Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
CLS55 AMG
5.4 AMG engine differences and supercharging

hello,
I actually own a SLK55, but I have found that there was a C55 in existence that had been supercharged. I tried looking for the build thread, but could not find it. I’m looking into doing this to my SLK55, and would prefer to go the OEM route rather than Klemann or Rentech. I have looked up the specs on the engines but could not find the detailed differences between the N/A and the supercharged ones.
Here's what I've found

SLK55 | C55 | SL55
360hp | 367HP | 476HP
376TQ | 376TQ | 516TQ

11:1 comp | 11:1 comp | 9:1 comp
97mm bore | 97mm bore | 97mm bore
92mm stroke | 92mm stroke | 92mm stroke

so, are the internals actually different in the N/A motors or did they just use thicker head gaskets to drop the comp ratio?
my guess is that they used different pistons, since the bore and stroke are the same. I remember reading that AMG builds their engines to run at about 60% of their potential, is that true?
If so, would anything need to be modified internally in order to supercharge the N/A motor?
I found a used supercharger from an SL55 on Ebay. it looks like it replaces the whole intake assembly as well. would the crank pulley off a SL55 work on the N/A motor for the drive belt on the S/C? also, would i need custom tuning for the s/c or is there a map readily available? does the fuel pump from the SL work on the C/SLK class? what about injectors/fuel rails/FPR's? Please point me in the right direction in my research.
thanks
Old 05-05-2010, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by xpl0sive
hello,
I actually own a SLK55, but I have found that there was a C55 in existence that had been supercharged. I tried looking for the build thread, but could not find it. I’m looking into doing this to my SLK55, and would prefer to go the OEM route rather than Klemann or Rentech. I have looked up the specs on the engines but could not find the detailed differences between the N/A and the supercharged ones.
Here's what I've found

SLK55 | C55 | SL55
360hp | 367HP | 476HP
376TQ | 376TQ | 516TQ

11:1 comp | 11:1 comp | 9:1 comp
97mm bore | 97mm bore | 97mm bore
92mm stroke | 92mm stroke | 92mm stroke

so, are the internals actually different in the N/A motors or did they just use thicker head gaskets to drop the comp ratio?
my guess is that they used different pistons, since the bore and stroke are the same. I remember reading that AMG builds their engines to run at about 60% of their potential, is that true?
If so, would anything need to be modified internally in order to supercharge the N/A motor?
I found a used supercharger from an SL55 on Ebay. it looks like it replaces the whole intake assembly as well. would the crank pulley off a SL55 work on the N/A motor for the drive belt on the S/C? also, would i need custom tuning for the s/c or is there a map readily available? does the fuel pump from the SL work on the C/SLK class? what about injectors/fuel rails/FPR's? Please point me in the right direction in my research.
thanks
Hooleyboy used an AMG supercharged on his C55. Huge project. Send him a PM for details on that.

Several others on here also have Kleemann superchargers on their C55s, but I believe they purchased it that way.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
One guy actually transplanted an E55 SC'd engine into a C55.
Of course his day job is as a tech at a Mercedes dealer...lol.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:52 PM
cdd

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
N/A
Originally Posted by Worth the wait
One guy actually transplanted an E55 SC'd engine into a C55.
Of course his day job is as a tech at a Mercedes dealer...lol.
If you're referring to Sunil, I think it was a C320. Not that it really matters, though...
Old 05-05-2010, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by cdd
If you're referring to Sunil, I think it was a C320. Not that it really matters, though...
actually it might lol.....emphasis on the might

IIRC, for the transplant to fit, didn't they have to somehow elongate the front end b/c the M113k motor and tranny wouldn't clear the W203 engine bay as is? My comment about it "might" mattering is that the C55 has a different front end, as it is part W209 (IIRC). so perhaps the M113k motor and tranny would clear and the front end would not need to be elongated.

if this is NOT the car that i've read about, then completely ignore that post lol.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
i agree hooleyboy is the best person to ask. He does have a build thread about it. I would just do a search.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
210 55
You can go OEM/AMG but you spent lots of $$$ than kleemann, the kompressor kit by kleemann round 9k$ - 9.5k$, the custom AMG round 15K

Best option: buy a used 55K engine & put them on

Fabio Daniel
Old 05-06-2010, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by jturkel
Hooleyboy used an AMG supercharged on his C55. Huge project. Send him a PM for details on that.

Several others on here also have Kleemann superchargers on their C55s, but I believe they purchased it that way.

+1, the S7 and S8 are prime examples of Kleemanized C55s, Most were purchased that way.........
Old 05-13-2010, 03:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
My friend put a complete 55k motor in his C43.

Hooleyboy would be the best person to ask about just putting a charger on.

The NA55 motor has higher compression pistons than the 55k motor.

If you do decide to go the AMG charger route I may have a supercharger for sale. Pm me if interested
Old 05-13-2010, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by xpl0sive
hello,
. . . . . . . so, are the internals actually different in the N/A motors or did they just use thicker head gaskets to drop the comp ratio?
thanks
It's a lot more than head gaskets.

Just glancing at the part numbers, internally, the supercharged engine has different rods, rod bearings, pistons, heads, cams, valve springs (the 55K uses dual springs), and crank. This is a very short list of some internal differences. There are other external issues. The ECU controlled SC clutch is a good example.

An aftermarket SC may be a viable option.