but wouldn't this kit lower IAT even more?, especially of a hot summer day. I know its winter now and I really do enjoy the cooler weather, even just cruising my IAT stayed about 13-15C over ambient, but that is just tapping on the throttle during my commute home. so if its 20C outside, my IAT will be 35C, once i stop at a redlight, it climbs slowly...Driving in the streets with traffic, IAT goes above 20-25C over ambient, which is quite a lot imo, but this maybe due to the code3 style intake i have. Gonna have that removed and go full SL55 intake.

Last edited by ML500K; 12-14-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
interesting idea. You can probably rewire the ac condenser to a indepentent switch so the ecu won't turn off the ac at full throttle.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:10 AM

C32 '02
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
interesting idea. You can probably rewire the ac condenser to a indepentent switch so the ecu won't turn off the ac at full throttle.
Good point
Old 12-14-2009, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 porsche 996 turbo
do -10 fan mod so it kicks on sooner and cools the fluid more. a/c on isnt allowed at most tracks in the us so it doesnt do us much good here
Old 12-14-2009, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32
The AC compressor probably takes 15-20hp from the motor when engaged. How many more HP will the cooler IC water give you

This may work for drag racing where you can cool the fluids down between runs, but think it would be pretty useless otherwise.

Trending Topics

Old 12-14-2009, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
Originally Posted by Zeppelin
The AC compressor probably takes 15-20hp from the motor when engaged. How many more HP will the cooler IC water give you

This may work for drag racing where you can cool the fluids down between runs, but think it would be pretty useless otherwise.
the cooler i/c water gives 0 hp. it only allows the s/c to run longer before heatsoak or hot lap more runs than oem. coolers and bigger tanks add no hp
Old 12-14-2009, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by 320 dreamer
the cooler i/c water gives 0 hp. it only allows the s/c to run longer before heatsoak or hot lap more runs than oem. coolers and bigger tanks add no hp
Well, you know this statement is not entirely true. Yes anything below 140 degrees and the ECU will not pull timing, however the cooler the charge the more dense it is, thus more power. Cooler IAT's DO make more HP. That is a basic thermal dynamic equation my Friend. However I will grant you that there is NO free lunch, aka perpetual motion machine. What I mean, sorry for the geek in me, is that ANY energy you put in to cool it, will be more than what you get out, aka NOTHING man makes is 100% efficient.

So yes I agree with you, but for slightly different reasons
Old 12-14-2009, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by Zeppelin

+1

This would have limited utility - but could be handy to cool IATs between runs when drag racing. Also, while waiting (and leading up to staging), if you could lower the fluid temp to get IATs below ambient - you potentially could see it shave a little off ET and add a bit of MPH to trap speed... much like icing down a supercharger and the intake plenums between runs (accomplishing the same thing).
Old 12-14-2009, 09:37 PM

C32 '02
guess the only way to find out is to have it installed . Probably won't see the full potential until the weather gets hotter...

We don't have race tracks here which really sucks big time, so there isn't a "legal" venue to do racing. We do have crappy go-cart like tracks...hahaha

Last edited by ML500K; 12-14-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by ML500K
guess the only way to find out is to have it installed . Probably won't see the full potential until the weather gets hotter...

We don't have race tracks here which really sucks big time, so there isn't a "legal" venue to do racing. We do have crappy go-cart like tracks...hahaha
well...try it out....if it works and doesnt cost an arm and a leg, i want one
Old 12-15-2009, 10:43 AM

C32 '02
Originally Posted by jturkel
well...try it out....if it works and doesnt cost an arm and a leg, i want one
He's charging me roughly 450 including installation. I'm gonna do the SL55 intake first. Still got some time before the warm weather hits. Will let you know when I get this installed.