Broke down :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W210 E55 & W204 C63
Broke down :(

Lined up next to a buddy’s SRT-6 today at a red light in Mexico, we both hit it on green, by 40mph the engine stopped responding to the throttle and I glided to a stop. I got out of the car popped the hood and noticed that the pulley next to the SC was leaking oil... the car cranks but doesn't start. Not sure if those two are related, but I am sure it shouldn’t be leaking any oil there…

I already replaced the battery, replaced the alternator, replaced the Crank Position Sensor and got my ECU checked out by Jerry and he said it's fine... It has to be the fuel system, going to get an update on Monday.
Circled in red is where it was leaking oil behind that pulley, what could be causing it?
Attached Thumbnails Broke down :(-towed-001.jpg  
Old 04-23-2010, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 porsche 996 turbo
oil or grease? thats the idler pulley and known to fail. shouldnt have any thing to do with it starting though
Old 04-23-2010, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210 E55 & W204 C63
Originally Posted by 320 dreamer
oil or grease? thats the idler pulley and known to fail. shouldnt have any thing to do with it starting though
Pretty sure it's oil, it smells bad too.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
Was there any weird sounds, shaking, or anything unusual that occurred when the car stopped responding?

I do not think there is any thing that can leak oil in that area. The only thing I can think of is maybe oil that came from a bearing? I did notice a bit of oil on the right side of the supercharger pulley on the black rubber hose.

As for not starting, no idea. It sounds like a cps problem, but you already had that replaced.

Good luck and I hope you find a solution quick.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Originally Posted by kindafast
Pretty sure it's oil, it smells bad too.
Now that you mention that, I remember a thread about rebuilding the supercharger and it said that there is a small bolt to the left of the supercharger that allows you to get to the internal oil and that it really stunk.

Check out the thread:

First of all I want to clear something up, the full rebuild costs about 800 dollars. Oil, bearings & gaskets. Bearings according to him are custom made and of a higher quality that stock (he said it is very difficult if not impossible to source those bearings)

The guy suggested that I didn't need a full rebuild and the bearings felt like they still turned pretty smoothly. So I just went for the SC oil change. The procedure is very easy and can be DIYed by anyone handy with tools. You probably need some sort of suction device to suck the SC oil out.

Now what I was shocked was that only about 30CC of oil got sucked out. Had I not thought about changing the oil, the SC was a ticking time bomb waiting to explode imo. The cost of the oil is fairly cheap, just one bottle is enough. Cost about 100 dollars to get it done. PN for the oil is on my first post and yes its a real MB number; called a few local parts vendor to verify it before i went to change it.

So my recommendation to you all is to have it checked/changed ASAP, your SC might be running "dry" without any lubrication. Make sure you get the oils before unplugging the screw.

So here's the procedure:

1) take off the secondary air pump plumbing
2) take of the small pulley next to the SC ( if you still have one )
3) On the front of the SC and on the left side is a small hole with a screw,
you need to unscrew that , You should put some rags below it cause the oils might flow out and it really stinks.
But in my case nothing...

4) use a oil suction device, put it through the hole and start sucking away.
1 bottle of oil is like 120CC, not very much.
5) The guy attached a long tube to the bottle and put it through the hole and started squeezing it out. It did take a while to squeeze all of the oil in. about 10 mins.
5) put the screw back on, ,install the pulley and plumbing and your ready to rockin roll.

First pic is sucking it out & Second pic s squeezing some fresh juice into the SC
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...-their-sc.html
Old 04-23-2010, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210 E55 & W204 C63
Originally Posted by loudandheard
Now that you mention that, I remember a thread about rebuilding the supercharger and it said that there is a small bolt to the left of the supercharger that allows you to get to the internal oil and that it really stunk.

Check out the thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...-their-sc.html
The stink has to be that! I've been trying to figure out what it was for a while, but spotted it only today, thanks.

One detail I forgot to mention is when I brought the car to a halt it died and the display read "battery/alternator error service" or something similar...
Old 04-23-2010, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Originally Posted by kindafast
The stink has to be that! I've been trying to figure out what it was for a while, but spotted it only today, thanks.

One detail I forgot to mention is when I brought the car to a halt it died and the display read "battery/alternator error service" or something similar...
That happened to me when I threw a belt, but once I installed re-installed the belt it went away.

Has anyone messed with the supercharger recently? Sounds kind of weird that you would be leaking fluid from there.

I was reading on WIS and the possible problems with the engine not starting:
-problem with the fuel pump
-electrical wire of o2 sensor coming into contact with the driveshaft causing a short in the fuel pump relay.
-fuel filter
Old 04-24-2010, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 c32 AMG 2012 c250 Coupe
damn that sucks *****..!!! hopefully you get your car on the road soon and atleast you have the vett as a back up..
Old 04-24-2010, 01:27 AM

Volvo
Mmm... Thats intresting.... I don't think its the timing chain....Im just wondering what else it would be from keeping your car from starting
Old 04-24-2010, 06:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Chevrolet SS, 2006 Cadillac STS-V
If it smells really bad, its probably supercharger oil as opposed to engine oil.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
##

Fuel - suspect bad fuel pump. If you have anyway to check fuel pressure? Or if you can hear if fuel pump turns on. Is there a fuse for the fuel pump?
Bad fuel? Out of fuel?
Clogged fuel filter should start just run rough.
Bad fuel pump will die altogether like you describe.

Spark - Not sure how to check this on benz.

GL>
Old 04-26-2010, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Were you able to find the problem?
Old 04-26-2010, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Merc power
Hard to say what the problem maybe... please update with the problem.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210 E55 & W204 C63
Nope, the shop is still running tests on it.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210 E55 & W204 C63
Got a call from the shop today and it appears to be the fuel pump. The tests, labor and parts are gona cost me quite a bit.

Does the old broken pump have any value and is it fixable?
Has anyone gone through a fuel pump replacement using an after market pump and if so what are your thoughts on doing so?

Just don't feel like ditching out $1200 for a fuel pump...
Old 04-27-2010, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
swap in a walboro 255 and call it a day.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210 E55 & W204 C63
Got the car back today!
First time I've driven it for over an hour in about 6 months. OMG I missed it soo much!

Anyway shop replaced the Fuel Pump and Mounting Bracket. I have the old ones, according to the mechanic that worked on it, one of the wires had melted and it caused the pump to work only part of the time.

I have the old pump assembly for sale if anyone wants it: https://mbworld.org/forums/engine-pe...ml#post4060123
Old 10-08-2010, 01:59 PM

C32 AMG, ML 350, Toyota Hilux 4x4
I changed my water pump yersterday, car started fine and tried taking it for a test drive.

After 2 km engine still cold and then suddenly car died, displayed message "battery/alternator error service" or something similar... before dying.

Now the car wont start, there is a clunking noise around the supercharge

I have replaced fuel pump + tank, alternator, CPS.

Please assist