Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2002, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
c32 owners, why did you get it?

hiya
i was just thinking (i do that once in a while ) about the c32 vs m3 thing and i put together a car on mbusa that came out to $57k. that's a lot of money. and that gets in the range of a bmw 540i series...

so, i would like to know what the reasoning was for your purchase. any other cars that you had considered in addition to the c32? why did you discount the competitors? and how did you end up picking the c32?

thanks for the info.
Old 02-02-2002, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS
i dont have a c32, but if i had 50+k laying around, and a unending desire to rack up dozens of points on my liscense i would have one.

its blazingly fast, from tests, a tad faster then the m3, and handles almost as well. Yet the m3 screams rich boy racer, its loud and raucus it lets all the road communicate directly to the driver.

The mercedes does the same performance wise (almost) yet shelters you from the outside world. it eats pot holes and bumps, accelerates wickedly fast, and is smooth and quiet when it wants to be.

it seats 4, sorta comfortably, and when debadged is a plain jane near luxo sedan. step on the gas and you remeber why your car cost about the same as 4 honda civics

greg
Old 02-02-2002, 09:44 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 E55 Estate
Why I did it

I'm a confirmed Merc lover who had a W202 C280 Sport for 3 years, followed by an old style (don't know the model #) BMW 5 for a short time. No comparison.

Then I drove a friends CLK55 and AMG got me; tried an M3 (man)and found it (IMHO) nasty in traffic.

C32 v M3 -
Here's my take -
In my dreams I'm on the open road; in reality I'm in traffic Monday to Friday.
In my dreams there's just me and a babe; in reality there's my mother in law.
In my dreams I'm opposite locking at 90mph on a track; in reality I'm on public roads 24/7 and I'd wind up in jail.
The C32 says just enough; the M3 shouts too loud.
The C32 will do everything and more than the M3 UNLESS you want to go on a track.

I'm not interested in what a racing driver COULD do in my car - I'm interested in what my car CAN do for me.

That's why..
Old 02-02-2002, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
Well, my main choice was a CLK 55; but after being jerked around by my dealer for a few months and found out the future of the CLK, I decided the C32 was my best choice.

Same, if not better performance than a CLK 55 for 20 grand less... looks just as good (but that is all up to your own tastes), and the body style won't be changing for a long time.

Also the C32 is among the "freshest" of the AMG's, and that is what I wanted.

I have an '03 C32 AMG on order right now so I should have it in the summer when the '03's are first released, but I may decide to just get an '02 right now if there are no differences between the '02 and '03. I would like to have Parktronic and a few other features that are available on the European models, but not the North American models. I would like to find out if they will be available on the '03, but MBUSA said they are "unsure at the moment".
Old 02-02-2002, 11:14 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 Corvette Z06
I am new to the Mercedes world, actually never thought about owning one or being able to afford one. I have a 01 Corvette Z06 as my car and my wife was driving a 01 Corvette convertible with a 6 speed. I wanted an automatic family type sedan for future grandchildren (yes, I am old, an even # 50). I read about the C32 in Car & Driver and thought it was the vehicle for me. I pryed my wife's fingers from the steering wheel of the ragtop and took it to a dealer in Col. SC. Nice dealership, super nice Sales Manager, Tom M., who let me drive what turned out to be his personal C32 that was broken in and I could see how they really perform. Well, it runs like a 4 door Vette, only a lot smoother and quieter. My wife likes it more and more each day. Just looking thru the car selections and the times 0-60 and 1/4 mile on other cars, man, this thing stays up with a stock Vette and outruns the Cobra SVT. It is an addictive machine. I like the M3, but ruled it out because of no automatic. I knew of nothing else in this class of power, style, ride, handling, and having an automatic. I never thought I would own a nice ride like this (bank really owns it, letting me pay by the month), but glad that I do. I find the Z06 sitting a little more than it used to....
Old 02-02-2002, 11:31 PM

C32 AMG, Volvo S80T6
I was down to three choices

The Audi A6 4.2, the BMW 540i Sport, and the C32. If you drive them all, the C will blow your mind. The Audi is an amazing car with the Quattro system but for brute force, the C is the car of choice. I also always wanted an AMG vehicle and this was the first one that I could afford. Well when it rains it pours cause I liked this one so much that I ordered an E 55 which is due in or around April of '03. The BMW was not in the running for me although it too was a very nice car. I was just so impressed with how well MB had the engine tuned and the sound is enough to make you melt. After I hear it I feel like I should pull over and have a cigarette.... its actually that good.
Old 02-03-2002, 04:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I bought my C32 mainly because I'm planning to form a family and its better to have a 4dr car in a family (traded a CLK430 for it). My friend has a E55 of which I've driven a couple of times, a very powerful engine but I dont want to buy a car which will have a restyling in a few months time.

So C32 is my prime choice. But just to be fair to other car mfgs, I did test drove a couple before made up my mind. I was considering the A6 4.2, which I think its a great car but the acceleration is not very impressive, I think thats because of 4wd and the weight of the car. Although I've never been a fans of BMW, I test drove the M5 anyways. A fast car, other than that, I dont have much to say except its VERY expensive.If I were to pay that kind of money for a M5, I think I'll get a 996 instead. Had an appointment to test drive the Jaguar S-type but eventually I didnt show up because my MB sales manager called me & said he had allocated a C32 for me from the east coast. So I went down and paid the deposit (I havent even seen the catalog of the C-class, but I must admit that this is a very risky move!!!) Hehe!

As it turns out that my C32 only gives me more and more positive surprises everyday. I love my C32!
Old 02-04-2002, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL450, Sienna SE
The C32 is such a beautiful machine...so refined and so fast. It will replace my 1999 C43 in about a year. The C43 has about 55K miles now and so before the value hits rock bottom like when I traded in my C36 for my new C240 I want to get the C32. I love Mercs. What can I say. After having my first Mercedes which just happened to be a 1995 C36 I can't ever go back. We've had audi's, BMW's, and Lexus and I still think Mercedes is the best. The C32 is a clear example of this.